Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Dates Ireland *read first post*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

I don't like the sob stories either, not because I'm insensitive but because I personally would never bring those things up on a first date. I have my past as we all do, but I'm not going to burden someone else with it on a first date, and I wouldn't really want them to tell me all their dark stuff straight away either. And I say burden because it is one when you don't really know the person - you get landed with this heavy stuff and are then burdened with having to act empathetic and concerned as if it was a dear friend telling you this. Which is daft to have to do when two thirds the time you're just going to go your separate ways after the show.

Half the battle of getting a 2nd date (esp for men) seems to be just get through date number 1 without looking like a crazy person or making it blatantly obvious why you're single. So I would just want to be able to try and look normal, not be forced tell Claire from Kildare who I just me about how I had to overcome an addiction to Pokemon cards or how the other kids in school used to pinch my man boobs or whatever.

• It's only when the girl from last week's show, Rachel I think it was, said she'd rather not go into her husband's death that you realize how open the majority of contestants are to talking about really personal stuff.

I'm always flummoxed by how much people share on their first dates.

Stuff that I wouldn't share with acquaintances that I've known years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

+1 for hating overshares. It HAS to be something contestants are encouraged to do, I don’t think I’ve ever had someone bring up family deaths on a first date (and I’ve dated some absolute melts too :pac:). The only time I think it’s fair enough is when it’s elderly people talking about partners that have passed, simply because those kind of discussions are actually discussions people of that age do have unfortunately and it doesn’t come across as hammy or for the cameras.

When the girl the other week refused to talk about her late husband, I had the world of respect for her for drawing good boundaries and not using a death to get extra TV time. Again that may be slightly unfair if contestants are specifically told to do this but it is how they look at the end of the day. It makes me not want to go dating at all again when the world opens back up: I don’t want some randomer I’ve just met to start telling me about the worst moment of their life!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

leggo wrote: »
    When the girl the other week refused to talk about her late husband, I had the world of respect for her for drawing good boundaries and not using a death to get extra TV time. Again that may be slightly unfair if contestants are specifically told to do this but it is how they look at the end of the day. It makes me not want to go dating at all again when the world opens back up: I don’t want some randomer I’ve just met to start telling me about the worst moment of their life!

Especially if you know you're not going to see that person again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I think when it comes to oversharing on a 1st date, you've got to be very careful.
    Sharing too much can make people run a mile. Lots of time to share the issues/history on subsequent dates when you know each other better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I think when it comes to oversharing on a 1st date, you've got to be very careful.
    Sharing too much can make people run a mile. Lots of time to share the issues/history on subsequent dates when you know each other better.

It's happened before. There have been a couple of them who have declined a 2nd date saying the other person 'was still on their journey', which is fair enough.

We all have some skeletons, no need to introduce the other person to all of them on the first date.

I think that episode that was " pulled" last week, last episode of season, is ' good to go' tonight?????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭furiousox

No, it's a "best of" tonight?

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    No, it's a "best of" tonight?

On the rte website it says " series6, episode 12, last in season".......... I think its the missing ' link' from last week??????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I am applying to take part in the new season.
    I have had 3 incidents of personal/family trauma in my life. A child who was killed, a nephew who committed suicide, a nephew battling cancer who won't survive it.
    I would under no circumstances talk about these on a date. Apart from my date's feelings, do I want the voyeurism involved with a TV programme?
    Almost all of these "voyeurs" would be rooting for me but really, do any of us need or want this?

• Advertisement

I have had 3 incidents of personal/family trauma in my life. A child who was killed, a nephew who committed suicide, a nephew battling cancer who won't survive it.
    I would under no circumstances talk about these on a date. Apart from my date's feelings, do I want the voyeurism involved with a TV programme?
    Almost all of these "voyeurs" would be rooting for me but really, do any of us need or want this?

No Kathleen......the clue is in the title....FIRST dates. I'm probably olde skool but I reckon first date conversation should be along the lines of " where did you grow up, go to school, any siblings, you like sport, coronation Street OR eastenders" ... that kinda thing. You hear owt back about your big 'breakthrough'????

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭IngridM20

Vino chilling for tonight’s episode. I hope it’s new and not a ‘best of’!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

No Kathleen......the clue is in the title....FIRST dates. I'm probably olde skool but I reckon first date conversation should be along the lines of " where did you grow up, go to school, any siblings, you like sport, coronation Street OR eastenders" ... that kinda thing. You hear owt back about your big 'breakthrough'????

No cos to be honest I filled out the form twice but didn't press send.

I dunno is it for me. I am a bit nerdy to be honest.
    I don't care if I get a second date or not. Not even worried about the TV programme. I can talk to anyone. People who are socially awkward can even talk to me. I am worrying I might be an embarrassment to my kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

I wouldn't worry about that Kathleen, anyone who watches the show regularly would normally be of an age and maturity level where they say fair play to someone going on it, as it takes a brave person to put themselves out there, most people respect that.

Most of the 'slagging age' types would be still in school and that age group don't watch it that much really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Respect innit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

A Two Johnnies fan if I ever seen one

Sarah seems nice......shes a bag of nerves but tipperary lad got a good hand of cards here

• Registered Users Posts: 18,591 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Goodnight everyone, I haven't watched this on Thursdays in a few weeks.
    I missed you all so much:P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭pgj2015

what is with all the men this season pretending they are straight?

Goodnight everyone, I haven't watched this on Thursdays in a few weeks.
    I missed you all so much:P

My sarcasm radar " pinged" there??????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Shocked this lad was looking for a woman - 'blondes have more fun' was his quote and all!!

The Beninese-Irish one is very pretty. Confident dress choice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭WildWater

You’re too old to be using ‘like’.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭pgj2015

what is your cats name? who cares, its a cat. haha pretending he cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Nigerian Irish 1 in the red dress is a stunner!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I just noticed that you can apply to be a background diner on it too lol and no I am not applying even though I have thought about it a few times.
    There was even a few on it when I thought would not mind meeting that person or I think we would get on good together but I doubt I would get that lucky of I did apply and the embarrassment if you made a balls of it plus I do not like my voice. Seriously I sound like a druggy and not in a good way. Maybe other people do not think that but it's what I think that and a blocked nose would not sound good on the TV and I could never do it during Covid anyway. Also I am not that desperate lol.

Sarah in forty years

2694b28288db1318561ca1ae2ed7fa3d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Ugh. Speaking about a cats arse.
    Vile.
    Hate them anyway but the way she speaks of them.. puke

I'm getting "vibes" off that lad too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Whestsidestory

Blonde highlights guy looks like Oliver callan