Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Dates Ireland *read first post*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

armaghlad wrote: »
    If I was a woman I'd be letting men wine and dine me all the time. If a man is stupid enough to do that, why not take advantage?

I was once stupid enough to do such, now I just meet for a coffee or a drink first to see if there's a connection first, rather than spend/waste up to 100 quid on hours of awkwardness with some beure ill possibly never hear from again.

ya id never go for meals on a first date or for a good few dates after so I just go meet up for drinks. its just me personally I wouldn't let a man I had no interest in, buy me drink or pay for my meal, that's all I'm saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

fin12 wrote: »
    ya id never go for meals on a first date or for a good few dates after so I just go meet up for drinks. its just me personally I wouldn't let a man I had no interest in, buy me drink or pay for my meal, that's all I'm saying.
    Yeah no I understand and that's very good of you...

What are women's expectations of a man when it comes to dating?

I took a girl out for a couple of dates a few months back. She turned out to be as dry as an African footpath but I gave her a second chance because she was kinda hot. Anyway she lived about 60km and could drive (a4 sline), but was old fashioned and wanted me to come collect her and leave her home. Went for a meal - I let her choose where - and ended up in this overpriced ****e restaurant that Tyrone people think is good for some reason. After a mediocre meal with mediocre company, I paid with a generous tip (she insisted) even though service was poor. After a quick shift dropped her off.

Decided to go for a second date thinking shed maybe liven up a bit and that the first night was nerves. This date was in the cinema which is close to me (4km), but she insisted I collect her and drive her home rather than her drive herself over. I thought that was kinda lousy? She also didn't offer to pay for anything, it's good etiquette for a girl to at least offer, even though I'd never actually let her. I thought she would have at least paid for the sweets/popcorn in the cinema though given it was my birthday! After that debacle I was convinced she just likes having people take her out as she is never done dining out going by her Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

smash wrote: »
    Being a gentleman doesn't mean that you pay for a woman who's self sufficient.

What about just being nice?

Think about there are 3 options regarding the bill if on a date:

1) Expect the other person to pay: Totally unacceptable and not expected.

2) Share the bill: the minimum one would expect and easiest to do and won't offend anyone.

3) One party pays. Not expected but the only thing one party can do to be nice and do something above minimum expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Re the meal, I think the lady shouldn't of made such a big deal when he offered to buy it for her. It was a kind gesture, and a compliment to her company. I think it would have been fair of her to just refuse and make a little joke but when he insisted she got cranky and made him feel like it was a bad thing for him to offer.
    Surely in this day of age she has been in situations when a guy has paid for her dinner, or, on a smaller scale for her drink.
    It isn't an insult to her femininity nor a pathway to her pants, its just an act of kindness that many guys have a habit of doing.
    If he didn't offer that is fair game. That was the only other option for her as clearly, conversely she had no intention that she would pay the bill going by her logic of "we both earn a wage, i don't understand why we don't split it".
    I have a feeling she was using the refusal as a defence mechanism as she had clearly made her mind up very quickly she wasn't into him while he seemed very enthusiastic throughout the date. She probably, out of guilt, didn't want him thinking she was giving him a bit of hope!

I think many men and women would have thought it was ruder if he came out with "ok, lets split this". It isn't rude, there isn't anything wrong with it but it just translates rude.

And many women would depict that as rude I imagine.

He kind of pushed it a bit also which made the scene just seem awful awkward but he clearly was out to impress her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Re the meal, I think the lady shouldn't of made such a big deal when he offered to buy it for her. It was a kind gesture, and a compliment to her company.

Which is the complete opposite of when he decided to get up mid-meal and go for a smoke :D:D

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    Which is the complete opposite of when he decided to get up mid-meal and go for a smoke :D:D

huh? I don't think in this day of age someone going for a fag during a long meal is that bad! I don't smoke myself but I certainly wouldnt hold it against someone if the needed a cigarrete !They appeared to be between courses so it wasn't the worst!

He did seem to be, even admitting it himself, a bit socially inept!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Mindset

Mindset wrote: »
    Why do women insist on paying when the guy is trying to show you hes a gentleman?
    Its a date !!

I just think its nice to offer regardless of whether you want to see her again. If i had a son thats what id bring him up to do. I know being a gentleman is so much more than paying for dinner but even that player guy was like ' no way im paying and thats the end of it' and that girl was so impressed with that and genuinely grateful. Meh i just think women shouldnt play miss independant all the time. Men like to feel like a gentleman sometimes so lets not take that from them too ;)

You answering yourself mindset ����

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Mindset

You answering yourself mindset ����

Sorry im new at this 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Ye would watch anything, officially

• Advertisement

This one seems like a bit of a gob****e

So your man says one out of four in Rathoath are gay??? Jesus, must be a LOT of closet gays hiding in the Meath village then!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

I don't think he's going to be into her..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭PandaX9

Your man, the personal trainer(?), looked mad uncomfortable with the idea of getting a bottle of wine. Bizarre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

So your man says one out of four in Rathoath are gay??? Jesus, must be a LOT of closet gays hiding in the Meath village then!

No, he said he was one of maybe 4 gay people in his town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Why is the PT acting so ignorant? He's not saying anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

The two lads seem a bit of an odd match but they seem to be getting on well!

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Why is the PT acting so ignorant? He's not saying anything!

I feel horrible saying this but his reaction to the menu, his reaction to the bottle of wine suggestion and the whole "Steak? no!" comment gave me the impression that all he was thinking about was the cost of the dinner. But could be wrong of course

No, he said he was one of maybe 4 gay people in his town.

i thought he said my dating options are limited, theres like one in four gay people where I live" (or something close to that quote)

But yeah, that makes more sense!

so it's a quota of 1 gay date per show then? that's the formula so far anyway.

• Advertisement

PandaX9 wrote: »
    I feel horrible saying this but his reaction to the menu, his reaction to the bottle of wine suggestion and the whole "Steak? no!" comment gave me the impression that all he was thinking about was the cost of the dinner. But could be wrong of course

I picked up on that too

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

What is Kirk actually saying ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

Your man, the personal trainer(?), looked mad uncomfortable with the idea of getting a bottle of wine. Bizarre!

I think he's uncomfortable with the lack of decisions he's getting to make.
    It sounded like they were only allowed 2 courses?
    She decided on the choc fondant which is for 2 so the only choice he gets to make is the main course as she has seemingly decided on the wine also.
    Ha ha good woman:D

these, i predict, wont be a match AT ALL!

What the absolute f did your man just say? I just can't get those Southern Hemisphere accents at all..

Also, the little bit with the waistress was nice but Jesus you'd think they'd pick a shot other than her looking around vaguely with her mouth open :D

these, i predict, wont be a match AT ALL!

they sort of showed that in the preview shown at the end of the show last week. is he south african. reminds of that spitting image song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Also, the little bit with the waistress was nice but Jesus you'd think they'd pick a shot other than her looking around vaguely with her mouth open :D

She's very cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Carolyn and your man.... ouch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

This not going well atal for that South African chap :pac:

Advertisement