Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's The Queens Birthday Day.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

karma_ wrote: »
    So you're saying we should off the royals and open them all up to visitors, sounds good to me.

The Englishian citizens should force them to pay tax on every cent they receive from the real folk of the UK working people. The queens and kings of old are not needed in the new world imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Woman Drives Land Rover. What an incredible story and achievement.

There's no hope for perople like you dirty gee. Even the most Republican of people would acknowledge her as being more than just being able to drive Land Rover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

LordSutch wrote: »
    There's no hope for perople like you dirty gee. Even the most Republican of people would acknowledge her as being more than just being able to drive Land Rover.

Oh the dream of getting paid billions just to look good in the open on a sunny day of a birthday with carriages and fine horses and military men, I wish my birthday was so extravagant at a huge monetary cost.

They in the big house/mansion on the east should be made to make marmalade on toast for 60 years non-stop to pay back to the real dedicated folk of their Island. Time to give a bit back instead of showing and parading their millions it cost to host their parade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Woman Drives Land Rover. What an incredible story and achievement.
    tis if you a woman (forbidden to drive in Saudi Arabia) driving Abdullah (the de facto ruler of Saudi Arabia) in the back, imploring the driver to slow down in the Scottish highlands! How many women have driven the King or ruler of Saudi Arabia? Or were a mechanic who once fixed vehicles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

maryishere wrote: »
    tis if you a woman (forbidden to drive in Saudi Arabia) driving Abdullah (the de facto ruler of Saudi Arabia) in the back, imploring the driver to slow down in the Scottish highlands! How many women have driven the King or ruler of Saudi Arabia? Or were a mechanic who once fixed vehicles?

She drove a Land Rover, big ****ing deal.

It's no great achievement.

Not many women have met the King of Saudi Arabia so are obviously not going to have an opportunity to drive them around.

This is exactly the kind of pathetic sycophantic behaviour towards the royals that is pure bull. Thinking that performing a basic task that most people perform is somehow a wonderful achievement.

• Advertisement

and you're forgetting that most of the royal palaces in the UK are closed to the public, so they can't get visitors!

So how are they supposedly a central theme of most tourists visits to the UK (as was stated earlier) when they aren't open to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

She drove a Land Rover, big ****ing deal.

It's no great achievement.

Not many women have met the King of Saudi Arabia so are obviously not going to have an opportunity to drive them around.

This is exactly the kind of pathetic sycophantic behaviour towards the royals that is pure bull. Thinking that performing a basic task that most people perform is somehow a wonderful achievement.

You must be really happy that it's another countries problem then. It's amusing how worked up some people get over the British monarchy. At the moment the British people support the current system. Simples. Nothing to do with the Republic of Ireland.

I would have thought a more pressing issue for the Irish would be the continued involvement of the church in your schooling system.

timthumbni wrote: »
    You must be really happy that it's another countries problem then. It's amusing how worked up some people get over the British monarchy. At the moment the British people support the current system. Simples. Nothing to do with the Republic of Ireland.

I would have thought a more pressing issue for the Irish would be the continued involvement of the church in your schooling system.

I'm not getting worked up about it at all.Just responding to the bullsh1t theory that driving a land rover is a great achievement.

Are people no longer allowed to comment about other countries?

I'm not getting worked up about it at all.Just responding to the bullsh1t theory that driving a land rover is a great achievement.

Are people no longer allowed to comment about other countries?

Fair enough. Tourists do love the British royalty thing though. Everyone goes to Buckingham palace for selfies and love it. Even from outside and the changing of the guard etc etc, Whether you like it or not they do.

There are still quite a few monarchies throughout the world. Sure the yanks despite being a different system still has their political dynasties running the show. Kennedys, bush, Clinton etc.

We even have our own little lad running the show here from his big house in the Phoenix Park, but unfortunately he does not draw many tourists or pay his way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

timthumbni wrote: »
    Fair enough. Tourists do love the British royalty thing though. Everyone goes to Buckingham palace for selfies and love it. Even from outside and the changing of the guard etc etc, Whether you like it or not they do.
    None of that actually requires the monarchy though, places like France and Austria do very well from 'monarchy tourism' and have been republics for a long time, the buildings and pomp don't just disappear unless you make them, a republic can still have a changing of the guard if they want it

a republic can still have a changing of the guard if they want it

we could have a changing of the little man up in the Phoenix park ( our Presidency inc ex-presidents costs millions per year to maintain) in to a Leprachain outfit, would that attract many tourists I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭cocaliquid

Her Birthday parties in the past had some questionable guest Ralf Harris , Jimmy Savile. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The Queen makes British people proud to be British. But in reality there were the second cruelest colonialist in History. Belgium was number one enough said. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Its not the Queens birthday any more so why is this thread still relevant?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

we could have a changing of the little man up in the Phoenix park ( our Presidency inc ex-presidents costs millions per year to maintain) in to a Leprachain outfit, would that attract many tourists I wonder?

I doubt it not that it has any relevance to anything.

I doubt it not that it has any relevance to anything.

The cost of maintaining our overpaid Presidents and ex-Presidents and families and staff and hangers on is of a lot more relevance to us in Ireland than the cost of maintaining the Royals (which costs the UK person 53 p a year and us nothing) is.

None of that actually requires the monarchy though, places like France and Austria do very well from 'monarchy tourism' and have been republics for a long time, the buildings and pomp don't just disappear unless you make them, a republic can still have a changing of the guard if they want it

But there is no real appetite at the moment to disband the British monarchy though, is there? That's the key point.

If the British people want change then they will change it. I'm not sure why you have that wee Irish president guy. But to be honest as its another country I wouldn't worry about it. (And I actually quite like yer wee man Higgins as he is obviously intelligent and he also reminds me of Lord of the rings.)

The cost of maintaining our overpaid Presidents and ex-Presidents and families and staff and hangers on is of a lot more relevance to us in Ireland than the cost of maintaining the Royals is to the UK.

So how does commenting that the president is short and suggesting he be dressed up in a stupid outfit make any difference to that.

You're post was extremely idiotic.

cocaliquid wrote: »
    Her Birthday parties in the past had some questionable guest Ralf Harris , Jimmy Savile. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The Queen makes British people proud to be British. But in reality there were the second cruelest colonialist in History. Belgium was number one enough said. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This post is hilarious. Epic. Lol.

So how does commenting that the president is short and suggesting he be dressed up in a stupid outfit make any difference to that.
    He cannot help being very short. He could turn it to his advantage and dress up as a leprachain, he might attract a few tourists then. We are paying millions a year to our Presidents and ex-Presidents and families and staff and hangers on...least they could do is attract a few tourists and at least attempt to pay their way?

• Advertisement

He cannot help being very short. He could turn it to his advantage and dress up as a leprachain, he might attract a few tourists then. We are paying millions a year to our Presidents and ex-Presidents and families and staff and hangers on...least they could do is attract a few tourists and at least attempt to pay their way?

Yeah what a great idea why wasn't it though of before.It's such a good idea that the money that it would raise might pay off all the debt the country has accumulated bailing out the banks.You really are doing the country a great disservice by not going into politics and putting forward this suggestion to the voters.

I'll leave that to you, you are more worked up about our neighbours in the UK paying 53p a year than about us paying an awful lot more (per head) for the little President fella and his office.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Oh the dream of getting paid billions just to look good in the open on a sunny day of a birthday with carriages and fine horses and military men, I wish my birthday was so extravagant at a huge monetary cost.

They in the big house/mansion on the east should be made to make marmalade on toast for 60 years non-stop to pay back to the real dedicated folk of their Island. Time to give a bit back instead of showing and parading their millions it cost to host their parade.

It's already been pointed out on this thread that revenue from the Queen's inheritance covers her cost.
    The money is given to Parliament and a stipend is granted less than the total value of the wealth surrendered.

If she were a private citizen she would be under no obligation to give up her incomes.

cocaliquid wrote: »

More cruel than the French and Spanish? More cruel than the Ottomans, the Russians or the Americans? Than the Qing empire? How are you ranking this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

I'll leave that to you, you are more worked up about our neighbours in the UK paying 53p a year than about us paying an awful lot more (per head) for the little President fella and his office.
    Add your reply here.

Why do you, Timthumbni keep making reference to Higgins height in a barely disguised contempt sort of manner? It is always the same with you two, and IWasFrozen is another one to add to the mix. Pathetic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lurkio

Why do you keep typing the same statement repeatedly?

Eutow wrote: »
    Add your reply here.

Why do you, Timthumbni keep making reference to Higgins height in a barely disguised contempt sort of manner? It is always the same with you two, and IWasFrozen is another one to add to the mix. Pathetic
    I just found it funny, if that's ok with you Sabina.

LordSutch wrote: »

Yep, she can probably even dress herself.

Lurkio wrote: »
    Why do you keep typing the same statement repeatedly?

Why are you ignoring the poor value Sabina / Eutow and her husband are giving us? Our taxes are not paying the royals, they are paying for our presidents and ex presidents and hangers on.

• Advertisement

Why are you ignoring the poor value Sabina / Eutow and her husband are giving us? Our taxes are not paying the royals, they are paying for our presidents and ex presidents and hangers on.

That isn't what this thread is about, is it?

Why do you keep posting the more or less same sentences again and again?

Advertisement