Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arkham Asylum & City Remaster (PS4 & XONE)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

To be fair there's plenty of people out there who haven't played the games for whom this is a great entry point. I know a few people on PS4 who skipped the last gen. Plus playing good games with better graphics and higher performance is something that appeals to a lot of us.

I was hoping for good remasters of Arkham Asylum, Bioshock, TLOU, GTA IV & V and Red Dead Redemption from the last gen. I'm happy to leave the rest of my back catalogue of PS3 games as they are but upgraded versions of the above? Yeah I can get on board with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

They should be released at half the price at LEAST (or get both games in the 1 pack)
    If they get released at full whack seperately then I'm done with buying another game from them.

I already own the games on PS3, Xbox and PC (I won't be buying the remaster anyways...but keeping an eye on them from a company practice standpoint)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yupp, i was hoping to replay these at some stage anyway, thoroughly enjoyed doing everything they had to offer although the riddler stuff in City took the piss but at least it didn't have Batmobile rodless riddles.

I found the challenge rooms very addictive and i don't even usually touch modes like that so wouldn't mind getting a good points battle with people in here either.

It's selling for 50 euro rrp that bundles both games and all released dlc. Will see how reviews go anyway as someone said, not sure if the delay is a good or bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

SeantheMan wrote: »
    They should be released at half the price at LEAST (or get both games in the 1 pack)
    If they get released at full whack seperately then I'm done with buying another game from them.

I already own the games on PS3, Xbox and PC (I won't be buying the remaster anyways...but keeping an eye on them from a company practice standpoint)

Both game are in the pack with the dlc, it's not full price either. I don't know where people got that from.
    Its £30 on Amazon so will probably be 40-45ish here in the bricks and mortar except in Gamestop of course. Have both on 360 & replayed it this past summer so have don't need to buy it

Hearing it's a bit of a poor port. Whatever about getting laggy in corridors, if that was to happen in the middle of combat in Shock & Awe and wrecked a mega combo, i'd probably put the joypad through the telly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

As I understand it, this was made by the same idiots who handled the AK PC port.

How were those people ever allowed to work in the industry again?!

That's a shame. I've a mate who didn't play on PS3 at all so I'll likely still recommend the games to him but if it is as mediocre as suggested I'll stick to PS3 or pick them up next time they're reduced on Steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'll wait for the bargain bin if I bother at all. Disappointing that it is locked to 30fps and even then it still stutters.

Playing them on Steam is the only way now. I'm sure you can get keys for €5 at this stage.

Ever since GFWL ended and the games got updated, the Steam versions have become great ports.

Wh...wh....why does the PS3 version look better than the PS4?? :( The flames and little details looks better than ps4 but overall, I was preferring the PS3 side of the vid below.

I'm mad to play this again purely for the gameplay fun but that is not a remaster, more of a brightened up port.

• Advertisement

Interesting video.

Thing is they have ported the whole thing from Unreal 3 to Unreal 4. So it isn't like they've half-arsed this. The PS4 graphics are definitely better and they've lightened everything to show that. The PS3 games are very dark, partly to hide the limitations of the console.

But this is Batman. And that dark setting and the shadows in the PS3 game really contribute to the atmosphere which is such a huge part of what makes those two games work - and especially Asylum.

Looking at that video, City looks much better on PS4. I think sandbox games like that are where the boost in power of the new gen can really be seen. It was the same with GTA V. The PS3 game still looks great but the more powerful machine helps bring it alive.

Shoddy is Shoddy

• Registered Users Posts: 33,240 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Interesting video.

Thing is they have ported the whole thing from Unreal 3 to Unreal 4. So it isn't like they've half-arsed this. The PS4 graphics are definitely better and they've lightened everything to show that. The PS3 games are very dark, partly to hide the limitations of the console.

That's the problem. These games were dark partly to hide some of the graphical flaws. By changing the lighting in the game for more realistic shadows etc, now those flaws are more apparent.

So anyone bite the batarang and get this today. Saw its 55 in Argos and GameStop didn't have it in stock. Not getting it yet but was just checking prices. 50 on psn seems to be a deal but will surely get it 2nd hand or on sale down the line. Really mad to play them again though.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    So anyone bite the batarang and get this today. Saw its 55 in Argos and GameStop didn't have it in stock. Not getting it yet but was just checking prices. 50 on psn seems to be a deal but will surely get it 2nd hand or on sale down the line. Really mad to play them again though.

Price was way to too rich for my blood, I'd pay 10-15 to play asylum again maybe. No idea why they sell these as bundle only on the digital stores either ,retail I can understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Really mad to play them again though.

Then why not just play them again? Don't you have the originals?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Having sold my original disc of Asylum, I bought it again on steam for about 2, a bit cheaper than this port.
    Pity about the performance here if its that bad, I thought some of the effects in Unreal 4 looked nice.

Then why not just play them again? Don't you have the originals?

Sold them along with my ps3 long long long ago.

42 euro in Argos until tomorrow. Not sure if it goes back to 55 after that our will extend to another date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

42 euro in Argos until tomorrow. Not sure if it goes back to 55 after that our will extend to another date.

Did you get it dude?

How does it look on the TV, rather than a compredssed video? :)

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Did you get it dude?

How does it look on the TV, rather than a compredssed video? :)

No....not yet. Think I'll spring for it though, any videos I see gives me an itching to play them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Sold them along with my ps3 long long long ago.

I've maybe read you post this like 20 times now on Boards :pac:

Cormac... wrote: »
    I've maybe read you post this like 20 times now on Boards :pac:

I was asked a question and gave my answer :)

No....not yet. Think I'll spring for it though, any videos I see gives me an itching to play them again.

I know how you feel.
    If I didn't have them on the auld PC, I'd be at argos right now buying it :D

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I know how you feel.
    If I didn't have them on the auld PC, I'd be at argos right now buying it :D

I got a loan of a ps3 before to play mass effect trilogy but it was a lot of hassle. Arkham games and red dead are the only last gen games I'm mad to play on current gen. Since it's highly unlikely red dead will be remade, just leaves arkham so very tempting, especially as rise of the tomb raider went from a great start to going very stale.

I got a loan of a ps3 before to play mass effect trilogy but it was a lot of hassle. Arkham games and red dead are the only last gen games I'm mad to play on current gen. Since it's highly unlikely red dead will be remade, just leaves arkham so very tempting, especially as rise of the tomb raider went from a great start to going very stale.

If you can hold out, I reckon these will have digital discounts around Black Friday and the PS store "January" sales also.

Physical will be handy if you ever wanna trade in, but CEX are offering €17 cash right now, so that probably won't get better over time!

Picked it up in Argos last week and don't regret it. Went straight into Asylum on Hard mode and cleared it last night, flew through the game getting over half of the Riddler stuff. Highly enjoyed it and debating now whether to get the rest of the riddler stuff, go on to the Challenge Rooms or go straight into City. Only had a tiny bit of stuttery parts that interrupted a combo maybe 3 or 4 times throughout the whole playthrough so nothing too bad. Graphics looked class to me. Much easier to appreciate when you're not looking at a side by side.

Biggest problem was trying to perform moves that you don't unlock until Arkham City :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Mr Arrior

Ive ordered it, got it for 29 pounds on the Game Collection. Im a big fan of the superhero genre so was waiting on it to come out, mainly because I had the third batman installment (Arkham Knight) for a few months waiting to play the first two first.

• Advertisement

Got the platinum in Asylum last night, a lot easier 2nd time round but still a lot of fun. Thought I might have gotten a bit burnt out but went straight into City. City definitely got the better treatment in the graphics remaster, looks really good.

Advertisement