Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would you consider WWE etc "sport"

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

The result in those events is not pre determined.

That is the number 1 reason it is not a sport because the result is pre arranged it can't be considered a sport.

I don't understand how people are not understanding this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,981 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

It's not a sport, but it is sporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The result in those events is not pre determined.

That is the number 1 reason it is not a sport because the result is pre arranged it can't be considered a sport.

The end product is. They plan their routine and execute it. They do it to win medals. With the shady history of the Olympics, it's not all that legit in fairness. Over the last few months we've had 4 Irish athletes get their medals upgraded due to drug busts.

The Pro wrestlers don't compete for medals, they compete to win ratings and get fatter pay packets. Also as fake as it is, the champions and headliners command higher pay than the people starting the shows and also higher appearance fees for private events. Being a WWE Champion is akin to Oscar winner for them. Once they leave the company, they can headline some p1ssant show based on the fact they were 'the guy' and make more money than those who had not been champion.

By the way, I don't think it's sport but then I also don't think synchronized swimming, darts, horse racing and a bunch of other so called sports should be called sports either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Wompa1 wrote: »
    The end product is. They plan their routine and execute it. They do it to win medals. With the shady history of the Olympics, it's not all that legit in fairness. Over the last few months we've had 4 Irish athletes get their medals upgraded due to drug busts.

The Pro wrestlers don't compete for medals, they compete to win ratings and get fatter pay packets. Also as fake as it is, the champions and headliners command higher pay than the people starting the shows and also higher appearance fees for private events. Being a WWE Champion is akin to Oscar winner for them. Once they leave the company, they can headline some p1ssant show based on the fact they were 'the guy' and make more money than those who had not been champion.

The results of wrestling matches are decided before the matches take place it is not a competition whereas synchronized swimming,gymnastics etc are a competition.If they **** up their routine they won't win a medal.

Wresting can in no way be considered a sport as the matches are not competitions over who the best wrestler is it is purely a performance like a pantomime is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,622 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Of course not. But then, "real sport" bores me to tears.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sumo or Turkish wrestling would be more real.

At this stage I've very little interest in the Olympics due to the number of professionals involved contrary to the spirit of the games. They are allowing professional boxers this time.

This is the last Olympics where you will see amateur wrestling.
    The irony is that it's the last amateur left sport in the Olympics.

Professionals means money and money attracts cheats.

Professionals also means it's the same old faces the only difference is that the venue has changed, they get medals for doing their day job.

For amateurs the Olympics is the pinnacle, for professionals it's just one more stop on the circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Wompa1 wrote: »

By the way, I don't think it's sport but then I also don't think synchronized swimming, darts, horse racing and a bunch of other so called sports should be called sports either.

You haven't a clue then is what you are saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Sumo or Turkish wrestling would be more real.

At this stage I've very little interest in the Olympics due to the number of professionals involved contrary to the spirit of the games. They are allowing professional boxers this time.

This is the last Olympics where you will see amateur wrestling.
    The irony is that it's the last amateur left sport in the Olympics.

Professionals means money and money attracts cheats.

Professionals also means it's the same old faces the only difference is that the venue has changed, they get medals for doing their day job.

For amateurs the Olympics is the pinnacle, for professionals it's just one more stop on the circuit.

There have been professionals in the Olympics for a long while now.

Professionalism doesn't damage the Olympics it's having sports like Soccer,Tennis,Golf etc in it where an Olympic medal is not the biggest prize in the game that damages it.

If you only had amateurs in the Olympics nobody would watch as people would know they aren't the best of the best.The original Olympic ideal was opposed to people even trying very hard by training and getting coaching as they thought it was unsporting and sport should be viewed as a hobby. Obviously all that is complete bull as sport (at the top level) is about maximizing your ability and doing what you can to win (within the rules).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not a sport technically but amazed that people get so wound up about it. Don't watch it myself but the athleticism is incredible. I can easily see why people enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

It's athletic pantomime.

• Advertisement
Advertisement