Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would you consider WWE etc "sport"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

eet fuk wrote: »
    You seem sound. I'd bet you have a few interests that would make others cringe.

Sheep loving perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

esforum wrote: »
    Plain and simple, its a soup. No different to Eastenders, etc.

Its scripted, they are acting and everything is fake. After they shout hatred at each other and fight in such a manner that should result in death in every single fight they then go to the same changing room, shower, talk real sport and travel together so they can use the pool lane,

then they go back to work, learn scripts that have been written by professional TV writers, practice entire fights and ACT out scenarios.

Well that just takes the conversation into a whole nother dimension.

Comparing it to say...Oxtail could be considered controversial by some. I myself would have it more along the lines of Potato and Leak, however, minestrone is also a fun soup at times.

None of the above are on sports channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I heard Hulk Hogan took the soup

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Batman once talked about his friend soup on a wrestling show

... I took this thread seriously earlier, now I feel it's gotten to the stage were people will be posting having not read and therefore not responding to earlier posts and just going yeah its fake and not a sport silly wrestling fans... so funny videos of Adam West it is instead of countering these people for me

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Omackeral wrote: »
    It's like someone standing up in the middle of Star Wars and berating a fan of those movies by saying eh this is all fake.
    Noooooooooooo....

*millions of voices suddenly cry out in terror*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Pre-determined, not fake. There's no way in hell a football match has never been rigged either. Do a wrestling match against one of the smaller guys like The Miz and see is it fake lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

callaway92 wrote: »
    Well that just takes the conversation into a whole nother dimension.

Comparing it to say...Oxtail could be considered controversial by some. I myself would have it more along the lines of Potato and Leak, however, minestrone is also a fun soup at times.

None of the above are on sports channels.

ha ha, very good. I shall edit it now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Anyone remember the most electrifing move in sports entertainment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The peoples elbow.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Anyone remember 450lb Kamala coming down off the top rope?!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Electrifying? Surely that's the Shockmaster :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Do WWE even consider themselves sport?

I don't think there's anything wrong with what WWE actually is but I see no reason to suggest they're something that they themselves don't even think they are.

In other words, they're entertainment and happy enough to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

It's acting/entertainment, so I don't consider it sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Are you trolling?

No, Big daddy did beat those 3 guys on his own. I saw it on dickie Davis world of sport with my own eyes. Are you disputing this?

timthumbni wrote: »
    No, Big daddy did beat those 3 guys on his own. I saw it on dickie Davis world of sport with my own eyes. Are you disputing this?

Ah yes. Shirley beating up Terry and Martin.

Ah yes. Shirley beating up Terry and Martin.

It's not Big Daddy's fault what he was christened. You still wouldn't have got into the ring with him for a fair wrestle.

John Wayne's real name was Marion and I bet you wouldn't have tried to belittle him.

timthumbni wrote: »
    It's not Big Daddy's fault what he was christened. You still wouldn't have got into the ring with him for a fair wrestle.

John Wayne's real name was Marion and I bet you wouldn't have tried to belittle him.

He DID choose the name "Daddy" though. That's a pimp name!

He DID choose the name "Daddy" though. That's a pimp name!

Maybe, but that was before the name "daddy" was dope.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Look Big Daddy, it's Regular Daddy!

latest?cb=20090615164324

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

It's not sport because the result is predetermined.

It is however a very dangerous job done by highly trained athletes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,910 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Scripted pantomime performed by highly trained and skilled athletes, sports entertainment the name they use for it describes it perfectly I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So much debate. I'll just leave this here.... Because when it comes down to it. It's all that matters... for ol' vinny anyways :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Professional Wrestling began life as a legitimate sport in the 20s. Classical amateur wrestling, freestyle, greco roman etc. Shoot fights. However matches were long and boring and didn't draw money.

Promoters then decided to predetermine results and that's where modern day pro wrestling developed from. The pageantry and the over the top characters emerged over the decades.

It's an art form that fuses high athletic performance with acting. I think you have to be a fan to fully understand it.

Sports Entertainment as Vince McMahon refers to it as.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

WWE doesnt even define itself as a sport its 'Sports Entertainment' so they dont have to deal with athletic commisions, whatever if its scripted I dont get all the hate, Its a bit of craic and it can be entertaining

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    There is no wrestling. It's just dancing, gymnastics and rehearsed moves. No doubt they have to be big strong and athletic. But it's not wrestling

William Regal
    Dean Malenko
    Mr Perfect
    Bret Hart
    Rick Steamboat
    Randy Savage
    Kurt Angle
    Lance Storm
    Chris Benoit

Brock Lesnar

What do all these have in common? They can all wrestle and used various wrestling moves in their matches, even if the matches were rehearsed, they still executed some great wrestling moves during the course of their matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I guess it's as much a sport as choreographed\synchronized swimming...which the Olympics call a sport. Yip, I'll allow it, I guess.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

ric flair won the royal rumble in 1995

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It isn't a sport and hasn't referred to itself as a sport in years. I don't think calling it a soap is accurate either. It's a weird, crazy thing in its own right. Everyone knows that it is 'fake' but it requires a suspension of disbelief beyond what even a TV show or movie requires. I watched Die Hard yesterday and Bruce Willis didn't have tens of thousands of fans there cheering his every move and booing and hissing at Hans Gruber (although Rickman would totally get cheered by a modern WWE crowd....) When a wrestling match is taking place the guys working have to try to get the crowd invested in their match despite those fans knowing it's not real. This is a huge part of the talent that a successful wrestler will have.

I've gone all over the world watching 'proper' sports. I live and breathe my soccer and NFL teams and have got to watch England in the Ashes in Australia too which was something that I'd wanted to do since I was a kid. But frankly I've seen some absolutely turgid sporting events (and having watched maybe 500 live soccer matches over the last 25 years I've seen more than my fair share of acting and theatrics there) and wouldn't it be nice if some of those events were put on with a dedication to be as entertaining as possible and give as much value for the cost of the ticket as possible rather than sticking one guy up front and trying to steal a 1-0 win?

Two weeks ago I went to Wrestlemania in Dallas at the AT&T stadium. There were 95,000 people there from all over the World and the atmosphere was insane, as it was all weekend at all the other events around town. Someone described fans as being critics which is fair but movie critics don't jump up and down, sing and cheer through movies. People bitch and moan online afterwards but at the time most are swept up in the matches in front of them and desperately want to see their guy win.

It's difficult to describe to anyone who doesn't 'get it' and I used to mock my best mate for watching it so I do understand why some choose to mock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

To those who are fans no explanation is needed, to those who are not fans no explanation will ever be good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I guess it's as much a sport as choreographed\synchronized swimming...which the Olympics call a sport. Yip, I'll allow it, I guess.

The result in those events is not pre determined.

That is the number 1 reason it is not a sport because the result is pre arranged it can't be considered a sport.

Advertisement