Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would you consider WWE etc "sport"

Options
  • 16-04-2016 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭

In work we have a forum (BIG company)

there's a sports section and a TV/Film section

I started a MASSIVE row when I posted a thread asking why WWF threads are in the Sports section rather than TV.

Wrestlers are skilled athletes, and yes, they can get injured (and even killed) but the whole show is scripted (with some improvisation) with planned results.

A Jet Li or Jacky Chan movie is exactly the same (including the potential for injury or death of the participants) , but doesn't appear in Sky sports.

am I a bad person for thinking this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

YOU THINK IT'S FAKE?

*slaps OP in the face*

"It's still real to me dammit!" *cries*

You don't upset the fans of wrestling. They take that **** really seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

They take performance enhancing drugs, so by that measure it's a sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

stimpson wrote: »
    They take performance enhancing drugs, so by that measure it's a sport.

So do people in nightclubs though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I wouldn't consider it a sport since there's only an illusion of competition.
    But I wouldn't take ban it from Sky Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It's not sport when the final result is known

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

genericguy wrote: »
    So do people in nightclubs though

But not compeditively. Unless there is a dance off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

It's a sport, the same way Eastenders is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Remember when WWF changed to WWE... It's entertainment, not sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It's not a sport. Everyone who watches it knows it's not a sport bar young kids. Anyone who says "eh you that's all fake" is a bigger idiot thinking that they're breaking the news to people. Yes, we know. It's like someone standing up in the middle of Star Wars and berating a fan of those movies by saying eh this is all fake. It's entertainment and that's it. However, it's bloody real where I juries are concerned. The outcomes are predetermined but the toll that stuff takes on the performers is very real. Many are crippled or mentally damaged. They are athletes, most definitely.

PS it hasn't been called WWF in 14 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's not sport when the final result is known

A lot of sports know the final results before the start. It's very rare that a top team or ranking player is knocked out in the qualification rounds, so does that mean that only the final is sport and the rest entertainment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Omackeral wrote: »
    It's not a sport. Everyone who watches it knows it's not a sport bar young kids. Anyone who says "eh you that's all fake" is a bigger idiot thinking that they're breaking the news to people. Yes, we know. It's like someone standing up in the middle of Star Wars and berating a fan of those movies by saying eh this is all fake. It's entertainment and that's it. However, it's bloody real where I juries are concerned. The outcomes are predetermined but the toll that stuff takes on the performers is very real. Many are crippled or mentally damaged. They are athletes, most definitely.

PS it hasn't been called WWF in 14 years.

F*** off, I'm not that old am I?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

Not a sport....sport is all about competition where at the outset anyone can win.

With wrestling, the results are all pre determined and what happens in between is planned/scripted for entertainment.

I have never understood the appeal is this.

micar wrote: »
    Not a sport....sport is all about competition where at the outset anyone can win.

With wrestling, the results are all pre determined and what happens in between is planned/scripted for entertainment.

That's fair enough that you don't get the appeal yet you can see it for what it is without being disrespectful.I guess it's similar to Cirque Du Soleil or something like that. Theatre and athleticism for the purpose of entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

You're dead right. It's not a sport and it shouldn't be on a sports channel.
    What's even more amusing is the amount of overgrown children, or adults for want of a better word, who watch it and follow it like it IS a sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

You can't understand why heterosexual men like to watch other oiled up, muscly men in leotards pretend fight with one another????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You can't understand why heterosexual men like to watch other oiled up, muscly men in leotards pretend fight with one another????

As soon as the ultimate warrior was gone, wrestling was never the same!

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    You're dead right. It's not a sport and it shouldn't be on a sports channel.
    What's even more amusing is the amount of overgrown children, or adults for want of a better word, who watch it and follow it like it IS a sport.

Same way people watch Eastenders and Breaking Bad. You're hardly a child for rooting for Jesse Pinkman or Walter White. Imagine someone goes "actually his name is Aaron Paul and he's only an actor, he's not really a drug dealer". It's suspension of disbelief for the purpose of entertainment. You know movies aren't real yet you can want John McClean to kill all the baddies... Spoiler, they aren't really evil

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The guys are athletes, they have an arena, there is competition and there is a prize on the line. But it still aint not sport as it's not a case of who is the best that becomes the champion, it's about who Vinny Mc decides is making the company enough money and will make them more by becoming champ.
    WOoooooooaaahhhhh yyyeeeaeaaahhhhhhhhhhhh.

without being disrespectful.

How am I being disrespectful?

I've seen wwf. I've seen the fans reaction what happens in the ring and I can't get beyond the fact that it's all planned.

I'm a Liverpool supporter. The match on Thursday was amazing....emotional highs and lows....that's sports....result In doubt until the very last kick when dormund had a free kick at the end which if they had scored would have put them through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Would you say that this is the first year that premier league football is sport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Same way people watch Eastenders and Breaking Bad. You're hardly a child for rooting for Jesse Pinkman or Walter White. Imagine someone goes "actually his name is Aaron Paul and he's only an actor, he's not really a drug dealer". It's suspension of disbelief for the purpose of entertainment. You know movies aren't real yet you can want John McClean to kill all the baddies... Spoiler, they aren't really evil

Yes but I'm talking about the typical manchild who goes to these "wrestling" events, shouting, screaming and cheering at these pumped up steroid freaks as if they were really 2 warriors battling it out for a real victory.
    Or the typical manchild going on forums, discussing wrestling events and current wrestling news/gossip as if it was real. Speaking about the characters and their stories in this pantomine like they were in fact discussing reality.

Well done on making the same joke everyone ever has ever made. Also, maybe this thread might give you some other viewpoint, these women are absolute stunners.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056257084&page=142

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

From Sky's point of view they put it on sports because it's one of their most watched products so it makes sense to put it on their premium channels.

I'd consider it an inbetweener between sport and entertainment.

How am I being disrespectful?

I've seen wwf. I've seen the fans reaction what happens in the ring and I can't get beyond the fact that it's all planned.

I'm a Liverpool supporter. The match on Thursday was amazing....emotional highs and lows....that's sports....result In doubt until the very last kick when dormund had a free kick at the end which if they had scored would have put them through.

If you read again what I said , I said fair play to you for explaining that it doesn't appeal to you yet you weren't disrespectful about it. It was refreshing to read. You said it wasn't for you but didn't look down your nose either

galljga1 wrote: »
    Would you say that this is the first year that premier league football is sport?

The best team over 38 games win the league.

Just because the current leaders are an unexpected team does not make all previous campaigns not "sport".

Surely look at man city. Needed a last minute goal to win the league.

Look at Liverpool...leaders with 3 games to go. They could have afforded to loose one. Went to crystal palace and went 3 up. All they had to do was hold that lead. But they conceded 3 goal, drew and dropped 2 points. That was the match where they lost the league....not the Chelsea match.

Arsenal won the league but beating Liverpool by 2 goals in anfield . They needed to win by 2 clear goals and scored their final goal late on in the match.

Yes but I'm talking about the typical manchild who goes to these "wrestling" events, shouting, screaming and cheering at these pumped up steroid freaks as if they were really 2 warriors battling it out for a real victory.
    Or the typical manchild going on forums, discussing wrestling events and current wrestling news/gossip as if it was real. Speaking about the characters and their stories in this pantomine like they were in fact discussing reality.

Most people online that discuss it enjoy the behind the scenes stuff as much as anything else, the real life beefs rather than what's on screen. Sometimes, these real life things play out on screen the odd time and it's fascinating to watch. Take for example this, a wrestler called Matt Hardy was dating one of the female wrestlers Lita for years and she actually cheated on him in real life with another guy in the company called Edge (Adam Copeland). With the internet as it is now, it all became public. They decided to work it Into to the storylines and you could clearly see, if you're in the know, that they were goińg extra hard as in not pulling punches. There's been countless incidents like that over the years.

It's not for everyone and I can see where the ridicule comes from in fairness but thinking you're breaking news to someone by telling them it's fake is more ridiculous than anything else. They already know. Live and let live. For example, one poster said he's a Liverpool fan. To me the notion of following and supporting a team from England and singing in a pub and shouting at a telly (and more often than not rarely actually going to matches) calling Manchester United fans dirty Mancs while calling yourself Scouse or we or us is absurd but it doesn't affect me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Adults don't think it's real. If you read the wrestling forum it's bad mouthing or in some cases praising the owners, writers etc.

But let's not get the truth in the way at thinking grown men thinking its real

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Do people like this actually exist? I read the wrestling forum on here the odd time and none of those guys fit the description. I find that most of the big wrestling fans are actually more like critics than fans, expressing their disappointment at the way their favourite characters are used in the storylines.

RWCNT wrote: »
    Do people like this actually exist? I read the wrestling forum on here the odd time and none of those guys fit the description. I find that most of the big wrestling fans are actually more like critics than fans, expressing their disappointment at the way their favourite characters are used in the storylines.

That's really spot on. Much in the way film buffs would praise an actor's performance or the production of a movie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

The best team over 38 games win the league.

Just because the current leaders are an unexpected team does not make all previous campaigns not "sport".

Surely look at man city. Needed a last minute goal to win the league.

Look at Liverpool...leaders with 3 games to go. They could have afforded to loose one. Went to crystal palace and went 3 up. All they had to do was hold that lead. But they conceded 3 goal, drew and dropped 2 points. That was the match where they lost the league....not the Chelsea match.

Arsenal won the league but beating Liverpool by 2 goals in anfield . They needed to win by 2 clear goals and scored their final goal late on in the match.

Agreed, but other than Blackburn rovers 21 years ago, only 4 teams have won it. It is good to see fresh blood at the top.

Advertisement