Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would you consider WWE etc "sport"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

timthumbni wrote: »
    I reckon big daddy could have beaten any one of these modern primadonna body oil yanks in the ring with one of his famous body splashes. I still have his pictures on my wall. Though What's this crap people are talking about the outcomes being fixed though. I suppose some bouts may be fixed but no more than in boxing or football or tennis.

Of course it's a sport and a very tough one. Yes, they ham it up a bit before the bout but what about boxing and ufc? They do the exact same and why is it only wrestling that some stupid people try to say is fixed? I bet none of these people would be prepared to step into the ring and wrestle the undertaker, big daddy etc.

Once these guys step in the ring it's a war and no me really knows who will end up the victor. It's as real as mom's apple pie.

I really hope that is said, thumb in cheek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

smash wrote: »
    As soon as the ultimate warrior was gone, wrestling was never the same!
    SABU...SABU...SABU...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

sport
    spôrt/Submit
    noun
    an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Yes. Yes it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I bet you call comic books graphic novels.

I've never read a comic book in my life and wouldn't know where to even get one. Also, you're not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

There is a show called 'Soccer AM' that's is shown every weekend on Sky Sports, yet it is an entertainment show. It doesn't call itself a sport, and nobody thinks that it's a sport.

Should this also be removed from Sky Sports?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

You have Pawn Stars, Ax Men and Swamp People on the 'History' channel.
    Is there any music on MTV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Easy, easy, easy!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Next up you will be telling me that Dream Team was not a factual documentary....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

If Darts is a sport, WWE is easily a sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

mansize wrote: »
    If Darts is a sport, WWE is easily a sport

Darts is a competition and the result and what happens in the match is not pre-arranged.

WWF (as it was when I watched) is just a bit of fun but it should be in no way classed as a sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Hello, Pro Wrestling moderator here...

First off re: Is it a sport? well I would have to go along with the definition of what a sport is above and say that that does very clearly fit Pro Wrestling but that of course that the winner of the competition is predetermined. This does not bother Pro Wrestling fans, PW fans enjoy the athleticism and storytelling involved in the product that is in the case of this discussion the WWE. If the performers are good enough just like actors in television shows you can suspend you belief that it is actually storytelling you are enjoying and instead get sucked into the show / matches.

We as fans know that it is pre-determined, we know "The Undertaker" is not literally a deadman or that Bray Wyatt is not really a cult leader but we are not exactly running around telling people it's real now are ? Nope. It does take real athletic ability to be able to do what those people do however and their are real hardships these people have to endure even without talking about what it takes to get to the WWE in the first place (injuries, the road schedule etc)... but we still don't tell people it is real however? We know better than that even if they don't know better than to point out the opposite.

In fact it always amazes me how people who aren't fans of something act towards those who are. Even within this thread (which surprisingly has been better than I had feared) you have people describing wrestling fans as overgrown children or man childs... I mean WTF why insult others for liking something you don't like, for finding some enjoyment in something you don't consider a sport even though it does not even label itself as a sport it labels itself as entertainment (the E in WWE).

Telling a wrestling fan wrestling is fake won't in my opinion piss off too many wrestling fans (at least not adults) instead it will lower their opinion of you for deciding to drop this pearl of wisdom on them. Do you really think they thought it was ? do you really think they needed you to tell them that and that you won't come across as a d!ck for doing so ? can you really not see that it is just as fake as any other show on television (who's fans know it has a predetermined outcome) such as Game of thrones or perhaps more appropriately a soap opera like Eastenders.

Come on though, when it has more in common with Game of Thrones and Eastenders than literally any other sport in the world, you can hardly say its a sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

sabat wrote: »
    I would consider it as much a sport as things like gymnastics or figure skating where participants don't compete directly against each other but are rated on somewhat abstract qualities; the difference being that in wrestling the judges are the fans.

Really? You would class pre-determined scripted sports entertainment in the same category as judged sports?

I can't speak for skating but I can speak for gymnastics. They assuredly do compete against each other, who else would they compete against other than their fellow competitors? The scores are not abstract, the scores are composed of two main factors- the difficulty of their skills, and how well they do those skills. The score is complicated- especially if you are in the mindset of comparing gymnasts to WWE stars- but that's what it boils down to. You will find the same holds true in other sports where scores are given. You do not need a finishing line to be considered a sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,059 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

almost all the shows we watch on tv are not real.

I grew up watching wrestling and still love it to dis day and have attended shows in dublin a good few times. Were not hurting anyone watching it

I do find ufc a bit boring because on the constant submission moves etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

WWE is a bit like watching ballet, some very physically fit people jumping around on a stage following a pre-determined routine.
    I don't think anyone cares if you watch it and think its real or not, or whether its like eastenders/ game of thrones.
    The title of the thread is, would you consider it a sport.
    Its clearly not, but it is entertainment for some, and a money spinner for Sky etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

It's strange that grown adults would actively follow such a childish "entertainment". I cringe when I hear an adult talking about it, like people who drool over those comic book things. Strange world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

It's strange that grown adults would actively follow such a childish "entertainment". I cringe when I hear an adult talking about it, like people who drool over those comic book things. Strange world.

I find people who love sheep to be childish and perverted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Sunday morning when I was a kid:

"Are you still watching that rubbish? It's just a bunch of men in costumes getting up on a stage and trying to pretend that something is real when it's very obviously not. Now get your coat on, we'll be late for mass...."

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

To each their own tbf

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Would you do the same cringing when you hear people fawning over a show like X Factor or Big Brother? I consider those shows utter tripe, but it's entertainment for many, just like WWE and other promotions are for many others.

It's called sports entertainment for a reason. The physicality, the training required to even make it to the ring, is the sports part. The entertainment? Seeing storylines develop or crumble, booing or cheering for certain wrestlers or factions. The fans are the judges, they (those over age 15 anyway) know it's predetermined, but it's fun too.

I don't understand why people have a problem with others enjoying something. Sure South Park done a fantastic episode about it all a few years ago, where one guy quite simply couldn't handle the fact it wasn't "wrestling (Olympic style)" and went nuts when it became hugely popular in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

You seem sound. I'd bet you have a few interests that would make others cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Have to say, I'm not in to wrestling and was genuinely surprised when i found out that thwre were adults in to it, but fair play to you Omackeral (and others) for sticking up for your interests and not taking things personally. I was taking the piss on page 1 but it must be irritating to have to justify your interests and have people basically implying you're a moron for enjoying something.

I read that interest in wrestling peaked during the "Attitude Era" and they reckoned a large part of that is a move away from more soap opera style storylines and more focus being put on the actual wrestling, which I found amusing. But then I loved the story lines when I was younger and didn't really care about the actual wrestling. D GENERATION X!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

It's inoffensive entertainment that you can watch with your kids, sport pantomime, what harm?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    Have to say, I'm not in to wrestling and was genuinely surprised when i found out that thwre were adults in to it, but fair play to you Omackeral (and others) for sticking up for your interests and not taking things personally. I was taking the piss on page 1 but it must be irritating to have to justify your interests and have people basically implying you're a moron for enjoying something.

I read that interest in wrestling peaked during the "Attitude Era" and they reckoned a large part of that is a move away from more soap opera style storylines and more focus being put on the actual wrestling, which I found amusing. But then I loved the story lines when I was younger and didn't really care about the actual wrestling. D GENERATION X!!!!!

There is no wrestling. It's just dancing, gymnastics and rehearsed moves. No doubt they have to be big strong and athletic. But it's not wrestling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    There is no wrestling. It's just dancing, gymnastics and rehearsed moves. No doubt they have to be big strong and athletic. But it's not wrestling

So do you want the name changed as well as it being removed from Sky Sports?

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    So do you want the name changed as well as it being removed from Sky Sports?

No I was simply telling a poster who thought the participants were working on the wrestling aspect instead of theatrics, that it's not actually wrestling.
    They can keep the name if they like, just remove it from sports channel perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Plain and simple, its a soap. No different to Eastenders, etc.

Its scripted, they are acting and everything is fake. After they shout hatred at each other and fight in such a manner that should result in death in every single fight they then go to the same changing room, shower, talk real sport and travel together so they can use the pool lane,

then they go back to work, learn scripts that have been written by professional TV writers, practice entire fights and ACT out scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

People always thought that Big Daddy wasn't that much of an athlete. How wrong they were. He actually could run the 100 yard dash in under 11 seconds and was no slouch at the high jump either.

I remember him single handedly taking on Giant Haystacks, Dave Fit Finlay, and that Aryan skinhead thug Skull Murphy and hammering the lot of them. He was the underdog, 1 against 3, but he used his extra speed and agility to turn the tables and belly splashed the life out of them.

The top Americans at the time, like hulk hogan were simply too afraid to ever tackle Big Daddy. Especially after Daddy gave hogan a beating outside stringfellows nightclub one night after hulk insulted his mother.

• Advertisement

timthumbni wrote: »
    People always thought that Big Daddy wasn't that much of an athlete. How wrong they were. He actually could run the 100 yard dash in under 11 seconds and was no slouch at the high jump either.

I remember him single handedly taking on Giant Haystacks, Dave Fit Finlay, and that Aryan skinhead thug Skull Murphy and hammering the lot of them. He was the underdog, 1 against 3, but he used his extra speed and agility to turn the tables and belly splashed the life out of them.

The top Americans at the time, like hulk hogan were simply too afraid to ever tackle Big Daddy. Especially after Daddy gave hogan a beating outside stringfellows nightclub one night after hulk insulted his mother.

Are you trolling?

Advertisement