Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Leinster A V Edinburgh 19:35 TG4/BBC Alba, 15/04/16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭phog

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Aki makes that tackle on anyone and Connacht fans blow their load. SOB makes that tackle on McCaw and every Irish man cheers. Nothing wrong with it. But it's McFadden and he is hated by a lot of people.

Total overreaction but you have your wish, I'm done with the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

People were saying alesana tuilagi was rightly cited for running into a bloke in World Cup . Same people are falling over themselves to defend oul Fergus from down the road.
    phog wrote: »
    Lunging upwards after starting low is the issue. He clearly hits above the shoulder and there isn't a wrap. That's illegal not awkward.
    tumblr_lgr2bm2sW31qh6ev8o1_540.jpg

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

For me that last try saving tackle looked worse than it was. The Edinburgh guy got back up immediately and kept playing. A fact not recognised in this discussion. The Leinster guy was slightly more worse for wear in that tackle. It looked horrible but on the replay it was a normal tackle. When England was playing Ireland a few months back Mike Brown was kicking Conor Murray and nothing came of it and the same with the French match the tackles were as fierce as that tackle. I say again a great try saving tackle by McFadden

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭LostArt

So yeah, unexpected bonus point win despite an awful first half. Home semi all but guaranteed and we've remembered how to maul semi competently, I'm delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Sean Kinsella

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    For me that last try saving tackle looked worse than it was. The Edinburgh guy got back up immediately and kept playing. A fact not recognised in this discussion. The Leinster guy was slightly more worse for wear in that tackle. It looked horrible but on the replay it was a normal tackle. When England was playing Ireland a few months back Mike Brown was kicking Conor Murray and nothing came of it and the same with the French match the tackles were as fierce as that tackle. I say again a great try saving tackle by McFadden

It certainly saved a try: I'm still not sure it was legal and it just looked worse in slow-motion. I'm saying this as a Leinster fan and frankly, we'll take the points and bank them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

So am I good to see Leinster rewarded with this great showing.

LostArt wrote: »
    So yeah, unexpected bonus point win despite an awful first half. Home semi all but guaranteed and we've remembered how to maul semi competently, I'm delighted!
    Yeah, lots of positives from that match. We were able to switch it up and play a fast attacking game and made tons of yards. 440 metres run; Luke with the most at 69 metres from 6 carries. That ordinary Rob Kearney bloke made two clean breaks and beat seven defenders. Luke made three clean breaks.

The bonus point was an added... ehhh... bonus :), though I suspect our Munster friends won't be too happy that Embra got a LBP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    So am I good to see Leinster rewarded with this great showing.
    great showing? in whose eyes exactly. leinster should be embarrassed with the wealth of talent that apparently they possess. And yet they struggle to play a decent rugby game. Unless their wealth of talent is not what it is made out to be. at least the kearney toh issue was put to bed tonight

great showing? in whose eyes exactly. leinster should be embarrassed with the wealth of talent that apparently they possess that they struggle to play a decent rugby game. unless their wealth of talent is not what it is made out to be. at least the kearney toh issue was put to bed tonight
    It was put to bed on New Year's day. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Aki makes that tackle on anyone and Connacht fans blow their load. SOB makes that tackle on McCaw and every Irish man cheers. Nothing wrong with it. But it's McFadden and he is hated by a lot of people.

Fine margins. Had he managed to wrap his arms he'd have absolutely sinked him into the dirt and I think we'd all be applauding it. As it is I think his technique was a bit lazy and he ended up injuring himself as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

great showing? in whose eyes exactly. leinster should be embarrassed with the wealth of talent that apparently they possess that they struggle to play a decent rugby game. unless their wealth of talent is not what it is made out to be. at least the kearney toh issue was put to bed tonight

Struggled to the top of the table. Defence is a huge part of the game whether you agree ir not. First half was good to a point but individual errors hurt. 40-65 was excellent. Some sloppy defending gave embra a foothold. Huge pressure on connacht tmrw now.

great showing? in whose eyes exactly. leinster should be embarrassed with the wealth of talent that apparently they possess. And yet they struggle to play a decent rugby game. Unless their wealth of talent is not what it is made out to be. at least the kearney toh issue was put to bed tonight

You're adding nothing to this conversation. Why are you looking to dismiss EVERYTHING Leinster does currently? No need to answer. Don't post in this thread again.

neelia11 wrote: »
    Struggled to the top of the table. Defence is a huge part of the game whether you agree ir not. First half was good to a point but individual errors hurt. 40-65 was excellent. Some sloppy defending gave embra a foothold. Huge pressure on connacht tmrw now.
    I suppose it's a must win game for both provinces for vastly different reasons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

.ak wrote: »
    Fine margins. Had he managed to wrap his arms he'd have absolutely sinked him into the dirt and I think we'd all be applauding it. As it is I think his technique was a bit lazy and he ended up injuring himself as a result.

I don't think his technique is lazy, I think he goes in far too aggressively sometimes but his technique isn't good enough to do so legally. He's had a couple of yellows just in the last couple of months for similar IIRC. Should just concentrate on making a legal tackle and bringing the player to ground rather than trying to knock him back 5 metres.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Pressure's for tyres. Connacht players well able to handle the importance of the game ;)

Zzippy wrote: »
    I don't think his technique is lazy, I think he goes in far too aggressively sometimes but his technique isn't good enough to do so legally. He's had a couple of yellows just in the last couple of months for similar IIRC. Should just concentrate on making a legal tackle and bringing the player to ground rather than trying to knock him back 5 metres.

Yeah I agree. He had a very similar tackle not too long ago in the same part of the pitch.

I think we're arguing over semantics btw. Generally in our club we refer to players who don't get low in the tackle as lazy tacklers. Only the big lads get away with soak tackling or high upright tackles. It takes a lot more work to get down low and make a good clear tackle.

having been at that game and soaked to the skin before i went back west what happened was a typical leinster performance. squeeze the life out of anything that is potentially good and be proud of it. strangely as the season has progressed even the most hardened leinster fans are less proud. there is nothing there to see. just a big bunch of lads showing muscle.

And connacht did what exactly that day? Leinster did what they needed to do to get the win in horrible conditions. Leinster have had a season full of disruptions. Pat Lam is on year three at connacht. Leo is in his first year as a coach so deserves to be given time and especially after he had no pre season with his squad.

McFadden's last yellow card was considered harsh by pretty much everyone. Now it's a stick to beat him with?

Of the others, one was for a stamp on Nathan White which was well deserved, and the other was for an illegal clear out of a ruck, but they were not at all similar.

And connacht did what exactly that day? Leinster did what they needed to do to get the win in horrible conditions. Leinster have had a season full of disruptions. Pat Lam is on year three at connacht. Leo is in his first year as a coach so deserves to be given time and especially after he had no pre season with his squad.

First, no need to reply as the poster cannot reply to you here, second, let's try and keep the discussion on the game tonight.

That goes for everyone. Apart from Zzippy who doesn't realise it yet but I've been bookmarking all his bragging posts for the end of the season. Keep them coming Zzippy...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Murphy was poor again.

Not been good since the World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

You're adding nothing to this conversation. Why are you looking to dismiss EVERYTHING Leinster does currently? No need to answer. Don't post in this thread again.
    in what way am i not adding/subtracting from the conversation. i provide an opinion. it may not be what you agree with but it is what i see

in what way am i not adding/subtracting from the conversation. i provide an opinion. it may not be what you agree with but it is what i see

Don't question mod decisions on thread. You're around here long enough to know that. Don't post in this thread again or you'll be taking a break from the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

at least the kearney toh issue was put to bed tonight

I agree. Kearney is clearly better than TOH. Thanks for finally seeing sense :D

Sorry. Just saw mod note.

Leinster vs Edinburgh people, not Leinster vs Connacht...

First, no need to reply as the poster cannot reply to you here, second, let's try and keep the discussion on the game tonight.

That goes for everyone. Apart from Zzippy who doesn't realise it yet but I've been bookmarking all his bragging posts for the end of the season. Keep them coming Zzippy...

Whatever.

Banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Replay of the tackle. To me he has the arm straight out, leads high with the shoulder and should have had a yellow.

https://twitter.com/thepenGW/status/721071218233880576

I think harsh to say high. Look at Fads before he hits. He is well dipped low while standing up. EmbraMan knows his is taking the tackle, stops, and the position of the his feet has him sit back. He is actually quite low. Not really Fergs fault that he does that at the same time Fergs head and shoulders have dipped to make the tackle.

The clash looks and indeed could have been bad for either or both being injured.
    But its rugby. Unless you insist players can only dive to the ground to make tackles around the ankles, this is liable to happen. I wouldnt penalise McFadden.

chippers wrote: »
    He was penalised for not wrapping. I said he should have been penalised for being high. Looks to me like he caught him square on the chin!

He did. But does that mean it was high ? Both players were very dipped. And McFadden unsighted due to dipping his head as well. Is tackling someone around the neck high when a player is burrowing low on a dart for the tryline from a yard out and knocked back ? No. Such hits are never penalised. This one was in open field, and with players at speed. But the principal is the same - Ferg was not standing tall and going for the head/neck of the attacker standing tall.

Buer wrote: »
    Last post on it but this is the moment of impact. If people reckon he isn't connecting above the shoulder with neck or head at this instant, fair enough.

McFadd_zpsbu9swenq.jpg

But look at how Embraman is squatting. He could be on the jacks.
    If a defender is diving in to tackle you and you sit down on the ground at the last instant causing them to hit you high, should they be penalised ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 barry rainey

should have been sent off hope he gets banned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Sean Kinsella

b.gud wrote: »
    While there is some disagreement over what the tackle warrants, I think we can all agree that the Edinburgh winger is made of steel to bounce straight back up from the it :)

Looking at the impact, I was simply incredulous when he regained his feet and then the game, despite seeming slightly dazed (and who can blame him).

It's a hard game; always has been; always will be.

Advertisement