Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Leinster A V Edinburgh 19:35 TG4/BBC Alba, 15/04/16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

corny wrote: »
    Not at all. Attempting to wrap is another way of saying he attempted a legitimate tackle but got knocked backwards in a heavy collision. If true thats not a penalty.

He flew in with his arm straight out, that was a card all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

Good to see Healy put in a decent performance. Both second rows impressive. Fitzy looking sharp in the backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Bazzo wrote: »

You can't start a tackle with your arms around your chest and expect to wrap, where do you want him to put his arms when preparing a tackle?

Good to see Healy put in a decent performance. Both second rows impressive. Fitzy looking sharp in the backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

The ref was clear. The arm was out to wrap but the speed of the impact prevented it. It was a massive impact and a surprise boh players walked away from it. Mitrea is a very good ref, people need to stop being so hysterical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

2+2=5
    its a leinster thing. ye do maths but were never good at it. instead ye do yards. us in the modern realm do metres (and fast metres at that). welcome to the world. ye can continue to win by bludgeoning your way to it but it doesnt have to be loved. the lack of fans in the rds said as much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭blackcard

corny wrote: »
    McFaddens reputation preceding him a little. Don't know how everyone missed the genuine attempt to wrap.

Yellow on the basis of it being high perhaps but not for no arms.

That tackle from McFadden was extremely dangerous, no place for it in rugby, asking for someone to get concussed. Someone needs to have a serious word with McFadden and I was supporting Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭b.gud

Quick question how come Luke was allowed back on? I thought there was some law about not being able to back on after being subbed, unless you are a front row player

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

You can't start a tackle with your arms around your chest and expect to wrap, where do you want him to put his arms when preparing a tackle?

You do have to try and wrap the arm, otherwise it's just a clothesline, he left it straight out. Even a load of Leinster fans here are criticising that tackle, crazy to try and defend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,190 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Good result but unconvincing performance. We hit a purple patch when the game became very ragged for 20 minutes and showed some great skill levels. In the first half, we showed little incision but great ball retention before mistakes inevitably came after 20 phases.

I thought both second rows (MK especially) went well. Cian Healy had a very decent game. Made a great turnover on the deck, some big hits and got through a lot of carrying. Murphy still isn't at the races. VDF is a great player to watch but, being critical, needs to work on his breakdown work. It's a shame Jennings is gone as he should be shadowing him for ruck work.

Ruddock was at the forefront of everything good in the first half but was much quieter in the second half as the game wore on.

Luke McGrath had a good game but I was hoping he'd take a little more on in the first half given his ability around the fringes.

Te'o and Reid both decent. McFadden very mixed. Kearney and Fitz showed they're both quality performers without having to really push themselves hugely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

blackcard wrote: »
    That tackle from McFadden was extremely dangerous, no place for it in rugby, asking for someone to get concussed. Someone needs to have a serious word with McFadden and I was supporting Leinster
    Seriously? WTF. :mad:

Lets get the tackle out of rugby, it's too dangerous. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The ref was clear. The arm was out to wrap but the speed of the impact prevented it. It was a massive impact and a surprise boh players walked away from it. Mitrea is a very good ref, people need to stop being so hysterical.

Ref got it spot on. Nothing to see here. McFadden is an excellent player. Did tons of great stuff tonight and took his tries very well.

The campaign against him is nonsense.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Very entertaining second half anyway, stark contrast to the dirge of a first half. That's the home semi pretty much sorted now...

its a leinster thing. ye do maths but were never good at it. instead ye do yards. us in the modern realm do metres (and fast metres at that). welcome to the world. ye can continue to win by bludgeoning your way to it but it doesnt have to be loved. the lack of fans in the rds said as much

I don't think you actually managed to watch the match given Leinster scored 4 tries all of which were ran in via passes and offloads.

The more Leinster get ahead, the more bitter you're becoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

He is a very good ref in general play but I think he hides a bit on big decisions. I'm pretty annoyed that after teo went up to him with a red eye and said he had fingers put in his eyes that he didn't check. I watched it back again after the game. It shows a replay around 16 minutes and it's a definite red card in my view

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

So I was expecting a tight 4 pointer for us. A BP win is a fantastic result, and whilst Leinster will
    be disappointed with some of the scores they coughed up,

For me it justifies the gamble Leo took, to keep some of the first liners fresh and introduce them gradually back into the squad over the next two games.

Also, how was Fitzgerald not motm?? For a winger he was everywhere, line breaks, try assists, try saving tacked, massive in the breakdown, they even used him in the line out and maul! Himself, Teo and Kearney were fantastic in the first half, Teo and Kearney faded away but Luke kept it up. He was clear motm for me.

First Up wrote: »
    Ref got it spot on. Nothing to see here. McFadden is an excellent player. Did tons of great stuff tonight and took his tries very well.

The campaign against him is nonsense.

Mcfadden had a mixed bag of a game. He took his tries well but you would expect any half decent winger to score those. Defensively he misread the situation a couple of times. His tackle should have been penalised for being high.

The wrap is always subjective. I thought Healys tackle when he got a yellow a week or two back was fine.

Replay of the tackle. To me he has the arm straight out, leads high with the shoulder and should have had a yellow.

https://twitter.com/thepenGW/status/721071218233880576

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

You do have to try and wrap the arm, otherwise it's just a clothesline, he left it straight out. Even a load of Leinster fans here are criticising that tackle, crazy to try and defend it.

I never said he didn't try to wrap or that you don't have to but in order to wrap, your arms need to start wide and 'wrap' around the other player. In this case I believe he would have done so had both players not immediately bounced away from each other due to the force of the collision. In my post I was challenging your point about him flying in with his arm out, where else should it be? A clothesline is when your arm solely makes contact with the upper chest/neck area of an opponent, are you claiming this is in any way similar to this tackle?

Also, I'm not going to automatically change my opinion because a relatively small number of others disagree with it. Using that as a reason to dismiss an argument is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Zzippy wrote: »
    Replay of the tackle. To me he has the arm straight out, leads high with the shoulder and should have had a yellow.

https://twitter.com/thepenGW/status/721071218233880576

How is that high tho? He hits him below the shoulder? That's the law. For me he's clearly trying to wrap. It seems a tad reckless, think the ref got it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

chippers wrote:
    Mcfadden had a mixed bag of a game. He took his tries well but you would expect any half decent winger to score those. Defensively he misread the situation a couple of times. His tackle should have been penalised for being high.

He was penalised.

He did some very good stuff in defence - never shirks the hard stuff. Ran good lines in attack. The guys around him know what he does.

Possible red card for me. Being as lenient as I can be, it's a poor attempt to wrap, big hit to the collar bone.

Being more cynical, it's a no arm shoulder to the jaw. Very hard to be definitive given the speed it happened at but just being a penalty is a terrible call. I'd have expected yellow.

He was penalised.

He did some very good stuff in defence - never shirks the hard stuff. Ran good lines in attack. The guys around him know what he does.

Made two awful reads. The first was him shooting up late and on nobody which allowed a try. The second was shooting up into no mans land on halfway and being bailed out by his cover.

He had a poor defensive game but took his scores well.

.ak wrote: »
    How is that high tho? He hits him below the shoulder? That's the law. For me he's clearly trying to wrap. It seems a tad reckless, think the ref got it right.

To me it looked like the hit started on the chin not the shoulder

He was penalised.

He was penalised for not wrapping. I said he should have been penalised for being high. Looks to me like he caught him square on the chin!

If you call his chin below his shoulder then yes, it's legal. Watch it again, his head snaps back as McFadden's shoulder hits his jaw. Very reckless IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Hmmm. Didn't watch the game but looking at that "tackle" from McFadden he might find himself cited. Was the good ol' style league shoulder charge tackle (think league has banned that now).

No surprises to see .ak defending it, a boards poster more willing to give the benefit of the doubt is not to be found!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I think the laws need to be changed to accommodate the moral outrage that accompanies incidents like the McFadden tackle. Create a new offence for a tackle that's not technically illegal but looks bad. An online poll could be displayed on the big screen to assist the referee. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

He nearly took his flippin head off!

• Advertisement

While there is some disagreement over what the tackle warrants, I think we can all agree that the Edinburgh winger is made of steel to bounce straight back up from the it :)

Advertisement