Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favorite coming of age movies

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

So why quote me with that in your post?

But I didn't quote you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

HensVassal wrote: »
    Jimmy didn't come of age, he just did a load of drugs and couldn't handle when the hooliganism was over.

Really? I didn't take it that way. A young man who thinks he's part of something big and trying to find his identity. With part of the mod scene, he heads away from his boring life to Brighton and he ends up disappointed at the realisation that his idol Ace is actually a bell boy. The ending is left ambiguous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,366 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Goodwill hunting.

HensVassal wrote: »
    Seems to me that very few people know what "coming of age" actually means.

Generally it means (to me at least) the process of going through trials and tribulations and emerging from them over time into a different (sometimes enlightened, sometimes cynical or damaged) person.

I don't see any of this process in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. How do you come of age in 8 hours? The only personality sea change was Cameron's decision to confront his overbearing father.

I don't think it has to involve someone changing or some great self realisation moment, it could involve a very simple story of growing up and wrestling with teenage issues. In Ferris Bueller, as you note the significant change is with Cameron, but one could argue that Ferris learns a deeper appreciation of his friend, his sister becomes a lot less confrontational and hung up about her brother hogging the limelight and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Pretty in pink

Heathers

Donne Darko

timthumbni wrote: »
    Pretty in pink

Heathers

Donne Darko

Ah.

Donnie Darko.

Now why couldn't I think of one of the real greats of recent years. A classic. Think it's highly underrated. The scene where characters at the school are introduced...memorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Mysterious Skin

A grittier and darker take on the coming of age genre, starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt. It can be uncomfortable to watch at times but it's an incredibly moving film.

And any film which has a soundtrack featuring Sigur Ros, Slowdive, Cocteau Twins, Ride and Curve has to be good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭poa

Gommorah.

Advertisement