Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favorite coming of age movies

Options
  • 14-04-2016 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭

I appreciate a good coming of age movie. John Hughes was famous for making coming of age movies in the 80's, Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Ferris Buller's Day Off, If you haven't seen them you've missed out. Saying that I thought it would be nice to make a thread on this particular subject. So what are your favorite coming of age movies?

My favorite movies are Breakfast Club, Stand By Me, and The Sandlot.

Breakfast Club - This movie in all time classic. Five teenagers from different backgrounds(The Rebel, The Jock, The Popular Girl, The Nerd, and The Outsider) comes together during one particular detention, over seen by Assistant Principal Richard "Dick" Vernon, and throughout the film they learn about themselves and each other. It's a bit more than that but it's a good flick. Probably my favorite John Hughes movie.

Stand By Me - As with many Stephen King books, Stand By My was another book that became a good coming of age movie. In this movies four kids(Will Wheaton, Corey Feldman, River Pheonix, and Jerry O'Connell) embark on an adventure to find a dead body of a missing boy, and are tormented by the bully John "Ace" Merrill. Anyway it's a great film that manages to balance comedy with drama very nicely.

The Sandlot Kids - I'm not really sure how popular this movie is, I think it might be overlooked but I remember watching it a lot throughout my childhood. The movie is a coming of age baseball film set in 1962. A kid named Scott Small moves into a new town and joins this group of kids who play baseball a lot. It's really good and has some really funny moments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Brindor

Surf's Up to be quite honest with you.
    That movie is comfy as hell, I could rewatch that again and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The Goonies

Never see it on telly any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The blue lagoon, probably illegal these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

I think The Inbetweeners is fairly representative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Elf.

He may be played by a middle-aged man, but it's still a coming of age movie! Big would probably also qualify by the same reasoning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Cinema Paradiso.

It's an incredibly beautiful film.

Kevin and Perry go Large.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭sinnerboy0

Dazed and Confused...

Amarcord

Boyz n the Hood.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I think Ferris was the teenager all us boys wanted to be in the 80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Parachutes wrote: »
    I think The Inbetweeners is fairly representative.

Of what?

All i saw it representing was how to make an awful, unfunny movie/tv show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Ghost World

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Stand By Me.

Not only is a great film, it also gave me a lifelong hatred of leeches. Whenever I see those evil little barsterds I recoil in absolute terror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Barely 18 xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

smash wrote: »
    Barely 18 xxx

Ooooooo and also, Back door sluts 9.

Lets just say it moved me.... to a bigger house!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Boyhood and the perks of being a wallflower are 2 more recent ones that spring to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

American Graffiti.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Porkys

Prankster:
    "I've an important message for Michael Hunt"

Waitress over the tannoy:
    "Has anybody seen Mike Hunt. Mike Hunt ...."

The old ones are the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Superbad had some funny moments.

Not nearly enough to bracket it with the classics, but one of the better comedies in recent years.

The outsiders.
    The catholic boys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭buried

Juice (1992) Started me turntable obsession so it did

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Torricelli

Trainspotting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭BrianD3

A few that I found memorable

Y Tu Mama Tambien (2002)

Summer of 42 (1971)

Last Summer (1969)

I find a good coming of age movie to be hard hitting and somewhat depressing. E.g. in Stand By Me at the end where it is revealed that River Phoenix's character was killed after intervening in a fight and the line about how you never have friends as good as those you had when you were 12. And on top of that, knowing that River Phoenix himself died at a young age.

Also - American Graffiti - at the end when it is revealed that one of the main characters was killed by a drunk driver and another was missing in action in Vietnam.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Porkys
    Van Wilder Party Liaison
    Now and Then

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

In the name of the rose for Christian Slatter's portrayal of the monk Adso.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I've always had a soft spot for Clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Stand by me is such a great movie. It's set in different country and a much different time then when I grew up but a lot of it really hits home I think

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

The shaw shank redem..... Nah FCK that Batman V Superman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I think Ferris was the teenager all us boys wanted to be in the 80s.

If all the boys wanted to be Ferris, then I'm going to add Dirty Dancing, 'cause all the girls wanted to be Baby.

We all wish we could have been the one to carry a watermelon. (Not a euphemism)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Dazed and confused

Catholic boys

Advertisement