Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favorite coming of age movies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Stand by Me is pretty much the daddy of all coming of age movies.

Personal favorites include,
    Empire of the Sun -Christian Bale was aparently an amazing actor from the outset, even in his first role at the age of 12. You grow up fast in a POW camp.
    Dazed and Confused. A great 'slice of life' peice Americana that really captures the feel of an adult world pending just around the corner, but not yet!
    Rushmore, actually pretty much all of Wes Anderson's output.
    The Dreamers. Bernardo Bertolucci's film is about, the cinema, hiding from the world in adolesence and naked sex games with Eva Green. What more could a movie buff want in a cuming of age drama....

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

Pretty in Pink
    I never fancied Molly Ringwald but Andrew McCartney was so dreamy.
    Harry Dean Stanton was in it too.
    Harry Dean Stanton is still cool.
    I am now older than the groovy chic who owned the record store which is sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

Kids

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Deliverance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Different perspective and an earlier stage of life than normally associated with the term "coming of age" but Inside Out is a perfect movie.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

maudgonner wrote: »
    If all the boys wanted to be Ferris, then I'm going to add Dirty Dancing, 'cause all the girls wanted to be Baby.

We all wish we could have been the one to carry a watermelon. (Not a euphemism)

Wasn't Baby Ferris' sister?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Yeah, I mean saying "clunge" 40 times is the height of craic.

What were the other gas bits, there was the "bus w****rs"...and the "friend" bits. Thought admittedly they were in the series, I turned the film off early on because I felt it didn't even have the craic of the series...

It wasn't as good as the series but it's still funny. In general Irish 20-somethings can relate a lot more to this than American 70s, 80s coming of age movies. The slagging is pretty much the same.

Seems to me that very few people know what "coming of age" actually means.

Generally it means (to me at least) the process of going through trials and tribulations and emerging from them over time into a different (sometimes enlightened, sometimes cynical or damaged) person.

I don't see any of this process in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. How do you come of age in 8 hours? The only personality sea change was Cameron's decision to confront his overbearing father.

OK so the Breakfast Club did have a fair bit of "coming of age" in a detention period but again it was really just about five strangers having their pre-conceived veils lifted through the interactions with the others.

I think Billy Elliot would be a good example. Little lad goes through the mill to do what he loves and emerges as a man and the central figure in Swan Lake.

Another good example would be To Sir With Love. Bunch of rough and ready East End teenagers start off their final high school year with Sydney Poitier as their new teacher. Slowly he grinds the brattiness out of them and they emerge at the end of term as polite, respectful, confident and much more mature young men and women.

Those would be my ones that spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I love Stand By Me and Now and Then. I'd watch them all of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

"It" and "The Butterfly Effect"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

HensVassal wrote: »

Generally it means (to me at least) the process of going through trials and tribulations and emerging from them over time into a different (sometimes enlightened, sometimes cynical or damaged) person.

I don't see any of this process in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. How do you come of age in 8 hours? The only personality sea change was Cameron's decision to confront his overbearing father.

OK so the Breakfast Club did have a fair bit of "coming of age" in a detention period but again it was really just about five strangers having their pre-conceived veils lifted through the interactions with the others.

I think Billy Elliot would be a good example. Little lad goes through the mill to do what he loves and emerges as a man and the central figure in Swan Lake.

Another good example would be To Sir With Love. Bunch of rough and ready East End teenagers start off their final high school year with Sydney Poitier as their new teacher. Slowly he grinds the brattiness out of them and they emerge at the end of term as polite, respectful, confident and much more mature young men and women.

If that is the definition then Platoon or Born on the Fourth of July with the Sheen and Cruise character respectively has to be up there as well

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

From recent times, I think Sing Street qualifies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Fast Times at Ridgemont High
    The Breakfast Club
    Almost Famous
    Boyz in the Hood

Interesting nobody mentioned American Pie, as a franchise it's probably the most famous of the teen movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

The fly: he started off as a man and ended up as a fly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

Recently ... Earth To Echo - loved it when I went to see it with my daughter.

Great soundtrack too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Weird Science. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Another Dirty Dancing vote. Pretty much know it word for word. I woke my little sister up at midnight as she turned from 12 to 13 and we watched it together to celebrate her being a big girl. We went to see the stage show together in London too. It is the ultimate movie of all time.

The Breakfast Club is a close 2nd. Just hits you every time how no matter who we are or what we have in our lives. We all still have struggles and problems.

If that is the definition then Platoon or Born on the Fourth of July with the Sheen and Cruise character respectively has to be up there as well

Seriously, are we talking about movies that depict coming of age or just movies about teenagers? Perhaps my definition of coming of age was s bit lacking but it essentially means the transition from childhood to adulthood and all the experiences and attitudinal changes, adjustments and character refinements that entails.

There was no fcuking coming of age in The Shawshank Redemption. Everyone was an adult.

The movie An Education is a perfect example of a girl coming of age. Maybe even This Is England...goofy little boy gets befriended by skinheads and becomes a junior but after a few negative experience is a far more cynical but stronger person at the end, even if he is still pre-pubescent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

The movie An Education is a perfect example of a girl coming of age. Maybe even This Is England...goofy little boy gets befriended by skinheads and becomes a junior but after a few negative experience is a far more cynical but stronger person at the end, even if he is still pre-pubescent.

Quadraphenia?

There was no fcuking coming of age in The Shawshank Redemption. Everyone was an adult.

Lucky I did not mention that film then isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Deliverance

:pac:

Loving this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

The wall: Bob geldof goes from a man with nipples to a man with no nipples

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Good Will Hunting

Juno

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭cml387

Wasn't Baby Ferris' sister?

Jennifer Gray.

She's,um,changed a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Seriously, are we talking about movies that depict coming of age or just movies about teenagers? Perhaps my definition of coming of age was s bit lacking but it essentially means the transition from childhood to adulthood and all the experiences and attitudinal changes, adjustments and character refinements that entails.

True, Hens.

It's like saying Remains of the day is relevant here. It's not.

Lucky I did not mention that film then isn't it?

Never said you did.

Never said you did.

So why quote me with that in your post?

Olishi4 wrote: »
    Quadraphenia?

Jimmy didn't come of age, he just did a load of drugs and couldn't handle when the hooliganism was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

The Wackness is a great coming of age film.

• Advertisement

I might even proffer Dead Poets Society. Some young men flourished and rose to a higher standard, others wilted, others still hid. They all were presented with oncoming maturity and the coming if age affected all differently.

Advertisement