Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favorite coming of age movies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

'my girl' is a nice sweet movie

Dazed and confused

Catholic boys

Had forgotten Catholic Boys, THE film for 14 year olds in the 80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

The Lost Boys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Not a movie, but Freaks and Geeks completely nails an awful lot of the insecurity, fun times & sheer bloody awkwardness of those early adolescent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Almost Famous

Brilliant film, can't fault it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

A recent one I loved was The Way, Way Back and on a similar theme, The Kings of Summer. I also have a real soft spot for Riding In Cars With Boys.

If it counts, I would highly recommend City of God too. Amazing movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Definitely Stand By Me. One of my favourite movies ever.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Y Tu Mama Tambien (And Your Mother Too)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Stand by me.
    (Mud, recently was in a sorta similar vein, good show)

Feel obliged to mention that I never like ferris bueller. Saw it recently and reaffirmed that opinion, was watching with my nieces, it's one movie which has dated extremely badly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭buried

Season 4 of 'The Wire'

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Some great choices posted already. Another vote here for The Kings of Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

Adventureland - not exactly a classic, but, a fun watch all the same.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Mean Girls, Probably one of the biggest movies of my generation, something of a cult when I was in my late teens.
    Also enjoyed Sex Drive ( the movie that is)
    Shawshank redemption, again powerful movie and one we watched in School.
    Not a movie but to me the TV series Skins will always have that comming of age feel to it!
    I'm sure there are more that I can't think of right now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Caddyshack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

The warriors

• Registered Users Posts: 7,080 ✭✭✭mada999

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I appreciate a good coming of age movie. John Hughes was famous for making coming of age movies in the 80's, Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Ferris Buller's Day Off, If you haven't seen them you've missed out. Saying that I thought it would be nice to make a thread on this particular subject. So what are your favorite coming of age movies?

My favorite movies are Breakfast Club, Stand By Me, and The Sandlot.

Breakfast Club - This movie in all time classic. Five teenagers from different backgrounds(The Rebel, The Jock, The Popular Girl, The Nerd, and The Outsider) comes together during one particular detention, over seen by Assistant Principal Richard "Dick" Vernon, and throughout the film they learn about themselves and each other. It's a bit more than that but it's a good flick. Probably my favorite John Hughes movie.

Stand By Me - As with many Stephen King books, Stand By My was another book that became a good coming of age movie. In this movies four kids(Will Wheaton, Corey Feldman, River Pheonix, and Jerry O'Connell) embark on an adventure to find a dead body of a missing boy, and are tormented by the bully John "Ace" Merrill. Anyway it's a great film that manages to balance comedy with drama very nicely.

The Sandlot Kids - I'm not really sure how popular this movie is, I think it might be overlooked but I remember watching it a lot throughout my childhood. The movie is a coming of age baseball film set in 1962. A kid named Scott Small moves into a new town and joins this group of kids who play baseball a lot. It's really good and has some really funny moments.

do you think there are any film's nowadays apart from the American pie that have these characteristics? Does Twilight count .. grim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Kes
    This is just an amazing film, Ken Loach managing to get everything right at the one time with a sufficiently distinct plot and strong enough cast to stand out from the rest of his work.

Diner

The Spectacular Now

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Ice Storm

The 400 Blows

The Squid and the Whale

The Spirit of the Beehive
    Probably my favourite on the list here

My Summer of Love

Dazed and Confused

Adventureland

Big

Nobody Knows
    I Wish

No one directs kids as good as Koreeda

Persepolis

Eh, I meant to write something underneath each one, but that's way too many

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Thumbsucker is another excellent coming of age movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

Almost Famous

Brilliant film, can't fault it.

I came in here to post that. Awesome soundtrack too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Totofan99 wrote: »
    I came in here to post that. Awesome soundtrack too.

Very narrowly avoided having one of the most cringeworthy scenes in a film ever

Left one off my list there, but Freaks & Geeks, while not being a film, got some of this stuff down far far better than any film I can think of.

• Advertisement

Locker10a wrote: »
    Shawshank redemption, again powerful movie and one we watched in School.

Erm...

Where is the coming of age angle in SR? Was it when he went through that tunnel aged 73 and a half? Was it a metaphor for puberty?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,208 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The ending of Toy Story 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Risky Business.
    The Breakfast Club.
    Stand by me.
    Ferris Bueller's day off.
    Say anything.

Have them all. Great films.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Cinema Paradiso.

It's an incredibly beautiful film.

Watched it again recently.
    Love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Of what?

All i saw it representing was how to make an awful, unfunny movie/tv show.

I bet you're some craic

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    I bet you're some craic

Yeah, I mean saying "clunge" 40 times is the height of craic.

What were the other gas bits, there was the "bus w****rs"...and the "friend" bits. Thought admittedly they were in the series, I turned the film off early on because I felt it didn't even have the craic of the series...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Grass on the wicket - the Adam Johnson story

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

there aren't that many really. I have an 11 year old son and so far Ferris, Sandlot and Stand by me, Big sort of counts. All the rest are pure teenager movies.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Not meant to be a di Caprio love in here but This Boy's Life and Basketball Diaries came straight to mind.

Shout out for Stand by me and Trainspotting as mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Almost Famous

Adventureland

Advertisement