Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFC Contactless payments with Android!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

syklops wrote: »
    What security risk do they present?

A more pertinent question is what security risk does a rooted phone present to this particular app? If I can read or tamper with any of the apps data when my phone is rooted, then the app has serious problems.

Looks like I have a project for the afternoon....

Let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

I decided to test this out today and it worked great in Aldi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

pah wrote: »
    I have this working on my galaxy note 4 rooted using the rootcloak module in xposed framework.

I got past the root blocking with this module but then on the next screen it says my device isn't compatible on a OnePlus One

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

I got past the root blocking with this module but then on the next screen it says my device isn't compatible on a OnePlus One

RTFM. That phone's not on their whitelist: http://www.boonpayment.com/whitelist.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Lenny wrote:
    ah, so you just use your debt card to topup? do you have to go a luas leap to tag on to activate it, used to be the way if you got a refund from them?

Correct. I don't think you have to go to a leap machine now for refunds as it updates your balance on the card.

I only signed up to auto top up because of the hassle before having to go to those, I use the leap app anyway to do small top ups instead of the normal 40 euro automatic one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭honda boi

Got it on the ultra 6.
    Looks like it's working on this grand

honda boi wrote: »
    Got it on the ultra 6.
    Looks like it's working on this grand

Do people not know what a whitelist is? http://www.boonpayment.com/whitelist.html

OnePlus One IS NOT on the whitelist => doesn't work
    Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 IS on the whitelist => does work

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Lenny wrote: »
    ah, so you just use your debt card to topup? do you have to go a luas leap to tag on to activate it, used to be the way if you got a refund from them?

No activation or collection of leap top-up required. Your phone writes directly to the card's purse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

I've the smart ultra 6, and it shows the balance of €5 , can I assume this works? Or is the only way to find out by actually trying it at the till!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Do people not know what a whitelist is? http://www.boonpayment.com/whitelist.html

OnePlus One IS NOT on the whitelist => doesn't work
    Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 IS on the whitelist => does work

:confused:

But it is not working for 2 out of the 3 Smart Ultra 6 users on this thread.

• Advertisement

RainyDay wrote: »
    But it is not working for 2 out of the 3 Smart Ultra 6 users on this thread.

Ah, so it is - didn't spot the Page 1 guys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

bromley52 wrote: »
    You could try the app hide my root

Tried that, doesn't work, just says it failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Got it setup on my S6, will try this later in the week, would be great.

I've completely stopped carrying around my wallet, and if cash is required, id use the Ulster Bank App to withdraw funds, this would eliminate the need for a bank card 99% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Dard23

But it looks like credit card and bank transfer are only things supported? Not visa debit cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭P0lygon Wind0w

Worked OK in Dunnes. Entered the pin, failed on the first pass. Entered PIN again - worked no problem.
    It's definitely not handier than a regular contactless card (yet) cause of the PIN and failed attempts - but I thought I might load it once a week to budget myself on lunches. Anyway, a FREE LUNCH today - cheers OP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Dard23 wrote: »
    But it looks like credit card and bank transfer are only things supported? Not visa debit cards?

I used Ulster Visa Debit and it took it no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Bit strange they support the Galaxy S6 and not the S7. Disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

peteb2 wrote: »

Not really, they've had a year to test out their app on an S6 whereas the S7 is still relatively new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

This seemed to install and let me register fine on my rooted s6 edge. I can initiate a payment and it comes up with the pin request and 60 second timer. At what point should it fail for having root?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Chet T16 wrote: »
    This seemed to install and let me register fine on my rooted s6 edge. I can initiate a payment and it comes up with the pin request and 60 second timer. At what point should it fail for having root?

I'm rooted and running CM, it shows an error as soon as I open it for me

• Advertisement

Chet T16 wrote:

Are you using systemless root?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

It seems it has accepted my Smart Ultra 6, but where's my fiver? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

It seems it has accepted my Smart Ultra 6, but where's my fiver? :)

Its loaded up in the app once you register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Used it for the 1st time today with my s6 edge plus.

Used in super value had the girl at the till wondering what I was at to i told and she was quite intrasted then the 2 people behide me where also asking me about it ha ha.

Think I got 3 new people to download the app:P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Its loaded up in the app once you register.

Yeah, that's the bit I'm missing. There was some notification about a bonus but I accidentally dismissed before reading, and my balance is at zero.

I think my free credit was wiped when I added a card. Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭inel

So it looks like Wirecard is behind this (Number26 cooperates with Wirecard too)

Based on their current price list, after the first 12 months there is also a monthly fee.
    http://www.boonpayment.com/fees-web.php

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭vjmcdonnell

How stable is this company.

Say I transfer money to this and they close down in the morning??

Ok so I used this today to buy my lunch in centra! Worked right away when I switched on NFC. Woman behind the till was fairly surprised, she'd never heard of it.
    I have a rooted galaxy s6 running a light custom rom, I believe the systemless root is intended to allow these apps to run without detecting root privileges so if you want to use these services look into getting that.
    Anyway I love it and it will be very handy to have in a fix! I also went online and used the bank transfer to top up my account. The country is Germany so the BIC code gets accepted. Only transferred ten euro for now to make sure it gets there alright and then I will top up by a larger amount. The 1% instant card fee isn't a lot but the bank transfer saves something if you're not in a rush to top up, which I'm not.
    Anyway thanks OP, I love being an early adopter for things that I don't have to throw money away on! In the next few years this will be the way to go, I'd imagine atms where you swipe your phone and type a pin wont be far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

peteb2 wrote: »

Same here, i wonder if we edit the build prop with an s6 device name will it open up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Amazon Fire Phone rooted.. 2 big no nos for this app lol

Advertisement