Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFC Contactless payments with Android!

Options
  • 12-04-2016 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

It's finally here!
    Contactless payments with boon, download the app, register and you get €5 euro free!

It is prepaid and you can topup with your debit card (works with every bank with 3D Secure).

It is not as convenient as Android Pay, because you have to open the app and enter your PIN, but it's better than having no way to pay when leaving your wallet at home.

Still hoping for Android Pay to come to Ireland, but it is probably a long way to go.

Edit: Also because you enter your PIN in the app, it is not subject to the 20€/25€ contactless limit.

Boon Payment

Device List

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Doesn't work for a Smart Ultra 6 which is a bit ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Already posted here a while back.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057578571/1

Yeah its a shame it only works on a limited amount of approved phones. Doesn't work on rooted phones also but I guess I understand that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

No support for rooted or custom ROMs or Cyanogen with these is going to rule me out on any of these. I can't live without root and Xposed goodness

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Already posted here a while back.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057578571/1

Yeah its a shame it only works on a limited amount of approved phones. Doesn't work on rooted phones also but I guess I understand that.

Ahhh!! Sorry i done a quick search and didn't notice, any mods feel free to remove the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

No support for HTC One M7.

Also, the no support for rooted phones is a bit worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

ASOT wrote: »
    Doesn't work for a Smart Ultra 6 which is a bit ****e.

Is that not it under ZTE on the device list?

wilser wrote: »
    Is that not it under ZTE on the device list?

Might be under the device list but I installed it and it didn't work that's why I posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Might be under the device list but I installed it and it didn't work that's why I posted.

Me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Ah ok, am thinking of picking up a smart ultra and seen it on the list. At least I know it wont work before i shell out

RainyDay wrote: »
    Me too.

Is your device rooted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

syklops wrote: »
    Also, the no support for rooted phones is a bit worrying.

In what way? Rooted phones present a security risk, so it's entirely understandable they aren't supported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Is your device rooted?

No, definitely not - I'm a compliant wimp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Xcellor wrote: »
    Yes it is.
    Select ZTE and it lists:

Vodafone VF-995N Smart ultra 6

I think this is the phone you are on about.

It might say it works but it doesn't.

20f0d673c83fa11883424f8537ffdb21.png

It might say it works but it doesn't.

20f0d673c83fa11883424f8537ffdb21.png

Got NFC enabled?

Got NFC enabled?

Yep I used it for my leap card daily.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

I'm nearly tempted to unroot, for a fiver it seems worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

No S7 support? Crazy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Yep I used it for my leap card daily.
    is it possible to use NFC instead of the leapcard now to travel?

and alos the €30 limit that is in shops, how can it bypass that? I thought taht is the limit set by the shops terminal?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Lenny wrote:
    is it possible to use NFC instead of the leapcard now to travel?

no but you can top up your card using the leap app. Very handy.

This app doesn't support the HTC one m8 despite listing multiple entries as supported

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

no but you can top up your card using the leap app. Very handy.

This app doesn't support the HTC one m8 despite listing multiple entries as supported

ah, so you just use your debt card to topup? do you have to go a luas leap to tag on to activate it, used to be the way if you got a refund from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Is this usable in Ireland much?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Redsoxfan wrote:
    Is this usable in Ireland much?

Probably not considering a lot of places that have contactless still don't use it.

Add to that the fact that you will probably have to explain the concept of using your phone to the person behind the till it'll only slow things down

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Probably not considering a lot of places that have contactless still don't use it.

I haven't seen any examples of this. In most places I go, they push the credit card greenish in your direction and you either insert your card or wave a contactless card at it.
    Add to that the fact that you will probably have to explain the concept of using your phone to the person behind the till it'll only slow things down

I can imagine it'll prompt a few questions alright but generally if you want your phone nearby, the transaction will have completed before they react.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

When Apple Pay came out in the US the podcasts I subscribe to told of some very confused Starbucks staff members. I can imagine going into Dunnes etc and receiving a very strange look from the cashier.

I've got hooked on using Visa Contactless while abroad, everywhere except the pubs take it. But I dont see myself not running root for a long wile so theres little hope of ditching the wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Arbie

Edit: Also because you enter your PIN in the app, it is not subject to the 20€/25€ contactless limit.

The limitation is that the card machine at the till won't offer to let you pay for anything above €30 with contactless so that limit still applies.

I used it in Dunnes on a self-service machine and in a bar recently. It takes longer than Android Pay, I had to enter my PIN twice each time, and the interface feels clunkier but it worked in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭bromley52

Niemoj wrote: »
    I'm nearly tempted to unroot, for a fiver it seems worth the effort.

You could try the app hide my root

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭pah

I have this working on my galaxy note 4 rooted using the rootcloak module in xposed framework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

In what way? Rooted phones present a security risk, so it's entirely understandable they aren't supported.

What security risk do they present?

A more pertinent question is what security risk does a rooted phone present to this particular app? If I can read or tamper with any of the apps data when my phone is rooted, then the app has serious problems.

Looks like I have a project for the afternoon....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭Guffy

Whar am i lookin for at the pos so i know if it uses it. I tried it in a garage last night but no joy

Advertisement