Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joao Carvalho RIP

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Goose81 wrote: »
    Alright Einstein id say it was a bad weight cut that damaged his brain alright. RIP Joao

Your as bad as the fools on sherdog claiming it wasn't an mma death because it didn't happen in the ring. You should be ashamed of yourself, or if your actually thick enough to believe what you said I pity you

Don't post in this thread again. No need for crap like that in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Such a tragic death. RIP to Joao Carvalho :(.

The fall out from this will be the un-educated people trying to get MMA banned in Ireland.
    Just look at this article in the Indo.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/mma/sinead-ryan-this-socalled-sport-is-little-more-than-brutal-and-glorified-assault-34623086.html

My god how people can get jobs reporting on nothing they know about :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Such a tragic death. RIP to Joao Carvalho :(.

The fall out from this will be the un-educated people trying to get MMA banned in Ireland.
    Just look at this article in the Indo.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/mma/sinead-ryan-this-socalled-sport-is-little-more-than-brutal-and-glorified-assault-34623086.html

My god how people can get jobs reporting on nothing they know about :mad:

The article is prefaced with an immediate cop out for sports with a statistically more fatal past. Bypassing the facts to make a pointless point.

This won't be the last of this, but Sinead and her ilk will be writing about something else next week as if nothing had happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Very very dangerous comments by Mcgregor I found criticising the referee for not stopping it at this juncture. Whatever about a layman spouting about this, for the most prestigious fighter in the world to lay it all on the ref until some sort of inquest is done is highly unprofessional.
    I anticipate the ref is having a nightmare as it is at the moment.
    Mcgregor should have offered his condolences but not give such a damning verdict so soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Does anyone know what the arrangements will be for this man's funeral? Will he be returned to his home country I wonder?

• Advertisement

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the arrangements will be for this man's funeral? Will he be returned to his home country I wonder?

Of course he will.

The IAPA set up a go fund me page for donations to help cover part of costs of the funeral.

What a tragic loss!
    I feel sorry for his family and the sport isn't as glamorous as it has been in recent times!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Very very dangerous comments by Mcgregor I found criticising the referee for not stopping it at this juncture. Whatever about a layman spouting about this, for the most prestigious fighter in the world to lay it all on the ref until some sort of inquest is done is highly unprofessional.
    I anticipate the ref is having a nightmare as it is at the moment.
    Mcgregor should have offered his condolences but not give such a damning verdict so soon.
    I thought McGregor was talking directly post-fight before anyone knew how serious the consequences might be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

I thought McGregor was talking directly post-fight before anyone knew how serious the consequences might be?

He was but when people are sad enough to use this tragic loss as an excuse to critise someone facts like you've pointed out are lost.

I tihnk it would be a good idea for the mods to amend the thread title, maybe to say condolences thread, it might help cut down on the influx of fauxragers intent on having a go and mean less posts need deleted,etc

Devastator wrote: »
    He was but when people are sad enough to use this tragic loss as an excuse to critise someone facts like you've pointed out are lost.

I tihnk it would be a good idea for the mods to amend the thread title, maybe to say condolences thread, it might help cut down on the influx of fauxragers intent on having a go and mean less posts need deleted,etc

No need to be so aggressive and tetchy. What I read was an article with CM offering his condolences. It then went on to say in said article "mcgregor himself said that he thought the ref should have perhaps stopped it early" .

Someone afterwards has informed me that CM made his comments directly after the contest which makes more sense as I was extremely surprised CM would have made the comment after the actual death.

I was merely making a comment upon what I interpreted from a now, I understand, misleading article.

I wasn't criticising the sport. However I do find the level of defence when people make any sort of criticism on these threads often OTT and insulting.
    I never criticised the sport, in fact I was defending it but I'm open minded to other people's opinions.

Also this was the only Carvalho thread I saw so I initially assumed it was a thread where an opinion like this could be proffered. Seemingly not and I'll accept that.

But let the mods explain this perhaps.

• Advertisement

Yeah apparently so which makes more sense. Article I read was misleading on this.
    Feel very sorry for the ref involved as well as Ward.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

To reiterate what was already posted a few hours ago..

To those who are new this is a RIP thread - show some respect or stay out of the thread. If you don't like the sport stay out of the forum. Any questions PM a mod - do not respond in-thread

Everyone else, please do not rise to the bait and again please keep this thread respectful to someone who has died in terrible circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

RIP. The commentary of the sport is sicking, just had to turn of Moncrieff. Two people, who both admit they know nothing about the sport, just judging people who follow MMA. It reached its low point when they call all sports, including chess, a violent ritual.

RIP. Poor lad. Just desperately sad for Joao's family, team and the entire MMA community.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,846 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

RIP Joao Carvalho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

His brother is on Prime Time now. Sad listening to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,197 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Very difficult to watch interview with his brother on Prime Time right now. Miriam asked him whether he blamed MMA and said it should be banned and he answered 'no, that it was his brother's life and all sports are dangerous'. He did say he wanted some answers all the same about what happened. Miriam clearly pressing for him to condemn it, not convinced of the journalistic integrity of the interview being perfectly honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Very difficult to watch interview with his brother on Prime Time right now. Miriam asked him whether he blamed MMA and said it should be banned and he answered 'no, that it was his brother's life and all sports are dangerous'. He did say he wanted some answers all the same about what happened. Miriam clearly pressing for him to condemn it, not convinced of the journalistic integrity of the interview being perfectly honest.

RTE have been like a dog with a bone on the issue since the announcement and I'd say they are gutted that Joao's brother didn't play along to their tune.

I hope RTE made a donation to the fund to repatriate Joao's body back to Portugal and didn't just use his families suffering for a cheap news piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RJPala

We had Joao's brother Alex on our podcast just moments after this was recorded with Prime Time. One of his guys reached out to us to come on, and of course we said yes. We wanted to give him a platform more-so to speak about his brother. The links are below for anyone who wants to hear the interview. It's a tough listen, but worth your time. His brother is incredibly strong to do these interviews.

As I'm a new poster, I can't post links, but if you search for "Obviously Fight Talk" on Google, or search it on iTunes, Mixcloud, Stitcher, Mixcloud etc, you will find it there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I hope RTE made a donation to the fund to repatriate Joao's body back to Portugal and didn't just use his families suffering for a cheap news piece.

I hope that the commercial businesses behind the money-making event at which he died cover repatriation costs and not leave his family sticking their hand out to fans or others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

RJPala wrote: »
    We had Joao's brother Alex on our podcast just moments after this was recorded with Prime Time. One of his guys reached out to us to come on, and of course we said yes. We wanted to give him a platform more-so to speak about his brother. The links are below for anyone who wants to hear the interview. It's a tough listen, but worth your time. His brother is incredibly strong to do these interviews.

As I'm a new poster, I can't post links, but if you search for "Obviously Fight Talk" on Google, or search it on iTunes, Mixcloud, Stitcher, Mixcloud etc, you will find it there.

Link: https://m.mixcloud.com/Radiomade/obviously-fight-talk-interview-with-joao-carvalhos-brother/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

RainyDay wrote: »
    I hope that the commercial businesses behind the money-making event at which he died cover repatriation costs and not leave his family sticking their hand out to fans or others.

Undertaker Justin Fitzgerald, of Fitzgerald Funeral Directors in Rush is covering the cost.

Justin also trains MMA with Coach Paul Cowzer, Rush Fight Academy.

The Gofundme appeal is still active if you're feeling generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Undertaker Justin Fitzgerald, of Fitzgerald Funeral Directors in Rush is covering the cost.

Justin also trains MMA with Coach Paul Cowzer, Rush Fight Academy.

The Gofundme appeal is still active if you're feeling generous.

That makes me happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ElRE

RIP

Advertisement