Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joao Carvalho RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

RIP to the guys and his family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Sorry folks, but Ive read a few posts talking about Joe Duffy & his followers. Is this the fighter yous are talking about?

A crowdfunding account has been setup for Joao's family, here is the link if anyone would like to donate

https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/JoaoCarvalho?utm_campaign=jgdonation%3Asupport&utm_content=JoaoCarvalho&utm_medium=Yimbyproject&utm_source=Facebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

Another one has also been set up by the IAPA.

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/719937756718329856

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

Conor posted the following tribute on his FB page:
    Terrible news regarding Joao Carvalho.

To see a young man doing what he loves, competing for a chance at a better life, and then to have it taken away is truly heartbreaking.

We are just men and women doing something we love in the hope of a better life for ourselves and our families. Nobody involved in combat sports of any kind wants to see this. It is such a rare occurrence that I don't know how to take this.

I was ringside supporting my teammate, and the fight was so back and forth, that I just can't understand it.

My condolences go out to Joao's family and his team. Their man was a hell of a fighter and will be sorely missed by all.

Combat sport is a crazy game and with the recent incident in boxing and now this in MMA, it is a sad time to be a fighter and a fight fan.

It is easy for those on the outside to criticise our way of living, but for the millions of people around the world who have had their lives, their health, their fitness and their mental strength all changed for the better through combat, this is truly a bitter pill to swallow. We have lost one of us.

I hope we remember Joao as a champion, who pursued his dream doing what he loved, and show him the eternal respect and admiration he deserves.

Rest in peace, Joao.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Micheal Ring Minister for Sport on Off the Ball now on MMA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Devastating news. RIP Joao.

I hope that one day his family and friends may take a small bit of comfort from the fact he passed away doing something that he loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Frankly my dear

RIP Joao Carvalho, our thought and prayers are with you and your family at this terrible time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Maybe a crowd funding, or similar system, could be set up to help his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

JJayoo wrote: »
    Maybe a crowd funding, or similar system, could be set up to help his family.

There two going at the moment, doing very well also.

https://www.gofundme.com/mhyqmbpg

Could a mod update the first post and pop the link in please?>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,171 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This is in the process of causing the mother of all sh!tstorms. People who didn't know much about MMA are going to be hearing all about the most negative aspects of it over the next few days. I personally don't care for the sport much, or any combat sports but at the same time I wouldn't like to see it die. The benefits that training in a martial art can bring to a person are substantial but this going to do damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

MadYaker wrote: »
    This is in the process of causing the mother of all sh!tstorms. People who didn't know much about MMA are going to be hearing all about the most negative aspects of it over the next few days. I personally don't care for the sport much, or any combat sports but at the same time I wouldn't like to see it die. The benefits that training in a martial art can bring to a person are substantial but this going to do damage.

I disagree. I think many of the commentators who feign interest today at the death of a young man will have moved back to Michaela McCollum or the likes and focus their faux outrage their. It's just disappointing to see the likes of these people look to perform an autopsy of sorts on news website comment sections and social media.

There will be an article or two pointing the finger and a month from now it will only be those with a genuine interest in MMA who will actually look to address the issues raised from this tragic event.

It featured on Primetime a moment ago. Wasn't as sensationalist as it may have been.

Hopefully the focus remains on a tragic loss of a young man.
    RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Just looked at the video there, he went down and took 12-13 shots to the head. Didn't look too bad but i think it should have been stopped a little sooner. Obviously no one knew what was going to happen but 5 less shots could have saved the mans life. Sad when **** like this happens to someone doing something that they love.

RIP

12 to 13 shots to the head????!!!!!
    Jesus wept!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

That_Guy wrote: »
    I was on a little while ago. Tried to be as calm and respectful as possible. My line was obviously muted when I tried to call Duffy on his nonsense and then they cut me off.

Tried to remind him that someone has passed away and now is not the time to be savaging the sport or Charlie Ward... Obviously wasn't heard over the muting of my call.

And he had people involved with boxing demonising the sport, because you can "pin a man on the ground and dig him in the head 12 times", and falsely saying you can kick people in the head on the ground

But no mention from them or joe about Nick Blackwell being put in a coma after a boxing fight last weekend

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

bajer101 wrote: »
    Big shock as fans of a violent sport pour out sympathy when one of their entertainers dies.

Before a mod comes along and deletes this post, there is absolutely no chance that a member of the deceased's family or any of his friends will read this - so this post is not hurting anyone (except perhaps the proponents of the sport). Deleting posts in an RIP thread that question the sport is a very questionable practice and is most definitely stifling debate. There are a lot of people who have a problem with MMA and this death is one of the reasons why. This is definitely the thread where these opinions should be aired. There have been plenty of RIP threads on Boards where the cause of death was left open for discussion. If someone died of a cocaine overdose and there was an RIP thread, posts wouldn't be so quickly deleted when people went beyond RIP and questioned the cause of death.

I like contact sports. I have a silver medal in the all Ireland U-16 Kung Fu championship. I enjoy boxing. I don't like MMA. It just doesn't sit right with me. Hammer blows to the head while someone is prostate on the ground is a death waiting to happen. MMA is different and seems to appeal to the blood lust and to doing serious damage. It's not good.

If you dont like it and it doesnt sit right with you DONT WATCH IT,

Now leave the thread for people posting their condolences please.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Bajer101

In fairness, this is rightly a condolence thread rather than discussion thread. There is a thread over in After Hours with a conversation that you're probably looking for.

I don't think you'll get many people in an MMA forum discussing the illegitimacy of a sport we all take a strong interest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Gamebred wrote: »
    If you dont like it and it doesnt sit right with you DONT WATCH IT,

Now leave the thread for people posting their condolences please.

No. Because I suspect that a lot of people here just really like MMA but are not really posting genuine condolences, but are actually using comments like yours to try and cut off debate.

You could equally argue - If you don't like us owning machine guns that were used to kill kids in a mass shooting - then just ignore it. I'm sorry, I can't. This effects me too. Kids are watching this and think it is ok to hammer smash other kids when they are on the ground.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Bajer101

In fairness, this is rightly a condolence thread rather than discussion thread. There is a thread over in After Hours with a conversation that you're probably looking for.

I don't think you'll get many people in an MMA forum discussing the illegitimacy of a sport we all take a strong interest in.

Fair enough. I didn't see the thread in After Hours. This thread was the one that appeared in the "Trending" column. Regardless, I disagree with posts being deleted because they were anti MMA on the basis that it was an RIP thread. None of the threads that were pro MMA were deleted because it was an RIP thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

No. Because I suspect that a lot of people here just really like MMA but are not really posting genuine condolences, but are actually using comments like yours to try and cut off debate.

You could equally argue - If you don't like us owning machine guns that were used to kill kids in a mass shooting - then just ignore it. I'm sorry, I can't. This effects me too. Kids are watching this and think it is ok to hammer smash other kids when they are on the ground.

How many times are the mods gonna have to go in here and redirect the thread? Just coz you disagree with them stopping the debate doesn't mean it will change anything so can we get this back to a thread to pay our respects please? Plenty of other places for you to debate the merits of mma.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Fair enough. I didn't see the thread in After Hours. This thread was the one that appeared in the "Trending" column. Regardless, I disagree with posts being deleted because they were anti MMA on the basis that it was an RIP thread. None of the threads that were pro MMA were deleted because it was an RIP thread!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057584578

Leave

• Advertisement

Like I say, there's a discussion over in After Hours about it. You have to understand that nobody is censoring anything in this forum. We have debates about stuff that goes on within the sport.

But there's a difference between having a debate about goings on in MMA as opposed to slating the sport as a whole.

If anything, the MMA forum is probably the most welcoming of forums on Boards with lots of new posters wanting to know about techniques etc.

You wouldn't go into a rugby forum and start claiming that rugby isn't for you and questioning the sport as a whole because those posting over there are fans of the sport. Same applies here.

Depp wrote: »

Excuse me? Would you not prefer to discuss the issues that have arisen here?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,154 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

This is a condolence thread. Not a discussion thread. If you want to discuss something start a new thread.
    But this kind of stuff is childish. A mass murder attacking kids compared with MMA. Yes because fighters going around attack kids all the time.
    I don't see how MMA (or anything) has any impact on your life. If you don't want your kids watching it, stop them. But if you think kids learn to fight from MMA then you are living in a bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

bajer101 do not post in this thread again. You have no right to question people's motives for expressing their grief. You should be ashamed of yourself using what is clearly a condolences thead to grind your axe.

You have no clue who in our community might have met this man over the past week and we are all in shock that this has happened.

I am on my phone tonight and but will address this in the morning. Posters, do not reply or quote bajer101 anymore

THIS IS A CONDOLENCES THREAD. IT IS ONE OF THE FEW THREADS WHERE THERE IS NO DISCUSSION TO BE HAD

Just getting back on topic, I've never met Joao Carvalho. Up until today and having seen footage of him, I didn't even know who he was. Despite all of this, this news has really hit me and I have absolutely no idea why.

I don't train (anymore) and I don't compete. I sit at home of a Saturday night watching guys fight for my entertainment.

MMA and combat sports in general have risen to become my favourite sport and I love reading content, keeping up to date with the upcoming fights etc. I write the odd article as a hobby and I love the MMA community on social media/Boards when fights are on.

Given the popularity in MMA in this country it also brings with it vitriol towards the thing we all love and I've often found myself engaged in ignorant arguments as to why the sport is "barbaric" etc etc.

The community is expanding all the time which is absolutely brilliant to see. it leads to more amazing insights and good healthy debates.

It's a major shock to everybody who enjoys this sport especially because it happened on our doorstep and the togetherness and generosity that the community has displayed won't be reported on in any newspaper.

Like I say, I never met or saw anything of Joao Carvahlo before today but he was part of a community we all love to watch/engage in. It's a tough time for MMA/combat sports fans right now because trying to defend the thing we all love is extremely difficult right now.

Like I say, I don't train, I don't have any connections within the sport other than this forum and social media during fight night but if it was any of you I'd still feel the same shock and numbness I feel right now despite having never met you.

RIP Joao. And like Paully said earlier in thread, hopefully his friends/coaches/family can one day realise that he passed away doing something he loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭Goose81

empacher wrote: »
    RIP jose.

Could have being a tough weight cut that had adverse effects. Anyways thats just speculation at this stage.

Hopefully any information that arises from his death can be put towards prevention and future safety.
    Alright Einstein id say it was a bad weight cut that damaged his brain alright. RIP Joao

Your as bad as the fools on sherdog claiming it wasn't an mma death because it didn't happen in the ring. You should be ashamed of yourself, or if your actually thick enough to believe what you said I pity you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Goose81 wrote: »
    Alright Einstein id say it was a bad weight cut that damaged his brain alright. RIP Joao

Your as bad as the fools on sherdog claiming it wasn't an mma death because it didn't happen in the ring. You should be ashamed of yourself, or if your actually thick enough to believe what you said I pity you

Not totally sure what to make of this post.Its well documented that severe weight cutting can sap vital fluids around the brain making concussions a lot more likely hence a tough weight cut possibly having adverse effects like the guy just said,its a fair comment,no need for the rant.

Anyway RIP Joao.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Goose81 wrote: »

less water in the body = less cushioning on the brain = more damge from head strikes.

So quiet clearly I know what im talking about and you're a thick fool who clearly reads sherdog.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Terrible stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

RIP, Very tragic occurrence.

Advertisement