Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joao Carvalho RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Lukker- wrote: »
    I think you'll notice most people are surprised. There are have been very few deaths worldwide for such a violent sport. None that I recall at a major organisation.

How many players drop dead each year from things like SADS playing Gaa? Yet no calls for that to be banned even though far more people have died as a result of it.

I dont think GAA players go onto the field with the sole purpose of beating the crap out of their opponents.

SAD can happen anywhere, anytime. My niece dropped dead in her bedroom at 17. No cause of death found.

I don't know who are worse, those fighting and their promoters or the crowds who support and whose cheering gets louder when someone's blood is on the floor.

Its barbaric!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Petermc83

Terrible Tragedy.. may he RIP..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Surely Charlie ward couldn't ever face any sort of charges over this? I find that very hard to believe. This happened in a legal sport well within the rules of that legal sport. It's a terrible accident that's all.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I dont think GAA players go onto the field with the sole purpose of beating the crap out of their opponents.

SAD can happen anywhere, anytime. My niece dropped dead in her bedroom at 17. No cause of death found.

I don't know who are worse, those fighting and their promoters or the crowds who support and whose cheering gets louder when someone's blood is on the floor.

Its barbaric!
    Local mods may not be about so I'll step in

This is a RIP thread - show some respect or stay out of the thread. If you don't like the sport stay out of the forum. Any questions PM me - do not respond in-thread

Everyone else, please do not rise to the bait and again please keep this thread respectful to someone who has died in terrible circumstances

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭Autumn Moon

Sad news. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Very sad to hear, no one expects this to happen at a combat sports event.

I wonder were there any underlying medical circumstances at play here? I'm sure there will be an autopsy, or PM. Not that it will do anything to alleviate the grief for his family but it would be nice to get some more information on the cause of death.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

RIP

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

So sad - RIP Joao Carvalho

Something like this happens rarely in contact sport but when it does your thoughts are with all involved , the deceased fighters family , the opponent , the referee , the officials , coaches everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Heart goes out to his family and also to Charlie, I couldnt even imagine whats going through his head right now. I'd advise everyone to avoid the comments section of most articles about this as it's just uneducated people having a go at the sport.

• Advertisement

RIP and hopefully Charlie knows that he isn't at fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

the haters are on Joe Duffy
    current guy wants them to wear helmets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Just looked at the video there, he went down and took 12-13 shots to the head. Didn't look too bad but i think it should have been stopped a little sooner. Obviously no one knew what was going to happen but 5 less shots could have saved the mans life. Sad when **** like this happens to someone doing something that they love.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 23,859 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Tigger wrote: »
    the haters are on Joe Duffy
    current guy wants them to wear helmets

Would padded headguards be so bad? A combination of an amateur boxing headguard and rugby scrum cap would be suitable.

Whatever happens after today, it won't be the same sport again lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Charlie ward wont face any criminal charges here and he shouldn't have to either.

Its a VERY unfortunate mishap in sports but ,along with many sports it carries inherent risks,this is why decent shows have the medical support they have although even with the best support things will always happen.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

So sad - RIP Joao Carvalho condolences to your family

thoughts are also with charlie... its just such an awful thing to happen

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Would padded headguards be so bad? A combination of an amateur boxing headguard and rugby scrum cap would be suitable.

Why will it not be the same though? How many people have died in professional boxing and its still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Why will it not be the same though? How many people have died in professional boxing and its still going strong.

the people talking on joe duffy currently are disgusting, using something this tragic to score points, im sick to my stomach

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭IrelandDylan

Awful news.. RIP

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've deleted a number of posts, some respoiding to comments I had previoulsy dealt with, others discussing possible cause or suggesting ways the sport may react. This is a condolance thread and it's inappropriate to speculate in that way. Again, any questions please PM me and don't respond to this post in-thread

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

RIP Joao Carvalho

There are no words

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

RIP.

Hard to find the words to describe how I feel for everyone in this situation.

My condolences are with everyone involved.

This mans memory should be respected as he deserves. I've heard nothing but what a lovely guy he was back stage and this is reflected in his team mates memories about him.

Beasty has said all that needs to be said for those who want to come here to soapbox about MMA

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Depp wrote: »
    the people talking on joe duffy currently are disgusting, using something this tragic to score points, im sick to my stomach

I was on a little while ago. Tried to be as calm and respectful as possible. My line was obviously muted when I tried to call Duffy on his nonsense and then they cut me off.

Tried to remind him that someone has passed away and now is not the time to be savaging the sport or Charlie Ward... Obviously wasn't heard over the muting of my call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

RIP ,was very surprised to here this as listening to RTE news last night i thought i heard he be ok, must have heard wrong.RIP again and thoughts with his family and charlie ward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The poor lad, may he rest in peace.

Good job Beasty (Cmod).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,119 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

RIP,

Very unfortunate.
    Let's hope this prompts the right reaction from most people,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

RIP jose.

Could have being a tough weight cut that had adverse effects. Anyways thats just speculation at this stage.

Hopefully any information that arises from his death can be put towards prevention and future safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Very sad news. Thoughts are with his family and Charlie Ward right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,898 ✭✭✭cletus

Larbre34 wrote: »

Head gear does nothing to protect against brain trauma. It has been removed at senior level amateur boxing.

In some instances it has been shown to increase rotational forces causing greater damage

RIP Joao

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭xtal191

Terrible news, RIP. Thoughts are with everyone affected by it.

Advertisement