Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today i nearly died...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

I grew up on a farm. Well not on an actual farm, but my dad had a farm we were on a lot. I've had many close calls. Mainly because I never learn my lesson.
    When I was two I stuck my hand into a tractors fan belt, top of my finger was chopped off (but they sewed it back on), I probably wouldn't have been killed but the Drs were surprised I hadn't lost my hand.

We were putting bales into the shed and we had this escalator thing for getting the bales to the top of the shed. I was about to climb down it when my brother went to start it just as I was getting down. The chain thing caught my jumper and pulled my arm towards it. Luckily my dad was close by and managed to hit the lever and turn it off.

Climbed a massive tree that was growing apples, I was up near the top of it and my brother who was scared of heights kept throwing apples that had fallen, at me to try knock me out of it.

My dad had put me standing in a gap on my neighbours farm when they were trying to get a cow in, I was scared and moved the first time and she got away. They got her back and put me back in the gap with the strict instructions not to move but to shoo her away, and not let her pass me. The poor cow was terrified and kept running straight for the gap (and me) and I was standing there, more afraid of my dad than the cow, and she ran straight at me, missing me by cms. The neighbour and my dad got such a fright, they were sure I was going to be trampled.

Fell off round bales when I was climbing them in the shed, and got stuck down between them. Luckily my brother was out with me playing and when I fell he went to get my dad, who got me out. Had I went down upside down I'd have broken my neck or suffocated.

When I got older,
    Sitting on the back of a bale lifter while my brother was joy riding the tractor around the field. He hit a dip in the ground and the pin ended up coming out of the lifter, trapping me under it, and getting pulled along a little bit. I was 23 so old enough to know better. I ended up needing an op, and have 2 plates, a pin and a rake of screws in my ankle, and had a dislocated bone as well as 4 broken ones.

Myself and my brother were in a car accident where he turned the car upside down. I got a fright, and apart from being cut by glass when he was pulling me out of it, I wasn't badly hurt.

Sounds to me like you deserve to give your brother a slap in the stones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Thinly veiled 'I barely lift, brah' postn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭granturismo

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    ....So, AH, you had any close calls?

So, this one time at band camp...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Well now you know your next goal :D

Nearly been squished by Dublin Busses so many times over the years. It's the only thing that has stopped me from getting clip in cycling shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Get yourself some steak this evening though OP, a nice protein hit will keep the angry screams of muscles being roused from their slumber somewhat at bay :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I've been lucky so far, I have no real near death experiences to recount.

I have seen people hit by cars a few times. No deaths, but not for the want of trying. Each time has been at at a pedestrian crossing, with some lunatic deciding that they can make it to the other side of the road before the convoy of oncoming traffic get to their location. You wonder what sense some people have sometimes, "Okay I can make it across, even if the cars are not that far away and coming at speed".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I was in a house fire about ten yrs ago. Somehow the neighbours oil tank on the other side of the fence was set alight, exploded and set fire to the house next door and the one I was staying in. We woke to the sound of breaking glass as the kitchen window shattered, and the entire kitchen went up in flames. I'll never forget how disorientating it was to wake to something like that, for a second or two having no clue as to what was going on, and then the panic to get out. The firemen said if we hadn't woke, within ten minutes we could have been dead from the oil fumes.

When I was about 6, I was bouncing around with one of those hard sherbet lemon sweets in my mouth. It got lodged in my throat, and I couldn't say a word. I can still remember what it felt like not to be able to breathe, all I could do was walk into my parents , pointing at my throat , at this stage I was turning blue. My Dad grabbed me, turned me over, and whacked me into the back. The sweet shot out across the kitchen and landed on top of the cooker. I was slagged for years because all I did was roar crying because my Dad had slapped me:).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

73Cat wrote: »
    I was in a house fire about ten yrs ago. Somehow the neighbours oil tank on the other side of the fence was set alight, exploded and set fire to the house next door and the one I was staying in. We woke to the sound of breaking glass as the kitchen window shattered, and the entire kitchen went up in flames. I'll never forget how disorientating it was to wake to something like that, for a second or two having no clue as to what was going on, and then the panic to get out. The firemen said if we hadn't woke, within ten minutes we could have been dead from the oil fumes.

When I was about 6, I was bouncing around with one of those hard sherbet lemon sweets in my mouth. It got lodged in my throat, and I couldn't say a word. I can still remember what it felt like not to be able to breathe, all I could do was walk into my parents , pointing at my throat , at this stage I was turning blue. My Dad grabbed me, turned me over, and whacked me into the back. The sweet shot out across the kitchen and landed on top of the cooker. I was slagged for years because all I did was roar crying because my Dad had slapped me:).

You just reminded me - I almost choked to death on a creme egg as a child.
    I must have been about 7 or so, bit the top bit off but some how inhaled it?
    It blocked my airway totally, only my brothers were home and I remember how they tried hitting me on the shoulder blades and the heimlich, none were working. I was looking out the bed room window and started to see blackness fade in, I clearly remember thinking "Is my neighbours house the last thing I will ever see?" :confused:
    I think I passed out because I remember waking up vomitting, they finally got one of the helimchs to work and it was dislodged.
    Was a shivering, shaking crying mess for a few hours - was shouted at to stop crying because my parents were due home at anytime.

They still have no idea I almost choked to death :D
    Also never had a creme egg since.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The irony, kersplat goes out with a kersplat.
    Pumpin' that irony!

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Do you even...oh.

I don't get it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Do you even lift brah

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Two close calls both involving bricks. (Both in the same week!)

1- At school a ball was stuck in a tree and we were throwing things at it, I threw a brick, it hit a low hanging branch that effectively sprung it back at me and some how I caught it over my head.

2- Second time was also at school getting a ball, this time stuck on top of a shed, I climbed up a plank of wood lying against the wall, got the ball threw it down when the plank slipped. I grabbed the wall/roof and ended up pulling down a large brick that fell from about 7/8 feet onto my back, bruised a rib, shoulder blade and damaged some tendons.

Should probably avoid getting the ball..

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Brois

So, today I nearly died.

I met a personal trainer last week to get me started with free weights. Everything went fine, she created a programme for me and off I went. Today was my first morning for the programme. Got to the gym at 6.45 raring to go.

Got myself warmed up with 10 minutes on a cross trainer and a few stretches.

First up, chest press. Loaded up the weights on both sides, slid under the bar, rolled the bar off the rack and BAM! the bar was stuck to my chest. Little did I realise that the weight of 35kg (don't slag, I'm only starting!!) Was to be spread across both sides, not on both sides... It took everything I had to lift the f**king thing off me!! I really thought I was fecked!

Managed to lift it and took a few minutes to access what had just happened. I had nearly died. Decided to just do 2 x sets after that instead of the 3 x that I was supposed to do :rolleyes:

On a positive note, I was informed after that I now have a PB of 70kg excluding the bar \o/

So, AH, you had any close calls?

Novel approach to finding your 1RM :\

I think you need a new trainer tbh!
    Did she observe and spot you lift the prescribed weights when she wrote up this program? Or was it more to do with the sleepiness the morning you did it and just overloaded the bar more than what she had you doing with her the previous week?

If she gave you a program without even checking/watching you lift it she doesn't deserve your money. It's just altogether unsafe! She should be ensuring you understand what you're doing first and foremost before even writing you a program and making sure you know how to bail out of a missed lift! (You shouldn't be at the stage of bailing if a beginner either) Otherwise you're paying someone to lift a template from bb.com or something and slap your name on top of it!

Glad you lifted the weight off though! You could still be under it and never have shared on boards!

Stay safe and good luck with the program! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

35kg?

I also started this evening - although I had 24 regular and 12 diamond push ups done before I started weights I never went above 10 kg - What the feck were ye doing - after 10 exercises arms and chest 3 sets of 12 each I have never felt pain like this before.

I started typing this at 12:30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

70kg?? Pffff.... I had 500kg of horse land on me a few months ago, that's a near death experience! :pac:

On a serious note though, that op is exactly why I think this gym thing is going to be the end of the human race, the amount of people I've heard of recently with fairly serious self inflicted gym injuries is ridiculous!

If you can't get out of bed without falling over your own feet don't add heavy weights and complicated machinery to the mix!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Trainer: Put 35kg on them there bar.
    KERSPLAT: Na prah brah.
    *Nearly dies*

Trainer: 35 on both sides is 70kg.
    KERSPLAT: Brah?

Trainer: But congrats you've lifted 70...
    KERSPLAT: Braaah!

Trainer: There there. That's a good "brah".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

Fitness forum that way ->

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

<- Lack of fitness forum that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Brois wrote: »
    Novel approach to finding your 1RM :\

I think you need a new trainer tbh!
    Did she observe and spot you lift the prescribed weights when she wrote up this program? Or was it more to do with the sleepiness the morning you did it and just overloaded the bar more than what she had you doing with her the previous week?

If she gave you a program without even checking/watching you lift it she doesn't deserve your money. It's just altogether unsafe! She should be ensuring you understand what you're doing first and foremost before even writing you a program and making sure you know how to bail out of a missed lift! (You shouldn't be at the stage of bailing if a beginner either) Otherwise you're paying someone to lift a template from bb.com or something and slap your name on top of it!

Glad you lifted the weight off though! You could still be under it and never have shared on boards!

Stay safe and good luck with the program! :)

Nah, it was completely my fault. It's clearly written down the weight to lift I was just an eejit :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Did you realise how heavy it would be when you were lifting all the weights to put them on the bar?

wakka12 wrote: »
    Did you realise how heavy it would be when you were lifting all the weights to put them on the bar?

As I said, I thought it was heavy but I was still half asleep. Loaded up the weights and jumped under, not a bother. Till I tried to lift it of course

As I said, I thought it was heavy but I was still half asleep. Loaded up the weights and jumped under, not a bother. Till I tried to lift it of course

Ah. I know the feeling, i never used enough to nearly kill myself but I used weights that were heavy enough that if I do the exercise wrongly it might break my wrist. Nearly broke my arm one time, was more worried Id instinctively scream out and cause a commotion int he gym than hurting myself though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Was inside a car(Ford Corsair) that caught fire when i was about 5.

Fell off the back of a horse, hit my head on a rock, fell out of a bunk bed, landed on my head, also had a bottle smashed off my head in a pub.

Still here, hard head :)

Used to drive a tower crane, back in the boom times.

Banksman forgot to take the chains off a mobile compressor attached to a truck.
    Truck starts driving away, pulling the chains, hook and block.
    I start letting out the cranes cable out as fast as i can(shouting down the radio!)......like being inside a massive fishing rod....tower crane starts bending and bending.....

Noise was unmerciful.....time seemed to stretch....compressor lifted off the ground, truck driver copped, got away with it.....had nightmares for a few nights after that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭deseil

Was mad for climbing trees when i was younger, I was like a monkey id fly up to the top and shake all the conkers off.

One day while very high up in a tree the branch I was holding snapped and I lost my balance, I fell hitting lots of branches on the way down and landed in the middle of a river got swept down stream a bit before managing to grab onto a branch at the edge. 24 stitches and a very big fright.

On another note, I'm finding it difficult to move this morning and had to crawl to the bathroom for a shower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Is this where you need to drink like 50 billion protein shakes and have raw eggs for breakfast

Muckie wrote: »
    Was inside a car(Ford Corsair) that caught fire when i was about 5.

Fell off the back of a horse, hit my head on a rock, fell out of a bunk bed, landed on my head, also had a bottle smashed off my head in a pub.

Still here, hard head :)

Used to drive a tower crane, back in the boom times.

Banksman forgot to take the chains off a mobile compressor attached to a truck.
    Truck starts driving away, pulling the chains, hook and block.
    I start letting out the cranes cable out as fast as i can(shouting down the radio!)......like being inside a massive fishing rod....tower crane starts bending and bending.....

Noise was unmerciful.....time seemed to stretch....compressor lifted off the ground, truck driver copped, got away with it.....had nightmares for a few nights after that!
    Oh wow ,sounds like something in final destination!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

KERSPLAT! wrote:
    On another note, I'm finding it difficult to move this morning and had to crawl to the bathroom for a shower

Lactic acid build up.. Best thing for it is a light workout followed by some rolling ( foam roller) and stretching ... failing that have a very hot Epsom bath ...

Or take some anti inflammatories .. and painkillers.... ;)

• Advertisement

I have tea...

Advertisement