Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today i nearly died...

Options
  • 11-04-2016 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭

So, today I nearly died.

I met a personal trainer last week to get me started with free weights. Everything went fine, she created a programme for me and off I went. Today was my first morning for the programme. Got to the gym at 6.45 raring to go.

Got myself warmed up with 10 minutes on a cross trainer and a few stretches.

First up, chest press. Loaded up the weights on both sides, slid under the bar, rolled the bar off the rack and BAM! the bar was stuck to my chest. Little did I realise that the weight of 35kg (don't slag, I'm only starting!!) Was to be spread across both sides, not on both sides... It took everything I had to lift the f**king thing off me!! I really thought I was fecked!

Managed to lift it and took a few minutes to access what had just happened. I had nearly died. Decided to just do 2 x sets after that instead of the 3 x that I was supposed to do :rolleyes:

On a positive note, I was informed after that I now have a PB of 70kg excluding the bar \o/

So, AH, you had any close calls?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Do you even...oh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    So, today I nearly died.

I met a personal trainer last week to get me started with free weights. Everything went fine, she created a programme for me and off I went. Today was my first morning for the programme. Got to the gym at 6.45 raring to go.

Got myself warmed up with 10 minutes on a cross trainer and a few stretches.

First up, chest press. Loaded up the weights on both sides, slid under the bar, rolled the bar off the rack and BAM! the bar was stuck to my chest. Little did I realise that the weight of 35kg (don't slag, I'm only starting!!) Was to be spread across both sides, not on both sides... It took everything I had to lift the f**king thing off me!! I really thought I was fecked!

Managed to lift it and took a few minutes to access what had just happened. I had nearly died. Decided to just do 2 x sets after that instead of the 3 x that I was supposed to do :rolleyes:

On a positive note, I was informed after that I now have a PB of 70kg excluding the bar \o/

So, AH, you had any close calls?

The irony, kersplat goes out with a kersplat.
    Glad your ok chief.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You didn't think when putting 35kg on both ends of the bar that this might be a bit heavy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Hmm, that could be me in the gym next week, first time since leaving the military 22 years ago so I expect pain. I have a trainer as well and pretty sure the guys going to kill me.

And that's where (in the military) my close calls would be. But if I told you, you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Try not to overdose on creatine OP.

One time while not sober, I was sitting on a wall with a 6-7ft drop on the other side. I fainted, fell backwards and landed on my head on concrete and broken glass. Hospital confirmed I just had some neck muscle strain. I'm lucky I don't have enough brain cells to damage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

nearly died when I collapsed in school at 17, woke in Beaumont 2 days later!

Fun times!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

90 kgs in total so?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I almost got crushed by a bus.

Luckily I saw it well in time and just didn't step out onto the street. Disaster avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Too many to even enumerate - though only resuscitated once as far as I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

myshirt wrote: »
    90 kgs in total so?

Seems a lot to lift on your first go
    When I get stuck I normall stick one end on the ground and scoot out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

90 kgs in total so?

Not sure tbh. I'm told the bar is 15/20kg?

@awec, it did seem a bit much but it was about 7am, I was still in sleep mode or I thought I was He-Man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Being born was kinda risky cause I did die then to be revived and about 5 cardiac arrests in 3 weeks - so I have been told.
    Had misdiagnosed scarlet fever as a child which left me in hospital for a bit too.
    Other than that been very lucky.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,960 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Thank God someone else here is puny. I refuse to go near the bar any more.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

90 kgs in total so?

No different to levering some drunk challenger off you in a pub car park dustup then.

Thank God someone else here is puny. I refuse to go near the bar any more.

I prefer beginner!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Couple of years ago near Finglas Clearwater, I was walking across the Finglas Road just at the lights there when the filter was on.

Teenagers joyriding in a Fiesta come flying up the bus lane unseen at about 70mph, break the lights, miss me by a whisker and plow into an Avensis that was turning into Tesco. They reverse, car barely hanging together, and drive away. Guards found it abandoned in a field a few hours later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Roll of shaaaaame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I grew up on a farm. Well not on an actual farm, but my dad had a farm we were on a lot. I've had many close calls. Mainly because I never learn my lesson.
    When I was two I stuck my hand into a tractors fan belt, top of my finger was chopped off (but they sewed it back on), I probably wouldn't have been killed but the Drs were surprised I hadn't lost my hand.

We were putting bales into the shed and we had this escalator thing for getting the bales to the top of the shed. I was about to climb down it when my brother went to start it just as I was getting down. The chain thing caught my jumper and pulled my arm towards it. Luckily my dad was close by and managed to hit the lever and turn it off.

Climbed a massive tree that was growing apples, I was up near the top of it and my brother who was scared of heights kept throwing apples that had fallen, at me to try knock me out of it.

My dad had put me standing in a gap on my neighbours farm when they were trying to get a cow in, I was scared and moved the first time and she got away. They got her back and put me back in the gap with the strict instructions not to move but to shoo her away, and not let her pass me. The poor cow was terrified and kept running straight for the gap (and me) and I was standing there, more afraid of my dad than the cow, and she ran straight at me, missing me by cms. The neighbour and my dad got such a fright, they were sure I was going to be trampled.

Fell off round bales when I was climbing them in the shed, and got stuck down between them. Luckily my brother was out with me playing and when I fell he went to get my dad, who got me out. Had I went down upside down I'd have broken my neck or suffocated.

When I got older,
    Sitting on the back of a bale lifter while my brother was joy riding the tractor around the field. He hit a dip in the ground and the pin ended up coming out of the lifter, trapping me under it, and getting pulled along a little bit. I was 23 so old enough to know better. I ended up needing an op, and have 2 plates, a pin and a rake of screws in my ankle, and had a dislocated bone as well as 4 broken ones.

Myself and my brother were in a car accident where he turned the car upside down. I got a fright, and apart from being cut by glass when he was pulling me out of it, I wasn't badly hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

That happened to me once, I have a bench at home so I'm always conscious of having to stop before I nacker my arms to much.

I was at a party as a young lad off my head on yolks and there was a weight bench in the middle of the party. I put everything on it (maybe 90kg) and went lifting it like a mod thing. Luckily the other people at the party stopped me before my heart jumped out of my chest and started a fight with someone. I was in agony the next day though, I could barely lift anything at all for the next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Also don't feel bad about being weak OP. I once pulled a muscle putting an 8lb turkey in the boot of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

topper75 wrote: »
    No different to levering some drunk challenger off you in a pub car park dustup then.

It's very different

Also don't feel bad about being weak OP. I once pulled a muscle putting an 8lb turkey in the boot of the car.

I'm a beginner!!! :mad::mad:

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

...how...how do you get past the initial "HOLY SHIT THIS BAR IS HEAVIER THAN I AM" reaction that should have happened the instant you tried to lift it off the rack?

Good lord.

35 + 35 + 20 is 90kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

I would guess that was supposed to be 35kg total - ie. 7.5kg on each side of the bar.

Surprising the PT didn't go through a set with you?

Anyway, glad you're alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,348 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I grew up on a farm. Well not on an actual farm, but my dad had a farm we were on a lot. I've had many close calls. Mainly because I never learn my lesson.
    When I was two I stuck my hand into a tractors fan belt, top of my finger was chopped off (but they sewed it back on), I probably wouldn't have been killed but the Drs were surprised I hadn't lost my hand.

We were putting bales into the shed and we had this escalator thing for getting the bales to the top of the shed. I was about to climb down it when my brother went to start it just as I was getting down. The chain thing caught my jumper and pulled my arm towards it. Luckily my dad was close by and managed to hit the lever and turn it off.

Climbed a massive tree that was growing apples, I was up near the top of it and my brother who was scared of heights kept throwing apples that had fallen, at me to try knock me out of it.

My dad had put me standing in a gap on my neighbours farm when they were trying to get a cow in, I was scared and moved the first time and she got away. They got her back and put me back in the gap with the strict instructions not to move but to shoo her away, and not let her pass me. The poor cow was terrified and kept running straight for the gap (and me) and I was standing there, more afraid of my dad than the cow, and she ran straight at me, missing me by cms. The neighbour and my dad got such a fright, they were sure I was going to be trampled.

Fell off round bales when I was climbing them in the shed, and got stuck down between them. Luckily my brother was out with me playing and when I fell he went to get my dad, who got me out. Had I went down upside down I'd have broken my neck or suffocated.

When I got older,
    Sitting on the back of a bale lifter while my brother was joy riding the tractor around the field. He hit a dip in the ground and the pin ended up coming out of the lifter, trapping me under it, and getting pulled along a little bit. I was 23 so old enough to know better. I ended up needing an op, and have 2 plates, a pin and a rake of screws in my ankle, and had a dislocated bone as well as 4 broken ones.

Myself and my brother were in a car accident where he turned the car upside down. I got a fright, and apart from being cut by glass when he was pulling me out of it, I wasn't badly hurt.

There's a podcaster called George Hirab (http://www.geologicpodcast.com/) and he does a section on people who escaped death multiple times. I reckon you'd be on the top of his list.

I grew up around farms and played on them too. Apart from the few falls out of trees and being chased by herds of bullocks and and the obligatory fall in the hay barn, I never got hurt.

I was almost run down by 3 mopeds once. I was crossing the road at the bus stop in Maynooth, across from the Glenroyal hotel. The Lights were red at the junction on the bottom of the hill and traffic was backed up all the way to the hotel. I was crossing in between the cars and when i got to the middle of the road, I was looking left for oncoming traffic when a moped zoomed past me just behind me, then another one flew past just in front of me, and a third one flew past behind me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Weights! Narcissistic bunkum. Do it properly - roll a car through a hedge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Have obtained secret footage of Kersplat! Glad you are okay mate (at least you didn't do a Chris Duffin and have the weights fall off both sides of the bar!). :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Propping up bars takes years of practice and dedication, let this be a lesson to you.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    ...how...how do you get past the initial "HOLY SHIT THIS BAR IS HEAVIER THAN I AM" reaction that should have happened the instant you tried to lift it off the rack?

Good lord.

35 + 35 + 20 is 90kg.

I didn't much time to think, as soon as I lifted it off my first thought was "Oh ****"
    NiallBoo wrote: »
    I would guess that was supposed to be 35kg total - ie. 7.5kg on each side of the bar.

Surprising the PT didn't go through a set with you?

Anyway, glad you're alive.

She did but I didn't see what weight was on each side, she was adjusting it each time to get the right weight I assume.

35kg + the bar is right I think, I did 2 sets after my near demise and it went pretty well

Advertisement