Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today i nearly died...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,964 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I prefer beginner!

So do I but let's be honest...

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Ouch, painful way to start :eek:

A little late now, but you should use safety spotters, they are the bars the come out from the rack. Adjust them to the right height so they can take the bar if you can't get it back up.

Plus, the bar itself is 20kg before you put on weight, so if they say you should press 35kg, then you should be putting 7.5kg on each side (7.5 + 7.5 + 20).

Keep it up, a couple of months and you'll be smashing that weight for reps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Akrasia wrote: »
    There's a podcaster called George Hirab (http://www.geologicpodcast.com/) and he does a section on people who escaped death multiple times. I reckon you'd be on the top of his list.

I grew up around farms and played on them too. Apart from the few falls out of trees and being chased by herds of bullocks and and the obligatory fall in the hay barn, I never got hurt.

Reminds me of once crossing a neighbours field with bullocks in it. Myself and my brother. Im the oldest one and he was a horrid wimpy child. We were running across the field, they're naturally curious and ran after us. He was crying, screaming, absolutely terrified. We were almost across the field but he was getting so upset and frightened he wasn't able to run.

So, being a good big sister I told him to keep running and I ran at the cattle shouting and waving my arms, which scared them, and they scattered, so he's out under the fence waiting for me, the cattle have ran away and I'm sauntering back like a boss.

Shoulda let them eat him. Oh if I knew then what I know now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Lost control of my bike a couple years ago training for race. Deliberately crashed into a ditch to avoid being hit by a car, went over the bars, picked my self up, and thought I was a very lucky lucky boy.

Went our seperate ways after making sure both okay, got back on my bike, after a few miles after the adrenaline wore off, checked my self and bike over, few cuts and scraps, rips in my gear, thought to my self again, lucky lucky boy.

Couple days later, brusies came out to arms from the wall lining the ditch,, abdomen from the handlebars, inner thighs from the cross bar, and shins and calfs from the pedals. Thought again, you are a very, very, lucky, lucky boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Did you not have someone to spot you?
    Beginners should always have someone to spot them... Makes sure they don't do stoopiid stuff like load on the weights 
    Still 90kgs is impressive.. I would've laughed though if I witnessed it..

On a side note, I ate curry once.. woke up 2 hours later in a&e after going into heart failure... Anaphylaxis..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I nearly got killed by a flying bath.

Sitting in traffic approaching a roundabout, a van + trailer comes off the roundabout a little too quick. Trailer was full of building supplies, including a bath that wasn't tied down. Trailer makes the turn, bath keeps going straight on. Missed my car by inches.

OK, I wouldn't have died, but I can't imagine it would have been an easy one to explain to the insurance assessor!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Bet you didn't bath an eyelid ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Haha don't worry about it OP , your not the first one to that on a chest press. I did it years ago when I was starting out in the same fashion , didn't realise how much weight I had loaded until it was off the rack and planted on my chest.

Had to roll off the bench with the weights clattering behind me while I'm on the floor trying to pump oxygen back into my lungs , swear I was turning blue by the time I got free.

Luckily , I now know how to correctly rack the weights! Onwards and upwards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Just use the machine no ?

much safer then the bar ..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

6'1" of me, 6'2" of water. Tippy toe, tippy toe...

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

About 8 years ago I flipped my little Peugeot 106 onto its roof and skidded down a narrow country road for about 20 yards... Climbed out without a bruise or a scratch! If I'd met another car on the road I'd be brown bread for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I much prefer dumbbell bench press.

Much better ROM and stretch, also safer.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Scumbag decided to introduce my head to a golf club a couple of times.

I probably wasnt close to dying but its the best I got :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

When I was about 8 or so I fell out of a tree. My jumper snagged on a branch and I was left hanging. My friend raced inside to get help but once there she saw that our parents were sitting down to a feed of sausages. Her very favourite food! She was momentarily distracted by this and chomped her way through one before remembering the emergency at hand. She blurted out that I was hanging and my parents ran outside where they found me blue in the face and barely conscious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

So do I but let's be honest...

To be fair pressing 90KGs is an absolutely huge amount for any beginner. That's about 15 stone. Most people starting off find about 40kg challenging enough. I'm not into weights at all anymore but I used to be huge into it. My PB was 120kg and that was after two years of training. Anyone who can do a rep of 90KG on their first attempt is the furthest thing from puny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Yep, safest way is to use a power rack with safety bars :)
    I try to be ultra-paranoid about such things, as there are a lot of ways to permanently injure yourself with weights (and a handful of ways to kill yourself - bench pressing without safety bars or a spotter, being the most common way).

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

Climbed a massive tree that was growing apples, I was up near the top of it and my brother who was scared of heights kept throwing apples that had fallen, at me to try knock me out of it.

all kids climb trees,, slim to none chance of dying from falling out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I know there are a few chances of it happening, my dad seen his childhood friend fall from a tree and die on the spot - rare but does happen.

Edit: not saying I am one of those "children should never climb trees" people - they will climb trees when out of sight of parents and there is a small chance of death or life changing injuries from it, same with many activities.

I personally wouldn't like to be someone who fell 20 odd foot out of a tree!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Rhea Rose

Been there once or twice. Kinda.

I got stuck under 45kg before, by stupidly thinking I'd be 'grand for a few more reps'. Anyway, I was pinned there trying to get someone's attention 'eh bit of help here?!', but no-one could hear me (or no-one gave a ****:o). I tried rolling it off but it got jammed at my hipbones.

Eventually, this guy saw me and came running over to lift it - and he couldn't! He was a bit of a skinny minny in fairness, and it was awkward to lift it off, but I can imagine it was a bit embarrassing. Another dude saved the day in the end, but I still get the 'cringes' just thinking about it.

• Advertisement

Bet you didn't bath an eyelid ðŸ˜႒

It came flying towards me like a bath out of hell.

When I was about 8 or so I fell out of a tree. My jumper snagged on a branch and I was left hanging. My friend raced inside to get help but once there she saw that our parents were sitting down to a feed of sausages. Her very favourite food! She was momentarily distracted by this and chomped her way through one before remembering the emergency at hand. She blurted out that I was hanging and my parents ran outside where they found me blue in the face and barely conscious!

I can't believe she didn't tell your parents straight away.

They would have run outside and she'd have had all the sausages to herself!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Rhea Rose

I personally wouldn't like to be someone who fell 20 odd foot out of a tree!

I was a total tomboy kid and used to go out climbing trees at my neighbours house with her two boys. We had this 'great idea' to see who could get to the top of this big ass tree in the field behind their house. I got pretty damn close and I was standing on a branch showing off when it snapped...

Thankfully, the other branches on the way down broke my fall - but I wound up slipping a disc in my back and tearing half the skin off from the tree bark:eek:

Nothing was more wounded than my pride:o And I fcuking hate heights now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

last time I was in the gym I had a bad time. I was pissing dark tea for 2 days after. Rhabdo it's called. for the love of god try not to let it happen to you

You see these motivational videos of fat people collapsing and then they're encouraged to get up and keep going, like the only thing holding them back is their mind.

total bollox, I don't possess the ability to know when enough is enough because I kept pushing myself like you see these fatties do when they're trying to do 6 burpees, except it was about 2 hours of the heaviest lifting I'd ever done

I haven't gone back since.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,964 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

To be fair pressing 90KGs is an absolutely huge amount for any beginner. That's about 15 stone. Most people starting off find about 40kg challenging enough. I'm not into weights at all anymore but I used to be huge into it. My PB was 120kg and that was after two years of training. Anyone who can do a rep of 90KG on their first attempt is the furthest thing from puny.

I've no idea what my best starting weight would be. I put 5kg on either side but I was still very apprehensive when doing the exercise.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

/changes username to "The Beast"

:D

But seriously, there's not a hope I could have done another and I won't be trying it again for a while!

I'd have thought you'd have loads of practice heavy lifting with that ban stick of yours!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

I grew up on a farm. Well not on an actual farm, but my dad had a farm we were on a lot. I've had many close calls. Mainly because I never learn my lesson.
    When I was two I stuck my hand into a tractors fan belt, top of my finger was chopped off (but they sewed it back on), I probably wouldn't have been killed but the Drs were surprised I hadn't lost my hand.

We were putting bales into the shed and we had this escalator thing for getting the bales to the top of the shed. I was about to climb down it when my brother went to start it just as I was getting down. The chain thing caught my jumper and pulled my arm towards it. Luckily my dad was close by and managed to hit the lever and turn it off.

Climbed a massive tree that was growing apples, I was up near the top of it and my brother who was scared of heights kept throwing apples that had fallen, at me to try knock me out of it.

My dad had put me standing in a gap on my neighbours farm when they were trying to get a cow in, I was scared and moved the first time and she got away. They got her back and put me back in the gap with the strict instructions not to move but to shoo her away, and not let her pass me. The poor cow was terrified and kept running straight for the gap (and me) and I was standing there, more afraid of my dad than the cow, and she ran straight at me, missing me by cms. The neighbour and my dad got such a fright, they were sure I was going to be trampled.

Fell off round bales when I was climbing them in the shed, and got stuck down between them. Luckily my brother was out with me playing and when I fell he went to get my dad, who got me out. Had I went down upside down I'd have broken my neck or suffocated.

When I got older,
    Sitting on the back of a bale lifter while my brother was joy riding the tractor around the field. He hit a dip in the ground and the pin ended up coming out of the lifter, trapping me under it, and getting pulled along a little bit. I was 23 so old enough to know better. I ended up needing an op, and have 2 plates, a pin and a rake of screws in my ankle, and had a dislocated bone as well as 4 broken ones.

Myself and my brother were in a car accident where he turned the car upside down. I got a fright, and apart from being cut by glass when he was pulling me out of it, I wasn't badly hurt.

Presume you do the Lotto?? :D

I don't actually although I'm convinced I'm going to win it some day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭elefant

Ush1 wrote: »
    I much prefer dumbbell bench press.

Much better ROM and stretch, also safer.

Same. I'm awful paranoid about trying one rep too many with the barbell and crushing myself to death! :pac:

90kg is a monster weight to lift even once on your first try. Worth the near-death experience for the bragging rights ;)

Advertisement