Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justin Bieber guilty of 'Cultural Appropriation'?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It only seems to go one way though. For instance a black women straightening her hair, dying it blonde and wearing blue contacts.

Is that not appropriating Nordic culture?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭Rattser

I always felt left out due to my appearance on this island, born into two ancient Irish royal families O'Connor and O'Neill but have the Clare Spanish Armada gene. I've been abused for my sallow complexion from the past to the current day.

The more I look at it now I think I'm actually a pure Celt. ;)

Isn't the whole "Spanish Armada gene" a myth? Most Armada survivors were killed on the beaches, and many of the remnants eventually escaped from Ireland. A dozen or so Spanish soldiers ended up serving as armed retainers to the Irish chiefs, such as Brian O'Rourke and Hugh O'Neill, but it's unlikely that this small group are responsible for the sallow look of some in the west.

Or perhaps they were very busy boyos!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Rattser wrote: »
    Isn't the whole "Spanish Armada gene" a myth? Most Armada survivors were killed on the beaches, and many of the remnants eventually escaped from Ireland. A dozen or so Spanish soldiers ended up serving as armed retainers to the Irish chiefs, such as Brian O'Rourke and Hugh O'Neill, but it's unlikely that this small group are responsible for the sallow look of some in the west.

Or perhaps they were very busy boyos!

I like to hold onto that.

The liklihood is that my slut mother had a liaison with a Spanish sailor.

I wouldn't put it past the ****. She's a nasty piece of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Anyone that has time to worry about Justin Biebers hairstyle clearly doesn't have many problems in their life. And when did BBC Newsnight turn into MTV News?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rattser wrote: »
    It's not just a historical thing either. There are more people enslaved today, than the total number of people enslaved during the transatlantic slave trade.
    Indeed and though that was a stain on European and European colonial history, it was also Europeans who fought to ban the practice and did. The rest of the world including Africa where the practice was engrained in many if not most cultures continued on. The Muslim world also continued on happily with it(and were the major suppliers to the transatlantic trade). So I find it ironic and not a little sad to see African Americans thinking Islam is better than Christianity. They've both got oceans of blood on their hands, but the latter was a huge force behind banning the practice.
    It only seems to go one way though.
    Of course it does DLH. If in doubt fall back on "it's always the White man's fault". Feminism operates a similar fall back position, though is more open in that they don't have a colour bar…

There is also the underlying notion that White's have no culture so therefore they stole everything. We even see this with White people believing this BS. That post colonial White guilt guff which is incredibly strong in your "progressives". That "oh god you daren't criticise any culture or group(beyond your own) or you're a racist Nazi". We really see this recently with the refugee crisis. Hell, a German minister stood up in parliament and praised the idea that Germany wouldn't be so German in twenty years(the German's can have the guilt bad). Similar craziness came from the Swedes. Falling over themselves in a competition of cultural self hate.

The problem with all of this guff is that there will be a backlash against it and there's evidence of that already with the rise of the Right in Europe and elsewhere. The progressives are fanning the flames of the very thing they seek to stuff in the pages of history and the irony is lost on them.
    Sand wrote: »
    The internet has been a very troubling invention. Previously idiots were limited to their own village. Now, having culturally appropriated the internet they can co-ordinate and share their idiocy with idiots around the world.
    +1000. That should be a popup built into every browser, so that folks would be reminded every time they opened a page on the internet. The problem is S, they're having a wider effect.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭35cent

As a black person myself, I couldn't give half a ****e about a non black person having dreadlocks. I can't see why anyone would even care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

It's African Americans who are annoyed. But this cultural appropriation tomfoolery seems near impossible to avoid from any community in the US, it seems.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/pharrell-apologizes-for-wearing-headdress-on-magazine-cover-20140605

"Celebrate Diversity!"

NO!

"Ok, celebrate diversity by keeping our own cultures to ourselves and not transmitting anything. Ever."

Can't win, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You Samoans are all the same. You have no faith in the essential decency of the white man's culture.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You Samoans are all the same. You have no faith in the essential decency of the white man's culture.
    Funny enough the actual chap described was a Mexican American lawyer and Hispanic rights advocate and Hunter S Thompson changed his background to save his friend from any career fallout after the book got published. He hadn't reckoned on his friend not giving a holy damn and he actually threatened to sue if they didn't directly identify him with the character in the sleeve notes. God's own prototype indeed. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

35cent wrote: »
    As a black person myself, I couldn't give half a ****e about a non black person having dreadlocks. I can't see why anyone would even care.

Some folks have way too much time on their hands! It was mentioned above, but Newsnight really has fallen from grace if this is the sort of crap that is being debated.

I assume blues, funk, soul and jazz are now off limits too. Personally I want all albums from Elvis, Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin and other such 'cultural appropriators' recalled immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Slavery is not just a black thing either....Irish people were sold as slaves in the Caribbean & were actually treated worse than the black slaves

I have to laugh whenever this is trotted out. The myth that thousands of Irish were enslaved originated from Globalresearch.ca which is a joke of a site.

Fortunately it has been debunked.

"We know that Europeans who were forcibly deported from England, Scotland and Ireland to the Caribbean in the mid-17th century cannot be accurately described as “slaves.” They were indentured servants. The difference is not merely a matter of words. Colonial servitude was temporary and non-hereditary, with legal personhood, while colonial slavery was perpetual and hereditary, with sub-human legal status.

In fact the Irish were most prevalent in the Carribean for being slave traders not slaves

"Moreover, what underlines the historiographical vandalism of the “Irish slaves” narrative is that the Irish were also involved in the inhumane treatment of enslaved Africans

Evidence from government records, court records and private papers show that Irish landowners were often enthusiastic exploiters of the African slave trade."

Advertisement