Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justin Bieber guilty of 'Cultural Appropriation'?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

As a liberal leftie, I still find this **** unimportant and unhelpful.

Although it took scanning the start of that video twice to figure out what she was talking about. I thought Bieber was supposed to be the person talking in the freeze frame at the start (it was a rather unflattering image) and was mostly kinda bemused. Yeah, I know he's blond, but hair dye is a thing!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

conorhal wrote: »
    Am I guilty of cultural appropriation if I order and Indian takeaway tonight? If it's racist I'll just go and boil some spuds instead.......

Hmm, originally from the Americas. No spuds for you either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I think for the laugh some PR person of Biebers should come out with a detailed history of Bieber and claim that he is, in fact, African.

Well see some amount of backtracking then, when the world gets to blame black people for Beiber :pac:

Also, come to think of it - aren't we all supposed to be originally African?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

The more I think about stuff like this the more I think people peddling this nonsense are completely stupid. She seems to be saying all black culture is the same. Now does she mean American Black culture ? or African, We have to draw a line if she thinks African. As African culture is not some homogeneous blob. What culture exactly ? I think also the same kind of people get mixed up with Race and Culture as well. Being black or white does not make you the same for example. And tbh the guy she was ranting at had Black ancestors so he's appropriating nothing. Unless she believes in some Aryan race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭conorhal

Bugger... Culturally appropriate starvation for dinner it is so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Are we still allowed enjoy boiling things?

Are we still allowed enjoy boiling things?

Nope I assume our non white ancestors invented that after finding out how fire works.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

Nope I assume our non white ancestors invented that after finding out how fire works.

So which modern day race has dibs on it? I reckon we can trade them some Irish developed stuff (like boycotting stuff, and Billy Roll Ham).

Actually which ethnic grouping has cultural ownership of trade?!

So which modern day race has dibs on it? I reckon we can trade them some Irish developed stuff (like boycotting stuff, and Billy Roll Ham).

That's a tough one could be as far back as home-sapiens and Neanderthals they reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

This cultural appropriation thing is nonsense. If people want to adopt aspects of another culture surely that's a good thing in terms of cultural understanding and people identifying with parts of other groups in a society.

It's stuff like that that builds bridges.

How far do you want to go with this?

Is enjoying cooking Italian food appropriating Italian culture?

Is participating in Patrick's Day in the US stealing Irish culture ?

Some of this hyper sensitivity is starting to be hugely counterproductive in terms of building societies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Led Zeppelin are guilty of cultural appropriation, how dare they take blues from African-Americans and put it into their white man sounds.

Rory Gallagher is probably the greatest monster of the 20th century.

I have no issue with some elements of sensitivity. It's not a sweeping load of bullcrap. I think most of us can get together on blackface minstrel shows being fairly inappropriate these days. And I blinked a bit at a totally casual use in an old children's book I was reading the other day of "working like a n*gger". I'm not at all bothered by someone dressing as a red-bearded leprechaun on St. Patrick's Day though.

Just like anything else, sensitivity is good in a reasonable dose but can all go too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Turf - what could be more irish than that!
    So maybe we can maybe barter some nice turf

We can trade in turf and clover. And leprechaun gold.

12Phase wrote: »

Is participating in Patrick's Day in the US stealing Irish culture ?

Irish people are white, so that's fine. You can literally create a team called the 'Fighting Irish' with a leprechaun raising his fists as your mascot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

seamus wrote: »
    People still seem surprised that racism isn't something only white people engage in.

Some people argue that black people can't be racist.

We all remember that equality and diversity officer was it not from that University that said she could not be Racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

seamus wrote:
    People still seem surprised that racism isn't something only white people engage in.

I (foolishly) got into a conversation about this on an American forum before and the girl in question maintained that "reverse racism" isn't a thing because, slavery. She seemed quite genuinely baffled when I pointed out that a) it's just racism, there's nothing "reverse" about it and b) racism as a concept is not limited to the American experience of it.

We all remember that equality and diversity officer was it not from that University that said she could not be Racist.

Bahar Mustafa from Goldsmiths University. She's Turkish. The argument given is always that racism is actually power + privilege, and non-white people don't have the power. I'd love to hear her views on the Turkish genocide of Armenians though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I'd consider myself a left leaning chap - this type of sh!te gives fuel to people to shout "PC Gone Mad"
    Complete nonsense

She would probably hate the Guinness add about Jazz being on "White" Radio Stations

• Advertisement

Bahar Mustafa from Goldsmiths University. She's Turkish. The argument given is always that racism is actually power + privilege, and non-white people don't have the power. I'd love to hear her views on the Turkish genocide of Armenians though.

It's Gas like Egyptians Turks don't consider themselves black for example. They tend to identify more with white.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,372 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

indeed they do. and those people are idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

Cultural appropriation is a load of bollox.
    • Better not order a curry anymore. That's Indian cultural appropriation.
    • Ordering pizza... Appropriation of Italian/Teenage Mutant Hero Turtle culture.
    • I should really stop drinking tea. I'm totally appropriating Chinese culture right now.
    • In fact, I should also stop celebrating Christmas. Appropriation of Pagan culture is so wrong.
    • People with beards are guilty of appropriating caveman culture. Shame on you.
    • Any white person who listens to rap music is guilty of cultural appropriation. How can you sleep at night?

Young black Americans love to moan about cultural appropriation. It's utter nonsense. No-one ever complains about black Americans if they wear a straight weave. Or if they lighten their skin. The whole thing is part of a gigantic victim complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Wow was there nothing else going on in the world? If that was a black guy in SF talking like that & dragging a girl around he would be arrested for intimidation & assault but because its a girl she can get away with it.
    Feminists especially ones from so called ethnic minorities need to get a grip, I mean getting worked up with meaningless crap like someones hairstyle come on

Samaris wrote: »
    I have no issue with some elements of sensitivity. It's not a sweeping load of bullcrap. I think most of us can get together on blackface minstrel shows being fairly inappropriate these days. And I blinked a bit at a totally casual use in an old children's book I was reading the other day of "working like a n*gger". I'm not at all bothered by someone dressing as a red-bearded leprechaun on St. Patrick's Day though.

Just like anything else, sensitivity is good in a reasonable dose but can all go too far.

There's a big difference.

Blackface stuff was intended to mock and ridicule. That isn't cultural appropriation or adopting something you think is cool. It's just plain and simple mockery and bullying. It's the same as paddywhakery Irish stereotypes being used as a way of putting us down for amusement.

There's a world of difference between that and someone opting to style their hair because they like it that way.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I (foolishly) got into a conversation about this on an American forum before and the girl in question maintained that "reverse racism" isn't a thing because, slavery. She seemed quite genuinely baffled when I pointed out that a) it's just racism, there's nothing "reverse" about it and b) racism as a concept is not limited to the American experience of it.

Slavery is not just a black thing either....Irish people were sold as slaves in the Caribbean & were actually treated worse than the black slaves

• Registered Users Posts: 40,372 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

12Phase wrote: »
    There's a big difference.

Blackface stuff was intended to mock and ridicule. That isn't cultural appropriation or adopting something you think is cool. It's just plain and simple mockery and bullying.

There's a world of difference between that and someone opting to style their hair because they like it that way.

are you sure you are not looking at that through 21st century glasses? It was more a homage than anything. Inappropriate to modern eyes for sure but the intent was not to mock and ridicule.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Can the leftits on AH please make a list of what hair styles and clothes are acceptable for each race?

biko wrote: »
    Can the leftits on AH please make a list of what hair styles and clothes are acceptable for each race?

Obviously lion clothes for Africans & those of African descent

• Advertisement

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Slavery is not just a black thing either....Irish people were sold as slaves in the Caribbean & were actually treated worse than the black slaves

Slavery is just wrong - end of story.

Its very clear that black people were treated absolutely beyond abysmally over the centuries though.

It's just worth remembering though it was by *some* white, racist establishment systems. It's actually pretty racist to accuse every white person of having had an ancestral role in that. Most of us absolutely did not. Nor is if fair to assume that all white people are racist. That's simply not true.

What's frightening is slavery is *still* on going. It's just not happening in the democratic and developed world.

We're still turning a blind eye to it. You're probably using electronics or wearing clothes that have at least components that were produced by people in de facto slave conditions.

Advertisement