Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justin Bieber guilty of 'Cultural Appropriation'?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

The idea of a continuous Celtic culture though is an invented one dreamed up in the coffee houses in the 19th century.

The reality is we know little of the celts and their culture and largely what we do know comes from their art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

rsh118 wrote: »
    The idea of a continuous Celtic culture though is an invented one dreamed up in the coffee houses in the 19th century.

The reality is we know little of the celts and their culture and largely what we do know comes from their art.

All terms describing people are social constructs. Saying the Irish are not celts is just saying that we are not now using the word Celt to describe that culture shared in these islands (and in other parts of Europe) which dominated pre Anglo Saxon invasions. That shared culture and people haven't changed, the history and people hasn't changed and the term Celt might as well be used. And often is of course.

All terms describing people are social constructs. Saying the Irish are not celts is just saying that we are not now using the word Celt to describe that culture shared in these islands (and in other parts of Europe) which dominated pre Anglo Saxon invasions. That shared culture and people haven't changed, the history and people hasn't changed and the term Celt might as well be used. And often is of course.

To be fair, I'm not saying they aren't Celts. I'm saying Celtic culture as we think of it was largely a romantic notion made up in the 1800s by people with little else to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

conorhal wrote: »
    Am I guilty of cultural appropriation if I order and Indian takeaway tonight? If it's racist I'll just go and boil some spuds instead.......

THEY CAME ORIGINALLY FROM SOUTH AMERICA YOU MONSTER!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This is just ridiculous. Do people not have more pressing things to engage themselves in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

"cultural appropriation
    Body/slut shaming
    Checking privilege
    White privilege
    Mansplaining
    Triggered
    Victim blaming
    Transmisogyny
    Patriarchy

Death to all these phrases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Football was invented by white people and is a big part of white culture so i dont think its right for other cultures to play it as thats cultural appropriation and it makes me feel very marginalized and unsafe

Depp wrote:
    Football was invented by white people and is a big part of white culture so i dont think its right for other cultures to play it as thats cultural appropriation and it makes me feel very marginalized and unsafe

Better get building that safe space then :-)

Robsweezie wrote: »
    Better get building that safe space then :-)

what materials do I need I already have tools and stuff, is there a wikihow?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭MacauDragon

Depp wrote: »

As was basketball.

And bass guitar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Riddle101

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Did the Chinese not invent football??

mansize wrote: »
    Did the Chinese not invent football??

no

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭Rattser

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Slavery is not just a black thing either....Irish people were sold as slaves in the Caribbean & were actually treated worse than the black slaves

It's not just a historical thing either. There are more people enslaved today, than the total number of people enslaved during the transatlantic slave trade.
    The United Nations estimates that roughly 27 to 30 million individuals are currently caught in the slave trade industry. The Global Slavery Index 2013 states that 10 nations account for 76 percent of the world's enslaved. India has the most slaves of any country, at 14 million (over 1% of the population).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contemporary_slavery

no

Even FIFA credit them with it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭Rattser

Everyone knows Rupert Murdochs Sky invented football in 1992.

please do not enter my safe space

please do not enter my safe space

I came in the back door, you had left it open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

The codification of soccer(/association football) is English. Every culture in the world probably kicked something around.

I came in the back door, you had left it open

that strikes me as a euphamism, which offends me, this is the internet, you dont have the right to offend me, youre probable even a white male!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Next we will hear that people cannot do Yoga unless they are of Indian origin. I wonder how many of these nutters go out to their local St.Patrick's day celebration and not a smeg of Irish blood in them.
    A swift "..cop yourselves on" needs to to be doled out to these halfwits coming out with this sh!te.
    I wonder what her attitude is to the so many black women who go around wearing long straight hair wigs, especially some of the big name celebs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

Just reading there that the black actress from the Hunger Games, Amandla Stenberg who played Rue, had a go at one the youngest of the Kardashian sisters accusing her of Culture Appropriation. Apparently she should only be able to have the hair style she chose if she had used her power to highlight certain issues which effect black people in America.

She made a video to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If she is so proud of her Afro style or Corn Rows, why is her hair straight.
    This really is bottom of the barrel reasons to be outraged, nobody has a copyright over hairstyle.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

K.Flyer wrote: »
    If she is so proud of her Afro style or Corn Rows, why is her hair straight.
    Pretty much my first thought K.F. :pac: There is a point she's struggling to make, but the lack of self awareness with some of those outrage muppets is beyond staggering. Oh and that style of hair has been around outside of Africa for quite a while. Roman women had all sorts of hair constructions that were very similar.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

rsh118 wrote: »

I always felt left out due to my appearance on this island, born into two ancient Irish royal families O'Connor and O'Neill but have the Clare Spanish Armada gene. I've been abused for my sallow complexion from the past to the current day.

The more I look at it now I think I'm actually a pure Celt. ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This really is political correctness gone utterly out of control. And I bet it comes from so called liberal American universities where faculty who spout bull**** "post-modern" theories on culture and society have dreamed up the term cultural appropriation to get a few papers out and get noticed in the media.

Utterly self-serving drivel. Society is enriched by absorbing elements of different cultures. Rock music is a prime example as is the varied cuisine we now enjoy.

I always felt left out due to my appearance on this island, born into two ancient Irish royal families O'Connor and O'Neill but have the Clare Spanish Armada gene. I've been abused for my sallow complexion from the past to the current day.

The more I look at it now I think I'm actually a pure Celt. ;)

If the 1800s taught us anything it's that if you believe it it's true! Though that might be a bit leftie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Not going to read through 13 pages of comments but I presume there's been a lot of posters calling this out as racism?
    If so, rightly so.
    It's the equivalent of a white person telling a black person they can't own a large house and a lot of land because ya know that's our thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

"Cultural Appropriation" - One of the biggest loads of ****e I have ever heard :pac:

Advertisement