Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegans

Options
  • 07-04-2016 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭

Apart from the usual jokes such as 'how do you know if someones vegan' blah blah,
    Why do they feel so much more enlightened than someone who likes to eat a good burger or half a chicken for dinner?
    I get it, you dont want to follow the evolution of man thru dietary needs and wants.
    Surely evolution would have made all prey some way unappetizing like arrow frogs with their colours/flavours if we were not meant to eat them??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

Ah, just leave them to it. They feel more high and mighty because they are thanks to lower greenhouse emissions and fewer killed animals than us.

It's like having a go at hipsters, they're harmless!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Didn't that McGregor guy lose to some vegan few weeks back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

We're not "meant" to do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Their existence means more meat for you, so what you worried about .........

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Vegans are the meat eaters equivalent of ISIS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Not this again! I love my meat, I hunt, I fish but I get really sick of these bloody threads. Vegans are different to me same as Protestants are different to me. We believe different things but I don't hate them for that - just the exact same as Vegans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

FanadMan wrote: »
    Not this again! I love my meat, I hunt, I fish but I get really sick of these bloody threads. Vegans are different to me same as Protestants are different to me. We believe different things but I don't hate them for that - just the exact same as Vegans.

What's the connection .......... they both love oranges? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I can honestly say no one has ever just come up to me and announced that they were vegan apart from two people: one was a woman I was serving in work so that's fair enough, it's the kind of thing I need to know and another was a girl I was seeing for a while and she wasn't condescending or acting all "enlightened" at all. In fact she regularly served meat and fish dishes to customers without issue. It was a completely personal thing for her. I don't think the whole "how do you know someone is a vegan?" thing is true at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I read somewhere it shorted the lifespan quite a bit. And I often wondered how they stay clear of pork products. Pork products are in everything. In a lot of medical treatments like pills and alike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

Yeah, Nate Diaz. He's certainly a good advert for it.

Was watching some press conference with him before the fight where he answered some questions about it. Can't find it now but he talks about it here post fight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

I was sat down in a pub beer garden one fine sunny afternoon, enjoying a beer and a nice lump of steak, with chips, and all the trimmings. Was minding me own business, taking in the sights and sounds, enjoying me beer and me burger. Bothering no one. Minding me own business.

Next thing I know, this big lard ass, eco warrior plonks her self down on the table next to mine with her dreaded, crusty looking (presumably) boyfriend. The two of em with massive plates of fresh green salad.

The two of em start giving me evils and a look of disgust across from their table, and I'm at a loss as to what the fcuk I've done wrong, or to offend them.....

Next thing I cop it, the female of the species is wearing a t-shirt that proudly exclaimed she was a vegan.

She watched me cut into a nice juicy piece of steak, raise it to me mouth, and just before I bit into it asked me if I knew how that animal I was chewing on died?

I just looked at her and her equally overweight soap dodging mate tuckin into their fresh mountains of salad and said yeah you probably starved it to death you fat bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

I was sat down in a pub beer garden one fine sunny afternoon, enjoying a beer and a nice lump of steak, with chips, and all the trimmings. Was minding me own business, taking in the sights and sounds, enjoying me beer and me burger. Bothering no one. Minding me own business.

Next thing I know, this big lard ass, eco warrior plonks her self down on the table next to mine with her dreaded, crusty looking (presumably) boyfriend. The two of em with massive plates of fresh green salad.

The two of em start giving me evils and a look of disgust across from their table, and I'm at a loss as to what the fcuk I've done wrong, or to offend them.....

Next thing I cop it, the female of the species is wearing a t-shirt that proudly exclaimed she was a vegan.

She watched me cut into a nice juicy piece of steak, raise it to me mouth, and just before I bit into it asked me if I knew how that animal I was chewing on died?

I just looked at her and her equally overweight soap dodging mate tuckin into their fresh mountains of salad and said yeah you probably starved it to death you fat bastard.

Did they respond along the lines of "hang on, that doesn't make sense"?

Because that was my first thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Being vegan is "hip" and trendy atm. It has also been likened to religon

Veganism and religion
    just as most of us consider it wrong for anyone to molest a child or to throw rocks at a puppy, vegans consider it wrong for anyone to consume cheese derived from a cow’s breast milk or to consume a slaughtered chicken’s flesh. Stated differently, vegans, like members of religious faiths more generally, are moral realists. We believe that some actions—such as participating in violence against defenseless human and nonhuman animals—are wrong. That is one of the reasons that many ethical vegans serve our houseguests only vegan food in our homes, regardless of what the guests might ordinarily select when eating by themselves...

[URL]Https://verdict.justia.com/2013/03/06/is-veganism-a-religion-under-anti-discrimination-law[/url]

And perhaps not a voluntary one either ...

On enforcing veganism in the future ...
    "Meat is Murder” is a good song, and has long been used as a campaigning slogan – whether it would be translated verbatim into “vegan law” is another matter. Vegans would equally claim dairy and eggs involve murder too, of course. “Cheese is Murder” seems less catchy to be sure!

I would hope that the force of argument will win the day with most people but you are right to imply that the force of law will have to be employed to control the behaviour of those who insist on their “right” to kill other animals.

This is sure to be a goldmine for lawyers since vegan agriculture itself will probably never be without elements of animal harm. There is a deep irony in the sense that many will regard the law as a form of violence, meaning that a form of violence will be employed to stop or reduce violence.

http://www.villagemagazine.ie/index.php/2014/02/non-violence-demands-veganism-interview-with-dr-roger-yates-co-founder-and-press-officer-of-vegan-ireland-and-a-lecturer-in-the-department-of-sociology-in-ucd/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

That's what the cow was thinking before someone came and took her on a drive to the slaughter house I'd imagine.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I love my meat, bread and dairy.
    In fact I have enjoyed them far too much.

I did the a 4 week Happy Heart Course. This included lectures, advice and cookery lessons.
    At the start of the course they measured my cholesterol, it was 6.53.
    Then the weighed me, I was too heavy :o

At the end of the course my cholesterol was 4.89 and I had lost 7kg (but still too heavy).

During the 4 weeks I could eat as much as I wanted, but it was a "plant based" diet. But no meat, no dairy and only some breads.

That was 2 months ago. I have been on that diet since. I sleep better, my skin is clearer, I had more energy and I feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Cathy.C wrote: »
    That's what the cow was thinking before someone came and took her on a drive to the slaughter house I'd imagine.

Don't think animals have a concept of death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

He might be a vegan but he got his pound of flesh off McGregor.

2011 wrote: »
    I love my meat, bread and dairy.
    In fact I have enjoyed them far too much.

I did the a 4 week Happy Heart Course. This included lectures, advice and cookery lessons.
    At the start of the course they measured my cholesterol, it was 6.53.
    Then the weighed me, I was too heavy :o

At the end of the course my cholesterol was 4.89 and I had lost 7kg (but still too heavy).

During the 4 weeks I could eat as much as I wanted, but it was a "plant based" diet. But no meat, no dairy and only some breads.

That was 2 months ago. I have been on that diet since. I sleep better, my skin is clearer, I had more energy and I feel better.

A commercial venture run by Twin chefs David and Stephen Flynn

From the website etc
    Our Happy Heart classroom course costs €199.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

gozunda wrote: »
    A commercial venture run by Twin chefs David and Stephen Flynn

From the website etc

who happen to run a vegan shop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Just because you are not vegan it doesn't mean you have to eat only meat all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

kneemos wrote: »

That's nonsense.
    Cows get very agitated when they're being moved around. They're scared of new places, noisey places and people they don't know. I haven't ate beef in about 15 years, probably longer, because I grew up on a farm and I know cows are much more intelligent and aware than they're given credit for

That's nonsense.
    Cows get very agitated when they're being moved around. They're scared of new places, noisey places and people they don't know. I haven't ate beef in about 15 years, probably longer, because I grew up on a farm and I know cows are much more intelligent and aware than they're given credit for

I believe he meant that cows don't actually conceptualise "death". They don't 'think' about it or worry about in the abstract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

You don't know that though.
    If a stranger walks into a shed, and tries catch/pet a cow, the cow will be nervous and scared, and will run away.
    Why would anything be scared and try run away? Because they have immediate fear. They're capable of plenty of emotions. Jealousy, and love and fear.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Another one?

How many "I wish vegans would just leave me alone" threads have we had in the last couple of weeks now? 4?

I can't help thinking there must some SERIOUSLY active vegans out there to manage to put that many people under enough pressure, even making them go and complain on the internet. After all, only about 4% of the population here are vegetarian, there aren't even any numbers on how many of them are fully vegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

If a stranger walks into a shed, and tries catch/pet a cow, the cow will be nervous and scared, and will run away.
    Why would anything be scared and try run away? Because they have immediate fear. They're capable of plenty of emotions. Jealousy, and love and fear.

An animal showing a fear of a strange situation or an unknown other animal is natural and anyone who has ever spent any time with any animals know they can and do experience a whole raft of feelings. However, that isn't the same as saying an animal is capable of contemplating its own death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

kneemos wrote: »

Maybe not a concept of death but they sense death and cows and pigs are 'aware' of what's going on when they are carted off to slaughterhouses and are frightened out of their ****e.

I'm not talking chasing and catching a cow in the shed. I'm referring to our cow Bessie in the field or even going to the mart.

'Bessie' is not pondering the meaning of existence, existentialism and the finality of death.

That is a separate matter to being fearful of strange people or circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Kev W wrote: »
    Did they respond along the lines of "hang on, that doesn't make sense"?

Because that was my first thought.

Some one was clearly at the top of the herbivore food chain mate.
    Cathy.C wrote: »

Don't look at me. I only eat them. Some other bloke can worry about their rearing, trading and slaughtering.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Another one?

How many "I wish vegans would just leave me alone" threads have we had in the last couple of weeks now? 4?

I can't help thinking there must some SERIOUSLY active vegans out there to manage to put that many people under enough pressure, even making them go and complain on the internet. After all, only about 4% of the population here are vegetarian, there aren't even any numbers on how many of them are fully vegan.

Check it out - but lumping vegans and vegetarians together could get you in trouble. The poor vegetarians are getting a rough ride recently. 'Veganism' is very very trendy. I wonder how many threads are put up by actual vegans tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

MadDog76 wrote: »
    What's the connection .......... they both love oranges? :confused:

Exactly! King James II obviously lost at the Battle of the Boyne because of a Vitamin C deficiency. :pac:

Advertisement