Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegans

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Why do some vegan or vegetarian meals have their food look like meat? I often see sausages for example. I know the sausage shape is not owned by meat companies but it is associated with meat. I don't understand why they'd want to eat something that looks like meat.

Why would people who can't eat gluten want to eat pasta or bread?
    In my experience, there's two general types of vegetarians and vegans.

The first type simply does not like meat. They don't like the taste, or don't like the texture, just don't like it. Those guys would not go near meat substitutes.

The second type don't have a problem with the taste of meat, or the texture, but dislike the fact that an animal had to die for them to be able to eat meat. They would be the main target market for the substitutes. They like meat, they just don't want to eat animals.

Not all that hard to understand - you like something, but can't have it for some reason (health, ethical conviction, whatever), so you go for a substitute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I am vegan and my experience with many non vegans can be pretty much summarised as follows:

They ask me what I am having and I tell them.

They ask why I am avoiding meat/fish/dairy and I say because I am vegan.

They immediately begin lecturing about protein and calcium and pontificating about morality and not being able to make a difference and how animals are bred for our use anyway and sure they love the taste of bacon too much to ever give it up and eventually I will get bored and change my ways.

When I assure them that I wont because I am not comfortable eating animal products they accuse me of being on a high horse/having an agenda/trying to force my beliefs on them.

In summary - ask a vegan a question, then attack vegan when vegan answers question. I sometimes have a sense that non vegans are trying to be offended by vegans and its an almost self-fulfilling prophecy. Gaslighting is a common tactic.

I'm vegan - my choice. You're not vegan - you're choice. Get the f*ck over it their are montessori students with a better sense of "live and let live" mentality than some non-vegans I have met. Contrary to the spin, I find myself trying not to tell people about my decisions because it always ends up mentally draining. I get tired of the necessity to constantly defend my choices and the quips about "not bad for the real thing" or "I bet the box is more nutritional".

Only thing I will say is there are many vegans I have encountered on social media who insist on quite a militant attitude - I made the unlucky mistake of posting something to the Dublin Vegans FB page a while ago and was lit of by some veganazis because the product had palm oil or honey or something. A mistake is a mistake hey? ;) They get all of us a bad name :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Why do some vegan or vegetarian meals have their food look like meat? I often see sausages for example. I know the sausage shape is not owned by meat companies but it is associated with meat. I don't understand why they'd want to eat something that looks like meat.

I always assumed those products were aimed at people who were cutting out meat for health purposes and found it easier if they could substitute something with similarities to what they were cutting out.

Also just because someone is vegan or vegetarian doesn't mean they don't appreciate that meat is nice. My own partner for example is vegetarian but loves the smell of meat cooking, especially bacon.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've eaten vegan dishes 2 nights in a row now for dinner. This is the first time I've told anyone.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I've eaten vegan dishes 2 nights in a row now for dinner. This is the first time I've told anyone.

I don't know what a tracker mortgage is :)

• Advertisement

Kev W wrote: »
    I always assumed those products were aimed at people who were cutting out meat for health purposes and found it easier if they could substitute something with similarities to what they were cutting out.

Also just because someone is vegan or vegetarian doesn't mean they don't appreciate that meat is nice. My own partner for example is vegetarian but loves the smell of meat cooking, especially bacon.

Yup, this. I miss the taste of meat. My veganism is for ethical reasons, but it doesn't mean I didn't like the taste! Often's the hangover I'd be gagging for a pile of bacon and eggs!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Can honestly say I've never met one single person who fits the alleged vegan stereotype. Have met many, many people who have a problem with vegans and vegetarians though.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I don't know what a tracker mortgage is :)

I am wearing odd socks right now. Not just that but one has horizontal stripes and the other vertical.

God I actually feel better getting that off my chest and out there.

Please don't judge me.
    OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Yup, this. I miss the taste of meat. My veganism is for ethical reasons, but it doesn't mean I didn't like the taste! Often's the hangover I'd be gagging for a pile of bacon and eggs!

Did you listen to the Memphis Meats Interview I linked to above (it starts around 20 minutes into the pod cast if that helps).

Would you switch to such lab grown meat assuming it basically looked and tasted near identical to what is currently in our stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 The Soup King

To be clear, I don't mind if someone's a vegetarian/vegan/carnivore whatever else

What I do mind however, is being interrupted, in my own private leisure time, and have my dinner choice questioned.

Your lifestyle, your choice. My lifestyle, my choice.

Totally understandable. I never talk about my ethics unless someone is showing a real interest and pushy vegans give us all a bad name. The person you encounterd is on a hole different level, had I been you I think I would have had a ssimilar reaction.

I am wearing odd socks right now. Not just that but one has horizontal stripes and the other vertical.

God I actually feel better getting that off my chest and out there.

Please don't judge me.

Did you listen to the Memphis Meats Interview I linked to above (it starts around 20 minutes into the pod cast if that helps).

Would you switch to such lab grown meat assuming it basically looked and tasted near identical to what is currently in our stores?

Yes, once no animals died for its production.

Will have a listen to the interview after work.

I never wear matching socks. I can never ever ever find a pair. Even if I try to buy them all the same colour so they will all be matches, invariably some have been more washed than others and are then different shades. If I find myself inadvertently wearing a matching pair I feel really on edge all day in case it was an omen... :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

djflawless wrote: »
    Apart from the usual jokes such as 'how do you know if someones vegan' blah blah,
    Why do they feel so much more enlightened than someone who likes to eat a good burger or half a chicken for dinner?
    I get it, you dont want to follow the evolution of man thru dietary needs and wants.
    Surely evolution would have made all prey some way unappetizing like arrow frogs with their colours/flavours if we were not meant to eat them??

How do vegans know plants don't have feelings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I eat vegetarian every other day because otherwise I wouldn't have a balanced diet.

Likewise I bought a blender for making smoothies so I can up my fruit intake.

I would eat BBQ pork ribs/steak/bacon/fried chicken/fish etc., for every meal if I could get away with it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Vegetable rights!

Dem vegans coming over here, stealing our cabbage, eating our kale and drinking our ginger beer.

Should all go back to Vegas.

How do vegans know plants don't have feelings

I'm not sure if your joking but I have been asked this seriously before so here's my answers:
    plants have no brain or sentrall nervous system. So it follows they can't fell pain or suffer emotional distress. At least not in any way we can currently understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

You don't know that though.
    If a stranger walks into a shed, and tries catch/pet a cow, the cow will be nervous and scared, and will run away.
    Why would anything be scared and try run away? Because they have immediate fear. They're capable of plenty of emotions. Jealousy, and love and fear.

That's not emotions, that's instinct.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'm not sure if your joking but I have been asked this seriously before so here's my answers:
    plants have no brain or sentrall nervous system. So it follows they can't fell pain or suffer emotional distress. At least not in any way we can currently understand.

Plants do experience stress (link) and indeed can communicate this with their neighbours (link) though you couldn't liken to pain like we experience. Interesting none the less though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Plants do experience stress (link) and indeed can communicate this with their neighbours (link) though you couldn't liken to pain like we experience. Interesting none the less though.

And then there are the plant species which are carnivorous such as our own indigenous sundew and bladderworth.

I wonder would Triffids be discerning if a carrniverous plant species that large actually existed?

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Dayofthetriffids.jpg#mw-jump-to-license

gozunda wrote: »

I wonder would Triffids be discerning if a carrniverous plant species that large actually existed?

Nope, they would have no mercy and it would be the vegans fault that plants have taken over the earth

Damn you vegans!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Nope, they would have no mercy and it would be the vegans fault that plants have taken over the earth

Damn you vegans!

:D

Would it be ethical to kill them in a vegan world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Stacker Pentecost

I was sat down in a pub beer garden one fine sunny afternoon, enjoying a beer and a nice lump of steak, with chips, and all the trimmings. Was minding me own business, taking in the sights and sounds, enjoying me beer and me burger. Bothering no one. Minding me own business.

Next thing I know, this big lard ass, eco warrior plonks her self down on the table next to mine with her dreaded, crusty looking (presumably) boyfriend. The two of em with massive plates of fresh green salad.

The two of em start giving me evils and a look of disgust across from their table, and I'm at a loss as to what the fcuk I've done wrong, or to offend them.....

Next thing I cop it, the female of the species is wearing a t-shirt that proudly exclaimed she was a vegan.

She watched me cut into a nice juicy piece of steak, raise it to me mouth, and just before I bit into it asked me if I knew how that animal I was chewing on died?

I just looked at her and her equally overweight soap dodging mate tuckin into their fresh mountains of salad and said yeah you probably starved it to death you fat bastard.
    Kev W wrote: »
    Did they respond along the lines of "hang on, that doesn't make sense"?

Because that was my first thought.

I doubt they did, because...it didn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

And also respond to pain relief

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1998/08/980806090010.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

Ah yeah, those vegans everywhere making you feel bad about eating meat. At least that's what my mates mate said, he's pretty straight up though, not the sort to make this sort of thing up.

Vegans; they don't harm anyone. If their crusade pisses you off it says more about you than them.

wil wrote: »

Wow, genuinely fascinating

I stand corrected. Very interesting indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Jesus, are you ok? How did you have the energy to get out of bed?

:pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

smash wrote: »
    Jesus, are you ok? How did you have the energy to get out of bed?

:pac:
    non-vegan breakfast and lunches :)

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

Something just occurred to me...

Do vegans eat veg ect. that has been fertilized using animal waste??

Ms. Pingui wrote: »
    Something just occurred to me...

Do vegans eat veg ect. that has been fertilized using animal waste??

Yes we do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

You don't know that though.
    If a stranger walks into a shed, and tries catch/pet a cow, the cow will be nervous and scared, and will run away.
    Why would anything be scared and try run away? Because they have immediate fear. They're capable of plenty of emotions. Jealousy, and love and fear.

And they can be cantankerous bast*rds as well :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,279 ✭✭✭✭endacl

non-vegan breakfast and lunches :)

Same. Much of my diet would qualify as vegan. Except for the rashers.

Advertisement