Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there ever a whole sunny day in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

its not called the Emerald Isle for nothing! Did you notice all those green fields below you as you were flying in?
    The fact that the Irish are known to be red haired and fair of skin?

Still, you always have options if you don't like it here and despite your "incentives", you only have one life, so go be happy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

You can attribute the Irish character in large part to the climate here, I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

By the way, no this is not "Typical Irish Summer", that remark is alot to do with the humorous pessimism common in Irish culture. The sunshine this week is far below normal, don't think this is normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

its not called the Emerald Isle for nothing! Did you notice all those green fields below you as you were flying in?
    The fact that the Irish are known to be red haired and fair of skin?

Still, you always have options if you don't like it here and despite your "incentives", you only have one life, so go be happy!!!

thank you! I was in doubt but after reading this I am now free!

MJohnston wrote: »
    You can attribute the Irish character in large part to the climate here, I would guess.

what is that character? grey and unstable?

• Advertisement

armabelle wrote: »
    what is that character? grey and unstable?

Irish people are largely one of the more sociable and friendly societies on Earth. We generally also enjoy the pub. What's that got to do with the weather? Here's my chain of thought.

Cold and wet weather is common in most months but the summer months.
    Strong need to keep a warm house.
    Why waste your money heating just yourself?
    Invite lots of neighbours around and share the burden of heating.
    Build pubs so that people can congregate together (indoors of course) with communal heating.

Simplistic reasoning, but I suspect our social and friendly character has a lot to do with our weather. Scots, Nordics, Icelanders, Canadians, they're all much the same.

Of course, this doesn't really explain English people, but I suppose there always has to be an exception to every rule ;)

Irish people are largely one of the more sociable and friendly societies on Earth. We generally also enjoy the pub. What's that got to do with the weather? Here's my chain of thought.

Build pubs so that people can congregate together (indoors of course) with communal heating.

Simplistic reasoning, but I suspect our social and friendly character has a lot to do with our weather. Scots, Nordics, Icelanders, Canadians, they're all much the same.

Of course, this doesn't really explain English people, but I suppose there always has to be an exception to every rule ;)

So you go to the pub to save on heating?

So you go to the pub to save on heating?

Maybe some do, I'm calling this a historical thing though

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Matt Markinson

doolox wrote: »

Whisky in Ireland and Scotland is known as the water of life as it was considered a lifesaver in the days before decent housing and central heating. The russians with their even more appalling climate have a similar calamatous relationship with alcohol due to the need to keep warm by any means possible.

Alcohol lowers the body temperature.
    For whatever reason a culture turns to alcohol, it's not to keep warm.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    By the way, no this is not "Typical Irish Summer", that remark is alot to do with the humorous pessimism common in Irish culture. The sunshine this week is far below normal, don't think this is normal.

I still have faith!:D

• Advertisement

Alcohol lowers the body temperature.
    For whatever reason a culture turns to alcohol, it's not to keep warm.

Yeah I say so too

you know in russia I think it is colder but isnt it sunnier?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

well I have heard mixed things... some people say what you say then others say that it does rain a lot but you do get nice weather too. I am giving it a test run this year. If it really is like this then as much as we like Ireland, it just isn't possible to live here. Sunshine is everything to us and it keeps us healthy and smiling so we can't live without it.

You will often get ppl being quite optimistic. But that's who we are. Ie say if we are lucky we might get another so ot 2 of this during the summer. Then most of it will be like the recent days. Showery and overcast but still warm keeping in the high teens.

September you can be guaranteed some good weather. You can always be sure of good weather 2 times a year. When the junior and leaving cert start in June, and when the kids go back to school in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Hate this. The outlook on the daily weather thread has changed tack in just one day. Instead of optimistic warm weather for this coming weekend, it is now back to usual shite June weather. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭regi3457

Irish, swedes, Germans and most northern European cultures are "colder" more distant than Latin European, Latin America and even African cultures in general. I have lived in 6 countries and travelled to over 50 and can assure you that Irish people can be rather miserable. Smile too hard and the look you might get is: "well what the F@#$@ are you so happy about? They are good people with integrity and honesty but they can be rather miserable. If you are talking about solely in the pub then yeah they are the happiest people on earth

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Matt Markinson

regi3457 wrote: »
    They are good people with integrity and honesty but they can be rather miserable.

Not according to the Irish motor insurance industry, we're all happy to be crooks according to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭regi3457

Not according to the Irish motor insurance industry, we're all happy to be crooks according to them.

that is because there is a conflict of interest

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

2013 was a Summer of many whole sunny days, more especially in July and early June whilst there was an absence of them during August unfortunately. However, despite all the sun, the real talk of Summer 2013 was the heat. In this attachment, you can see how many days my station Grange recorded above its average daily temperature for each Summer day of 2013 and by how warm they were compared to normal. The blue line represents the average whilst the red line represents the actual values of Summer 2013. The mean temperature for anyone who doesn't know is worked out by maximum and minimum temperature added together divided by 2. I will try and work on a sunshine graph so you can see how many whole sunny days there were in that Summer.

Okay here's the sunshine graph of Summer 2013. Is this what you want Armabelle?

Summer 2010 was another brilliant Summer for sunshine at Grange here.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Okay here's the sunshine graph of Summer 2013. Is this what you want Armabelle?

Yes... give it to me!!

• Advertisement

Yes... give it to me!!

We can all dream for a month like July 2013 again! Here's the Met Éireann weather bulletin on that month

http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-2013-Jul.pdf

You can see by the headline that it was a great month "Extremely warm and sunny with variable rainfall". It was the sunniest month on record in places.

had a lovely 11 minutes of uninterrupted sunshine this morning...was fantastic

any predictions for another 11 minutes sometime in june/july?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

11 minutes? :eek:

I am jealous. :mad:

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Summer 2010 was another brilliant Summer for sunshine at Grange here.

yes 2010 and 1951 too if I remember correctly

yes 2010 and 1951 too if I remember correctly

1951 was very average, it was meh.

joujoujou wrote: »
    11 minutes? :eek:

I am jealous. :mad:

you should be, I am almost fully tanned now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I'm even more jealous.

Another July without a whole sunny day, maybe 2017 will give it to us.

OSI wrote: »
    We've had plenty of whole sunny days this month.... :confused:

No we haven't. A whole sunny day in July = 16 hours of sunshine, there has been no day this month with 16 hours of sunshine at any station. And when we define a whole sunny day in Ireland, we mean not a single cloud anywhere around the country and this is as rare as snowfall, perhaps even rarer.

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    We've had plenty of whole sunny days this month.... :confused:

No we haven't, we had only one Sunday where it was sunny from 11 am through to evening, this was a day I really enjoyed. This was a special day. Can you call it a whole sunny day? No. But it was nice though!

Advertisement