Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Not in GLAS myself but those of you in it,would the messing with payments/bps etc put you off rejoining?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

grassroot1 wrote: »
    No in GLAS myself but those of you in it,would the messing with payments/bps etc put you off rejoining?

No, I put in a variety of stuff the first year, bird/ bat boxes, 2 bee habitats , bit of work the first year but overall I do nothing different to my land as a glas participant but I’d be a long time putting 5k together on livestock

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

grassroot1 wrote: »
    No in GLAS myself but those of you in it,would the messing with payments/bps etc put you off rejoining?

It's not as good as REPS was, but as Sonny says most of the work is in the first year, and 5k is a nice chunk of money on a drystock farm. So if there is another GLAS option I'd go for it again.

There's a few odd loopholes eg. if you're organic you don't get paid for LIPP and hay meadow as well. Or if you put bird cover on ANC I think you lose the ANC payment because bird cover is a tillage crop:(.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Looking for some advice
    Hope to do the WBC this week as ground has dried.
    There is a bit of rush in places 4-6” high
    I was intending to use pin harrow & sow
    Would there be any problems with oat & mustard seed uptake?

Or Should I spray off & put off harrowing until next week?

What would you do?
    We plough the wbc every year and get our slurry contractor in to power harrow it before seeding. When you say pin harrow it do you mean just running the pin harrow over it to scrape open the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Base price wrote: »
    We plough the wbc every year and get our slurry contractor in to power harrow it before seeding. When you say pin harrow it do you mean just running the pin harrow over it to scrape open the ground?

Yes was going to give a few runs

Chatting a guy recently who has reseeding similar land, spray off, few runs with pin harrow then seed which has worked well.
    Used disk harrow up till now as hard to get anyone to plough as fields are too small or are too busy

• Advertisement

Yes was going to give a few runs

Chatting a guy recently who has reseeding similar land, spray off, few runs with pin harrow then seed which has worked well.
    Used disk harrow up till now as hard to get anyone to plough as fields are too small or are too busy
    I think that spraying beforehand is the key to your friends success. In your case it really depends on how many rushes are present in the wbc area.

If you have success with a disk harrow in the past why change to a pin harrow now.

TBH I wouldn't feck around with sowing WBC cause its one of the highest paid actions @ €900/ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Sowed last year by reddening the field with a triple K harrow, and then broadcast the seed & fertiliser.

Came good enough, was hard on the harrow though, as the ground was savage hard with the drought.

Lot of trash too, there was an amount of stuff on the headlands, that was pulled out by the harrow. This might have been that the field wasnt grazed hard enough beforehand, but hard to see 12 months worth of growth all being eaten too...

Was hard enough going with the triple K at times, I don’t know if a pin harrow would do it?
    Ground would want to be very clean, and soft...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I think that spraying beforehand is the key to your friends success. In your case it really depends on how many rushes are present in the wbc area.

If you have success with a disk harrow in the past why change to a pin harrow now.

TBH I wouldn't feck around with sowing WBC cause its one of the highest paid actions @ €900/ha.
    It broke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Happy days! Just seen on agfood that the last wee bit of GLAS money was paid today!

Are ye all gone to check now???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Sami23

KatyMac wrote: »
    Happy days! Just seen on agfood that the last wee bit of GLAS money was paid today!

Yeah seen it up yesterday alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

KatyMac wrote: »

Nice time of year to get a small touch of money !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,173 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Brought forward payment a bit, well there are elections in a few weeks.
    As you say, a nice bit this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Got it here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Got the remaining Glas money alright but no sign of the remaining glas+ money. Anyone any idea of when that will be along?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

How much came ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

lab man wrote: »
    How much came ?

The remaining 15% from glas. So it'll depend on the value of your measures

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

What herbicide are people using to spot spray ragwort in LIPP?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭endainoz

Hadn't heard of spot spraying rag wort before. Surely pulling would be a bit more in line with GLAS?

endainoz wrote:
    Hadn't heard of spot spraying rag wort before. Surely pulling would be a bit more in line with GLAS?

Pulling would be the other option but I was hoping to be a bit more proactive and try to nip it in the bud. Spot spraying is allowed for weed control, just no boom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭endainoz

PoorFarmer wrote:
    Pulling would be the other option but I was hoping to be a bit more proactive and try to nip it in the bud. Spot spraying is allowed for weed control, just no boom

Yeah but I haven't heard of a specific knapsack spray to use for ragwort. Maybe I'm wrong with that one. Can't spray anymore but when I did, it was just for rushes and sparying off for WBC. I remember asking my contractor about spraying ragwort alright but he said it needed to be done in the spring? So that obviously rules out spot spraying. And even if you do spot spray with something like round up, no animals would be able to be let near it till they rot away completely or have them pulled as they are rotting. Kinda begs the question though, if you did that, why not just pull them in the first place?

• Advertisement

Well the field is grazed off and wont see cattle again for 3 weeks or more. Ragwort is mostly at the rosette stage, too short for pulling but ideal for spraying. Was hoping if I could get rid of most of what's there it would be dead and rotted by the next grazing

Might try make some type of wiper for the end of the knapsack lance and give them glyphosate.

Have it eradicated except for 2 LIPP fields, spent hours every evening pulling it last year and I dont want to have a repeat :-)

Ragwort is extremely slow to die off after spraying, 6 weeks IWT. I don't think it takes the spray down to the roots at this active growing time of the year, counter to most other weeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭50HX

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    What herbicide are people using to spot spray ragwort in LIPP?

Lupo, 100mls to 10 litre of water

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Sowed last year by reddening the field with a triple K harrow, and then broadcast the seed & fertiliser.

Came good enough, was hard on the harrow though, as the ground was savage hard with the drought.

Lot of trash too, there was an amount of stuff on the headlands, that was pulled out by the harrow. This might have been that the field wasnt grazed hard enough beforehand, but hard to see 12 months worth of growth all being eaten too...

Was hard enough going with the triple K at times, I don’t know if a pin harrow would do it?
    Ground would want to be very clean, and soft...

At the WBC today, again with the harrow - ground is fierce dry and hard again, tough going... :(

endainoz wrote:

Started into pulling them this weekend. 12 fertiliser bags later have about an acre cleared. 4.5 to go :-(

Use a pike to prise them loose, a little easier on the back. Been there, done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

looked at my wild bird cover which I sowed the May bank holiday weekend and its full of weeds

I know I cant spray now what are my options - sowed Kale and oats - chances are that kale will grow but oats not looking great

Tomjim wrote: »
    looked at my wild bird cover which I sowed the May bank holiday weekend and its full of weeds

I know I cant spray now what are my options - sowed Kale and oats - chances are that kale will grow but oats not looking great
    Is it so bad that you would be penalised if you had an inspection?
    Mulching mower on the oats, plough and reseed.

We had to abandon ploughing the WBC last Sunday am when the rain arrived. The forecast for the next week isn't good either with more rain due.

Do I phone DAFM on Monday and tell them that we haven't sowed before the end date or do I wing it and wait for the weather to improve :confused:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

We had to abandon ploughing the WBC last Sunday am when the rain arrived. The forecast for the next week isn't good either with more rain due.

Do I phone DAFM on Monday and tell them that we haven't sowed before the end date or do I wing it and wait for the weather to improve :confused:.

I sowed last year In the last week of July, it was either then or not at all. Waiting for rain, like sowing in the Sahara, it still did alright, the toughness of new seed often surprises.

Nothing said and nothing asked.

Advertisement