Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Partridge Superthread - Sponsored by Dettol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ive really enjoyed it. Partridge can be hit and miss anyway but some great bits in this series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭dasdog

With low hopes I watched it with a couple of beers on board last night and pissed myself laughing throughout. Watched an episode of Yes Minister afterwards to benchmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

It’s not 5/5 but it has great moments in every episode.... how do I get my hands on the oat house ?

Maybe I am hungover but I genuinely got emotional from watching the bond he formed with that robot dog/ unit 1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

That last episode was magnificent. I laughed like a drain from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,877 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah last night salvaged it for me, that was absolutely hilarious. Pompous Shakespearean Alan talking to the heir to the throne (if theres a terrible accident), Simons prank (that he was too scared to admit to so got Lynn to do it), blackface on the yacht, the robot dog, punching Simon, it was back at its best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Steve Coogan paid a tribute at the end to his nephew who die earlier this year

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/06/05/will-coogan-alan-partridge/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I think Alan has done terrific work on This Time,

He has really made that seat his own - if you asked most people about John Baskell now, their reaction would be "Who's John Baskell?"

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

I think it will be renewed.
    Jenny is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I enjoyed that season. Few bum notes here and there but the subtleties were fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

If I may be so bold, ma’am. I believe we have an associate in common, ergh, Roger Stubbs, he supplies the Land Rovers to your estate. And I believe you were kind enough to provide refreshments on the occasion of his birthday.

One hopes the, erm, scurrilous charges that weigh heavy upon his good name come to a speedy, just resolve.

No, ma’am, he battered a man in a pub toilet. A most regrettable occurrence… although by all accounts the chap who took the hiding was giving it that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Laughed heartily when he left the studio and ran out into the street to try and get people to shout from their windows, and somebody shouted ‘A-ha!’ :D

‘F***ing idiot.’

That was brilliant.

I've enjoyed the series. I hope there will be more.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    I think it will be renewed.
    Jenny is brilliant.

I don’t think it can be the way it finished , he’s gone again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I don’t think it can be the way it finished , he’s gone again

He may re-invent himself as some man against the system/polemical shock jock type. There is definitely a potential smell my cheese moment in future series negotiations.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I enjoyed that season. Few bum notes here and there but the subtleties were fantastic.

esp from the guy reading from the book:P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,877 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The Accidental Partridge account has been shut down apparently :(

https://twitter.com/AccidentalP/status/1390986786587955205

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Thargor wrote: »

Yeah, he was given an order to stop selling merch based on Partridge, so I think he said it wasn't worth the effort any more. Real shame, was one of the best Twitter accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,439 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah, he was given an order to stop selling merch based on Partridge, so I think he said it wasn't worth the effort any more. Real shame, was one of the best Twitter accounts.

Maybe he decided he couldn't compete with real life.

https://twitter.com/ScottRuth/status/1405057516548075521

• Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Anyone get his very subtle Jimmy Saville reference/imitation (or not so subtle if you grew up with Jim’ll fix it) few weeks ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

That oasthouse really gets stuck in the head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

That oasthouse really gets stuck in the head

I've gotten into an unhealthy habit of putting on episode 16 of From the Oasthouse every time I have a bath or shave and shower. It's the one where Alan spends a day in a spa to help him deal with the stress of having an online troll.

A fellow guest drops her keycard and Alan chivalrously offers to pick it up, warning the woman that she doesn't want to bend over when the robes are that short, not in front of a chap anyways. He then promptly does what he warned her not to do :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sakana

Thargor wrote: »

Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭joeguevara

everlast75 wrote: »

As long as they don’t change the script to anything as cringe as US in betweeners did. https://youtu.be/zN1Br6QVCzs

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Penn wrote: »
    I dunno. I think Alan does work great when there's a mix of successes and failures. The idea that he manages to get back on the BBC through sheer luck more than anything but manages to keep his foot in the door just enough to keep his position, yet constantly trips over himself for the pettiest reasons and is constantly on the verge of getting knocked so far down again imo makes for a more interesting scenario than just falling further and further down the ladder into complete obscurity.

Exactly, the fact that he keeps getting *almost* near success gives the series some actual stakes. If he just fell down a constant spiral of failure it would become very predictable. But instead he keeps getting handed opportunities on a plate but he ends up sabotaging himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Alan.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

'ballcock is a good word isn't........it's like a 2 in 1 word'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Anyone at partridge in the 3 arena last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Indeed. For those who are...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I went. Was ok, some good bits. I find him hit or miss a lot of them time so about as expected. Martin Brennan was the highlight.

• Advertisement

Advertisement