Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Partridge Superthread - Sponsored by Dettol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

D.Q wrote: »
    We need to talk about Alan audiobook is absolutely peak partridge. Could not believe how consistently good that was all the way through.

mid morning matters in second.

IAP in third.

I think they peaked with I, Partridge, an absolute genius piece of comedy. Downhill ever since and now we are scrapping the barrel with This Time. I think Coogan is to blame - he has kept the Gibbons bros around for too long. Before them there was a regular changing of writing personnel - Patrick Marber, Peter Baynham, Iannucci all before the Gibbons - but now it's getting stale. There is also too much of Alan talking to camera and not interacting with good comedy characters like Dave Clifton, Lynn, Simon, Michael etc. The female host contributes nothing and is totally out of place. Not her fault though: bad premise and writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Skid X wrote: »
    I don't think Alan Partridge gets nearly enough credit for having Joe Beesley and Cheeky Monkey on his final KMKYWAP show.

He was honouring a commitment he gave in Bournemouth 15 years earlier that if he ever made it big he would give Joe and Cheeky Monkey their chance on Television.

Very few people would have remembered that pledge and even fewer would have seen it through.

A man of honour.

And yet somehow when people remember that episode it tends to be for the unfortunate incident where Alan accidentally tragically shot Forbes McAllister dead with Lord Byron's duelling pistol. I mean, Alan didn't know the gun was loaded and Forbes was a complete and utter sh1t anyway.

Joe Beesley is trying to rewrite history tonight, as I wrote above in 2018 he was nothing before Alan gave him his break on KMKYWAP

He had his issues after that appearance but they were all of his own making. Then he comes on and assaults Alan on This Time.

Abbadabbadoo !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Not feeling the love for season 2 of This Time - few funny moments but pretty flat throughout and the stupid camera angles and out of focus do nothing for me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I saw a post on Facebook advertising a product for keeping food from touching other items on the plate. Madness. A simple sausage can act as a breakwater between the egg and beans.

https://youtu.be/eypZnajNdmQ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I think they peaked with I, Partridge, an absolute genius piece of comedy. Downhill ever since and now we are scrapping the barrel with This Time. I think Coogan is to blame - he has kept the Gibbons bros around for too long. Before them there was a regular changing of writing personnel - Patrick Marber, Peter Baynham, Iannucci all before the Gibbons - but now it's getting stale. There is also too much of Alan talking to camera and not interacting with good comedy characters like Dave Clifton, Lynn, Simon, Michael etc. The female host contributes nothing and is totally out of place. Not her fault though: bad premise and writing.

This Time is a different premise to other shows, they were mostly fly on the wall docus...........we now see Partridge try adapt to mainstream tv and fail miserably, it's still excellent comedy

• Advertisement

sonofenoch wrote: »
    This Time is a different premise to other shows, they were mostly fly on the wall docus...........we now see Partridge try adapt to mainstream tv and fail miserably, it's still excellent comedy

Well I didn't laugh at anything much this week, same as last week, and if it doesn't make me laugh then there's something wrong somewhere. This from someone who thought everything up to and including Mid-Morning Matters series 1 and the 1st book were all gold standard Partridge. Alan is my favourite comedy character of all time, and it's sad to see him dying like this.

Cheeky monkey was wasted last night. IMO it would have been a lot funnier to have Joe come on talking about how he hit rock bottom but bounced back to create a successful business; he's now a millionaire with a hot young wife and a family that loves him (maybe even show them in the audience). Alan is perturbed by all this, and reveals that he took Cheeky Monkey home that night Joe tossed him away. Alan tries to get them to reunite, but Joe is jokingly having none of it, but a jealous, vindictive Alan keeps pushing until Joe snaps ("don't touch me!") and grabs Cheeky Monkey off of him, giving Alan a chance to use his line again "you've got a lot of problems!". Joe walks off, with Alan smirking that he has gotten to him "I knew it was all a front!"

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

Very different vibe off this version of AP, bit creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ramasun wrote: »
    Very different vibe off this version of AP, bit creepy.

There is a real meanness to Alan this time around. I know he has always been mean but he was usually funny with and the joke ended up being on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

dat was epic. very close to martin brennan. woke baby cretin up laughing..

I enjoyed that one. Wasn't expecting it after last weeks effort.

From Nomad, Alan's interaction with his swimming nemesis, the pensioner Dawn, is well worth a listen :pac: ("you've got a welly on")

5:51:36 - 5:53:05

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

They’ve really killed Simon awful segments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Really good episode i thought.

Really laughed when he had to spend a night behind bars.

I didnt fancy staying in a man's prison. I didnt get a reply from the women's prison so im spending the night in borstal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

very reluctant to give up his driving gloves

• Registered Users Posts: 17,877 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

It has its dud parts that you just didnt get in the other AP series but I dont think theres any other comedy that can make me p1ss myself laughing like Alan does. The bit in his cell where he was losing his mind and he designed that ranking system for kitchen utensils... "Its fair, tamperproof and great for your mental health!" :D

Also in the prison when he was talking about how ITV was formed and the prisoner beside him said "What the fcuk are you talking about?"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

only Alan would find a old copy of the TV Times interesting reading

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

The new make up woman is one to watch, definite sexual harassment vibes coming off her .....there's a dungeon somewhere with Alan's name on it :D

sonofenoch wrote: »
    The new make up woman is one to watch, definite sexual harassment vibes coming off her .....there's a dungeon somewhere with Alan's name on it :D

The actress is in What we do in the Shadows, the lead female vampire. Very funny actress. Hope they give her more to do (especially if she pulls a strap-on on Alan :pac:)

The actress is in What we do in the Shadows, the lead female vampire. Very funny actress. Hope they give her more to do (especially if she pulls a strap-on on Alan :pac:)

Wow I didn’t know that, she’s amazing in shadows

Wow I didn’t know that she’s amazing in shadows

Yeah, she's great in it. They didn't show her face in Partridge yet, but she's in the credits.

Tommy Gaskell is a legend :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Not the best of weeks for an Israel/Palestine joke.... Very Partridge-esque timing

Also was it just me or did it look like Alan and the journalist (Matt Smith) were reading off autocues or something (I mean the actors rather than in character or in the context of the show). Alan/Steve especially looked like he was looking off to the side of Matt Smith rather than looking at him.

Simons applause:)

Think we might have a hr issue now with Jenny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

The Navy Seals like to applaud themselves........just like real seals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭archfi

The Guradian takedown was excellent :)

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Thought last night's episode was great.

The make up lady looking for money for the rent.
    The SAS piece.
    Alan trying to open the cocktail shaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,760 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

We know Eagles dare...but does a Partridge? :D

Tommy Gaskells previous sas appearance on mmm is one of my favourite episodes ever

Slice the throat til it flaps like a muppets mouth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Tommy Gaskells previous sas appearance on mmm is one of my favourite episodes ever

Slice the throat til it flaps like a muppets mouth :)

Sophie: Did they get better?
    Alan (to Tommy): Did they get better?
    Tommy: ...We cleared the cave.
    Alan: No. No one survived, Sophie. He cleared the cave.

Penn wrote: »
    Sophie: Did they get better?
    Alan (to Tommy): Did they get better?
    Tommy: ...We cleared the cave.
    Alan: No. No one survived, Sophie. He cleared the cave.
    Alans sympathetic voice 😂😂

• Advertisement

Alan and marky whalberg have similar wine tolerance:) Alan was a mess

Advertisement