Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alan Partridge Superthread - Sponsored by Dettol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Diarmuid73

It was a good laugh overall, few bits were really good and a couple of soso bits

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I think you’re being very kind here.

I tried so hard to find this funny but so many gags fell flat more than the odd funny parts. I had wondered how the new partridge would work on stage, but feel it’s of a different era now. Bear in mind I was driving so was sober, maybe that made a difference…

would have been happier to spend my money and time on a half decent stand up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Terrible venue for comedy anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

It's definitely not old school Partridge, but there were some great gags. Unfortunately more misses than hits.

Spoilers below

Best parts were the Martin Brennan segment, the chair-man gag and the final silhouette video.

Worst part by far was the onstage appearances of the "crowd member" from Wigan. I was very tempted to leave at that part.

It ends very abruptly too. Also, bit of a stage malfunction/screw up during the final number tonight which he seemed fairly annoyed about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,974 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Really really enjoyed it.

Some flat points, some outright bizzare points but had me in stitches at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Found it fairly disappointing. The recorded parts needed perfect timing and in the first half of the show the timing was off.

The 80s medley at the end was ok. Martin Brennan piece was good.

I have gone to a few comedy shows put on stage and they have not translated. I have not seen league of gentlemen live, but I think that would be the only exception I will make in future (if they tour again)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭griffin100

I agree it was only ok - some of the jokes were very flat but there were some good parts. It wasn't Partridge enough for me, if that makes sense - the character on stage could have been anyone, he wasn't as obnoxious or as cringeworthy as Partridge usually is. That said my wife loved it and she's not as much of a fan as I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Did he say anything offensive about Ireland or the Irish?? Bombs? Toothless Simpletons? Horses in housing estates?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,734 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

I didn't really find much of it "laugh out loud"... I'd rate it about 6/10 because I'm a fan of Partridge, but it was really just "okay".

I'd have expected Alan, performing in Dublin, to have had some Dublin/Ireland-specific bits, but it seemed a carbon copy of the UK shows. If the "audience member" had have been Irish, that would have been good. Overall, felt it lacked dynamism.

Enjoyed the Bond references, though: the preshow music and the silhouettes (especially with the mickey!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭A-Train

Agree with your post. The audience member thing really killed it for me, it was terrible and came across as absolutely no understanding of being in another country which I'm surprised by with Coogan's knowledge of the country. I think it was the accent was so jarring.

Overall with was ok, a bit surreal seeing Partridge on stage.

Martin Brennan and the chair segment were great.

'the crowd member from Wigan' ???

you mean this guy??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Unfortunately not.

It was a loud, shouty girl from Wigan who I think was meant to be drunk - I assume there's some sort of stereotype she was playing up to, but again that's a very UK-specific joke that I'm not familiar with. I guess something similar to an Essex girl?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

That's Ted from Newcastle. He's in Coronation Street now!

As a Alan fan i was kickin myself i didn't go, but reading the above comments seems like i didn't miss much...maybe Steve has too much on his plate at the moment and isn't fully committed to a live tour?😶

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I enjoyed it, plenty in it to laugh at.

Some dud parts of course, as mentioned alot bringing that 'drunk' girl on stage was an epic fail

The P&O Ferries and Bet365 stuff was good

Overall I'd say solid enough 7.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

I enjoyed it but there's a lot of it that didn't work for me, the dance numbers, the "audience member", the self help woman.

The time travel bit felt very like the I Partridge audiobook, and the references to Seldom as well meant it was very much Oasthouse Partridge than anything else.

I think the concept of the show being failed on the failed relationship was really thin - I had thought that the concept of the show would have been based on another "bouncing back" after exiting the BBC, effectively Alan's guide to navigating the media world.

I loved the Martin Brennan bit, but I wonder is that character as popular with UK audiences.

I would have been happier to sit in the 3 arena with thousands of other partridge fans watching season 2 of I’m Alan partridge. Directors on tap followed by a cup of beans (it’s like a savoury 99)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Advertisement

Second series of From The Oasthouse coming in September. Cashback!

I liked the first one. It was better than This Time, but still not the best of Partridge. Hopefully this will be an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

I can see it being more of the same, anything done by the Gibbons tends to be grand, but not earth shattering.

I do think the podcast format suits them better, they are better at writing Alan monologues than Alan actually doing anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

This is amazing news. I absolutely loved the first season. Funniest Partridge in years in my opinion.

I agree with you to an extent about the Gibbons brothers but overall I blame Coogan for the downturn in quality. He pretty much took over the character by freezing out Armando Iannucci/Peter Baynham, who were working on other things, and brought in some junior partners to help him write and consolidate ownership. The Gibbons are responsible for two of my favourite Alan outputs: I,Partridge and Mid Morning Matters (season 1 ; season 2 was muck) but it feels now like we are watching a very self-indulgent Coogan playing Partridge. Patrick Marber wrote KMKY with Coogan and Iannucci, and Baynham worked with them for 5-6 years: the Gibbons have worked on Alan for 12 years with diminishing returns. It's time for an injection of new blood/ideas or else get some of the old crew back. Or maybe it's just that they are all a bit older and don't have their finger on the pulse like they used to.

God, I wish I cared as much about my own life as I do about Alan! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dom40

Just seen stratagem in leeds last week,i found it a bit hit and miss,more miss than hit actually.Martin Brennan probably the highlight of the night,not sure if the locals really knew what were sayin at all.

Googling reviews of the stratagem show doesn’t make for pleasant reading unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭De Bhál

"Today's question, which is, how often you should wash your towels?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

As long as Eamonn Holmes isn't there, or you'd have to watch the sandwiches.

Advertisement