Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Partridge Superthread - Sponsored by Dettol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i'm here coz i received an alert quoting an amusing alan partridge line and i thought id pay homage with "like"

but reading through the thread .....man every post is hilarious :):)

(except this one obviously)

I really enjoyed the Mid morning matters

this was my favourite one i think..
    “Did that man hurt the muppets?,” asks the child caller. “No love he didn’t hurt any muppets, he simply dispatched some terrorists from a radicalised RSPB in Wookey Hole. It was simply when he slit the throats of the bad people they resembled the mouths of muppets.”

mowwwwwwwwths :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Did the man hurt the muppets?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Did the man hurt the muppets?

That SAS guy was one of terrorists in 4 lions too. Funny guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Who invented the skip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭.red.

Big Vern wrote: »
    Who invented the skip?

I don't care who invented the skip, I think your way out of order!

.red. wrote: »
    I don't care who invented the skip, I think your way out of order!

Bobby Moore!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,354 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Well Sonia that was classic intercourse *pulls up fly*

So, Thanks. OK. Let’s just pop the extractor fan on, get a through draught going

Fire! Fire! The fair’s on fire!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Clydesdale horse. 12 hands high. Hands of course, the ancient system for measuring horses that’s been around since medieval times. Of course, tape measures in those days were viewed with suspicion. Anyone who could unfurl 15 feet of thin sheet metal from a pocket-sized box, would have been killed as a witch. It’s tragic to think that girls, some as young as the ones holding balloons over there, would have been burnt at the stake. May god have mercy on their souls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Lynn, I was at a friend’s house the other night. I was trying to make a phonecall, I thought there was something wrong with the phone. I’d been hitting ‘9’, Lynn! I felt like a… ruddy idiot! I just left, I couldn’t stay there after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

That SAS guy was one of terrorists in 4 lions too. Funny guy.
    He was also in I'm Alan Partridge as one of Dan's weird friends that Alan meets at the Norfolk Bravery Awards!

Just thought of this one today, and had to see it!

The first 15 seconds :pac:

My fav line ever from Partridge is "Roy, would you eat men?" when discussing cannabilism with a caller. His facial expression when asking it...:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Yeah, you're a rotten sh1t too, get your coat.

"the milky bars are on me" :pac::pac::pac:

I love Partridge, probably more than any other comedy character, but I am not optimistic about the new show. I thought Mid Morning Matters series 2, and the subsequent special Alan Partridge's Scissored Isle, were very poor: the only time that I thought Partridge was not funny, and actually was very annoying. I remember watching them and not laughing once: I was in shock. I love Mid Morning Matters series 1, and I, Partridge is probably my favourite thing Partridge has ever done (I have cried with laughter hundreds of times listening to the audiobook of it), but it just looks like they are retreading old ground, which they never used to do with Alan: they would change Alan's environment, introduce new characters, and it always felt fresh. MMM2 felt very samey, and they even brought back Sidekick Simon after Alan had sacked him: it would have been much funnier to have Simon as a rival DJ to Alan, and Alan being all bitter about it! Clearly the Gibbons brothers are very talented and love Alan, but I think they are missing Armando Iannucci now. He always said he loathed Alan whereas I think Coogan has developed affection for Alan and that's why he's not as funny. I don't want Alan to be happy, or successful: I want him to be funny!

I think it will be a case of waiting to see what it will be like.

Im looking forward to it, just happy to have new Partridge. In the past i have greatly anticipated new Partridge, maybe building and hyping it up a bit too much, then i was left a little disappointed.

So will hopefully enjoy this new series. Dont think they will ever recapture those early series, for me anyway, as it was something new and fresh and a type of comedy never id seen before. You can never go back to the first time you seen something unfortunately!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,411 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Big Vern wrote: »

It’s about time Alan got his ice pick out once more and scaled the north face of Chat-mandu.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I love Partridge, probably more than any other comedy character, but I am not optimistic about the new show. I thought Mid Morning Matters series 2, and the subsequent special Alan Partridge's Scissored Isle, were very poor: the only time that I thought Partridge was not funny, and actually was very annoying. I remember watching them and not laughing once: I was in shock. I love Mid Morning Matters series 1, and I, Partridge is probably my favourite thing Partridge has ever done (I have cried with laughter hundreds of times listening to the audiobook of it), but it just looks like they are retreading old ground, which they never used to do with Alan: they would change Alan's environment, introduce new characters, and it always felt fresh. MMM2 felt very samey, and they even brought back Sidekick Simon after Alan had sacked him: it would have been much funnier to have Simon as a rival DJ to Alan, and Alan being all bitter about it! Clearly the Gibbons brothers are very talented and love Alan, but I think they are missing Armando Iannucci now. He always said he loathed Alan whereas I think Coogan has developed affection for Alan and that's why he's not as funny. I don't want Alan to be happy, or successful: I want him to be funny!
    I rarely laugh out loud when I watch comedy on my own but I couldn't breath watching some of the scenes in Scissored Isle, his interview with the mayor of Liverpool that they had to redub when he was coming down from nibbling the edge of an E with those kids is probably my favourite Partridge scene of all time.

Mid Morning Matters is all solid gold aswell, Alan's radio play with the Land Rover product placement, Sidekick Simon telling him the tax man had rang looking for him etc, nothing wrong with them at all, classic Partridge intercouse.

Thargor wrote: »
    I rarely laugh out loud when I watch comedy on my own but I couldn't breath watching some of the scenes in Scissored Isle, his interview with the mayor of Liverpool that they had to redub when he was coming down from nibbling the edge of an E with those kids is probably my favourite Partridge scene of all time.

Mid Morning Matters is all solid gold aswell, Alan's radio play with the Land Rover product placement, Sidekick Simon telling him the tax man had rang looking for him etc, nothing wrong with them at all, classic Partridge intercouse.

That was brilliant, i had forgotten that scene! I must look at it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Thargor wrote: »
    his interview with the mayor of Liverpool that they had to redub when he was coming down from nibbling the edge of an E with those kids is probably my favourite Partridge scene of all time.

An ecstasy pellet! :p I thought Scissored Isle was the best of the recent Partridge. Any time there's reference to 9/11 in the media I cannot help but think of "The 9/11 debacle" and chuckle away to myself. :D

The only thing I felt slightly let down by was the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The only thing I felt slightly let down by was the movie.

I thought the movie was great - I was worried it would be dumbed down for a wider audience, but apart from Alan's image (they definitely made him less grotesque than on TV) it was like an extended episode of IAP. Cashback!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

loyatemu wrote: »
    I thought the movie was great - I was worried it would be dumbed down for a wider audience, but apart from Alan's image (they definitely made him less grotesque than on TV) it was like an extended episode of IAP. Cashback!

It's due a rewatch in fairness. I've only seen it the once. Everything else has been watched multiple times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I did laugh at MMMs but I found it hard to see Alan as classic Alan. You could tell it was new writers. The movie followed a similar vein. I enjoyed Scissored Isle and agree it was the best of the new Alan incarnation (the fishing rod story at the skip). I am wary of this new show; I will lower my expectations in the hope I give the show a fair chance and not critisise it for not hitting the dizzy heights of classic Alan.

Well maybe it's just me that didn't like MMM 2 and Scissored Isle but it felt very much like Alan by numbers to me. Uninspired and repetitive. Even Nomad, the follow up to I, Partridge was repetitive. I think it could only be a good thing to get Iannucci back involved, to freshen up Alan, but he probably has moved on from Partridge.

The only time I laughed in MMM2 was when Sidekick Simon mentioned Fred West, and Alan paused, and exasperatedly said "that man" :pac: Now that is classic Alan!

BTW if any Alan fan hasn't heard the audiobook of I,Partridge, read by Coogan, get it now. It's the greatest thing ever: 7+ hours of pure unadulterated Alan!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Stop talking about late Partridge things and let's watch the greatest comedy scene ever made

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Stop talking about late Partridge things and let's watch the greatest comedy scene ever made

"I actually booked this room under the name The Real IRA..."

Advertisement