Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most annoying person you worked with

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Most annoying? The person who said they would be afraid to tackle a criminal off duty in case they got hurt or followed home,

You are a Garda!

You are in the wrong job!

I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

SAMTALK wrote: »
    That has got to be the worst thing sitting beside someone in the office!!

We had a girl who would walk around the office barefoot in the summer and the smell of feet UUUUGH

Oh my god!!

Thats so unhygienic!! Who wants her foot fungus!!!

Please tell me ye said something to her?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Faaaar too scared to read this thred in case i recognise myself...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Oh my god!!

Thats so unhygienic!! Who wants her foot fungus!!!

Please tell me ye said something to her?

No we didnt :o
    Its ok I kept my shoes on :)

Disgusting thing to do in the work place and feet curled up under her in the chair all day. Then continously munching on crisps and sweets all day :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

esforum wrote: »
    Most annoying? The person who said they would be afraid to tackle a criminal off duty in case they got hurt or followed home,

You are a Garda!

I

Off topic but, I once worked in a petrol station and it was robbed at knife point on my shift. Turned out there was an off duty Garda in the queue. He followed him out, got in his car and casually followed him off down the road, called his buddies and they were back around half an hour later with the cash.

Well done that man.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

smeal wrote: »
    There's a woman who works alongside me (we'll refer to her as X) who constantly disagrees with everything anyone says or has the opposite opinion of everyone else. Obviously it's fine to have your own opinion but she is a stage 10 moaner at all points of the working day and we reckon she just deliberately disagrees so that she has something else to moan about.. It's soul destroying at times which is why we don't include her in convos anymore but she just butts in with her opposite opinion anyways. Examples:-

Me to Y colleague:- "Made the loveliest curry last night".. X butts in, "Ohh I wouldn't be a fan of curry".

Me to Y colleague:- "Gosh, wrecked today. Hadn't a great sleep last night".. X butts in, "Surprisingly, I had a great sleep last night" and continues to tell us about her sleeping pattern for the past fortnight..

Me to Y girl colleague coming in in the morning in 0 degree weather- "It's freezing out there!".. X butts in, "I actually found it pretty warm"..

Me to Y colleague:-.. "Oh I got great value on chicken fillets in Super Valu the other day".. X butts in, "I just wouldn't be a fan of doing a shop in Super Valu. I prefer Lidl".. But yet, a week later she'll be yapping on about the great deals that were in Super Valu at the weekend.

Her biggest annoyance is over food. Obviously, it's fine to have opinions about different foods but a lot of us in work are big foodies, always testing new recipes and sharing them and I mean EVERYTHING you mention she has an opinion on- "Oh wouldn't be a big fan of that" or "My husband wouldn't eat that you see so I'd never bother making it". I genuinely wonder what she does eat. A while back she was going on a big mope about how she doesn't eat bread, it doesn't agree with her etc. which is fine but last week she claimed to have a stomach ache and was helping herself to a big mountain of toast at break claiming, "it's the only thing I can eat when the stomach isn't great"...... *face palm*

The arch-contradicter is one of the worst **** of all time. Now I'm just callous with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Worked with a bunch of women in an office. The inane chatter made me want to tear out my own eyes. Emmerdale, Corrie, painting the sitting room, my dog is seeing a shrink, getting a new sofa delivered. I sat there waiting for the sweet release of death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Worked with a bunch of women in an office. The inane chatter made me want to tear out my own eyes. Emmerdale, Corrie, painting the sitting room, my dog is seeing a shrink, getting a new sofa delivered. I sat there waiting for the sweet release of death.

Or the inane chatter of men discussing soccer/rugby/gold/GAA....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

I genuinely don't see the annoyance in this case, some people are naturally nervous, big difference between that and bad hygiene or rudeness

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Who's Frank Murray when he's at home?

Angela's husband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Just people talking about their lives?

It's not them, it's you-

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

esforum wrote: »

You are a Garda!

I

A Garda friend of mine did just that - pursued a car carrying people who had just robbed a newsagents while he was off-duty and eventually apprehended them after a tussle and after severely damaging his car. His reward? A car insurance premium 2.5 times what he had been paying. I can't say I'd blame any Guard for remembering when he/she is on a day off and acting accordingly.

As an aside - some right miserable, moany eejits in this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

SAMTALK wrote: »
    Or the inane chatter of men discussing soccer/rugby/gold/GAA....:p

You both have pretty much described office drone life in two posts. I couldnt even handle listening to the constant premiership talk, and I'm a fella who likes soccer to a degree. Sweet release of death indeed!

Off topic but, I once worked in a petrol station and it was robbed at knife point on my shift. Turned out there was an off duty Garda in the queue. He followed him out, got in his car and casually followed him off down the road, called his buddies and they were back around half an hour later with the cash.

Well done that man.

Indeed, well done that man. A credit to the uniform
    WHIP IT! wrote: »
    A Garda friend of mine did just that - pursued a car carrying people who had just robbed a newsagents while he was off-duty and eventually apprehended them after a tussle and after severely damaging his car. His reward? A car insurance premium 2.5 times what he had been paying. I can't say I'd blame any Guard for remembering when he/she is on a day off and acting accordingly.

As an aside - some right miserable, moany eejits in this thread...

The state would pay for the damage to the car as he was in the execution of his duties, yes a **** load of paperwork but chasing armed robbers would be a good reason. A guy breaking a red light? Not so much.

Again, well done that man by the way

slighlty off topic but is it just my job that talks about absolute ****e in work be it football, TV down to the conversation between the wife and neighbour.

Get to a social event? 12 hours of booze and shop talk

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The Collector.

Neyite wrote: »
    The Collector.

Oh you reminded me of one.

The Martyr.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Neyite wrote: »
    The Collector.

Organised crime boss? :D

(If not, he/she should be, that's a much better nickname than 'The Monk')

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

The faux concern person..."Oh Colser youre very tired/pale looking,are you sick?" but really saying Colser you look like ****e today..feck off:mad:

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

maudgonner wrote: »
    Organised crime boss? :D

(If not, he/she should be, that's a much better nickname than 'The Monk')

They usually do a collection for Cheltenham - that's running a gambling ring without a licence so yeah I guess they could be organised crime. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Worked with a lad on an IT Helpdesk, it was a drop in desk where people could call in with any IT problems. He would come in at 9 and get himself logged in and set up for the first hour, then at 10 he would take off for the mid morning dump - it was a long affair which he needed to take a book with him to pass the time. Often he wouldn't be be back until 12, he'd arse around until 1 and take off for an hour then. Back at 2, arsenal around for half an hour and then take off for the mid afternoon dump, with the book of course. Back at about 4/4:30 and then out the door at 5.

He managed to stay in the job for 6 months before being no shown the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,348 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I've just tried to talk to the woman who sits beside me

Me: 'it's mad, Iceland could soon be run by pirates'

Her: Huh?

Me:, you know, because of those panama papers?

Her: huh?

me: (brief description of the issue that's been on the front page of every newspaper for days)

Her: oh, ok

Me: Well the Icelandic prime minister has resigned and they'll probably have an election, and the pirate party is the biggest opposition at the moment so they might win

Her:blank stare 'That's why mums go to Iceland'

Me: I'm not talking about the shop that sells frozen food, there's an actual country called Iceland

Her: blank stare

Me: never mind....

This is why I have headphones on for 99% of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Thankfully I moved up rapidly through the organisation and was part of a ‘ninja squad’ who were tasked with streamlining many of the bank’s activities during the financial crisis.

Don't ever change. I sincerely hope you are not playing a character.

Akrasia wrote: »
    I've just tried to talk to the woman who sits beside me

Me: 'it's mad, Iceland could soon be run by pirates'

Her: Huh?

Me:, you know, because of those panama papers?

Her: huh?

me: (brief description of the issue that's been on the front page of every newspaper for days)

Her: oh, ok

Me: Well the Icelandic prime minister has resigned and they'll probably have an election, and the pirate party is the biggest opposition at the moment so they might win

Her:blank stare 'That's why mums go to Iceland'

Me: I'm not talking about the shop that sells frozen food, there's an actual country called Iceland

Her: blank stare

Me: never mind....

This is why I have headphones on for 99% of the day.

Sounds to me like you are coming across as the annoying one in that exchange, talking AT someone about something they have no interest in!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,348 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Sounds to me like you are coming across as the annoying one in that exchange, talking AT someone about something they have no interest in!
    I only wanted to make a joke about pirates running iceland, but the fact that she has absolutely no awareness of current events or that Iceland is actually a real country meant that I was put in explaining mode, and then giving up mode.

Akrasia wrote: »
    I only wanted to make a joke about pirates running iceland, but the fact that she has absolutely no awareness of current events or that Iceland is actually a real country meant that I was put in explaining mode, and then giving up mode.

Jokes dont work when the other person doesnt know what you are talking about. Explaining it kills the joke.

Not everyone keeps up to date with current events. I dont buy newspapers, listen to the radio, have a tv or have any exposure to news/current events outside of picking up the odd bit online. I generally have a bit of a catch up with news over the weekend as I dont have time during the week. Maybe shes the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Chijj

Jokes dont work when the other person doesnt know what you are talking about. Explaining it kills the joke.

Not everyone keeps up to date with current events. I dont buy newspapers, listen to the radio, have a tv or have any exposure to news/current events outside of picking up the odd bit online. I generally have a bit of a catch up with news over the weekend as I dont have time during the week. Maybe shes the same?

You clod

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Not that one

The office resident GP/Consultant.

There is not an illness around that this person does not know the specifics of.

Has a quack cure for any ailment and has a neighbour/relation who swears by garlic/acupuncture/chicken blood/cod liver oil to cure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭MacauDragon

Most annoying person I've worked with is myself.

I've also been the oddball*, as I was going through some sht yet due to stupid life I had to be in the presence of other people and wreck the buzz even though all I wanted was to be at home asleep.

*uncomfortably quiet with issues oddball as opposed to interfering or histrionic oddball versions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Sat beside a guy in work who used to clear his throat at random times...like I mean a proper trying to get stuff at the back of this throat\snot kinda sound...was absolutely disgusting sound and drove me up the wall. Happened a few times during the day and you'd never know when it was coming, could be on a call and this "cccuuuufffff" would come down over the airwave...<I shudder>

He also had this thing of bouncing one or both knees up and down really quickly on the wheels of his seat, nearly like a nervous tic or something - but it was done in such a way that my monitor used to shake in the most slight way, but was still enough for you to notice if you were actually looking at it using it in your day to day use..

Happily, I moved elsewhere.

Advertisement