Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

Ye, the old saying 'if it seems too good to be true, it probably is' comes to mind.

Another tip when buying remotely to check the sellers validity is to ask for a phone number and actually try to talk to them.

Any hesitation or BS excuses to not give one = scam. Not answering or not replying to voicemails/messages = scam.

If you actually do get an answer you should be able to tell a legitimate seller from a scammer very easily.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I wish adverts would either remove, or fix the broken 'pay with phone' option for bumping ads. Been like that a couple of years now

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭dontmindme

How does GDPR not apply to live ads but does apply to sold ads? Do people really have accounts using their own name now or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I dont have an account with my own name when i started it possibly 8 or more years ago and can accept PayPal but also ask for Friends and Family as otherwise they take a fee.

Having good feedback is important and if posting an expensive item with tracking.

Yes i have offers with people buying stuff and not answering messages or emails and give them time to answer or bad feedback is left.

Possibly if you were selling cars you might need a name ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

GDPR requires data minimisation, that you only keep data for as long as required. They've taken a reasonable view that keeping data on sold ads isn't necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

No, that's not what's happening andrew. The data remains present and is visible to the ads creator and to adverts.ie staff, it's simply no longer visible to other buyers / sellers.

It's the same principle. They're only exposing the data to those who need to see it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

It’s the same principle as data minimisation? Changing permissions? Surely you know it’s not?

It is minimising who has access to the data. If you reckon it is a breach of GDPR, you can fire ahead with a complaint to the DPC.

Andrew, I have not claimed that what adverts are doing is a breach of GDPR, from my view it's perfectly above board.

What adverts are doing with sold ads access is not "data minimisation" as you've claimed.

Keeping data but changing who can view it is not "the same principle" as data minimisation, again as you've claimed - twice.

I do hope you have a nice sunday afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭head82

Viewing other sellers 'Sold / Withdrawn' ads is still possible when accessing Adverts via phone (Android).

Only on desktop/laptop are they greyed out.

If GDPR is the reason given for it, they're not doing a very good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

I like Adverts and have had great success on there. Granted, I usually buy and sell photography gear meaning I'm generally dealing with a particular type of person usually with the same hobbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Still see the odd dog for sale on there. GDPR isn't the only thing they are half-arsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Apologies if it's been discussed previously but has anyone else noticed a user will be located in, say, Dublin. They will then have an ad that says the item is located in, say, Mayo. Is this some kind of scam or loophole that's being exploited?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

It could be people living in Mayo but working in Dublin during the week, using your examples. Small portable tems could be marketed as being in Dublin, but big heavy items such as furniture, appliances and what not are sold from Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭ozmo

Someone has lifted exactly 500 items for sale from aliexpress and uploaded to adverts.ie

All at about 50% markup. Same text and all as on aliexpress. Must be a script as they all appeared at exactly the same time.

only positive comments are from the same -likely fake buyer with broken english(shan1122)

looks dodge?

user: “Irish Furniture Shop”

Posted in random forums: eg this laser cutter to boats…

https://www.adverts.ie/32539520

“Roll it back”

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

Look at their list of banned items.

There is some amount of them for sale on adverts if you do searches for them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just came across something for the first time - someone accepted an offer on an ad of mine, ignored my PM about it, and then when i followed it up, decided to withdraw. and when i went to leave feedback, i couldn't because according to this error, they'd blocked me.

it's a handy way of being a dick without picking up negative reviews.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I had the same happen me a few weeks ago, placed offer of asking and they accepted. I sent a PM and got no answer then they withdrew my offer and blocked me so I couldnt leave feedback or even PM as they appeared to be dealing with someone for the same item on a different advert.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wonder have the admins examined the issue but not found an easy way to address it - i suspect they don't want to get involved in tit for tat exchanges between buyers and sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭scottser

I love adverts, I've bought and sold tonnes of musical equipment there over the years and met some very, very sound heads in the process.

I've noticed that stuff seems to sit there for months accumulating views and watchers with nobody making a move, then as soon as someone makes an enquiry you get a flurry of interest and offers. Sometimes it reminds me of 4 gobshites stopped at a roundabout waiting for someone to go first..

Aside from that, it's just the usual stuff that can irritate - no or few pictures, badly researched or deliberately misleading descriptions, etc. If you want to sell your stuff you have to make it easy for folks to buy it - it's hardly rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

Same thing happens if you want to remove comments or bids off your ad.

I was bidding on a dewalt drill at one stage. Drill only. Seller was looking for 120euro.

I put up a link to where you could buy the drill , torch, 2 batterys and charger in woodies for 100.

Next thing i knew , was i was blocked , and my comments gone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

Posting links and price comparisions goes against one of Adverts' rules for buyers:

As a Buyer, you are committed:

1. To make fair and genuine offers. Thread spoiling (random comments and price comparison from other sites) is not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

So what, who cares about some random rule created to facilitate people being ripped off.

Wake me up when it's all over.

And that is exactly why Adverts can be a **** show sometimes......smh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Not really, if you want to waste your time looking at ads for over priced stuff that you can get cheaper in a shop then further wasting your time reading the comments you have far far too much time.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

That's up to the buyer, but don't be a dick and spoil someone's advert, just move on if you think something is overpriced....same as if you were browsing on eBay, Amazon or a bricks and mortar shop.....very simple.

Advertisement