Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Thats just what I do but if someone wants to spoil some dicks attempt to rip people off then its fine by me.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

Its not your site though, my response was to another poster who said they were blocked for posting a link to another cheaper product. This is against Adverts rules for sellers/buyers....their house, their rules. I've had multiple adverts spoiled by people posting links to products cheaper than what I've advertised...usually they're from discontinued sites or shipping would make them more expensive etc. It's a dick move and they usually think they are being clever, they aren't. It's the quickest way to get blocked and reported IMHO.

same as if you were browsing on eBay, Amazon or a bricks and mortar shop.....very simple

Not really, I've had hundreds of thanks for commenting on Amazon scams - mostly external solid state hard drives sold at prices that were too good to be true - and hounded one major ebay scammer (10's of thousands of euros) until I eventually worked out the scam posted how it worked and ebay finally blocked it.

As for bricks and mortar shops I'll happily ask for a discount because I can get an item cheaper for a bit more effort.

So your attitude is "just move on" and leave others to get ripped off?

I really don't bother spending my time looking for scams and rip off merchants but if I come across them when I'm actually looking for something to buy I'll take a few moments to let others know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭jasonb

I've been trying to sell some stuff on adverts recently, and feel it has changed since I used it a couple of years ago.

The biggest change I have seen is that someone might make an offer on my item, but when I check out their profile for feedback etc. I can see that they have made offers on 5 or 10 other similar items. And then they go offline for a week or more, whether you accept or decline or even just reply to their offer. Is that normal behaviour on Adverts these days? Why make an offer on multiple items and then disappear?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

So anyone that puts something up at a price that's higher than somewhere else is trying to "scam" or "rip-off" someone? And deserves to have their advert spoiled by the price police? Right so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭ozmo

Its bad - its happened to me as a seller - but I can see the bidders logic - they make several low ball offers on similar items, probably done deal too - if any get accepted its basically reserved for them then and they can make a choice of what one to accept.

Alternative is to place bid - get rejected, and in the meantime have lost out to someone else on another identical or similar item.

That or its a drunken night online shopping spree they regret the next day. Bad feedback doesnt seem to bother everyone.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭thomas 123

When you make an offer, ask some questions via PM and find out something that makes you not want it due to not being in the advert ie damage or wrong size - then you get “time waster” left as feedback. Painful - the one part about adverts I really dislike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If the answer to your questions will affect the amount you offer or whether you will make an offer, then ask the questions before making the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Unfortunately that’s not always how it works - the seller can give you a bit of information that will lead you to ask the question - ie I wouldn’t have asked had I not been promoted to ask by something revealed in the PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭jasonb

Another thing I have noticed is people just not bothering to leave feedback. I have always viewed feedback as an important part of the process, and will always leave it, but some of the buyers I have dealt, and have had perfectly friendly and successful interactions with, just didn't bother with feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

I didnt actually know about that rule tbh. It is a bit stupid though that you cant use it to bargain the price.

I know myself that its been said to me on a couple of occasions that some of my items can be bought new cheaper than im asking. On checking, i have dropped prices and sold my items. So i find that aspect useful.

Regarding adverts rules, they are slow on reinforcing them from the start. Stuff like prohibited items, adverts is full of them, go through the list and search for them, phone numbers in ads, constantly on ads, no price on ads, stolen items, using search items, etc

The ads dont seem to be checked at all by adverts when they are put up..

I know you can report the ads. But lads wont learn . I saw one ad that had the phone number up and reported it. Adverts took down the number, seller put it back up again . You cant report a second time

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jem123

Is it easy to set up a false account on adverts? I bought concert tickets from a top seller with over 200 positive reviews, no tickets sent and now looks like account is gone 😒

The old ebay trick was to hack someone's unused account that had decent feedback - lots of people with weak passwords. Guess the same might occur on adverts?

That makes sense, last time I’ll buy anything on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Chargeback?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

I'm always checking for how long account exist and feedback over the time..

Saying that, I've always (well almost always) had a great result buying or selling on adverts. Think just the normal level of awareness should do with that site.

I’m the same, very careful. This account I bought from is on adverts over 10 years with nearly 300 positive reviews. Looks like it was hacked 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Deregos.

This crowd are using adverts to call each other out over I believe a generator 😆

http://www.adverts.ie/32850418

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,908 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Adverts got themselves some great publicity on the telly tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

When I was first using Adverts I noticed a gaming chair. It was up for sale at a higher price than a new one including shipping. I innocently asked was it a different model or had some extra that made it worth more. The seller got really mad about it but he was aware he was overpriced by 80 Euro for a new one but they had spent more on it when they bought it so he thought his price was fair

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,908 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Programme called "Life In A Million Ads". RTE 1.

Most of the contributors were on Adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Well done

As lots of ppl my age etc aren't OTB ref Amazon etc scams and dishonest reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

The free Ads disappear off my ads after a while

When did that come in

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Have a phone for sale on Adverts, it's the cheapest one available and is in perfect condition. Just this morning I had someone ask if I could deliver it a not inconsiderable distance within north county Dublin. Sure I said. They offered asking, only to ask via pm if the price was negotiable. No I said. They lowballed. I stated if their offer wasn't asking, then we were done. A slightly higher price came in but not asking. You gotta love Adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Think its the same on Facebook and DoneDeal. If they want it come and collect it and price is as shown as non negotiable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Fartman666

Sites down, praying for a fix to not being able to search for sold ads (not hopeful, someone probably made a typo in the code that made the site **** itself or something)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Might be updating things as I went to log in.

BACK working

Advertisement