Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Fartman666

So it seems that we're never getting back the ability to search for sold ads are we? The least they could do is also stop withdrawn ads showing up when I search for something

• Registered Users Posts: 11,627 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Not a lot of logic to how it works.

You'd assume leaving up old ads is to make it look busier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Do you see withdrawn items in a search or are they on a watchlist

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

Been using adverts.ie for years, both as a seller & a buyer.

Personally I find it great, apart from the odd few idiots who list an item only to disappear & never be heard from again (which I think I have already mentioned further back in this thread).

One recent experience took the biscuit though. Basically, I put up an ad stating clearly in the text "cash sale only, no swaps or trades please".

So someone offers the asking price which I accept. Before I could write a message asking where & when we could arrange to meet, he sends me a message - "Hey, I'll trade you X, Y & Z". I responded asking "did you read the text of the ad". He replies "Yeh, but I thought you'd ignore me if I offered swaps, so I made an offer instead so I could message you privately". I replied back "sorry, like I said I'm not interested in swaps or trades".

About a week goes by & he starts the same cr@p again via private messaging. So I left negative feedback & then swiftly blocked the moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,973 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Is swapping a thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Back in the day with phones and consoles for me, nowadays its rarely done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I had an item for sale for €3. It was available by post only. This idiot would be visiting Dublin and wanted to know could we meet up to collect the item. I pointed out that it was available by post only. He agrees to this and asks me for my address so he could send on the payment. I gave him my address. A few days later he turns up at my house.

Needless to say the item wasn't available.....

So many people think that the conditions of sale are for "other" people but not themselves.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Cancelled a low value sale I’d agreed 6 hrs prior as a conflict arose, got a negative feedback so just decided to GDPR adverts, fcuk that hassle.

Selling anywhere online is a joke.

Im trying to sell a flat pack wardrobe - still in its box on a local facebook group page.

I have a link to the item on the website I bought it from with all its details, and its price listed there is 250. Im asking for 10.

Guy: Will offer 30 for it

I need it gone so accept it.

Me: OK,

Guy: How tall is it?

Me: 192cm (thats on the website.

Guy: What colour is it?

Me: Black (thats on the website too

Guy: Is it all black? On the site its white on the sides.

Me: its the same as the one on the site, so I assume its the same.

Guy: Could you not open it to check?

Me: Its flat-packed, never opened.

Guy: I want to see it put together before I buy. How do I know its not missing pieces.

Me: I dont want to open it and Im not putting it together.

Guy: OK.. I'll let you know.

Never heard from him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Mr321

Adverts got really busy and everyone was genuine during lockdown I found. People were in need of stuff or doing DIY projects.

Its a good site but I've found it's back to the same old messers again and some of them are really really weird

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Adverts is a joke.

Last time I bought something, a used car part for only a few euro, the seller tried to tell me he sent part 3 times and must be lost in post each time. When I rang him, he said I was making a nuisance of myself.

Last week I offered asking price of 600 for a large car part.

Needed bank transfer up front for delivery. I asked for full name and address and eircode before even considering sending money. Not too willing. Eventually got eircode that related to a hotel. When I asked the question..... I knew you were a time waster and blocked me.

Never again.

Not Adverts, but rather Facebook Marketplace.

Hi, is 'X' still available?

Hi, yes it is.

Radio silence.

Yes i check out if buyer has any feedback to give me a clue as had a few time wasters on and not coming back , i give them 1 week to reply and if silence bad feedback is left.

Is X available on FaceBook yes they want and go quiet and watch out for scams as i am busy working and will get a courier to collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Been selling for years - as others do, I keep the money aside and get something else with it. Will be getting the kitchen done next week with the money raised over the past few months.

BUT,

I have become much more fond of the negative feedback. I used to just ignore people that didn't reply or show up, now, i leave negative feedback very quickly. I've heard enough 'my daughter had to go to hospital' stories!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭slither12

Does anyone how much is a reasonable price for an unused card reader? I've been trying to sell it to no avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭slither12

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭barryribs

Was there ever a reason given why sold ads were removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I'd stick it up for a grand at least, but be willing to accept anything above 800

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Swap for my ad's? Have a slightly used BIC disposable razor and 3 size one nappies. First to see will trade :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No mate, cleanest you will ever see on adverts. You can view them between 6.15pm and 6.22pm but only with an upfront security deposit. Also, if using PayPal, you cover the fees unless friends and family

• Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Why would anyone want to buy that from you instead of getting one from AIB?

What if it had been fiddled with to steal my info?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

He's willing to sell it for €800, it would cost you a whopping €5 to get it from AIB, a no brainer really 😂

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭barryribs

An easy loop hole to close in terms and conditions

How does one get the 'top seller' badge on adverts?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Arthur Pants
    Overlord

How do I become a Top Seller?

To be a Top Seller, you need to meet 3 criteria.

1: Feedback score of 50 or more (positive feedback minus negative feedback)

2: No negative feedback in the last 90 days

3: At least 50% of items you have listed have been marked as sold

Never gave it much thought and nice to be classed as a top one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

Just wanted to comment and warn about the sheer number of organised scammers/account hackers now prowling on Adverts.ie. Over the last few months there appears to be an organised strategy of either making new accounts or hacking into older accounts which have been dormant for a few years. Then they

1) List item at attractive price just below expected market value for that item.

2) List location of item in remote location. eg far off reaches of Kerry, Donegal, Mayo etc which would be difficult for the vast majority of prospective buyers to get to. If its an older account check on the app (because they won't let you check sold/withdrawn ads on the web browser for some reason) where all the previously sold items were listed. It will be different and be a more populated area than the current location. eg one item from a scam account is today selling in Belmullet in Mayo. Her previously sold items were all in Clondalkin Dublin.

3) State item is available for postage, delivery, collection but in PM say they can only post.

4) List payment options as cash, bank transfer, PayPal. If the buyer tries to pay with PayPal (regular not F+F) the seller/scammer/account hacker refunds immediately and demands PayPal F+F.

Its 100% clear from the sheer volume of these scams this isn't some one off thing. Its highly organised. One person, multiple, a gang. Who knows. In the last month I've reported multiple Thrustmaster items on multiple accounts all with the same pics. One of the account holders stated he had been hacked. Also multiple PC processor scams. Right now there are a load of VR headsets (Quest 3 usually) all from either 0 rep accounts or old dormant accounts with good rep which are hacked and listing multiple items in the same day to week in remote locations different from their previous sales.

So if buying on Adverts please check all of the above using the app and report the ad if you see these traits. Cheers.

Advertisement