Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Meh, if someone 'commits' as in makes an offer which I accept and it seems like they never had any intention to buy, I'll leave them poor feedback. It's only happened once or twice but I think that's fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I've had it 2 minutes after replying to a comment on an ad where no offers were even made. Fair enough if the ad looks like it's sold or there is an accepted offer but on every other ad why not just ask your question or make an offer?

There are an awful lot of ads that the sellers just don't respond to as well, so the first question to ask is if the item is still available for sale, no point in asking any other questions if it is not 'still available'.

This was my most recent enquiry.

http://www.adverts.ie/hard-drives/ssd-480gb-sandisk-2-5/9956419

No response to queries and then withdrawn after I asked the important question. Picked one up on ebay in the meantime though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I think some sellers dont update their adds to show the item as sold as marking the add as sold triggers the Adverts fee to kick in.
    Well, that and stupidity/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Menas wrote: »
    I think some sellers dont update their adds to show the item as sold as marking the add as sold triggers the Adverts fee to kick in.
    Well, that and stupidity/

Nail on the head there. Many people are just too tight to pay the €1 or €2 success fee. Adverts need to address this because its obviously losing them money and frustrating buyers. With ebay you pay your auction fees up front and then if it doesn't sell you apply for a refund. Might be a better way for Adverts to go to help cut out the withdrawn ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sportloto86

Muahahaha wrote:
    Nail on the head there. Many people are just too tight to pay the €1 or €2 success fee. Adverts need to address this because its obviously losing them money and frustrating buyers. With ebay you pay your auction fees up front and then if it doesn't sell you apply for a refund. Might be a better way for Adverts to go to help cut out the withdrawn ads.

What about the ones who relist the ad and go missing? What would be their logic? Building anticipation? Waiting for crowds throwing offers at them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Muahahaha wrote: »

You don't pay eBay fees up front and I've never heard of applying to eBay for a refund. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

I've had a heap of stupid comments on both adverts and Facebook.

Sell something for 950, get responses "would u take 550/600 cash tonight" ... Then turn into smart arses when you say no?

The stupidity of them astounds me sometimes to be honest. You do get the occasional good seller/buyer and they tend to be repeats as well which is always good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Del.Monte wrote: »
    You don't pay eBay fees up front and I've never heard of applying to eBay for a refund. :confused:

I'm not sure the quoted user has ever sold anything on ebay... You list your item and when ebay processes the payment they take their cut.

Also, you do occasionally come across gold like this: http://www.adverts.ie/other-home-garden/the-lord-s-prayer/10215813

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Don't forget about the people that buy stuff from the bargain alerts and then try to make money by selling it on adverts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I have a car advertised on adverts at the min. I am in Kildare. Car is a cheap run around for €500, with NCT and tax. Advertised as no swaps and no offers below asking price.

Comments section is full of exactly that.

"Offer you €350 cash today, I am coming from Dublin"

Like I care a less where you are coming from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 dubgurl

Yeah, that's like, I'm paying to come to you so the least you can do is reduce the asking price.....!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭ahmsalo

eamonnq wrote: »
    Don't forget about the people that buy stuff from the bargain alerts and then try to make money by selling it on adverts!!

most of adverts seller they do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I hate it . I had a shop on there where collection was an option. He clicks buy now and says I'll collect off in a few days pm you for detaills then. Never heard from him again. Doesn't seem to be a way to let adverts know this so I end up paying like nearly 6euro for this.
    Closed the shop on there close afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,867 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

http://www.adverts.ie/other-consoles-games/x-box-for-sale/10209198

Just going to leave this here , I like these funny ones :D but some people take it too seriously sometimes ...

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    http://www.adverts.ie/other-consoles-games/x-box-for-sale/10209198

Just going to leave this here , I like these funny ones :D but some people take it too seriously sometimes ...

Well it's not really that funny and just clutters up Adverts with more rubbish - as if there wasn't enough already.

Well it's not really that funny and just clutters up Adverts with more rubbish - as if there wasn't enough already.

Usually they're taken down quick enough , I posted it because sometimes you can see the amount of people who just jump on the ad because it's free. Without actually reading exactly what it is first.

I found it amusing , I know not everyone does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

It's pretty ****ty though I still put ads up there.
    There is a massive amount of arseholes on it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Usually they're taken down quick enough , I posted it because sometimes you can see the amount of people who just jump on the ad because it's free. Without actually reading exactly what it is first.

I found it amusing , I know not everyone does.

modt on thid occasion seem to have gotten it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I remember one of the big sellers on adverts was offered a ridiculous swap for his high-end gaming PC, your classic 'swap my ads' - an old xbox, battered laptop, 10 year old PC, tin of baked bins, etc.
    I'd like to see that tbh.

esforum wrote: »

Still there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Was selling a game, arranged to meet up in town and while in there he rang me saying he couldn't make it insisting I post the game out to him instead. When I said it'd be a few euro more to post he acted all annoyed like I was the one that was feckin' inconveniencing him at that moment. :pac:

Ended up taking the game to CEX and getting €23 less than what I was offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I know right? The thing I was looking for on adverts.IE was actually under the crisp box in the end!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Another really annoying group are the professional beggars.

_ 200 wanted for hardly used phone
    _ offer 25
    _ sorry way too low
    _ oh I promised it to my disabled son/granny/daughter and now they are disappointed, will you do 30?

WTF?

esforum wrote: »

That's why I said Sometimes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

Why do people sell things for very small amounts that only cost a small amount in a shop?

At the moment there is someone selling a peanut Kit Kat for €1.

Fair enough if you're selling something that is worth two or three times that or can't be had anymore.

Then again maybe peanut Kit Kats are discontinued and I have just highlighted bargain for the century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Cathy.C wrote: »
    Why do people sell things for very small amounts that only cost a small amount in a shop?

At the moment there is someone selling a peanut Kit Kat for €1.

Fair enough if you're selling something that is worth two or three times that or can't be had anymore.

Then again maybe peanut Kit Kats are discontinued and I have just highlighted bargain for the century.

Peanut or peanut butter?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just put up an item earlier for €15, I could have priced it at €20 or €25 but wanted rid of it quick. Within minutes someone said 'I'll give you a fiver for it' I say no thanks then someone else offers a tenner and I accept. Then the first guy comes back sheepishly offering a tenner if the deal falls through! If he was willing to pay that in the first place then why not just offer it! There are some real bottom feeders on that site but it still makes me laugh, I don't let it get to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just put up an item earlier for €15, I could have priced it at €20 or €25 but wanted rid of it quick. Within minutes someone said 'I'll give you a fiver for it' I say no thanks then someone else offers a tenner and I accept. Then the first guy comes back sheepishly offering a tenner if the deal falls through! If he was willing to pay that in the first place then why not just offer it! There are some real bottom feeders on that site but it still makes me laugh, I don't let it get to me

If they fall through i'll give you €7.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Another numpty

I specifically said in the ad collection only

Guy makes an offer, I accept, pm him my address

Replies to meet him in his town. Eh no thanks chap learn to read

Iq on adverts.ie must be little more than room temperature

Advertisement