Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DC Rebirth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

How are people getting on with Rebirth at the moment? There's been some big enough events recently.

The Button:
    Had a great first issue that was masterfully plotted,
    the last three were a bit meh for me with some nice moments but overall I felt it was mostly a tease. Was a noticeable shift from King to Williamson.

The Lazarus Contract:
    Overall was pretty good, pretty heart breaking for both the Wallys though. As ever felt Priest's parts were the best. He should have some influence on any Deathstroke that makes its way to the bi screen.

Batman 24:
    Will Catwoman say yes? If she does do we think editors will allow any wedding to actually happen and if so how long would it stay as the status quo. Still have a lot of hype for War of Jokes and Riddles.

I really liked The Button but it absolutely felt like a tease. I haven't read The Lazarus Contract but I kinda hope that Batman 24 does have a lasting effect tbh. It'd be a nice change and everything has been kinda building to it for years now...

dunworth1 wrote: »
    overall i'm enjoying them

except for all start batman i'm really struggling with it considering dropping it

Same actually. Really surprised cos I'm a big fan of Snyder...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 star_barbie

overall i'm enjoying them

except for all start batman i'm really struggling with it considering dropping it

Yeah I have already dropped this - I think I didn't get the concept as clearly as I would have liked, and reading this along with Batman started to grate and I'd rather read the main Batman story.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm actually so knee deep in backlogs im considering dropping everything. Just grab the TPBs when they come out. Have six orders not even out of the packaging they came in

Yeah I have already dropped this - I think I didn't get the concept as clearly as I would have liked, and reading this along with Batman started to grate and I'd rather read the main Batman story.

Yeah I feel kinda the same. Also Snyder writes for the arc, not the issue, which makes for amazing tpbs but the pace in monthlies is just a bit much for me at the moment...

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm actually so knee deep in backlogs im considering dropping everything. Just grab the TPBs when they come out. Have six orders not even out of the packaging they came in

I'm similar. I've mostly curbed my singles and have moved mostly to trades. I go back and forth every few months between trades and singles tbh. Only thing I'm still consistently collecting in singles is Superman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I was the same got singles for a long while now I just read digital and pick up the trades of the stuff I enjoyed. I'll pick up one shots like the annuals or special editions like the 4 lenticular covers

I like the small monthly crossovers because that what i grew up

Yeah, for the most part, Rebirth is knocking it out of the park. I don't know if there's any Marvel book I'm reading regularly except CapSteve, and that's kinda just cos I'm invested in this arc now...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 star_barbie

Yeah, for the most part, Rebirth is knocking it out of the park. I don't know if there's any Marvel book I'm reading regularly except CapSteve, and that's kinda just cos I'm invested in this arc now...

I've dropped all Marvel (I think, no wait still Moon Girl) apart from Star Wars - not because the quality was poor but because there were sooo many new number 1s I couldn't keep up with everything I wanted to read, and I didn't want to read the Secret Empire crossover stuff so I gravitated towards DC. When the 'diversity doesn't sell' rationale came out from Marvel then I felt kinda guilty, because I'd dropped books - but that clearly isn't the issue!

I've dropped all Marvel (I think, no wait still Moon Girl) apart from Star Wars - not because the quality was poor but because there were sooo many new number 1s I couldn't keep up with everything I wanted to read, and I didn't want to read the Secret Empire crossover stuff so I gravitated towards DC. When the 'diversity doesn't sell' rationale came out from Marvel then I felt kinda guilty, because I'd dropped books - but that clearly isn't the issue!

I agree. Way too many titles going on at Marvel and they reboot every 10 issues. I'm also really sick of some stuff at Marvel. But that's for another thread... what DC is doing with Rebirth is working so well - cheaper comics coming out more regularly. Sure, I'm spending more money per book each month because they ship twice, but I'm also getting more content so I'm much more engaged. It's definitely working for me anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Think I might drop off Flash and Green Arrow. When I get around to reading them if I enjoy them, I'll pickup the TPB's.

I have the first 2 GA trades and they're really great! First Flash one was decent... I might come back to it at some stage. Just finished Aquaman vol 1: The Drowning (great title) and was pleasantly surprised. Might end up getting vol 2 at some point. Also just started Titans vol 1: The Return of Wally West. Really strong so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I find the Wonder Woman ones kind of confusing. I usually have no trouble reading the likes of Superman and Action Comics or Batman and Detective comics, but reading 2 separate stories for Wonder Woman is just confusing. I think both stories are finished now but I think the only way I could tell them apart was with Cheetah's status.

I'm just waiting for the next big Rebirth arc which I believe is September or October when Superman
    meets Manhattan

Speaking of Superman what was the deal with the Mxy story? Is it that both his and New52's Superman's stories have been merged and there has only ever been one in this world? So things like Doomsday killing him happened in this world? Though if that's the case, how did Lana get her powers? That also changes the Justice League's origin as well, I suppose.

I think that's the main problem about the New 52 in general is that they kept too many events canon which all had to have happened in a very short timespan. Like how Batman went through a few Robins in 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

GA is pretty good, certainly one of the most beautiful comics in Rebirth.

Really looking forward to Doomsday Clock, very interested to see how Johns approaches it.

Superman is a merger of both Supermen and The Superman story is not finished yet if you go back and look at death of superman reign of superman panel

Super boy is missing removed from history the same as Wally west was but why and by whom ?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I find the Wonder Woman ones kind of confusing. I usually have no trouble reading the likes of Superman and Action Comics or Batman and Detective comics, but reading 2 separate stories for Wonder Woman is just confusing. I think both stories are finished now but I think the only way I could tell them apart was with Cheetah's status.

I'm just waiting for the next big Rebirth arc which I believe is September or October when Superman
    meets Manhattan

Speaking of Superman what was the deal with the Mxy story? Is it that both his and New52's Superman's stories have been merged and there has only ever been one in this world? So things like Doomsday killing him happened in this world? Though if that's the case, how did Lana get her powers? That also changes the Justice League's origin as well, I suppose.

I think that's the main problem about the New 52 in general is that they kept too many events canon which all had to have happened in a very short timespan. Like how Batman went through a few Robins in 5 years.

Essentially, yeah... it's really just a way around the whole 2 Lois Lanes and them not being the Kents etc though.

The 5 years thing is just one of those silly comics things you have to just ignore, I reckon!

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Super boy is missing removed from history the same as Wally west was but why and by whom ?

I know about Wally since it was the New 52 reboot that removed him, but Superboy has been in Teen Titans and, I believe, his own comic since then. Where'd he go? I remember a whole mess with him and another version of Superboy travelling to Bart's time or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Hi all hope it's ok to ask here.

I've always loved superheroes more so DC.

Can I just ask what's the story with all these different versions. This rebirth is starting each superhero off fresh day 1 again a reset I assume?

So are there other versions out there as well now or what that are further along for instance I see this new 52, etc

I had half a mind to give this rebirth ago for batman especially, but being a 100% comic noob I'm confused, how many issues are into the rebirth? Also how big is each issue?

Hi all hope it's ok to ask here.

I've always loved superheroes more so DC.

Can I just ask what's the story with all these different versions. This rebirth is starting each superhero off fresh day 1 again a reset I assume?

So are there other versions out there as well now or what that are further along for instance I see this new 52, etc

I had half a mind to give this rebirth ago for batman especially, but being a 100% comic noob I'm confused, how many issues are into the rebirth? Also how big is each issue?

Hi Jurgen,

Essentially, every few years DC finds themselves going a little off course of where they want to be for whatever reasons and they start somewhat fresh. They don't always start from day one so it's best to just jump in.

Rebirth continues on from The New 52 but you don't need to read The New 52; you can jump righ in to Rebirth handy enough. Rebirth is kind of a course correction where they're trying to get back to the heart of the characters that they largely messed up in New 52. If you like Batman, I'd really recommend reading the New 52 run though, it's fantastic.

Are there any characters you're particularly interested in?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Think I'm gonna drop Justice League of America love Lobo, pre 52 Lobo, but it's like a nonsense tie in at this stage. Looking forward to the next Batman arc though should be a laugh.

• Advertisement

Remember when Lobo was slimmer and some sort of prince? But they discarded him and brought back this Lobo.

I still find the Amanda Waller backtracking funny.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Remember when Lobo was slimmer and some sort of prince? But they discarded him and brought back this Lobo.

I still find the Amanda Waller backtracking funny.

What's the backtracking? Haven't read any SS.

Backtracking mightn't be the right word, but New 52 introduced her basically with supermodel looks and body but now she's looking more like her old self.

Jesus...!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

She still looks on the slim side Amanda Waller to me will always be the Justice League cartoon heavy set with a nod to Pamela Grier in Smallville.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Hmm weird. I guess I'll collect the whole run then. Tbh, ASB has been Snyder's low point for me. I'm a big fan of his but I just can't get into it. Hopefully the new thing will be an improvement. Also really looking forward to Metal.

Just read Dark Days: The Forge and it was really good. I'm not a huge fan of Tynion or Jim Lee but I'm glad I picked this up. Definitely a good start in the build up to METAL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Hi Jurgen,

Essentially, every few years DC finds themselves going a little off course of where they want to be for whatever reasons and they start somewhat fresh. They don't always start from day one so it's best to just jump in.

Rebirth continues on from The New 52 but you don't need to read The New 52; you can jump righ in to Rebirth handy enough. Rebirth is kind of a course correction where they're trying to get back to the heart of the characters that they largely messed up in New 52. If you like Batman, I'd really recommend reading the New 52 run though, it's fantastic.

Are there any characters you're particularly interested in?

God sorry I completely forgot about this! :)

The only one that would interest me bar Batman would be Nightwing, bit again wouldn't know where to start

But if there is any sort of comic based on Jason Todd after his return whether in a Red Hood or other alter ego I'd like to check it out as well

• Advertisement

God sorry I completely forgot about this! :)

The only one that would interest me bar Batman would be Nightwing, bit again wouldn't know where to start

But if there is any sort of comic based on Jason Todd after his return whether in a Red Hood or other alter ego I'd like to check it out as well

Red Hood and The Outlaws with Artemis, and Bizarro the first volume Dark Trinity is out now in trade paperback

Advertisement