Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Separating Church & State , Why does it Matter ?

Options

Comments

Assuming these are private schools as any state funded Catholic school in the UK will accept those of any faith and only prioritise those of Catholic faith if demand is high.

No state schools, but as far as I'm aware some funding also comes from the church in the case of secondary schools anyway.

Maybe because demand is so exceptionally high they basically turn away all non-catholics automatically but I know for sure that even catholic families have to work very hard to get into many of the schools. As an example if the child hasn't served mass in their local church and the parents haven't been involved in some church events they might as well not bother applying to the better catholic schools as they will score badly in the points system used (this is all in addition to entrance exams etc). I can remember my relations working extremely hard and trying to get as many "points" as they could to enable their child go to the best school (which they did get into in the end). Now aside from wanting the best school they also very much wanted the education to be catholic ethos.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Bingo. And I hate saying it but liberal lefty virtue signalling is what the ET model is based upon - "we all love each other and we're all so diverse and accepting", until a Muslim immigrant turns up and it's "who invited you to the party?". There's still an awful lot of prejudice and suspicion among people who were fine being liberal, while their credentials were never tested. Suddenly they're looking more and more conservative because their ideology is under threat.

can you explain that one? I assume you dont mean Muslim kids in ET schools?
    if its more a general point then the Muslim problem does make some people have to focus on things that could be taken for granted in the past. the previous assumption was that migrants would come and within a generation would adopt the values of the host country. Muslims have thrown a monkey wrench into that assumption

That's the problem I have with forced integration - it can't be done. Integration has to happen naturally. If people set up a society where everyone has what appears to an outsider to be as much freedom as they like, an outsider is going to want to be part of that. But when they get here they're being forced to fit in and they can't, so they self-segregate themselves into their own communities and keep themselves to themselves. That's how ghettoization happens. The US isn't so blind to culture as it might appear to be from the outside, and we're going the same way.

absolutely my view is its better not to let the numbers in if ghettoisation can occur. its a negative for the host society

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Delirium wrote: »
    Something has to be wrong with the scenario if you're suggesting that parents homeschool their children due to time lost because of sacrament preparation/ religious instruction.

If you read the post that I was responding to you would have seen that the OP was suggesting that religion be 'homeschooled'

Absolam wrote: »
    I disagree, is the teacher not responsible for the students? Do the school not “respect all religions and none”? Or should respect only extend as far as their feelings about fish?
    I didn't desconstruct the lesson, nor the teacher bring the magazine in. Seriously, did you acquaint yourself with any of the facts before you weighed in?
    And as I said, I'm happy enough to stack what I judge to be of educational value against what you judge to be of educational value, but I think at this stage you can stop pretending your presumptions are supposedly based on what occurred, having demonstrated you didn't even bother to review the events reported.

I am more interested in the general idea of what constitutes offence in the classroom . the fact that it was a kid that brought in the mazagine is neither here nor there. once the teacher decided to present the material, its no different to a teacher bringing in the material themselves.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators Posts: 51,733 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

If you read the post that I was responding to you would have seen that the OP was suggesting that religion be 'homeschooled'
    Yes, I saw that the poster said religious instruction should be 'homeschooled'. I'd have no problem with that.

A religion class to learn about various religions/atheism would be fine but religious instruction really is the task of the parents/respective church of the child.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

My point is why do schools run by the state staffed by teachers trained with and paid for by the tax payer have a religious ethos ? specifically one religion , its a joke.

I will happily teach my kids science and history outside school , i just don't see why class time is being wasted on a bunch of made up nonsense that has little or no meaning in the modern world , when they could be using the time to learn actual relevant subjects.

But the fact that you are a non believer isn't a good enough reason for the rest of us to follow suit,is it? I have respect for the real atheists out there who have nothing to do with religion. They pay their respects at funerals either in the funeral home or outside the church. Likewise with weddings they attend the reception not the service. I would not have much time for half hearted atheists who have their children baptised, make communion, confirmation, get married in church and generally find themselves in churches several times a year. Ask them why that is so and it will be a case of 'Oh I didn't want to offend my parents/peers/whatever or 'little Jeffrey would have been bullied'. It's time for some of ye guys to grow a pair.

A religion class to learn about various religions/atheism would be fine but religious instruction really is the task of the parents/respective church of the child.

Except that parents choosing to send their children to a catholic ethos school which is part of the church want the school to also be part of the religious instruction. School, the church and religion go hand in had for many many parents. If people don't want this then they need to find or establish an alternative (or get the government to provide new schools not change the ethos of current schools) rather than try to change the way a majority of people in the country want things.

Religious instruction is a task for the school, parents and the church not 1 of 3 or 2 out of 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Where did you get the idea that religion takes a back seat at secondary level? If anything it delves into religion in more depth than at primary level.

Personal experience, religion very much took a back seat for me, having discussed it with my peers back in college this doesn't appear to be an unusual experience.
    The size of the nation is of course relevant in terms of resources allocated to education, and we are punching well above our weight internationally in terms of our output produced from the input by the State in education.

It's all relative though as a smaller nation there's less resources needed so mapping like for like with a larger nation size becomes irrelevant. We have good resources and use them well but the size of the nation doesn't really affect that.
    Saying that you want religious ethos schools removed from the patronage system is looking to change the education system.

I do not want religious ethos schools removed from the system.
    You can't remove religion from schools because the State does not fund the schools, it provides for the education of the nations children. Whoever provides that education, the State would still have to provide the funding for it. We don't pay for the schools, we pay for the education of the nations children. Those seeking a religious ethos education already are catering for it themselves. They pay taxes too!

Yes I said we all pay the taxes, that somehow doesn't exclude those of a religious faith. Again I do not encourage the removal of religion from schools. I encourage a system where the basis of education is in giving the child the core fundamentals needed to learn the skills needed and then a choice on religious ethos is given. The best way in my opinion to do this is for the state to fund and run core schools with no religious ethos and then for religions to run their own schools for the people of their faith with funding from the state.
    The same as RC schools in Ireland then?

Yes, exactly.
    The State isn't punishing anyone, and you can't have failed to miss the irony of the part in bold there when you were earlier suggesting that the correct approach is to remove religion from "State funded" schools? What's that if it's not punishing someone, oppressing them, and looking down your nose at them? You'd be doing the very same then if you were in a majority, and you'd have no problem suggesting anyone calling for their beliefs and values to be respected and provided for, is only whining.

Completely incorrect I may have worded my comments poorly but you are taking the extreme from what I said, I have full respect for other people and their beliefs and an in depth appreciation for the good that comes from a Catholic ethos learning environment and I would never want that to be oppressed nor was that what I was saying. I was simply saying it has its place outside of the core education of the children of Ireland, not that it should be eradicated.
    Are philosophy, art, music and drama quantifiable? No, but they are just as important a part of the curriculum as maths or history. Religion is an important part of the curriculum in religious ethos schools as any other subject, even more so than any other subjects.

I agree it's an important part to those of faith but again it's a belief based on blind faith and the idea that man cannot comprehend the nature of God which again is something I fully respect and again it's something that shouldn't be oppressed but needs to have its correct place in the education system where those who want their kids to be educated religiously have the choice to do so and those that do not not are not restricted in doing so.
    I'll agree with you there, it was disrespectful, and unnecessary, and there's a lot of that about, unnecessary disrespect for those people who don't share your philosophy and values. I wonder if there's ever a compromise can be reached that would mean there would be no need for people to show an unnecessary disrespect for other people's philosophy and values?

Not in the short term, it takes humans a long time to adapt and become accepting, it is a shame because it's illogical not to respect what makes us all somewhat unique on our ways.
    Didn't you just state in black and white that the correct thing for the State to do would be to remove religion from State funded schools? It's hardly unwarranted fear then, is it? You're not just asking to be catered for in the education system, you're demanding that the children who attend religious ethos schools be denied an education. You're punishing and oppressing children by denying them an education because you, who is in a minority, want the State to provide for only the type of education that suits a minority...

You do realise that there's a better chance of Jesus making a comeback before that's ever likely to happen?

State funded was an incorrect wording for me, as throughout this post I have tried and hopefully clarified my stance, I in no way wanted to give the impression that I want my beliefs to be catered for at the expense of the beliefs of others, I would only like to see the state provide better for those of no faith and indeed those of other faiths.
    No state schools, but as far as I'm aware some funding also comes from the church in the case of secondary schools anyway.

Maybe because demand is so exceptionally high they basically turn away all non-catholics automatically but I know for sure that even catholic families have to work very hard to get into many of the schools. As an example if the child hasn't served mass in their local church and the parents haven't been involved in some church events they might as well not bother applying to the better catholic schools as they will score badly in the points system used (this is all in addition to entrance exams etc). I can remember my relations working extremely hard and trying to get as many "points" as they could to enable their child go to the best school (which they did get into in the end). Now aside from wanting the best school they also very much wanted the education to be catholic ethos.

In high demand areas here in Ireland this occurs too I believe, Its understandable and I very much would like to see a situation in Ireland where Catholic ethos schools cater for those of a Catholic faith and don't have to cater for those of none or a different faith by the state giving the correct amount of resources to cater for this. I hope my post here has clarified my appreciation of your own beliefs and you understand I am not someone who would ever mock them.

Except that parents choosing to send their children to a catholic ethos school which is part of the church want the school to also be part of the religious instruction. School, the church and religion go hand in had for many many parents. If people don't want this then they need to find or establish an alternative rather than try to change the way a majority of people in the country want thing done to suit their minority views.

Religious instruction is a task for the school, parents and the church not 1 of 3 or 2 out of 3.

Religious instruction is for the parents and church to look after, not for the government. Everyone pays taxes that fund the wages/running of the school, yet one religious group get special treatment purely because they are patron of the school. Doesn't seem like a fair implementation of a public school system.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,733 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Except that parents choosing to send their children to a catholic ethos school
    bully for them that they have the choice.

• Advertisement

bully for them that they have the choice.
    I'd actually wonder if they'd still choose a religious ethos school if there was actually a choice in every town/village.

People are assuming all/most Roman Catholics are choosing RCC ethos schools when actually it's the only school available.

Religious instruction is for the parents and church to look after, not for the government. Everyone pays taxes that fund the wages/running of the school, yet one religious group get special treatment purely because they are patron of the school. Doesn't seem like a fair implementation of a public school system.

I'm sorry but religion is also very much a part of school and the school day and should remain that way, communion and confirmation etc should all be done as a group in school where children lean about it together. I also pay taxes to fund schools and I want the schools to have a catholic ethos. I don't want any child of mine educated in some secular school. You don't have what you want, fair enough but taking away what an awful lot of people do want is not the way to solve your problem. New schools ran in your way of thinking is the way to solve it. Remember the church owns most schools and they are on their land, they just permit the state to use them and would be well within their right to outright refuse any dilution of the ethos and religious education in schools.

I'm sorry but religion is also very much a part of school and the school day and should remain that way, communion and confirmation etc should all be done as a group in school where children lean about it together. I also pay taxes to fund schools and I want the schools to have a catholic ethos. You don't have what you want, fair enough but taking away what an awful lot of people do want is not the way to solve your problem. New schools ran in your way of thinking is the way to solve it. Remember the church owns most schools and they are on their land, they just permit the state to use them and would be well within their right to outright refuse any dilution of the ethos and religious education in schools.

on the plus side there are so few real catholics these days that RE classes in these schools must be a joke by secondary school. It would actually be in the catholic churche's interests to get down to say 1 in 3 schools and only pick kids whose parents are actually involved in the church. As it is it's more like an inoculation against having any meaningful faith long term.

I'm sorry but religion is also very much a part of school and the school day and should remain that way, communion and confirmation etc should all be done as a group in school where children lean about it together. I also pay taxes to fund schools and I want the schools to have a catholic ethos. You don't have what you want, fair enough but taking away what an awful lot of people do want is not the way to solve your problem. New schools ran in your way of thinking is the way to solve it. Remember the church owns most schools and they are on their land, they just permit the state to use them and would be well within their right to outright refuse any dilution of the ethos and religious education in schools.

Yes, I understand the concept of a religious ethos school. But it still doesn't explain why the taxpayer (be they religious or not) should have to fund a public school system that gives preferential treatment to one religious group.

Also does your protection of ethos extend to barring/firing unmarried mothers or LGBT teachers from teaching positions?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Yes, I understand the concept of a religious ethos school. But it still doesn't explain why the taxpayer (be they religious or not) should have to fund a public school system that gives preferential treatment to one religious group.

Here's an interesting (well I think it's interesting anyway, you may not) paper on the whole legal background to that and why it isn't at all true that the State gives preferential treatment to one religious group:

Religion and Education – the Irish Constitution

Also does your protection of ethos extend to barring/firing unmarried mothers or LGBT teachers from teaching positions?

The short answer is 'No, it doesn't', but, that's not to say that if a Board of Management of the school choose not to hire them in the first place, that they can automatically be deemed to be in breach of equality legislation.

Personal experience, religion very much took a back seat for me, having discussed it with my peers back in college this doesn't appear to be an unusual experience.

My opinion isn't based upon my personal experience though, or that of my peers, that's anecdotal evidence, whereas I base my opinion on empirical evidence. It wouldn't be an unusual experience for your peers because by definition, your peers are those people with whom you share a commonality. In this case that commonality is the belief that religion takes a back seat in secondary level education. It really doesn't:

ETB second level schools illegally force students to take compulsory religion classes

(teachdontpreach, objective as always... not!)

It's all relative though as a smaller nation there's less resources needed so mapping like for like with a larger nation size becomes irrelevant. We have good resources and use them well but the size of the nation doesn't really affect that.

If as you say it's all relative, then mapping proportionately means the size of the nations populations is indeed irrelevant. We don't have anything like the proportionate resources of other countries, because we don't allocate as much funding to education as we should, in proportion to the amount allocated to education in other countries. Yet for the same ratio of resources being put into education, Ireland is demonstrating a vastly superior ratio of input vs output, than other countries.

Yes I said we all pay the taxes, that somehow doesn't exclude those of a religious faith. Again I do not encourage the removal of religion from schools. I encourage a system where the basis of education is in giving the child the core fundamentals needed to learn the skills needed and then a choice on religious ethos is given. The best way in my opinion to do this is for the state to fund and run core schools with no religious ethos and then for religions to run their own schools for the people of their faith with funding from the state.

Well that sounds more like an idea I could get behind and support!

Completely incorrect I may have worded my comments poorly but you are taking the extreme from what I said, I have full respect for other people and their beliefs and an in depth appreciation for the good that comes from a Catholic ethos learning environment and I would never want that to be oppressed nor was that what I was saying. I was simply saying it has its place outside of the core education of the children of Ireland, not that it should be eradicated.

I took the extreme from what you said, to demonstrate that people who oppose the teaching of religious ethos schools use that same argument, only with the perspectives reversed. Again when you say that the Catholic ethos learning environment has it's place outside the core education of the children of Ireland, there are people like myself who would disagree and tell you that for example my child is a child of Ireland, and from my perspective, a Catholic ethos is very much at the core of his education. You may need to be a little more specific.

I agree it's an important part to those of faith but again it's a belief based on blind faith and the idea that man cannot comprehend the nature of God which again is something I fully respect and again it's something that shouldn't be oppressed but needs to have its correct place in the education system where those who want their kids to be educated religiously have the choice to do so and those that do not not are not restricted in doing so.

We're back on track again. That's certainly an idea I can get behind as it's the basis of a secular education system, ie - not just secular schools within an education system, but the actual system itself, is secular.

Not in the short term, it takes humans a long time to adapt and become accepting, it is a shame because it's illogical not to respect what makes us all somewhat unique on our ways.

I'd have a little more faith in humanity than that. Look how far we've come in less than a generation already - when I was growing up, corporal punishment was allowed in schools, it didn't become a criminal offence until 1996, spousal rape didn't become a criminal offence until 1990, suicide was decriminalised in 1993, as were homosexual acts, and even then marriage equality was but a distant dream. My point is that society is adapting all the time, it hasn't just stagnated, we're always progressing, faster now in the last few decades than at any other time in human civilisation.

State funded was an incorrect wording for me, as throughout this post I have tried and hopefully clarified my stance, I in no way wanted to give the impression that I want my beliefs to be catered for at the expense of the beliefs of others, I would only like to see the state provide better for those of no faith and indeed those of other faiths.

Yeah we're pretty much on the same page on that one, and even the RCC is geting in on the act, and progressing with the times, in spite of what you might have heard among your peers:

Catholic Primary Schools in a Changing Ireland - Sharing good Practice on Inclusion of All Pupils

My opinion isn't based upon my personal experience though, or that of my peers, that's anecdotal evidence, whereas I base my opinion on empirical evidence. It wouldn't be an unusual experience for your peers because by definition, your peers are those people with whom you share a commonality. In this case that commonality is the belief that religion takes a back seat in secondary level education. It really doesn't:

ETB second level schools illegally force students to take compulsory religion classes

(teachdontpreach, objective as always... not!)

Not really correct, I didn't know anyone in the group of peers I mention until attending college, the only common factor among us all would be regional covering 5 counties in the north east region. The issue arose in a class and the discussion leaned towards religion being less of a factor in secondary education.

By this I mean the feeling was it is not as ingrained in secondary education as during primary education, while religion classes were still very much present and mandatory they were used for life lessons rather than education in the requirements of the religion.
    If as you say it's all relative, then mapping proportionately means the size of the nations populations is indeed irrelevant. We don't have anything like the proportionate resources of other countries, because we don't allocate as much funding to education as we should, in proportion to the amount allocated to education in other countries. Yet for the same ratio of resources being put into education, Ireland is demonstrating a vastly superior ratio of input vs output, than other countries.

Indeed, the proportion of resources matter, not the size of the country or the population in itself. We punch above our weight thanks to the hard work of those in the education system who are under resourced.
    I took the extreme from what you said, to demonstrate that people who oppose the teaching of religious ethos schools use that same argument, only with the perspectives reversed. Again when you say that the Catholic ethos learning environment has it's place outside the core education of the children of Ireland, there are people like myself who would disagree and tell you that for example my child is a child of Ireland, and from my perspective, a Catholic ethos is very much at the core of his education. You may need to be a little more specific.

OK but I don't oppose the teaching of religious ethos schools only that it be a choice. What I mean by core is that a child needs education in certain subjects to function in society, a child will need language, math's, business, etc... its just a fact that to function in the society we have created core skills are needed. For me these types of subjects are the educational core that should be focused on. After these are taken care of then religious beliefs should be catered for (Without detriment to those beliefs of course).

Simply put I want the government to start focusing on an education system with choice at its core and not religion at its core.
    I'd have a little more faith in humanity than that. Look how far we've come in less than a generation already - when I was growing up, corporal punishment was allowed in schools, it didn't become a criminal offence until 1996, spousal rape didn't become a criminal offence until 1990, suicide was decriminalised in 1993, as were homosexual acts, and even then marriage equality was but a distant dream. My point is that society is adapting all the time, it hasn't just stagnated, we're always progressing, faster now in the last few decades than at any other time in human civilisation.

Ireland is a good example of this but when you look worldwide there is much slower progress even in advanced countries. I share your belief that humanity will eventually get there but I believe it will take a long long time.

Not really correct, I didn't know anyone in the group of peers I mention until attending college, the only common factor among us all would be regional covering 5 counties in the north east region. The issue arose in a class and the discussion leaned towards religion being less of a factor in secondary education.

By this I mean the feeling was it is not as ingrained in secondary education as during primary education, while religion classes were still very much present and mandatory they were used for life lessons rather than education in the requirements of the religion.

Ahh! OK that's a different thing entirely, as in it's down to how the individual teacher in each case how they choose to impart the syllabus (or not, as appears to be the case in your experience and that of your peers). Just for, well, information really, there is actually a syllabus for religious education in secondary schools at both junior and senior cycle, and it can be taken as an examination subject if the student wishes to do so -

JUNIOR CERTIFICATE RELIGIOUS EDUCATION SYLLABUS

LEAVING CERTIFICATE RELIGIOUS EDUCATION SYLLABUS

Indeed, the proportion of resources matter, not the size of the country or the population in itself. We punch above our weight thanks to the hard work of those in the education system who are under resourced.

Preaching to the choir! (metaphorically speaking at least ;)), but you're absolutely right - teachers do work hard in education and much of that education is imparted in religious ethos schools. In fact the majority of it is imparted in religious ethos schools! So they're definitely doing something right!

OK but I don't oppose the teaching of religious ethos schools only that it be a choice. What I mean by core is that a child needs education in certain subjects to function in society, a child will need language, math's, business, etc... its just a fact that to function in the society we have created core skills are needed. For me these types of subjects are the educational core that should be focused on. After these are taken care of then religious beliefs should be catered for (Without detriment to those beliefs of course).

Simply put I want the government to start focusing on an education system with choice at its core and not religion at its core.

That's not really the Government's call. There are a couple of different stakeholders involved in the development of the national curriculum at both primary and secondary level education, including but not limited to -

National Council for Curriculum and Assessment

Catholic Primary Schools Management Association

The Joint Managerial Body for School Management in Voluntary Secondary Schools

And loads, loads more! Suffice to say that everyone has their own ideas on how children should be educated to be able to function in todays society. Even Pope Frank manages to get his beak in when he approves of the religious education curriculum I linked to in my last post -

Holy See grants the Decree of Recognitio to the new Catholic Preschool and Primary Religious Education Curriculum for Ireland.

That's this one -

Catholic Primary Schools in a Changing Ireland - Sharing good Practice on Inclusion of All Pupils

Catholic Preschool and Primary Religious Education Curriculum for Ireland (2015)

Ireland is a good example of this but when you look worldwide there is much slower progress even in advanced countries. I share your belief that humanity will eventually get there but I believe it will take a long long time.

Truthfully, I'd be very dodgy about comparing Irish society to other societies as we're rather unique in a lot of ways, and those countries would have their own unique societies that are fit for their purposes. Are we as progressive in terms of education and child welfare as the Nordic countries? No, thankfully. They have some rather unusual ways of measuring progress anyway that simply couldn't be applied here. Are we as regressive as... ohh I don't know, pick a country? No, we're well ahead of the curve in terms of our education and child welfare policies. We have the 31st amendment to thank for that (lowest voter turnout for a referendum at 33%. Only the sixteenth amendment was lower at 29%, and that was a referendum to refuse bail to people who might be at risk of committing a serious offence while on bail!). We also have the Children and Family Relationships Act 2015 to thank for improving the welfare, rights and protection of children in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,207 ✭✭✭✭looksee

One Eyed Jack
    Preaching to the choir! (metaphorically speaking at least ), but you're absolutely right - teachers do work hard in education and much of that education is imparted in religious ethos schools. In fact the majority of it is imparted in religious ethos schools! So they're definitely doing something right!

But are they doing something right because of or in spite of the ethos of the schools?

looksee wrote: »
    One Eyed Jack

But are they doing something right because of or in spite of the ethos of the schools?

I think the quality of the education is not impacted positively or negatively by the fact that it is in a Catholic ethos school.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    One Eyed Jack

Well I would suggest that it's because of the ethos of the schools, but I wouldn't take my own word to mean all that much anyway tbh, so I look at things like what the document above says -

"It must be emphasised that the vast majority of Catholic schools handle the issue of diversity with sensitivity and respect. The Chief Inspector’s Report 2010–12 clearly indicates that the overwhelming majority of parents and pupils find their schools to be well managed and welcoming. The report states that:

Some very positive findings were reported about the management of pupils in primary schools in the period 2010–2012. During notified WSEs (whole-school evalautions), 96% ofschools were found to be managing their pupils effectively by, for example, fostering respectful pupil–teacher interactions, by cultivating an inclusive, child-centred ethos and by using positive strategies to promote good behaviour. Incidental inspections similarly found that the management of pupils was effective in practically all (96%) of the classrooms visited." Pg. 16

I wouldn't take their word for it either, so I'd have a look at exactly what the report does say -

Some very positive findings were reported about the management of pupils in primary schools in the period 2010-2012. During notified WSEs, 96% of schools were found to be managing their pupils effectively by, for example, fostering respectful pupil-teacher interactions, by cultivating an inclusive, child-centred ethos and by using positive strategies to promote good behaviour. Incidental inspections similarly found that the management of pupils was effective in practically all (96%) of the classrooms visited. Pg. 35

Ok so the report does say that then, but if I felt like really torturing myself (as sometimes I tend to do), I'll often have a nosey around the Inspection Reports and Publications themselves!

If I were simply to make a judgement based on my own experience, I'd say that every year when I go to the Young Scientist Exhibition, I'm amazed at the talent we're producing in this country, and for all those people who would suggest that there's something fundamentally wrong with our education system and so on, I would tell them go and visit the exhibition for themselves, and then come back and tell me that our education system is failing children in this country. Far from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

How do people who allege that too much time is spent on religion explain all the PHDs our education system has produced
    My brother for example, not terribly clever at all, came up through the system, never got a grind, CBS all the way, not only plenty of religion but plenty of hurling too!
    If you think about it almost every GP and solicitor in the country, all the high court judges etc all came through the system!
    Opinions please!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

How do people who allege that too much time is spent on religion explain all the PHDs our education system has produced
    My brother for example, not terribly clever at all, came up through the system, never got a grind, CBS all the way, not only plenty of religion but plenty of hurling too!
    If you think about it almost every GP and solicitor in the country, all the high court judges etc all came through the system!
    Opinions please!

Maybe we might produce even more PHD's with less time spent on religion ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Opinions please!

The quality of Irish education is not in doubt. Do you think the curriculum is the preserve of Catholic schools? My daughter didn't do religion and is doing law now. That's down to her own hard work, good lay teachers and supportive family. The ethos of the school is irrelevant.

marienbad wrote: »
    Maybe we might produce even more PHD's with less time spent on religion ?

Maybe we might produce even less PhD's with less time spent on religion. I would suggest that there is insufficient data to make a determination either way, as there are far more many factors involved than just the religion aspect of either the primary or secondary school a student attends, that will determine the outcome of their education.

The ethos of the school as a whole will likely be a more determinant factor in judging whether or not the ethos of the school is a determinant factor in the student achievements and the school's performance as a whole. It simply can't really be judged at an individual level as some students may excel, where others may not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Your still going to stand right up there and promise that you will baptise them
    In front of everybody
    Including Granny
    Cos there was never any hypocrisy in the Catholic church before was there?
    No "celibate" priests with housekeepers sharing their beds - nor those same priests lecturing young engaged couples about the evils of sex before marriage for instance. I'd say if there was any smiting of hypocrites the day of the wedding the groom might not be the first one hit! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

volchitsa wrote: »
    Cos there was never any hypocrisy in the Catholic church before was there?
    No "celibate" priests with housekeepers sharing their beds - nor those same priests lecturing young engaged couples about the evils of sex before marriage for instance. I'd say if there was any smiting of hypocrites the day of the wedding the groom might not be the first one hit! :rolleyes:

That's whataboutery. Doesn't change the fact that uneccessarily telling lies on your wedding day in front of all your loved ones doesn't reflect well on your character

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭volchitsa

That's whataboutery. Doesn't change the fact that uneccessarily telling lies on your wedding day in front of all your loved ones doesn't reflect well on your character

It's not whataboutery to point out that the catholic church only continues to function in large part thanks to hypocrisy at all levels. Picking one particular example to focus on in the way you have (nobody asked you to bring that in here after all) is just another example of that. Another example of "Christian" ethics in application : nasty, mean-minded and hypocritical.

volchitsa wrote: »
    It's not whataboutery to point out that the catholic church only continues to function in large part thanks to hypocrisy at all levels. Picking one particular example to focus on in the way you have (nobody asked you to bring that in here after all) is just another example of that. Another example of "Christian" ethics in application : nasty, mean-minded and hypocritical.

Is that not how wider society continues to function anyway? In large part thanks to hypocrisy at all levels? It seems redundant then to pick one particular example to focus on in the way you have done. I would suggest though that's just an example of human nature in action. Whether it's nasty, mean-minded and hypocritical, well, I'll leave that up to you to judge for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Is that not how wider society continues to function anyway? In large part thanks to hypocrisy at all levels? It seems redundant then to pick one particular example to focus on in the way you have done. I would suggest though that's just an example of human nature in action. Whether it's nasty, mean-minded and hypocritical, well, I'll leave that up to you to judge for yourself.

Let's just call a spade a spade then and admit that the Catholic faith is no longer what it used to be so let's have a country that reflects that.

Advertisement