Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Separating Church & State , Why does it Matter ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

eviltwin wrote: »
    Let's just call a spade a spade then and admit that the Catholic faith is no longer what it used to be so let's have a country that reflects that.

It isn't what it used to be, and I see that as a good thing, and we do have a country that reflects that. We also have a country in which, seeing as we're calling a spade a spade - people are still as judgemental of other people as they ever were. I'd rather we do something about that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Is that not how wider society continues to function anyway? In large part thanks to hypocrisy at all levels? It seems redundant then to pick one particular example to focus on in the way you have done. I would suggest though that's just an example of human nature in action. Whether it's nasty, mean-minded and hypocritical, well, I'll leave that up to you to judge for yourself.

Very clever, ha ha. Two problems with your attempt at projecting that onto me though : I'm not the one who crossthreaded specifically to start calling someone hypocritical - though of course you have no beef with the poster who did - so my objection is not about incomplete disclosure per se, but about someone getting exercised about one example while simultaneously ignoring worse ones. What you're doing in fact. :)

And secondly, and more importantly, the problem with a member of the clergy being hypocritical and not practising what he preaches is that it negates his role completely. It's not like some random person on internet being a little dishonest, because the catholic church claims to have a special insight into ethics and morality.

But you're well aware of that of course, and have just decided to have a go at me instead. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Maybe we might produce even less PhD's with less time spent on religion. I would suggest that there is insufficient data to make a determination either way, as there are far more many factors involved than just the religion aspect of either the primary or secondary school a student attends, that will determine the outcome of their education.

The ethos of the school as a whole will likely be a more determinant factor in judging whether or not the ethos of the school is a determinant factor in the student achievements and the school's performance as a whole. It simply can't really be judged at an individual level as some students may excel, where others may not.

Why just one religion then , how is it any different to the Tithes we found so objectionable in the past ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

people are still as judgemental of other people as they ever were. I'd rather we do something about that tbh.

As do I. And one good move towards that is to have an all inclusive school system and curriculum, entirely blind in its admission process to sex, creed, race, religion and other arbitrary distinctions of this sort, which does not teach any religion as true, or superior, and in fact has little to do with religion or the ethos of any religion..... except to teach the Bible as Literature, Religious history in history class, the the facts and realities of religion in a world religions or world cultures class.

When we have that, we will have less reasons to judge "the other" because there will be less reasons to have a concept of "the other".

There is simply no place for unsubstantiated religious nonsense in our halls of education, power, politics or science. Keep hobbies in the related club houses and our of the secular public sphere. THAT is an ideal worth working towards and fighting hard for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

volchitsa wrote: »
    It's not whataboutery to point out that the catholic church only continues to function in large part thanks to hypocrisy at all levels. Picking one particular example to focus on in the way you have (nobody asked you to bring that in here after all) is just another example of that. Another example of "Christian" ethics in application : nasty, mean-minded and hypocritical.

Your the one who brought my post from way back here and quoted it completely out of context when the thread had evolved in a different direction
    In what way is it mean and hypocritical? It's the truth! If you don't like it then that's your problem not mine
    Also, I didn't realise that I had to wait to be invited, by you, to post in this thread
    Your attitude is interesting, and quite telling

• Advertisement

Very clever, ha ha. Two problems with your attempt at projecting that onto me though : I'm not the one who crossthreaded specifically to start calling someone hypocritical - though of course you have no beef with the poster who did - so my objection is not about incomplete disclosure per se, but about someone getting exercised about one example while simultaneously ignoring worse ones. What you're doing in fact. :)

And secondly, and more importantly, the problem with a member of the clergy being hypocritical and not practising what he preaches is that it negates his role completely. It's not like some random person on internet being a little dishonest, because the catholic church claims to have a special insight into ethics and morality.

But you're well aware of that of course, and have just decided to have a go at me instead. :)

I'm not having a go at you at all (in all fairness, I'm hypocrisied up to my eyeball!), and I wasn't trying to be clever either. I neither have a beef with you or the other poster. I wasn't aware of the cross-posting going on as both posts are actually in the same thread?

I agree with you about a member of the clergy failing to practice what they preach, and it does shed his role in a rather unfavourable light (not sure he should be smited for it though, seems a bit nuclear), but I wouldn't go pointing out anyone's hypocrisy just because they started it first. That, to me at least, would be the opposite of what I might try to achieve. In those circumstances I would understand that underneath all the pomp and circumstance, they're just as human as I am, no need to go nuclear on their ass (metaphorically speaking anyway!).

I personally wouldn't say that the religious have any more insight into ethics and morality than people who are non-religious either. I would suggest that anyone, be they religious or non-religious, who claims to have a special insight into ethics and morality, is the kind of person that's best avoided, regardless of the circumstances under which they judge themselves to hold the moral high ground over anyone else!

As do I.

Excellent. Then we should start with ourselves first!

And one good move towards that is to have an all inclusive school system and curriculum, entirely blind in its admission process to sex, creed, race, religion and other arbitrary distinctions of this sort, which does not teach any religion as true, or superior, and in fact has little to do with religion or the ethos of any religion..... except to teach the Bible as Literature, Religious history in history class, the the facts and realities of religion in a world religions or world cultures class.

When we have that, we will have less reasons to judge "the other" because there will be less reasons to have a concept of "the other".

There is simply no place for unsubstantiated religious nonsense in our halls of education, power, politics or science. Keep hobbies in the related club houses and our of the secular public sphere. THAT is an ideal worth working towards and fighting hard for.

Not exactly the flying start I was hoping for as you still view those people of faith as "other". But you started off well intentioned anyway and that's the main thing I suppose I should take from your post. We may share the same goals, but it's just different ideas of going about our aims for a society where people are less judgemental of each other is all.

marienbad wrote: »
    Why just one religion then , how is it any different to the Tithes we found so objectionable in the past ?

I'm not sure what you mean by just one religion? There are a couple of different religious ethos schools in Ireland? They do their thing and the RCC does their thing and well, the non-religious do their thing too. Some of them choose religious ethos schools for their children's education and they appear at least to have done pretty well out of it. Some people choose a non-religious ethos for their children's education and they appear to have done pretty well out of it too!

I personally wouldn't advocate for one type of education over another as there are simply too many variables and factors to be able to quantify anything conclusive as to which type of education is better for the individual than another. I'd sooner leave it to the parents to make that choice for their children themselves as to what type of education they believe is in their children's best interests.

I'm not sure what tithes have to do with anything other than people practically falling over themselves to give as much as they could to the Church so that they could appear to be morally superior to their neighbours. That still goes on today, but it's something that people choose to do, and I'm not going to judge them too harshly for it, I just choose not to participate in the practice myself. I never have done and I never will as the RCC Hierarchy at least have far more wealth than they need to be so bold as to preach to anyone about the value of humility. As funky as some of my religious beliefs may be, that one just beggars belief altogether!

I'm not having a go at you at all (in all fairness, I'm hypocrisied up to my eyeball!), and I wasn't trying to be clever either. I neither have a beef with you or the other poster. I wasn't aware of the cross-posting going on as both posts are actually in the same thread?
    Not sure what you mean. What I originally responded to was post number 2 on this thread, and the OP had not mentioned a wedding, so the poster was quite clearly crossthreading :
    But your going to a church to avail of the RCC sacrament of marriage.
    Your going to stand up in front of all your loved ones family and friends on the biggest day of your life and solemnly promise to bring up any children you have as Roman Catholics
    do you not think that's absolutely ridiculous ?
    The hypocrisy is actually breathtaking
    And this is post 6, where the OP makes the same point - post 2 was nothing more than cross threading to have a go at the OP. That's banned, btw, isn't it?
    I've addressed the wedding thing before on the other thread , i didn't want to get married in a church i wanted to go abroad

This thread isn't about my wedding its about why you want to see change in the influence the Church has here and why it matters to you.

But perhaps in your eagerness to have a go at me you missed what I was actually responding to? I didn't bring in the accusation of hypocrisy, that was the poster I was responding to. I just pointed out that it was odd to fixate on the OP's alleged hypocrisy in the circumstances.

I agree with you about a member of the clergy failing to practice what they preach, and it does shed his role in a rather unfavourable light (not sure he should be smited for it though, seems a bit nuclear), but I wouldn't go pointing out anyone's hypocrisy just because they started it first. That, to me at least, would be the opposite of what I might try to achieve. In those circumstances I would understand that underneath all the pomp and circumstance, they're just as human as I am, no need to go nuclear on their ass (metaphorically speaking anyway!).

I personally wouldn't say that the religious have any more insight into ethics and morality than people who are non-religious either. I would suggest that anyone, be they religious or non-religious, who claims to have a special insight into ethics and morality, is the kind of person that's best avoided, regardless of the circumstances under which they judge themselves to hold the moral high ground over anyone else!

Thanks for the advice. Not that I asked for it, but I'm sure it was well meant. But you're quite simply wrong to imply that the church doesn't claim to have a special insight into morality, it most certainly does. It's the very essence of the catholic religion and thus its clergy. Unlike the OP who makes no such equivalent claim.

Excellent. Then we should start with ourselves first!

Depends. I was addressing unwarranted and useless distinctions and judgement. The world is full of those. The married judging the single. The parent judging the child free. The bottle feeder judging the breast feeder. The loner crank judging the people who hold hands. The drinker judging the tee totaler. The Muslim judging the Christian. The black judging the White.

It is that form of judgement and "other" the world needs less or none of. This is NOT in any way the same as a robust clashing of discourse in Idea Space. Nothing wrong with that. In fact the world needs more of it, not less. Because where communication and debate and discourse stop crossing borders, armies do.
    Not exactly the flying start I was hoping for as you still view those people of faith as "other".

Nice of you to tell me what my view is, especially when you do so erroneously. I in fact have no such view of people of faith as being "the other". I have strong views on how and where they should be expressing that faith however. MASSIVELY different thing. Not small. MASSIVE.
    But you started off well intentioned anyway and that's the main thing I suppose I should take from your post.

And I continue to be, which you should take away from it too. Nothing I have said negates the intentions you seem to have picked up on in the start of the post.
    We may share the same goals, but it's just different ideas of going about our aims for a society where people are less judgemental of each other is all.

Alas religion is inherently divisive. A trait we can not simply wish away or ignore. Which is why having a state and school system and curriculum that is entirely blind to it when judging or treating it's citizens is the ideal I feel most worth striving for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I'm not sure what you mean by just one religion? There are a couple of different religious ethos schools in Ireland? They do their thing and the RCC does their thing and well, the non-religious do their thing too. Some of them choose religious ethos schools for their children's education and they appear at least to have done pretty well out of it. Some people choose a non-religious ethos for their children's education and they appear to have done pretty well out of it too!

I personally wouldn't advocate for one type of education over another as there are simply too many variables and factors to be able to quantify anything conclusive as to which type of education is better for the individual than another. I'd sooner leave it to the parents to make that choice for their children themselves as to what type of education they believe is in their children's best interests.

I'm not sure what tithes have to do with anything other than people practically falling over themselves to give as much as they could to the Church so that they could appear to be morally superior to their neighbours. That still goes on today, but it's something that people choose to do, and I'm not going to judge them too harshly for it, I just choose not to participate in the practice myself. I never have done and I never will as the RCC Hierarchy at least have far more wealth than they need to be so bold as to preach to anyone about the value of humility. As funky as some of my religious beliefs may be, that one just beggars belief altogether!

Tithes were where the majority catholic population were made to pay a tax for the upkeep of the Established church .

The education budget is paid for by the state and is in effect a grant to run RCC ethos school system irrespective of the wishes and needs of non believers .

And please don't say Educate Together gives the lie to that . Is simply not practical to offer that choice nation wide within the current system .
    This is further exacerbated because a large number of entrants to the Educate Together schools are RCC .

Not sure what you mean. What I originally responded to was post number 2 on this thread, and the OP had not mentioned a wedding, so the poster was quite clearly crossthreading :

And this is post 6, where the OP makes the same point - post 2 was nothing more than cross threading to have a go at the OP. That's banned, btw, isn't it?

When you said crossthreading, I understand that to mean taking something someone posted in another thread, from that thread, and quoting it the current thread. I don't know if it's banned or not, but referring to posts made previously doesn't seem to be banned. I think that only refers to cross-forum posting, and even then there appears to be a fair bit of leeway.

But perhaps in your eagerness to have a go at me you missed what I was actually responding to? I didn't bring in the accusation of hypocrisy, that was the poster I was responding to. I just pointed out that it was odd to fixate on the OP's alleged hypocrisy in the circumstances.

I'm not having a go at you at all...

:confused:

Thanks for the advice. Not that I asked for it, but I'm sure it was well meant. But you're quite simply wrong to imply that the church doesn't claim to have a special insight into morality, it most certainly does. It's the very essence of the catholic religion and thus its clergy. Unlike the OP who makes no such equivalent claim.

I didn't offer any advice, I consider it an insult unless advice is sought. You didn't appear to be seeking any so I didn't give any. I did give my opinion on what I do under those circumstances though. I don't expect either that you should apply my standards to yourself. It has no chance of a successful outcome as we're two very different individuals.

I didn't imply either that the Church doesn't claim to have any special insight into morality. In fact I thought I made it specifically clear that nobody actually has any special insight into morality (and I include the Church in that statement). But like I would anyone who claims to have a special insight into morality, I'd just avoid them, as they clearly have a different understanding of morality to one I would hold. Different standards of morality does not mean that anyone actually has any special insight into either morality or ethics, they just have different standards. Not quite the same thing, and claiming they actually have any special insight into morality is not solely the preserve of the religious or the Church or anyone for that matter.

I wouldn't try to stop them making those claims though, I'll just avoid them. Whatever you choose to do, well, that's your own business.

Tithes were where the majority catholic population were made to pay a tax for the upkeep of the Established church .

I'm not so sure tithes were ever an obligatory tax with regard to Roman Catholicism at least. I am aware of the statute in Canon Law that says people should give what they can afford to the Church. People historically and even now appear to take that to it's extreme, but that's not quite the same thing as tithes in a completely different context as taxes.

The education budget is paid for by the state and is in effect a grant to run RCC ethos school system irrespective of the wishes and needs of non believers.

But those grants are available to any patron body who meet the criteria for those grants, to run their ethos school system. I wouldn't say that they are grants for any patron body to run their school system irrespective of the wishes and needs of anyone tbh. The Constituton, legislation, and certainly the Department of Education, makes certain provisions in that regard.

And please don't say Educate Together gives the lie to that . Is simply not practical to offer that choice nation wide within the current system .
    This is further exacerbated because a large number of entrants to the Educate Together schools are RCC .

I won't, because I actually pointed it out myself earlier that a large number of entrants to the Educate Together schools are RCC:

That's the problem though, that's why I said it's failed in it's efforts to be all things to all people. It was meant to accommodate families like your own who aren't RC, as they hadn't expected parents who identify as RC would want to send their children to a school that didn't have a RC ethos.

The problem is now that because they don't discriminate, the schools are mostly filled with the children of parents who identify as RC, and children who aren't RC still can't get in - their parents don't want to enrol them in an RC school, and they can't get them into an ET school, leaving them in a rock and a hard place situation.

I also said earlier:

More variety and choice are good for people, but arguing that the outcomes of one choice are better than the other, well, isn't that the fundamental point of personal choice? That each and every person is entitled to decide for themselves, free from the judgement of other people?

At least that's what I thought was the fundamental point of secularism anyway?

Depends. I was addressing unwarranted and useless distinctions and judgement. The world is full of those. The married judging the single. The parent judging the child free. The bottle feeder judging the breast feeder. The loner crank judging the people who hold hands. The drinker judging the tee totaler. The Muslim judging the Christian. The black judging the White.

The only thing passing judgement upon other people depends on, is the person passing judgement on other people. That such a person is unable to restrain themselves from passing judgement upon other people, says more about them than it does about the person they're passing judgement upon. I try to restrict my passing judgement upon other people with whom I disagree. It isn't always easy and sometimes I do fail in that regard. It doesn't reflect well on a person IMO that they are almost obsessive about passing judgement upon other people who do not share their world view.

It is that form of judgement and "other" the world needs less or none of. This is NOT in any way the same as a robust clashing of discourse in Idea Space. Nothing wrong with that. In fact the world needs more of it, not less. Because where communication and debate and discourse stop crossing borders, armies do.

A difference of opinion is one thing. Passing judgement upon people who disagree with one's opinion, is something else entirely. That's neither robust discourse nor effective communication. It's just judgement, and judgement has never yet been shown to be an effective tool in communications where the idea is an attempt at greater understanding of people whose world views differ from our own.

Nice of you to tell me what my view is, especially when you do so erroneously. I in fact have no such view of people of faith as being "the other". I have strong views on how and where they should be expressing that faith however. MASSIVELY different thing. Not small. MASSIVE.

But you do? How else are you able to distinguish between people of faith and people of no faith? If they aren't one, then they're surely the other? As it turns out, one would expect that people of faith have strong views of their own on how and where they should be expressing their faith, and it should come as no surprise that faith formation would take place in an environment where they express their faith. They have a Constitutionally protected right to do so that equates with anyone's Constitutionally protected right to being free from being coerced to do so. I would never support anyone who would try and deny those fundamental human rights to anyone, regardless of their world view or philosophy.

And I continue to be, which you should take away from it too. Nothing I have said negates the intentions you seem to have picked up on in the start of the post.

I think you're engaging in doublespeak there, as it appears to be your intent to deny people of faith their Constitutionally protected right, their human right, to freedom of expression, and freedom of religion, and the freedom to manifest their religion in a way in which is appropriate to their understanding of their faith.

Alas religion is inherently divisive. A trait we can not simply wish away or ignore. Which is why having a state and school system and curriculum that is entirely blind to it when judging or treating it's citizens is the ideal I feel most worth striving for.

I would suggest it is human nature that is divisive. A trait which I would suggest we cannot simply wish away or ignore, based on the fact that if it wasn't religion, we would be divided over something else, much of which you suggested at the beginning of your post. Religion doesn't have to be divisive. It can also bring people together in communion with each other. It depends upon how you look at it really.

Even beyond religion, it is impossible to achieve a society where everyone is blind to differences amongst us, and that is something which we cannot simply wish away or ignore. What we can do however, is acknowledge those differences, and appreciate other people for their diversity and the contribution they make to making our society what it is. It doesn't have to be a society where people are divided. It could just as easily be a society where everyone feels included, and everyone feels that they have something to bring to the table, if that actually is the kind of society you strive for.

When you said crossthreading, I understand that to mean taking something someone posted in another thread, from that thread, and quoting it the current thread. I don't know if it's banned or not, but referring to posts made previously doesn't seem to be banned. I think that only refers to cross-forum posting, and even then there appears to be a fair bit of leeway.

:confused:
    Dragging stuff in from other threads when it's not directly relevant is definitely against the rules, with or without a quote. I'm certain of it because someone was recently told by a mod to stop doing it.

In this case, the alleged hypocrisy of a poster for having a church wedding certainly is totally irrelevant in a discussion about separation of church and state.

And I'm going to leave that particular subject at that, as we're also pretty far off-topic ourselves here.
    I didn't offer any advice, I consider it an insult unless advice is sought. You didn't appear to be seeking any so I didn't give any. I did give my opinion on what I do under those circumstances though.
    So if someone did ask for advice, and I replied with "Well, what I would I do is....", you would believe I had failed to offer any advice? Seriously?

Using the first person instead of the second doesn't change the fact that since no-one asked you what you would do, and it was irrelevant to the main subject of the discussion, then you were effectively telling me off.

Yes it is rude and you did do it. Pretending you didn't is adding cowardice to your "standards"
    I don't expect either that you should apply my standards to yourself. It has no chance of a successful outcome as we're two very different individuals.

Well since you insist on telling us, unasked, what your standards are, I imagine you'll forgive me for telling you that your "standards" do not appear to me to be either honest or coherent.
    I didn't imply either that the Church doesn't claim to have any special insight into morality. In fact I thought I made it specifically clear that nobody actually has any special insight into morality (and I include the Church in that statement). But like I would anyone who claims to have a special insight into morality, I'd just avoid them, as they clearly have a different understanding of morality to one I would hold. Different standards of morality does not mean that anyone actually has any special insight into either morality or ethics, they just have different standards. Not quite the same thing, and claiming they actually have any special insight into morality is not solely the preserve of the religious or the Church or anyone for that matter.

I wouldn't try to stop them making those claims though, I'll just avoid them. Whatever you choose to do, well, that's your own business.
    what you think about the church is a matter of indifference to me, and I don't know why you feel the need to repeat it, that was never relevant. What matters is that the church claims to have special insight. You say you accept that they do, so all the rest of your lecture to me becomes completely pointless.

Though I do have one question about the end of your post : what other person or organization claims to have special understanding of morality in the way pretty much all organized religions do? To the extent of being uniquely positioned to teach it to children, for example?

Because apart from specialists in moral philosophy (who - by definition - "specialize" in the subject, but there are very few of them, and they don't also claim to be able to run hospitals and charities as well!), I can't think of any.

The only thing passing judgement upon other people depends on, is the person passing judgement on other people.

Then bring it up with the people doing so. I am not. I pass judgement on peoples ideas and claims. Nothing more. Sure, some people conflate ideas with the people who hold them. I do not, because that is an error. If someone wishes me to pass judgement on them, or tell them what I think of them, I am more than happy to do so if asked.
    A difference of opinion is one thing. Passing judgement upon people who disagree with one's opinion, is something else entirely.

Then I repeat, take it up with the people doing that. It has nothing to do with me or anything I have said or done.
    But you do?

No. I dont. I just told you that. It is one think erroneously assigning views to me that I do not hold. It is an entirely different thing to repeat to do so after being corrected on it. That is neither clever, useful, or honest.
    How else are you able to distinguish between people of faith and people of no faith?

I distinguish individuals based on the claims they make, and how (and sometinmes IF) they substantiate or support them. I do not need to distinguish between people of faith and people of no faith. I do distinguish between EXPRESSIONS of that faith in the real world. The majority of people of faith are no different to me that people of no faith. Because their faith is private, personal, and irrelevant to me.

When faith enters our halls of power, education, science and so forth.... that is where I have an issue. And I repeat the distinction you are willfully missing here: That is not distinguishing people into "us and them" or "me and the other". That is distinguishing IDEAS in idea space and how they are expressed and presented in the real world.
    They have a Constitutionally protected right to do so that equates with anyone's Constitutionally protected right to being free from being coerced to do so.

And in a world with a fully secular state and education system and curriculum then people would be entirely free of having faith forced on them, just as they would be entirely free to go to, or form, their own club houses to engage in their "faith formation".

There is no reasons on offer, least of all from anyone on this thread, to have the state, schools, or curriculum involved in this in ANY way at all.
    I think you're engaging in doublespeak there, as it appears to be your intent to deny people of faith their Constitutionally protected right, their human right, to freedom of expression, and freedom of religion, and the freedom to manifest their religion in a way in which is appropriate to their understanding of their faith.

Then your impression of double speak comes, as per usual with you, from assigning positions to me I do not actually in any way hold, and making assumptions about me that are false.

I have nothing.... read it again so it sinks in for once.... nothing against people having faith or expressing it. But there is a time and a place for doing so, and not doing so, and the state, the schools and the curriculum should have no part in it.
    I would suggest it is human nature that is divisive.

That too, and I do not see anything in my posts wishing it away or ignoring it. But religion exacerbates that because it is itself inherently divisive. On many levels and in many ways. The best we can do is work against the anti social aspects of our nature, and combat things that work against those ideals. Such as religion. Especially things that either do not offer any use or utility, or things that do not offer use or utility that can not be attained less divisively or problematically by others means.

And I can think of nothing, and no one on this forum has ever offer me anything, that it that useful or beneficial in religion. What things have been offered me end up either not being really anything to do with religion in the first place, or there are better ways to attain them without religion, without the damages or costs of religion.

Then bring it up with the people doing so. I am not. I pass judgement on peoples ideas and claims. Nothing more. Sure, some people conflate ideas with the people who hold them. I do not, because that is an error. If someone wishes me to pass judgement on them, or tell them what I think of them, I am more than happy to do so if asked.

Then I repeat, take it up with the people doing that. It has nothing to do with me or anything I have said or done.

It was more of a general commentary, I hadn't meant for you to take it as though it was directed at you personally.

No. I dont. I just told you that. It is one think erroneously assigning views to me that I do not hold. It is an entirely different thing to repeat to do so after being corrected on it. That is neither clever, useful, or honest.

I distinguish individuals based on the claims they make, and how (and sometinmes IF) they substantiate or support them. I do not need to distinguish between people of faith and people of no faith. I do distinguish between EXPRESSIONS of that faith in the real world. The majority of people of faith are no different to me that people of no faith. Because their faith is private, personal, and irrelevant to me.

When faith enters our halls of power, education, science and so forth.... that is where I have an issue. And I repeat the distinction you are willfully missing here: That is not distinguishing people into "us and them" or "me and the other". That is distinguishing IDEAS in idea space and how they are expressed and presented in the real world.

That whole thing, I can see where you're coming from, but it just appears very contradictory to me is all. I will admit that I'm not able to grasp the idea and that it is my fault as I see things very differently and I just don't think that's likely to change.

And in a world with a fully secular state and education system and curriculum then people would be entirely free of having faith forced on them, just as they would be entirely free to go to, or form, their own club houses to engage in their "faith formation".

But they do that already? RC schools exist and would continue to exist because people want to send their children to RC schools. They have formed their own clubhouses. They just have a lot more clubhouses than other clubs, because that's where most parents choose to send their children. Other clubs don't have as many clubhouses because the demand simply isn't there! It would be impractical for the State to fund the provision of a school for one child in Roscommon for example, and another school for one child in Kerry. Have you read the document I linked to earlier in which the State was deemed to be fulfilling it's obligations by providing transport for the children to other schools while their own school was closed? That's the States' idea of "practicable". Go figure!

The State isn't going to turn on it's head and take property from religious organisations and justify it by suggesting it's in the public interest. There would be a national outcry, and politicians know this, and the Forum on Pluralism and Patronage knows this, and anyone with any interest in education should know this. You might as well be pissing into the wind for all the good it'll do trying to change the system from outside and top down. I think we've had this discussion before that change has to come from the inside and the bottom up.

There is no reasons on offer, least of all from anyone on this thread, to have the state, schools, or curriculum involved in this in ANY way at all.

The reason is simple - because it's what people want. If they didn't want it, they would want to change it themselves, rather than leaving it up to a small group of volunteers who campaign for the State to provide the type of education that they claim the majority of people in this country want.

Then your impression of double speak comes, as per usual with you, from assigning positions to me I do not actually in any way hold, and making assumptions about me that are false.

I do apologise for making assumptions about you that you don't hold, but I'm struggling with a few issues that aren't fully clear to me, and I don't mean to be rude but i feel like I'm being fobbed off with a lot of words and argument that are quite frankly beyond my comprehension. That does tend to get frustrating when I am at least trying to get a better understanding of where you're coming from.

I have nothing.... read it again so it sinks in for once.... nothing against people having faith or expressing it. But there is a time and a place for doing so, and not doing so, and the state, the schools and the curriculum should have no part in it.

The State has to have a part in it, the schools have to have a part in it, and the curriculum, well, that appears to be the only place where there is likely any room for negotiation.

That too, and I do not see anything in my posts wishing it away or ignoring it. But religion exacerbates that because it is itself inherently divisive. On many levels and in many ways. The best we can do is work against the anti social aspects of our nature, and combat things that work against those ideals. Such as religion. Especially things that either do not offer any use or utility, or things that do not offer use or utility that can not be attained less divisively or problematically by others means.

Well like i mentioned earlier - it's how you look at it, and when i look at religion, i see the complete opposite of what you're seeing. I consider politics far more divisive, but only an anarchist would suggest we remove politics from society, which is a political position in and of itself. I would suggest that it is far more useful to remove the corrupt element of anything, rather than throw the baby out with the bathwater.

And I can think of nothing, and no one on this forum has ever offer me anything, that it that useful or beneficial in religion. What things have been offered me end up either not being really anything to do with religion in the first place, or there are better ways to attain them without religion, without the damages or costs of religion.

I've tried a few, shall we say, "experimental" ways in which i could derive the same contentment as I do from religion, and I understand that consistency is key and so on, but I only ever came to the conclusion that fighting to be someone i wasn't, or something I wasn't, was a futile exercise that only led to more misery, and not just for myself, but for those people around me that i cared about. So I figured, well, why am I ashamed of my faith? Why not embrace it and use it to do good in my life and to make other people happy, which makes me happy? There isn't a better way for me to attain happiness both for other people and for myself, by denying who and what I am, because I thought it was something, I was something, that I should be ashamed of. Learning that, did come at great damage, and great cost to me, but having accepted that which I cannot change, and that I have no need to be ashamed of, I'm a much happier person for it, and those people around me that I care about, are much happier. That may never be good enough reason for you to accept that religion has it's benefits, but I can accept that we're unlikely ever to see eye to eye so to speak on our difference of opinion.

Dragging stuff in from other threads when it's not directly relevant is definitely against the rules[/b], with or without a quote. I'm certain of it because someone was recently told by a mod to stop doing it.

In this case, the alleged hypocrisy of a poster for having a church wedding certainly is totally irrelevant in a discussion about separation of church and state.

And I'm going to leave that particular subject at that, as we're also pretty far off-topic ourselves here.

In that case, I don't see how the poster broke the rules as it is directly relevant because the clergy are registered marriage solemnisers with the State? I didn't know about the dragging stuff up from other threads being prohibited, hence I never thought to report it before, but then if it was directly related, I'd have to try and argue that it wasn't. That could be a problem.

So if someone did ask for advice, and I replied with "Well, what I would I do is....", you would believe I had failed to offer any advice? Seriously?

Using the first person instead of the second doesn't change the fact that since no-one asked you what you would do, and it was irrelevant to the main subject of the discussion, then you were effectively telling me off.

Yes it is rude and you did do it. Pretending you didn't is adding cowardice to your "standards"

If someone asks me for advice, I don't tell them what I would do, I tell them what they could do. I wasn't telling you off by asking you a question, and explaining why I was asking the question. If I had wanted to be rude I would have asked you how do you get through the day with your knickers bunched up like that? That would be rude.

Well since you insist on telling us, unasked, what your standards are, I imagine you'll forgive me for telling you that your "standards" do not appear to me to be either honest or coherent.

You're forgiven.

what you think about the church is a matter of indifference to me, and I don't know why you feel the need to repeat it, that was never relevant. What matters is that the church claims to have special insight. You say you accept that they do, so all the rest of your lecture to me becomes completely pointless.

Are you aware of the 'ignore' function? I find it quite useful myself, not that I'm advising you should use it, I'm just asking are you aware of it?

Though I do have one question about the end of your post : what other person or organization claims to have special understanding of morality in the way pretty much all organized religions do? To the extent of being uniquely positioned to teach it to children, for example?

Because apart from specialists in moral philosophy (who - by definition - "specialize" in the subject, but there are very few of them, and they don't also claim to be able to run hospitals and charities as well!), I can't think of any.

There are quite a few people whom I can think of that would claim to have a special understanding of ethics and morality, it just means that they imagine themselves to be morally superior to other people. I get that a lot from people who claim I am either dishonest, or cowardly. I have to correct them (which is not giving them advice), that the word they're looking for is 'hypocrite'. It's not an insult when it's factually correct.

But they do that already? RC schools exist and would continue to exist because people want to send their children to RC schools. They have formed their own clubhouses. They just have a lot more clubhouses than other clubs, because that's where most parents choose to send their children. Other clubs don't have as many clubhouses because the demand simply isn't there! It would be impractical for the State to fund the provision of a school for one child in Roscommon for example, and another school for one child in Kerry.
    There is a conflation here between faith formation (clubhouses) and general education. Most people don't send their children to catholic schools to teach them to be Catholics, they send them for a myriad of reasons, often entirely unrelated to actual Catholic theology.

The reason is simple - because it's what people want. If they didn't want it, they would want to change it themselves, rather than leaving it up to a small group of volunteers who campaign for the State to provide the type of education that they claim the majority of people in this country want.

That's a dishonest argument, and I don't think anyone can fail to be aware of that fact. It would be completely delusional to say that if we were setting up a school system now that we would choose anything like the current religious set up.

The reality is that most parents don't have the means to set up a school, or to homeschool, and most, as I said above, send their children to existing schools not to have them indoctrinated in a particular faith, and in some cases despite it. In reality the indoctrination is a side effect of the fact that religious bodies were traditionally encouraged to run schools.

If parents wanted religious schools so as to have religious teaching, we could have Sunday Schools as they do in the UK - and the effort of getting children out to them on a Sunday morning would be a far more realistic measure of whether parents actually want religious education or whether they just want schools that work without them having to set them up and run them themselves.

In that case, I don't see how the poster broke the rules as it is directly relevant because the clergy are registered marriage solemnisers with the State? I didn't know about the dragging stuff up from other threads being prohibited, hence I never thought to report it before, but then if it was directly related, I'd have to try and argue that it wasn't. That could be a problem.
    A poster starts a thread asking what people think about separation of church and state, and another poster launches into a diatribe about his alleged hypocrisy, and you think that is relevant? Seriously?

So can you explain how post 2 on this thread is relevant to the thread discussion please? All I see is a poster seizing the opportunity to launch a personal attack on the OP.

If someone asks me for advice, I don't tell them what I would do, I tell them what they could do. I wasn't telling you off by asking you a question, and explaining why I was asking the question. If I had wanted to be rude I would have asked you how do you get through the day with your knickers bunched up like that? That would be rude.
    Well now you're mostly being weird rather than rude. But I don't see how not making such a comment (though apparently you just did :rolleyes:) negates the rudeness of your earlier, equally thinly disguised, rudeness.
    Are you aware of the 'ignore' function? I find it quite useful myself, not that I'm advising you should use it, I'm just asking are you aware of it?
    You really are transparent though, aren't you? :rolleyes:
    There are quite a few people whom I can think of that would claim to have a special understanding of ethics and morality, it just means that they imagine themselves to be morally superior to other people. I get that a lot from people who claim I am either dishonest, or cowardly. I have to correct them (which is not giving them advice), that the word they're looking for is 'hypocrite'. It's not an insult when it's factually correct.
    I hope you don't imagine you're any less transparent here either. Subtlety isn't your strong point is it?

FWIW that doesn't respond to my point that religions, uniquely IME, declare themselves to be the holders of a level of insight into morality which it is their duty to teach to others, and silly cracks at other posters do not replace an acknowledgement of this particularity of religion.

• Advertisement

There is a conflation here between faith formation (clubhouses) and general education. Most people don't send their children to catholic schools to teach them to be Catholics, they send them for a myriad of reasons, often entirely unrelated to actual Catholic theology.

It's all education, there's no conflation necessary. You're making a conflation of your own between your opinion and other peoples motivations. You can't possibly know that most people who send their children to RC schools don't send them for faith formation (and religious education to boot!). You can only guess at other peoples motivations.

That's a dishonest argument, and I don't think anyone can fail to be aware of that fact. It would be completely delusional to say that if we were setting up a school system now that we would choose anything like the current religious set up.

It's hardly delusional when the education system in Ireland wasn't originally set up like it is now, and the idea that we can just scrap the current system because it doesn't suit you, well, without being rude about it, but I would see that idea as delusional.

The reality is that most parents don't have the means to set up a school, or to homeschool, and most, as I said above, send their children to existing schools not to have them indoctrinated in a particular faith, and in some cases despite it. In reality the indoctrination is a side effect of the fact that religious bodies were traditionally encouraged to run schools.

Except that's nothing like reality. Interesting spin on it though. If parents have the means to have children, they have the means to educate their children according to the minimum standard required by the State. In reality the majority of schools in this country are under the patronage of the Catholic Bishops is a side effect of the State outsourcing the provision of education to religious bodies who traditionally educated people already, throughout history, throughout the known world.

If parents wanted religious schools so as to have religious teaching, we could have Sunday Schools as they do in the UK - and the effort of getting children out to them on a Sunday morning would be a far more realistic measure of whether parents actually want religious education or whether they just want schools that work without them having to set them up and run them themselves.

But the religious ethos schools would continue to exist anyway, as the State is obliged to provide for the education of children? The existence of Sunday schools would have no effect on that whatsoever, as religion is supposed to be practiced outside the school anyway! Whether parents do, or don't do that, is entirely up to themselves, but if you're expecting them to pay for their children's education when the State provides for free education is a mystery to me. Why should they? I can understand why they wouldn't. Aren't we paying enough in taxes already to allow the State to provide for free education?

How are they any different to you really and what you want, except that there appears to be more people who support the current system than those who are campaigning to have it changed to a system that they think would be any better?

A poster starts a thread asking what people think about separation of church and state, and another poster launches into a diatribe about his alleged hypocrisy, and you think that is relevant? Seriously?

Yes, seriously.

So can you explain how post 2 on this thread is relevant to the thread discussion please? All I see is a poster seizing the opportunity to launch a personal attack on the OP.

This one?

But your going to a church to avail of the RCC sacrament of marriage.
    Your going to stand up in front of all your loved ones family and friends on the biggest day of your life and solemnly promise to bring up any children you have as Roman Catholics
    do you not think that's absolutely ridiculous ?
    The hypocrisy is actually breathtaking

The OP opened the door, and their hypocrisy was questioned. I'm not seeing what you're seeing there as an attack on the poster? You'd never do that volchista, would you?

Well now you're mostly being weird rather than rude. But I don't see how not making such a comment (though apparently you just did :rolleyes:) negates the rudeness of your earlier, equally thinly disguised, rudeness.

I didn't make any such comment. Maybe you missed the 'if', that is weird. I don't need to thinly disguise it when I'm being rude, it defeats the purpose.

You really are transparent though, aren't you? :rolleyes:

I make no attempt to be vague, so it seems pointless to interpret that as being transparent. I would hope I'm very transparent!

I hope you don't imagine you're any less transparent here either. Subtlety isn't your strong point is it?

Subtlety is simply the cowards way of disguising what they really want to say. I have far more respect for someone who is at least honest with me and treats me as their equal.

FWIW that doesn't respond to my point that religions, uniquely IME, declare themselves to be the holders of a level of insight into morality which it is their duty to teach to others, and silly cracks at other posters do not replace an acknowledgement of this particularity of religion.

But I've already agreed with you on that point, so why continue to bring it up? Let it go, and let's get this thread back on topic!

It was more of a general commentary, I hadn't meant for you to take it as though it was directed at you personally. That whole thing, I can see where you're coming from, but it just appears very contradictory to me is all. I will admit that I'm not able to grasp the idea and that it is my fault as I see things very differently and I just don't think that's likely to change.

But the issue, as ever, is that when you "see things differently" you do not actually present the basis or arguments for how you see it. You merely declare you see it differently, or that you see errors or contradictions, but never actually flesh out what you are saying.

I see no contradiction. Nor have you shown one. I distinguish strongly between people and ideas. I have been coining and pushing the term "idea Space" for awhile now (and love that Ive seen a few people on boards using it) to highlight this fact.

When I attack I attack ideas. Either ideas that I find bad, wrong or harmful.... or ideas that I have no actual problem with but are being used or expressed in the wrong time or place.

Religion I find to be unsubstantiated nonsense but I have no actual issue with it or people of faith. I have no "us and them" notion with people of faith and no faith. What I DO have issue with is religious ideas, ideology, or motivation showing up where it does not belong. Or when religious belief leads to harm, damage or unnecessary divisions.

I repeat, there is no good reason to have religion or religious ethos in our PUBLIC halls of power, education and science for example. Be it in the schools, the curriculum or both. There is no argument to have it there that I have heard, or that you have offered, other than essentially saying nothing more than "I want it so I should have it" which is about all I have distilled from your multiple posts over multiple threads on the topic.
    But they do that already?

Not how I mean it they don't do it already no. Once again I see no reason for religion or religious ethos to be in state run or funded schools. The idea I would work towards would be a society where no such thing exists. Faith formation or education should be kept to the club houses of people in that particular hobby.

Again, as I have said multiple times before, I have no issue at all with the formation of schools with a religious ethos or a religious curriculum. It just should have nothing to do with the state or public funds. Nor have you provided a single argument as to why it should be that way, other than to point out that it already is.
    It would be impractical for the State to fund the provision of a school for one child in Roscommon for example, and another school for one child in Kerry.

Then you must be overjoyed to find that I am proposing no such thing. As the ideal I envision is one where all the schools would be equal, blind to things like religion, sex, race etc, with a curriculum all children are expected to follow.

Anything on top of that, religion included, parents can do on their own time with any other hobbies they want to foist on their children.
    The reason is simple - because it's what people want.

Not a good enough reason in my view. I would still be waiting to hear their arguments for wanting it. If 65% of people tomorrow said they want the school curriculum to include a section on training children up to make it big on XFactor, I do not expect a sane society to suddenly go "Ok people want it, lets do it". I would expect a sane society to go "Ok people want this, so lets look at it and see if there is any good reason to give them what they want".

And as I keep pointing out, and your continued lack of arguments proves my point, there does not seem to be a SINGLE good argument for having it this way. There is just no reason there to have religion, or religious ethos in the schools. And we have multiple arguments and reasons to keep it out.... from the divisions it causes, to the ridiculous juggling of things like transport to get kids to schools that match the ethos of their parents, and so forth.

It brings absolutely nothing positive, a multitude of things negative, and "People want it" is just not a good argument to support that. Especially given there are alternatives to give the people what they want without the headaches. An alternative such as having a completely secular and religious ethos free all inclusive national school system and curriculum..... while parents can get everything they "want" by other means outside of that curriculum and those hours. Problem solved.

So no your reason is not simple, it is simplistic. An empty cop out of providing actual arguments as to the benefit of such systems or states of affairs.
    The State has to have a part in it, the schools have to have a part in it, and the curriculum, well, that appears to be the only place where there is likely any room for negotiation.

I do not see any reason, and I note you mentioned none here while asserting it, that it "has" to be so at all. Why does the state "have" to have anything to do with religion? Especially in the schools and curriculum? I see no reason why it "has" to be so. I just see that it "is" so. Not that it "has" to be.
    Well like i mentioned earlier - it's how you look at it, and when i look at religion, i see the complete opposite of what you're seeing.

I do not think you see the opposite of what I see, because I ALSO see what you see too. You said for example religion can bring some people together and I never dispute that. I agree with it. So do, for example, premier league football clubs. They bring people WITHIN any given following together. People meet friends, social support, and much more of benefit they might not otherwise find.

The same is true for religion. But what is also true for religion and football following is the animosity and distrust, sometimes even outright hatred and violence, it fosters BETWEEN followers of each. It fosters an in-group, out-group mentality that.... as you pointed out.... is already natural to humans but we have no cause to exacerbate.

So no I do not see the opposite of what you see. Quite the contrary, I see what you see AND MORE. I look at the big picture rather than cherry picking out the roses. And when I look at something I do not focus on the good OR the bad.... I focus on the overall cost v. benefit analysis.... and I look not only at the good, but the price we pay FOR that good.

Which is why I did not and never do just say "I see no good that comes from religion" but I also say "What good I do see, is not worth the cost we pay for it, given the same good can be attained by other means lest damaging or costly".

Religion does very little positive in this world, and what little it does do can (and often is) attained by other means less costly, and less damaging.

On top of all that however religion is more divisive than other things..... you gave the example of politics.... I could also give the example of racial differences..... because the more divorced from reality something is, the harder it is to reconcile divisions and differences of opinion within it.

With politics for example you could have a political difference of opinion but eventually studies, statistics, or retrospect will settle that difference. With things like racial differences, are sciences are now showing just how baseless such differences are.... that we are so alike between our races that if we were all dogs we would be the same breed of dog..... that those espousing racial differences no longer have a leg to stand on.

So while reconciliation is still hard to attain in those spheres, it is at least possible and a basis for it exists. Not so in religion. If you have a difference of opinion about the will of god there is no basis for reconciling that difference of opinion. There is no reason to even think there IS A GOD in the first place, so how could anyone reconcile a difference of opinion on it's desires or intentions? IT can not be done. If you put Andrew Sullivan and Bill OReilly.... both Catholics.... in a room and demand they reconcile their differences about gods opinion of homosexuality before they leave that room......... I think we can fully expect they are both going to die in that room.

So THAT is what I mean when I say religion is inherently divisive. In a way that does not justify your trying to parallel it to politics. Nor is your analogy between removing religion from society and removing politics from society a good one for that reason.

But no one IS suggesting removing it from society so the analogy is pointless in the first place. I do not envision, desire, or even want a society without religion or the religious. I would not say NO to one of course, but I do not particularly care enough to want one. I just want religion out of certain aspects and areas of society. Nothing more.

Quite the difference then huh? So while you worry about throwing the baby out with the bathwater..... without actually in any way identifying what the baby even IS in this case.......... nothing I suggest is against you having the bath, the water, and the baby. I am just suggesting you do not drag the bath out into the kitchen and keep it where it belongs and use it for what it is intended.
    I've tried a few, shall we say, "experimental" ways in which i could derive the same contentment as I do from religion

A lot of people do it with things like art, meditation, philosophy, investing oneself in humanity and society, spirituality and much more. None of which presuppose anything on insufficient evidence in order to function or benefit.

But that said you are talking here about personal benefit again and missing my point(s). I repeat NOTHING I write should be taken as applicable in ANY way to religion itself, people having religion or faith, or people having club houses for that particular hobby which they attend. I have nothing against ANY of that. At. All. Your hobby is catholicism and your club house in the church. The next guys hobby is manchester united and his club house is the pub with Sky Television and a beer tap. The next guys hobby is art and his club house the National Art Gallery. So on so on. All good stuff. No issue with me from ANY of this.

When I talk about benefit of religion I am talking about at a social societal level. If you can not derive any contentment in life from reality and need to do so by instead subscribing to entirely unsubstantiated nonsense and fairy tales then NOTHING I say or think is against that in any way. Have at it and more power to you.

I just see no sensible leap from THERE to things some people might think like "Therefore a particular religious ethos should permeate our national school curriculum, the facility presenting that school curriculum, or both" or "Therefore state funds or facilities should be used to promote, endorse or facilitate this particular hobby over any other".

It is THEN that I want to hear arguments as to the benefit of religion and I do not see any. They simply appear not to exist. As I said a few people have offered some before but they have either turned out to be A) Nothing to do with religion in the first place or B) Not actually beneficial things at all or C) things one might be able to admit to the benefit of in isolation, but NOT in the face of an analysis of the cost it brings to attain it or D) things we could (and usually do) also attain other ways without religion and all the associated harms and costs of it.

But the issue, as ever, is that when you "see things differently" you do not actually present the basis or arguments for how you see it. You merely declare you see it differently, or that you see errors or contradictions, but never actually flesh out what you are saying.

I simply see no need to expand on it when your arguments appear to me at least, to have no apparent grounding in reality. It's all lofty idealism and so forth, and granted, it makes for an interesting read at least, and I try to derive some value from it, but I simply cannot relate to your ideas at all, in any way, shape or form whatsoever unfortunately. I try to take your arguments seriously, but I just cannot relate to them.

I see no contradiction. Nor have you shown one. I distinguish strongly between people and ideas. I have been coining and pushing the term "idea Space" for awhile now (and love that Ive seen a few people on boards using it) to highlight this fact.

It just reads very contradictory to me is all. You're saying one thing one minute, and the next you're saying you're not saying the thing you appear to have said, and confusion sets in, and it's quite difficult then to follow what you are actually saying!

When I attack I attack ideas. Either ideas that I find bad, wrong or harmful.... or ideas that I have no actual problem with but are being used or expressed in the wrong time or place.

But that would only be a determination made by you that ideas are being used or expressed in the wrong time or place, and in a school with a Catholic ethos, those ideas are being used or expressed in the right time and place! In a school with a Catholic ethos, those ideas are exactly where they belong! In a Muslim national school, or a Jewish national school, those ideas are where they belong! In an Educate Together school, well, you get the idea. They are being used and expressed in the right time or place.

Religion I find to be unsubstantiated nonsense but I have no actual issue with it or people of faith. I have no "us and them" notion with people of faith and no faith. What I DO have issue with is religious ideas, ideology, or motivation showing up where it does not belong. Or when religious belief leads to harm, damage or unnecessary divisions.

We appear to be on the same page in that regard then. Where we appear to disagree is where religion belongs. You appear to want to restrict religion to Churches and schools where the ethos of the school is religious, but I would disagree with such restrictions. I am of the opinion that nobody should be restricted from expressing their faith, but their freedom to express their faith should be restricted when they cause harm to other people. The intent is not to restrict them from expressing their faith, but to restrict them from causing harm to themselves or other people. It is then necessary to impose a division between that person and society.

I repeat, there is no good reason to have religion or religious ethos in our PUBLIC halls of power, education and science for example. Be it in the schools, the curriculum or both. There is no argument to have it there that I have heard, or that you have offered, other than essentially saying nothing more than "I want it so I should have it" which is about all I have distilled from your multiple posts over multiple threads on the topic.

By that same token, all I have distilled from your posts on the topic is "There is no good reason to have religion in our halls of power" and so on, or our public halls even, but the general idea appears to be the same. Two opposite sides of the same coin. You have yet to present a compelling argument that would sway my opinion, and while you have said it isn't for my benefit that you continue to engage in dialogue, it is for the benefit of others; well, if those other people already agree with you, it seems like somewhat of a pointless exercise as they're not the people you have to convince. It's the people who disagree with you that you have to convince of your argument for the removal of religion and religious ethos from our public halls of power and so on. And so far, unfortunately, you appear to be more concerned with appealing to those people who agree with you, than attempting to make a compelling argument designed to convince those who don't.

Not how I mean it they don't do it already no. Once again I see no reason for religion or religious ethos to be in state run or funded schools. The idea I would work towards would be a society where no such thing exists. Faith formation or education should be kept to the club houses of people in that particular hobby.

Faith formation and education is already kept to the club houses of people in that particular hobby - it's kept to the Churches, and it's kept to the schools of those people in that particular hobby. They're even welcoming to people who don't share in their hobby to come and join them! Divisive you say? Far from it, it appears. If people do not want to share in their hobby, then those people are still accommodated as far as is practicably possible, but nobody is going to allow someone to come into their clubhouse or their school and that person then starts calling the shots for everyone else! That's when things become divisive!

If they were State schools, then yes, I'd agree with you that I see no necessity for religion to be in State or State funded shcools.

Again, as I have said multiple times before, I have no issue at all with the formation of schools with a religious ethos or a religious curriculum. It just should have nothing to do with the state or public funds. Nor have you provided a single argument as to why it should be that way, other than to point out that it already is.

Yes, it is that way, and that's reality, and if you're going to talk about the way things should be in your ideaspace that bears no reflection on reality, then I'd suggest you acknowledge reality first as your starting point before leaping off into your ideaspace. What you appear to be doing is talking from your ideaspace as though it actally has any chance of becoming reality. Why you think I should need to address an argument that has no apparent basis in reality is lost on me tbh. Your arguments appear to ignore the legal system, politics, society, and so on, so your ideaspace only serves utility for your own purposes really.

Then you must be overjoyed to find that I am proposing no such thing. As the ideal I envision is one where all the schools would be equal, blind to things like religion, sex, race etc, with a curriculum all children are expected to follow.

Anything on top of that, religion included, parents can do on their own time with any other hobbies they want to foist on their children.

That'd be the ideal you envision in your ideaspace that has no grounding whatsoever in reality then? You must surely be able to appreciate how useless then your ideas in your ideaspace actually are. You appear somehow to intend to defy evolution, and that's an idea I find intriguing!

I think I've sufficiently covered what parents can do in their own time already, without necessitating your permission to do so. The reality is that they already do it anyway. What conditions you think they should be restricted to are another matter entirely based upon your ideas in your own headspace.

Not a good enough reason in my view. I would still be waiting to hear their arguments for wanting it. If 65% of people tomorrow said they want the school curriculum to include a section on training children up to make it big on XFactor, I do not expect a sane society to suddenly go "Ok people want it, lets do it". I would expect a sane society to go "Ok people want this, so lets look at it and see if there is any good reason to give them what they want".

Fatal logic error there :D

Otherwise, if a sane society did actually exist in reality, we likely wouldn't be having this conversation now, and your ideas might actually be worth something. If only everyone in society were capable of reason and logic and critical thinking and so on, but the way I see it, the popular vote appears to win out over logic and reason every time.

And as I keep pointing out, and your continued lack of arguments proves my point, there does not seem to be a SINGLE good argument for having it this way. There is just no reason there to have religion, or religious ethos in the schools. And we have multiple arguments and reasons to keep it out.... from the divisions it causes, to the ridiculous juggling of things like transport to get kids to schools that match the ethos of their parents, and so forth.

I give you my word as a (somewhat? :D) gentleman, that as soon as you get your head out of your ideaspace and start acknowledging reality, I will provide you with a list of arguments that are actually based in reality. Until then, I simply cannot relate to or enter your ideaspace and I cannot come up with arguments against ideas that have no grounding in reality.

It brings absolutely nothing positive, a multitude of things negative, and "People want it" is just not a good argument to support that. Especially given there are alternatives to give the people what they want without the headaches. An alternative such as having a completely secular and religious ethos free all inclusive national school system and curriculum..... while parents can get everything they "want" by other means outside of that curriculum and those hours. Problem solved.

I find "people want it" to be a good argument to support what people actually want. What you want, is another matter entirely. You say religion brings nothing positive, and I can only say that I disagree entirely with that assertion. I have witnessed for myself the positive influence religion has on a society. I have also witnessed for myself the negative influence religion has on a society, and IMO we could go round in circles all day while I see the donut, and you only manage to see the hole. I do not want your 'alternative'. Why is that such a difficult concept for you to grasp? Your 'alternative' is... well, it actually offers me nothing! You can keep it tbh. I have no utility for it.

I can have what I want now, and your suggested system not only offers me nothing, but it appears to restrict what I can do already without requiring your permission! I can see why that might be a hard sell for society - once you move it outside your ideaspace and attempt to map it to reality, it holds together about as well as two ply toilet roll.

So no your reason is not simple, it is simplistic. An empty cop out of providing actual arguments as to the benefit of such systems or states of affairs.

We've been over this - of course my reason is simplistic. It doesn't need to be any more complicated than simply "NO", and I would entertain your argument no further. But doing so is not actually a cop out, so much as it is a reluctance to buy into your ideaspace where reality is abandoned in favour of, well, I don't know really, as I cannot relate to it at all.

I do not see any reason, and I note you mentioned none here while asserting it, that it "has" to be so at all. Why does the state "have" to have anything to do with religion? Especially in the schools and curriculum? I see no reason why it "has" to be so. I just see that it "is" so. Not that it "has" to be.

Because the reality is that it's written in the Irish Constitution that the State has these obligations, duties and responsibilities. I have elaborated at length as to why the current reality exists, and yet you insist on substituting reality for your own ideaspace.

No.

I do not think you see the opposite of what I see, because I ALSO see what you see too. You said for example religion can bring some people together and I never dispute that. I agree with it. So do, for example, premier league football clubs. They bring people WITHIN any given following together. People meet friends, social support, and much more of benefit they might not otherwise find.

The same is true for religion. But what is also true for religion and football following is the animosity and distrust, sometimes even outright hatred and violence, it fosters BETWEEN followers of each. It fosters an in-group, out-group mentality that.... as you pointed out.... is already natural to humans but we have no cause to exacerbate.

You really don't. You tried that before and you failed miserably at it, so I suggest with the greatest of respect that you remain outside my headspace and restrict your arguments to your own ideaspace.

Apart from that, it is as I suggested before, that it is people's judgement of other people who are different to them in some way, that is harmful. Religion isn't the problem then, passing judgement upon other people who are in any way different to us, is the problem. Since that has been a trait instinctive in humans since the dawn of man, that is why I suggest you appear to want to defy evolution.

So no I do not see the opposite of what you see. Quite the contrary, I see what you see AND MORE. I look at the big picture rather than cherry picking out the roses. And when I look at something I do not focus on the good OR the bad.... I focus on the overall cost v. benefit analysis.... and I look not only at the good, but the price we pay FOR that good.

You really don't, and you actually never will. That is reality.

How you choose to evaluate your ideas is utterly meaningless to me as you are logically predisposed to place an unrealistic over-evaluation on your ideas than I would. Thankfully for you at least, your thoughts cost me nothing, not even a penny. If I had to pay for your thoughts, I'd be expecting better value for money as the cost v. benefit analysis would show the penny simply isn't worth the candle.

Which is why I did not and never do just say "I see no good that comes from religion" but I also say "What good I do see, is not worth the cost we pay for it, given the same good can be attained by other means lest damaging or costly".

Religion does very little positive in this world, and what little it does do can (and often is) attained by other means less costly, and less damaging.

Religion costs nothing though? It literally costs nothing! What you are arguing we pay for, is actually the cost of being human. What you see as damaging and costly, I see as more than worth that cost to humanity, because the benefits by far and above outweigh the costs. Again, we could argue back and forth all day on the value we place on ideas, but it wouldn't get us anywhere, which is why I don't engage in it, and have a selection of rebuttals to choose from -

"NO", and... actually I thought I had more.

On top of all that however religion is more divisive than other things..... you gave the example of politics.... I could also give the example of racial differences..... because the more divorced from reality something is, the harder it is to reconcile divisions and differences of opinion within it.

With politics for example you could have a political difference of opinion but eventually studies, statistics, or retrospect will settle that difference. With things like racial differences, are sciences are now showing just how baseless such differences are.... that we are so alike between our races that if we were all dogs we would be the same breed of dog..... that those espousing racial differences no longer have a leg to stand on.

So while reconciliation is still hard to attain in those spheres, it is at least possible and a basis for it exists. Not so in religion. If you have a difference of opinion about the will of god there is no basis for reconciling that difference of opinion. There is no reason to even think there IS A GOD in the first place, so how could anyone reconcile a difference of opinion on it's desires or intentions? IT can not be done. If you put Andrew Sullivan and Bill OReilly.... both Catholics.... in a room and demand they reconcile their differences about gods opinion of homosexuality before they leave that room......... I think we can fully expect they are both going to die in that room.

So THAT is what I mean when I say religion is inherently divisive. In a way that does not justify your trying to parallel it to politics. Nor is your analogy between removing religion from society and removing politics from society a good one for that reason.

Sam Harris and Michael Nugent seem to be making great roads into inter-faith dialogue?

Meanwhile, we here in Ireland still have no Government after an election that was how many weeks ago now?

But no one IS suggesting removing it from society so the analogy is pointless in the first place. I do not envision, desire, or even want a society without religion or the religious. I would not say NO to one of course, but I do not particularly care enough to want one. I just want religion out of certain aspects and areas of society. Nothing more.

Quite the difference then huh? So while you worry about throwing the baby out with the bathwater..... without actually in any way identifying what the baby even IS in this case.......... nothing I suggest is against you having the bath, the water, and the baby. I am just suggesting you do not drag the bath out into the kitchen and keep it where it belongs and use it for what it is intended.

I did identify who the baby was? The bath water though, is the corrupt element within religion, the same as we would discard with the corrupt element in politics. Then we are left with all of the good, and none of the bad. To extend your analogy somewhat - I will bathe wherever the bloody hell I like, and there is literally squat you can do about that. You can ask nicely, and I will refuse nicely to adhere to your preferences. At least we can be civil about our disagreement.

A lot of people do it with things like art, meditation, philosophy, investing oneself in humanity and society, spirituality and much more. None of which presuppose anything on insufficient evidence in order to function or benefit.

Good for them. I'm not sure how that relates to anything I said for myself though? If they derive benefit from those activities, I have no doubt that there are at least as many people who have little or no interest in 'alternatives'.

But that said you are talking here about personal benefit again and missing my point(s). I repeat NOTHING I write should be taken as applicable in ANY way to religion itself, people having religion or faith, or people having club houses for that particular hobby which they attend. I have nothing against ANY of that. At. All. Your hobby is catholicism and your club house in the church. The next guys hobby is manchester united and his club house is the pub with Sky Television and a beer tap. The next guys hobby is art and his club house the National Art Gallery. So on so on. All good stuff. No issue with me from ANY of this.

My clubhouse, lest you need reminding, is also the Catholic ethos school.

When I talk about benefit of religion I am talking about at a social societal level. If you can not derive any contentment in life from reality and need to do so by instead subscribing to entirely unsubstantiated nonsense and fairy tales then NOTHING I say or think is against that in any way. Have at it and more power to you.

Thank you, I will.

I just see no sensible leap from THERE to things some people might think like "Therefore a particular religious ethos should permeate our national school curriculum, the facility presenting that school curriculum, or both" or "Therefore state funds or facilities should be used to promote, endorse or facilitate this particular hobby over any other".

It is THEN that I want to hear arguments as to the benefit of religion and I do not see any. They simply appear not to exist. As I said a few people have offered some before but they have either turned out to be A) Nothing to do with religion in the first place or B) Not actually beneficial things at all or C) things one might be able to admit to the benefit of in isolation, but NOT in the face of an analysis of the cost it brings to attain it or D) things we could (and usually do) also attain other ways without religion and all the associated harms and costs of it.

It's quite something when I could say exactly, well, almost the same thing as you have just done, except for the fact that while you want to hear arguments for why reality should not be substituted for your ideaspace, I want to hear your argument for why your ideaspace should substitute reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,207 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If they were State schools, then yes, I'd agree with you that I see no necessity for religion to be in State or State funded shcools.

So why is the argument continuing? The vast majority of schools are state schools. Any school that is built using public funds, maintained and the staff paid for with public funds, and the curriculum set by a state body, is a state school.

Just because a train driver is given charge of a train doesn't mean he owns it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

looksee wrote: »
    So why is the argument continuing? The vast majority of schools are state schools. Any school that is built using public funds, maintained and the staff paid for with public funds, and the curriculum set by a state body, is a state school.

Is there any evidence that the vast majority of schools were built using State funds? I seem to recall you telling us the vast majority are owned by the Catholic Church. I know you imagine the State paid for them and then gave them away in an act of unfathomable generosity, but you never have provided any evidence for the notion...

Which is not to say they're not State schools, so long as the inference isn't that State schools are schools the State can simply do as it pleases with; there isn't a State school in the country that the State isn't in some way engaged with other stakeholders that would have a say in what happens to the school. Whilst some people might see no necessity for religion to be in State or State funded schools, I suspect quite a few of those stakeholders would be more than willing to point out the necessity of it in their schools. Or even the simple fact that they find it desirable, regardless of necessity.

The vast majority of schools aren't State schools. The State funds education by providing for education in schools which can be owned by any of one of the patron bodies. The State owns the Model schools, which are under the patronage of the Minister for Education and Skills.

I'm not sure how I could make the train driver analogy fit, but perhaps one of the key considerations in determining who gets to drive the train is who the customers want to drive the train -

http://www.merrionstreet.ie/en/News-Room/Releases/Minister_invites_applications_for_patronage_of_three_new_primary_schools_to_be_established_in_September_2016.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,207 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Absolam wrote: »
    Is there any evidence that the vast majority of schools were built using State funds? I seem to recall you telling us the vast majority are owned by the Catholic Church. I know you imagine the State paid for them and then gave them away in an act of unfathomable generosity, but you never have provided any evidence for the notion...

Which is not to say they're not State schools, so long as the inference isn't that State schools are schools the State can simply do as it pleases with; there isn't a State school in the country that the State isn't in some way engaged with other stakeholders that would have a say in what happens to the school. Whilst some people might see no necessity for religion to be in State or State funded schools, I suspect quite a few of those stakeholders would be more than willing to point out the necessity of it in their schools. Or even the simple fact that they find it desirable, regardless of necessity.

I said I conceded that the state had handed over the schools to the patrons - whether this means that the Catholic Church 'owns' them is as unfathomable as your speculation about how many people would prefer that religion remains in schools. The handover is in fact in deeds of trust, and it would require legal opinion as to what is involved in these.

How does giving schools and all the support mechanisms to the patrons, if the patrons are the Church, square with the constitution's statement that it will not endow any religion?

I said I conceded that the state had handed over the schools to the patrons - whether this means that the Catholic Church 'owns' them is as unfathomable as your speculation about how many people would prefer that religion remains in schools. The handover is in fact in deeds of trust, and it would require legal opinion as to what is involved in these.

How does giving schools and all the support mechanisms to the patrons, if the patrons are the Church, square with the constitution's statement that it will not endow any religion?

It's actually very clear that the Church owns them, and there's no need for speculation if you read the progress report from the Forum on Pluralism and Patronage here:

https://www.education.ie/en/Press-Events/Events/Patronage-and-Pluralism-in-the-Primary-Sector/Forum-on-Patronage-and-Pluralism-in-the-Primary-Sector.html

I posted this earlier in the thread too:

Here's an interesting (well I think it's interesting anyway, you may not) paper on the whole legal background to that and why it isn't at all true that the State gives preferential treatment to one religious group:

Religion and Education – the Irish Constitution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Nope. You said you conceded the state says that the patrons own the schools. And that you've no doubt that the Deeds of Trust are watertight in giving the education of the nation's children to the Roman Catholic church. You never did give us any evidence for your speculation that the Deeds represented some sort of handover of ownership from the State though. I don't think it does require legal opinion as to what is involved in Deeds of Trust, here's one here; an example of a Deed of Trust between the Minister of Education and a Religious Congregation, so you can read it for yourself. You'll notice it doesn't cede ownership of State property to the Congregation, in fact, should the Trust arrangement be terminated, the properties and so much more, vest in the Minister.
    Interesting question, though perhaps it should be How would, rather than How does? Let's see how you get on with showing that the State does give schools and all the support mechanisms to the patrons before we worry about answering that.

Advertisement