Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation VR Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,833 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ragnarock is awesome fun! But I'd imagine only if you like the metal based music. Which I do. Sweaty fun. Will keep me going till Beat Saber arrives. And keep me going after that if they try and charge!

NMS is amazing looking, but will take some getting used to, controls are vastly different. The flying in particular will take a while. Someone else mentioned it, but the way you bring up and use menus with the Sense controllers is brilliant.

Horizon looks stunning. Only played a small bit, lots of climbing. Using the smooth turning can tank the framerate though. Doesn't seem like a game you take short bursts at. And trying to get used to the touch sensitivity, fingers going mad! Played the maracas and a foreign bodhrán!

GT7 is also stunning. Makes me pine for a motion setup though... they're only about 1.5k for the cheapest now....

Pistol Whip is as good as it always was.

Have Townsmen to try yet. I'm in a situation where I've too much to play! Headset is definitely lighter, and it controls sweat a bit better. Have actual droplets of sweat on the ground, so that funnel rubber yoke is doing its job.

My limited space is going to cause an issue though. There's 3 game modes/types, sitting, standing and roomscale. I have space for sitting and standing (1m x1m), but you need 2m x 2m or larger for the roomscale games. So it looks like I won't be allowed to play them by default, but I think you can bypass the safety warning and play regardless. I can move it though, so not a huge issue, and can't see too many games requiring full motion/movement. Not yet anyway.

Now give me Astrobot and HL Alyx! Fingers crossed for the latter tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Even the games that let you stand up, don't really want you moving around too much. I have a footstool in front of me and my office chair to the left. When I keep the edge of the safe zoon inside them, I just keep putting my hands through the safe zone walls, even though they are two foot above the obstacle and I'm nowhere near tripping over them. So I used the set-up to make the space bigger to account for it.

You can turn down how quickly the safety walls come into play in the settings. Makes it less jarring when this grid wall appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Anyone do the trade deal for 50percent extra trade credit .. If I trade in my Xbox and 4 other items the credit will boost from 300 to 450 for the Xbox then I can get 180 for dualsense Edge, I emailed them and they said it works on accessories and consoles also..

Anyone try Pavlov yet is it worth picking up?..

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Anyone have any recommendations how to clean the lenses properly? Mine are already pretty smeared from eyelashes and sweat (Horizon can be quite the workout)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Just a normal microfiber glass cleaning cloth will do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Was looking at picking up a zombie shooter , which do ppl recommend zombieland or after the fall?

Ended up picking it up today availing of the 50percent extra trade value..

Balbriggan gamestop tried to shaft me and only gave me 10percent extra even after I explained it wasn't right so took my stuff back and rang drogheda who told me no it should be 50percent... went there and got sorted in no time, excellent service.. Traded my xbox series x worth 300 and got 450 for it... Balbriggan almost had me losing out on 200euro..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Well...after a few days or so of testing it out, I'd have to say it's a bit of a mixed bag for me. With one major caveat though in my case. So much so, that I'll probably leave it alone until one of the crowds online have sorted out their prescription lenses. Much like the PSVR1, I'm hesitant to use it with glasses as in order to find what seems to be an incredibly small sweet spot, there's too much compromise on the admittedly decent FOV of the PSVR2 and decreases the immersive experience. Not a very comfortable headset either for me personally, but that'll be different person to person. Whereas some will appreciate the adjustability to allow for glasses, it can weigh too heavily on the front, and pinches too close for others, especially on the bridge of the nose for me personally with the specs.

FWIW, I do believe there is a diffusion layer at work with the panels, as the clarity is nowhere near the level of some of the high-end headsets, even with relative impressive figures on the spec sheet, there is surely some compromise at work, and obviously the PS5 won't have the advantage of supersampling to overcome such issues. Wouldnt be surprised if the sub-pixel arrangement of the panels is also towards the cheaper side. In-game, it's actually not to bad, but that will change depending on the game. Haven tried playing any standard games in theater mode, but I'd imagine it could be a very frustrating method especially with text heavy titles. There has to be some level of compromise with a mass market effort, and it's probably the lenses that are a bit previous gen for lack of a better term leading to some ghosting for example, certainly in comparison to the pancake lenses on the likes of a Quest Pro, but there's no way Sony could add another 100quid onto the build.

On the plus side, there is an excellent brightness, contrast and colour depth to the image, and while some mura effect is expected with OLED, its pretty small and isn't very noticeable, especially when in the throes of gameplay. Perhaps darker, slower paced stuff, say in RE Village might be more an issue, but I've only played the opening section so can't speak for that.

Tracking seems decent, though its very dependent on the light levels in the room, and it's not unusual to have issues as time passes in the day. The assistive option for a frame around the TV image, is probably a good shout to be enabled at all times for anyone having sporadic issues, but definitely the light levels need to be well adjusted for the room. It's the price to pay with this form of tracking, but it's far more preferable to a sensor setup with a living room setup for example, and miles ahead of the PSVR1 method. Have noticed one or two tracking issues with controllers, when high above the headset, but nothing to cry about.

Gamewise, GT7 and Horizon are obvious standouts with the bright, colourful graphics of the latter very much at home with headset. Bit of an expanded demo feel to the game, but longevity and quality aside, it offers a good VR experience and most people should have no issues with the movement options. Cockpit VR is obviously one of the better consistent experiences one can have, and GT7 is a treat in this regard. Close detail looks well, and easily gets across that 360 degree feel. Plop a wheel in front of you and its probably already up there with some of the best VR simulations out there. Kayak is also a quietly impressive launch game, albeit not for everyone, but it gives a well realised version of the activity with solid physics and can be quite a workout if you get into it. Rez, Tetris and Thumper are fine for what they are, perhaps a bit frontal in the VR experience, but certainly the best way to be playing them, well, apart from Tetris. Haven't played much of Village or No Man's Sky as I'd very much like to check them out once I can lose the glasses, but seem OK. Not expecting Elite Dangerous VR levels from NMS, but ship sequences should be another easy bat for the headset.

Overall, it's a solid effort, which performs very well at its price point, but it's irrelevant if the software isn't there, so that will determine how much of an essential purchase it will be ultimately and we won't know the answer to that for a while. I'm more than sceptical on some of the reviews floating about comparing it to high-end PCVR, as its most definitely not at that level, but for anyone experiencing VR for the first time, or from PSVR1, it's pretty good. But it certainly won't come into its own for me until I sort out the lenses and hopefully that'll help with the comfort levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is there a trade list ? They're website seems to be rubbish to find any information on it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭jj880

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

You can turn down how quickly the safety walls come into play in the settings. Makes it less jarring when this grid wall appears.

Can I ask what setting you used to do this its doing my head in

Shin

Yeah alot of games don't seem to show trade values now online ya have to ring to find out....

But the 50percent trade value is on anything so consoles / accessories / games but you have to trade 5 in to get 50percent ..

Deal may be over now I am not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

VR Optician have their lenses up for order now. Shipping in a couple weeks.

Not the only ones, but have been happy enough with this crowd over the years with a number of devices, so will be checking them out again.

No absolute 100% guarantees that they will improve things, but those fresnel lenses of the headset need as much help as they can get, and any one with a lower IPD or wide nose could have issues as there will probably have to be a compromise in the lens distance once with adapters are in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I've been away on hols the past 3 weeks... so is the PSVR2 good?

How does it compare to PCVR ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It's better than the oculus rift. That's my only comparison. I've heard people say for the money it's probably the best on the market. You are up into the €1500+ market to get some small benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I suppose that's the other question. Has anyone got it working on PC?

I know PSVR was kinda working with a lot of limitations. But since this doesn't have to worry about an external camera for tracking they may have more luck.

I'm very tempted to jump right in now...particularly for Gran Turismo but I'm gonna stick to my guns and wait till I've completed more from my backlog on Quest and PSVR1, otherwise I just wasted money buying so many games. If I wait till my birthday in October I'll treat myself then..and who knows there might even be a PS5 Pro by then

Not to mention all the current games will be on sale

• Registered Users Posts: 13,833 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I liked the look of Pavlov, so took the plunge. I picked "New to VR" when asked and it has put a vigenette on my movement and I can't figure out how to turn it off. But, I spent a good hour at the shooting range, trying out all the weapons and then discovered there's a WW2 range with all appropriate weapons... fun fun! The most immersive "pew, pew, pew, pew, pewping" M1 Garand ever!

Clarity is an issue, but it could be me. I can't seem to get a good focus, and it makes aiming hard. Speaking of aiming, I automatically close my left eye, but I can't aim for crap anyway. It's just... hard to imagine holding the gun and how it's affecting your aiming. I'm aiming too low, but can't contort my arms into the correct positions for aiming straight...

After an hour of that, I said I'd give the zombies a go. Ah, yeah. I can't figure the movement. Again, I'm probably doing it wrong, but I keep on moving in strange angles because my head can't put the required movements together... Watching people play it on YT, I'm definitely doing something wrong but I can't figure it out. Tried that wave mode, keep dropping the weapon instead of re-loading...

So yeah, it's gonna take a lot of practice to get any good at it I reckon. But could just be me. Was looking forward to The Walking Dead S&S Ch1. Out March 21st, but just seen it's $10 to upgrade unless you owned the Tourist edition, which is a free upgrade. Bit crappy imo. Should be free seeing as Ch2 is out soon too. Waiting on Beat Games to do the same... I also want the games like Blade and Sorcery to come. Swords>guns!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭cobraeire

Yeah a nice jump from the psvr,controlls are a bug upgrade also we'll with the money...takes a while to find the sweet spot but not an issue,if I did have one it's comfort not saying its bad but not as comfortable as psvr1,then again everyone's face/head is different but still loving it

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MickoDeBucko

Got mine two weeks ago but only got round to trying it over the weekend, My initial impressions;

Great color, although default brightness is shockingly high. Acceptable mura, about on par with PSVR1, which my brain is very used to at this stage, people coming from LCD headsets are probably in for a bit of shock with it. Can't comment on resolution as the two games I played seem nowhere near native res, I'd say stuff like Job Simulator and Moss would be closer to it. Controllers are a revelation compared to moves, no contest.

As for comfort, bit lacking here; front and back padding seem less cushioned than my well worn PSVR1, very noticeable on the forehead after long sessions, sweet spot is not as bad as I had been hearing, the problem as I see it is that it takes very little movement to "knock" it out of the spot, I imagine playing beat saber here would be a **** show, fine for slower paced games I'd say.

If I were to rank it against Rift S and Index (I'm only comparing wired headsets for fairness) I think the PSVR2 gives the index a right run for it's money for half the price, very very solid introductory mass market headset (Official Sony PC drivers would make this thing a steal) Only played Horizon, which I found to be vibrant but pretty tame as far as locomotion and combat goes and Resi 8 which does a surprising amount right for a flat to VR port, some great gun interactions here.

Another peeve with the headset has to be build quality. The ring around the headband just seems flat out thin and and fragile, cant imagine it aging well after years of pulling. It's surprisingly bulky towards the front which makes it tough to aim down sights. I imagine that this might also be contributing to the sweet spot trouble since I feel like the headset is inclined to dip no matter what the position or tightening, PSVR2 seems more front heavy than PSVR1 despite feeling lighter in the hand, strange stuff. 3rd party accessories could make a huge difference with comfort, only time will tell.

My last problem (I do actually like PSVR2, I swear!) is really just luck of the draw, I've got a stuck pixel smack dab in the middle of my right lens and seeing as my right eye is my dominant eye, this **** may as well be a green/blue bullseye. I sent GameStop an email about it, they told me to contact the manufacturer, so I'm already being given the runaround since Sony's own literature says that stuck / dead pixels aren't under warranty and are an accepted "phenomenon" of oled tech. Past experiences with GameStop have taught me I'm **** out of luck here, but I'll go to a store and try and talk to a human being first.

It says a lot about the price to performance ratio that I would still recommended the PSVR2 (especially if your a long suffering PSVR1 lunatic like myself) even with my qualified quibbles and very real defect 😒 I think future revisions of this headset, with a nice game bundle, will be an absolute must buy.

Anyway, I'm gonna drop in to GameStop with very, very low expectations of a positive outcome, I'll update this post If they actually replace it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Hang on, you just bought this and you have a dead pixel. I’d be down in the store having blue murder until they exchanged or refunded me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MickoDeBucko

You're dead right, problem is I ordered it online and the two stores I rang seem interested in the passing the buck. I know lad in a 3rd store, still trying to get a hold of, neither of the other two stores even told me to bring it in for testing, **** service. I'll update my situation tomorrow.

Great write up, but yeah that sux the proverbial donkey's gnads about the dead pixel 😫

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Played GT7 last night and wasn't feeling sick like the previous time, surprising considering I was still driving a fast car. Spent a few extra minutes fiddling and seemed to get a better picture, but still have the issue with looking at anything in the corners being blurry. Interested to hear if anyone gets prescription lenses if that helps.

I don't remember the field of view being as bad on the original VR. Maybe it's just noticeable in GT7 as the default camera position is too narrow of a FOV, the trick to get your camera moved back helps but it's still a game where you need to move around a bit more than real life to see your mirrors, probably less of an issue in games where you're not sitting in position and actively moving a character around.

Looking forward to Switchback VR and Walking Dead Saints & Sinners. No word on if the 1&2 bundle will get a physical release? €60 isn't bad on the store as the first game on disc is still €35 on CeX/eBay.

Interesting comment on reddit

The tiny sweet spot is a bit worrying as the headset will likely move as you play and look around (or the headset will hit the back of the Playseat Challenge when playing GT7).. are we talking mm in difference to get it in the right position?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,160 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I've played about 50 hours in gt7 in vr in a Playseat challenge and never had an issue with the back band hitting off the seat. I'd suspect that if it is then you're wearing it far too high on the back of your head

• Registered Users Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I think it's mainly expectations and what game you're playing. Anyone who has owned multiple headsets seems happy with the image quality, people who are new to VR less so. Yes there is a sweet spot but once you hit it the image is absolutely not crystal clear, it may be as good as you can hope for in a headset of this price right now but it's still quite grainy. Also the headset will easily slip out of the sweet spot after playing for a bit unless you have it very tight which I don't as it's too uncomfortable.

For games like horizon the image quality is fine. For GT7 it can be hard to read the dashboard instruments that are right in front of you, cars that's are 5 seconds ahead of you at the end of a straight are kind of just a feint blur of moving pixels. Aiming down the sights as targets that are even at medium range in Pavlov gives a similar effect.

It's great tech and I can see the potential in it but it has a way to go yet. Ultimately you would want it to be far less bulky, wireless, and have a genuine crystal clear image as good as you get on a flat screen. It feels a long way off that, probably a couple of generations away. Also remove the need for a sweet spot or at least make it far bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The back of my headset was hitting my couch yesterday in GT7 and didn't seem to have much issue. The headband being padded has some 'give' to it. Unless you're full on leaning on it I can't imagine it's much of an issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭jj880

Synth Riders PSVR2 is 20% off. Down to 20 euro.

Advertisement