Advertisement
Boards are fundraising to help the people of Ukraine via the Red Cross at this horrific time. Please donate and share if you can, you will find the link here. Many thanks.

Playstation VR Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭ TheIrishGrover

That word "experience" got me concerned too. And notice in that (admittedly tiny) clip, they were on a boat which is very on-rails. But, having said that, Wipeout looks amazing on PS4/VR.

The specs look very good alright. But I doubt it could push 4K VR at any decent framerate. But I'd say it would run 2X 1080 or 2 X, I don't know, 2K at a decent framerate to avoid motion sickness.

However it all comes down to three things:

• Price.... Which leads to
    • Adoption... Which leads to
    • Support

Without a HUGE adoption rate (I'm thinking 80% of PS5 owners) then it will remain a novelty. Apart from first Party (Sony-owned) studios, who would spend vast amounts of resources and money for a niche product. They could port PC VR games to it such as the last Half Life but do you spend an additional 10 million dollars porting to a device with a few hundred thousand units?

I mean, I'm interested. But it would need a HELL of a lot more support and games than the PSVR1 got to make me buy unless it was dirt cheap (Which it can't be)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭ mrcheez

I'm still holding off on getting a PS5 until they add 3d BluRay support so that rules me out of PSVR2 as well (for now) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,618 ✭✭✭ the dunne

What's the guesses for the price point?

I'm gonna go with €600

Would be a difficult sell at that price. Don't get me wrong, the hardware alone would probably be around that if being sold as a PC device. Sounds about right. But PC VR fans are very dedicated and would not hesitate to spend what is required: 1-1.5K for PC gear. New GPU every couple of years, latest VR set etc.

But this would be aimed not at these people. Not really "casual" gamers either but somewhere in the middle. Add 600 to the 500 for a PS5 (if you can get one) and that's a large outlay for many people.

They would have to take a SERIOUS loss initially if they want to get it into as many homes as possible. Like 400 (A loss of 200 per unit).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭ Exclamation Marc

Key for me is backward compatibility.

Launching PSVR2 with a ready-made legacy back catalogue seems a must to make it appealing at the outset as well as ensuring that PSVR1 adopters are not left behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,762 ✭✭✭✭ CastorTroy

With the success lately of the Quest 2, this is going to get compared to that. Not being wireless, it will depend on price and games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭ Mr Crispy

I'd say @the dunne isn't too far off the mark, price-wise.

Is the new headset completely standalone bar the wire from the headset to console (and the controllers obviously)?

No external sensors/cameras required right?

As in, could I just have the PS5 sitting on a table somewhere, and not need to worry about connecting it to the TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭ Mr.Fantastic

Like the sounds of this , think I will trade in my current psvr into cex as I will a decent price ish now for it, hoping to emigrate this year so no room for it.

• Advertisement

No extra sensors (Inside-out sensing. Basic cameras on headset to gather position). The spec says it uses USB-C. So it SOUNDS like you continue to have your PS5 connected to the TV as normal and don't touch that and that you simply plug in the USB cable into the front USB slot. No add-on box or anything. USB-C certainly has enough bandwidth to handle this (Currently I am running a 4K screen, HDMI monitor, mouse/keyboard, tablet screen-share, ethernet on one USB-C port. Amazing)

Will be interesting to see how the global chip-shortage will impact this. From what I have read, it SEEMS that higher-end computation-heavy custom chips are more adversely affected by the shortage. Not so much CPU as Intel and AMD seem to churning them out without issue, but GPUs and more specific chips for automotive AI etc. (And, of course, PS5/XBOX CPU/GPUs). However, as the majority of the heavy-lifting will be performed by the PS5, I wonder what this means for the electronics involved in the headset.

Sure, the optics and retina-tracking are very high-end but I'm wondering about the cameras and accelerometers and controllers. Wonder are they bringing this out sooner than expected because they CAN get their hands on the hardware to manufacture these easier than the consoles themselves. So that they have a new must-have device for "Holiday Season 2022" (Nov-Dec 22)

Pure speculation. Just thinking out loud

With the current PSVR you can control everything via the headset without a TV connected (from what I'm aware) so it's definitely possible it will be the same for PSVR2 and PS5 and I could just have the PS5 in a corner of the room without having to find space in my media centre.

Maybe have a small portable TV to connect just in case of some issue that can't be resolved through the headset.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,762 ✭✭✭✭ CastorTroy

Hope the cable is long enough and detachable in case we want a longer cable.

Hadn't really considered getting a PS5 until the new PSVR2 specs were revealed, then I discover they are nigh on impossible to buy at standard prices?

Will there be a similar shortage around the time the PSVR2 is released or should it normalise by then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭ JimBurnley

Walking Dead Saints and Sinners has a sequel confirmed. No details on platform yet but feels like a psvr2 game is a good bet

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2022/01/psvr-hit-the-walking-dead-saints-and-sinners-will-survive-a-sequel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭ jj880

Seeing a lot of articles giving this link to sign up to get notified when psvr2 pre orders are open:

Edit: Sign up screenshot ==>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ RocketRaccoon

That would lead me to believe that an update is coming soon, I can't wait for this.

Yeah same - Ive a few games I wanna finish up on psvr (farpoint and walking dead mainly) then Im sellin it. Psvr2 for Christmas this year.

I haven't hooked my vr up to my ps5 which I got at this time last year.

I was late to psvr - only got 1 at Christmas so bingeing on some of the games that have good reviews before I sell it. Im hooked though - they have to make a psvr2 astrobot.

• Advertisement

Congrats on being the 5000th comment @jj880

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭ JimBurnley

Astrobot is still my no 1 VR experience. Grinned from ear to ear the whole way through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭ Danick

I need to get my VR legs - how long should I use it for and what games should I start with? Have VR since launch but never had time to use it and any time I have used it I've had terrible motion sickness. Any help greatly appreciated

Give Astrobot a shot first, it's the best experience you'll have on the VR and it's not too strenuous.

Superhot would be a good one too as you can literally move at your own pace

Thumper is hellish in VR. Hellish in a good way.

Moss

Walking Dead Saints & Sinners

There are PSVR demo disks available on the PS Store: https://store.playstation.com/en-ie/product/EP9000-CUSA13845_00-PSVRDEMODISK0003

They have free demos for most of the games mentioned in the last few posts so you can try before you buy.

Disk 3 demos:

• ASTRO BOT Rescue Mission (JAPAN Studio)
    • Battlezone (Rebellion)
    • Headmaster (Frame Interactive)
    • Job Simulator (OWLCHEMY LABS)
    • Moss (Polyarc)
    • KITCHEN (Capcom CO., LTD.)
    • SUPERHOT VR (SUPERHOT Team)
    • The Persistence (Firesprite)
    • Thumper (Drool)

Post edited by jj880 on

Didnt know theres a Moss sequel due out Spring 2022 exclusively on PSVR. Might have to keep PSVR a bit longer to play that.

Playing The Room VR: A Dark Matter

Its really good. Discounted from 30 euro to 7.50 for ps plus subscribers (10 euro without ps plus).

• Advertisement

Won't let me link but the full design has been shown on the ps blog

Advertisement