Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,014 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

@JPup

Ah hear. You can't seriously be arguing that Temple of Doom was better than the 3rd one?

It was MILES better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not filled with hysterics but definitely still has it. A grown adult wrote this:

And people wonder why Film Discourse has gone to the dogs? Meanwhile, David Ehrlich, a fairly good reviewer I found through Blank Check, wrote a more sober assessment:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

ohoh !

"Indeed, the standing ovations for Ford were louder before the movie played. The film’s elaborate action scenes and witty one-liners delivered by Waller-Bridge received a less-than-rapturous response inside the theater. During parts of the 142-minute film, audience members could be heard whispering out of boredom in French."

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Film sounds middling, but LOL - the difference an adjective can make!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Not saying it's not deserved but were any of the Indy sequels particularly well received? I recall Leonard Martin I think and others writing about TOD and TLC at the time as if they were endurance tests to sit through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Rude French people talking in the cinema???!!!! Sacre Bleu!!!!

Nah. JK.

I really REALLY didn't want another Indy. I still don't want one. BUT if we have to have one, at least the pedigree is good. Phoebe Waller-Bridges is offensively talented. Mangold's Logan is fantastic. And anything that can wipe that last one from memory is a good thing.

I mean, I'll go to see it. The reviews seem good so far. It seems to be the end THIS time so fingers crossed. Didn't need it. Didn't want it. But now we have it, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

They were whooping and a hallering when they saw Top Gun a couple of years back so they can behave if they are entertained lol. Mangold good yeah, Waller-Bridge could be setup to fail here if she comes across as annoying. One reviewer on RT said it was better than Crystal Skull but not by much.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Oh jeez.... Better than Crystal Skull but not by much? That's not exactly praise

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's shaping up to what I had kinda been expecting all along: that the movie would be perfectly fine. There was always little chance of it being amazing, but with James Mangold working it, nor did I expect it to be outright terrible. It's the curse of mediocrity: there's nothing to get excited or incensed about so the movie just flatlines; if this eventual final part is just ... OK? That'll be both success and failure at the same time.

A question is, did they alter the movie by editing/reshoots in any way based on the fan backlashes after rumors about them killing Indie, or Helena being there to put Indie down in his own movie. Best case its a bland film that costs Disney hundreds of millions ..ha ha! , thats Capitalism as Helena might say

Dammmmmn! Reading excerpts from reviews is going to be entertaining

Here, though, the action is generic and clunkily staged – for all the local detail in every individual shot of the heavily advertised tuk-tuk chase, it might as well be taking place on an endless conveyor belt. As for the comedy – well, Waller-Bridge has clearly been given the instruction to “just do Fleabag” but she’s operating without Fleabag-level material here, and her frequent attempts to juice up the clumsy gags with her trademark winking delivery tend to fall flat. (While she’s perfectly decent in the role – and every bit as much the hero of the piece as Ford – audience members unfamiliar with her television work may be puzzled as to why she’s here in the first place.)

The film is loaded with mayhem but painfully short on spark and bravado: there’s no shot here, nor twist of choreography, that makes you marvel at the filmmaking mind that conceived it. 

Even the unapologetically pulpy climax, in which the dial’s time-travelling powers are finally put to use, feels frivolous and offhand. As the antikythera does its history-altering thing, you can’t help but wish someone would twist it back to the point at which this film was commissioned and say: “Actually, do you know what? Four were enough.”

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Really bad particularly considering some articles from publications normally pro Disney and pro their social agenda aswell.

If they can't muster much enthusiasm this might be pretty grim.

It would be nice to have ONE thread not descend into the evils of mythical Liberal agendas.... just one

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

While she’s perfectly decent in the role – and every bit as much the hero of the piece as Ford

Oh dear.

It seems strange that Disney would show this at Cannes with no review embargo.

Instead of six weeks of eager anticipation, they're going have six weeks of poor reviews just sitting out there and Mission Impossible opening 12 days after it.

It seems like sabotage.

MI is going to hurt it for sure, a lot of cinema goers will not go to the cinema more than once a month, which is going to win , a poorly reviewed film or one that has momentum behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

And have people not try to make every single thing revolve around their opinions, shirley you jest.

All depends on the projections: I can't believe this is expected to kick doors down. And if it's marked for quick migration to Disney+ then maybe box office won't matter so much.

Its not like Disney can write cheques to themselves and call it a win. The film cost in the $250-$300m range plus marketing. The only way to get that back is in ticket sales, Disney+ subscriptions or write it off as a marketing vanity project. Unless it does really well in the cinema it will be seen as an L for Disney?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Apparently Indie 5 is even worse than Crystal Skull.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,014 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Another minor featurette. Im not liking the color shades , dull and lifeless. The lighting on nighttime scenes not much better like most modern movies. Watch Rambo's breakdown in First Blood to see nighttime lit to perfection.

Compare to TLC trailer that looks visceral ,cinematic and beaming with multcolor. Proper moviemaking

The overuse of digital effects on the new film tells me it wasn't a labor of love and just another consumer product.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

I wonder if Ford knew this film would be sh!t but he couldn't resist one last big pay check before retirement ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The overuse of digital effects on the new film tells me it wasn't a labor of love and just another consumer product.

of course it's product - Disney own the rights and they want to get one last payday out of them while HF is still available (though I'm sure they're looking at digitally recreating him for future episodes). It's heritage cinema aimed squarely at middle-aged fans of the first 3 films.

Payday is debatable based on the cost and poor reviews 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

• Registered Users Posts: 32,277 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Jeepers that is a lot of money.

The last one made about 790m...the reviews seem worse for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'll be happy enough if it's just an entertaining enough time at the cinema. I find a lot of the hand-wringing about it to be overdone. We all know it's not going to come within an asses roar of the classics and the original trilogy is still going to be there, so I'm okay with it just being what it is without it being downright bad.

• Advertisement

apparently the plot is posted somewhere on Reddit, if true and you dont want you're hero led around by the nose and have major decisions make by the side kick for him, you will be disappointed

Advertisement