Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSAP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭auskid

These scores will gurantee arts ..normally the 60's is enough...ye have nothing to worry about..well done both excellent scores

Also just wondering why people are choosing arts...if its for teaching purposes i would advise to start checking the teaching topic here on boards.ie its very imformative with help and info...some negative i might add but your as well off knowing what your uo against...especially when unlike most masters the pme teaching takes your first year scores into account in application process ,,,something that shocks a lot of second years as they hadnt looked into it yet...well done again everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Fame and Demise

Mod 1: Scaled score 145 - 95th percentile

Mod 2: Scaled score 101 - 67th percentile

Overall: Scaled score 123 - 86th percentile

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Waylander1982

auskid wrote: »
    These scores will gurantee arts ..normally the 60's is enough...ye have nothing to worry about..well done both excellent scores

I was just wondering, where did you get the number of 60 from? Seems a bit low.

I was just wondering, where did you get the number of 60 from? Seems a bit low.

In the 65 th percentile..not really..
    Thats in the 90's aggregate wise..

• Advertisement

In the 65 th percentile..not really..
    Thats in the 90's aggregate wise..

As I understand it, the 90 (65 precentile) is the cut off point only. This, unfortunately, will not guarantee a place.

Perhaps I am wrong on this, if so please correct me :)

As I understand it, the 90 (65 precentile) is the cut off point only. This, unfortunately, will not guarantee a place.

Perhaps I am wrong on this, if so please correct me :)

All i can go on is my own experience..in my own class of social science which has a higher entry requirement we discussed the msap on a number of occasions and compred scores people in the 70 th percentile and higher got in no problem...and ive seen the matures in arts this year as i am doing a hdipvin history which means im taking modules in first second and third year history and in my honest opinion the standard was higher in the social science..so i would imagine those people would have been in a lower percentile...i making generalisations here aswell though...also the dropout of matures is high so many are left in knowing upwards of 40% will fall away over the first 2 years...

All i can go on is my own experience..in my own class of social science which has a higher entry requirement we discussed the msap on a number of occasions and compred scores people in the 70 th percentile and higher got in no problem...and ive seen the matures in arts this year as i am doing a hdipvin history which means im taking modules in first second and third year history and in my honest opinion the standard was higher in the social science..so i would imagine those people would have been in a lower percentile...i making generalisations here aswell though...also the dropout of matures is high so many are left in knowing upwards of 40% will fall away over the first 2 years...

Well that certainly gives some much needed, and appreciated, perspective. Thanks, consider me optimistic :)

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    Top 17 % let's not get carried away. Haha.
    I applied for Arts in UCC..and am confident 119 will be good enough.
    I am applying as a second chance student so fingers crossed on the tuition fees.

Second chance meaning you have previously attended college...was it evel 8 and up to which year

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Yes...did not complete first year of a degree course back in 88/89 in Cork RTC back then.
    The equivalent degree today is a level 8 in CIT.

• Advertisement

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    Yes...did not complete first year of a degree course back in 88/89 in Cork RTC back then.
    The equivalent degree today is a level 8 in CIT.

As far as i know you wont get a grant for 1st year but it will kick in then in second year...thats what generally happens allthough i dont know how it will go being that long ago..have thought about saying nothing about it and playing dumb if its comes up...thats definately the route id be taking

Too late I've already mentioned it as I did a level 6 in the same college from 89/91. The fees office told me it was before free fees in 96...so I should be ok but I'm still anxious about it.

who did you mention it to UCC or what.....so did you pay for 1st year in rtc 89/90 yourself

Yeah I mentioned it to ucc as there's a form for mature students where you declare if you've been to college before...and yes I paid for first year myself

Ok ...so far your fine...UCC have absolutely nothing to do with the grant..you will have to apply to S.U.S.I for it and my advice is to not mention any of this ...there ok to deal with aswell...if you completed the level 6 it is safe to mention this..say nothing about the other course and play dumb if its pulled up..which it wont be...the most important thing about your grant is your income...there are cut off points..are you single or married and if so any children under 23

I've already applied to SUSI and mentioned it there...I hope as I paid the fees in first year of the degree that I'll be ok..but I'm sorry I mentioned it now as I thought it was so long ago it wouldn't be a problem.

cancel the application and starting it again in a couple of months when you get your place..you have till july 10th to apply...its worth a try...are you within the income boundary to receive it

Yeah I reckon I'm in the income boundary to receive it...but I checked the status of my Susi application today and it's been received and provisionally assessed..I might try ringing them tomorrow..thanks for your help btw

No bother any other qns just shoot um my way...there is no corner that i have not cut...office i haven't rang or knack that is there to be pulled that i haven't pulled....ha ha..Jesus that sounds terrible...just wondering..why arts..you've a good msap there..is there a longterm plan

To be honest there is no long term plan..it was 25 yrs since I sat an exam before Msap and I surprised myself with my results..I'm 45 now and am interested in doing a degree for personal fulfillment..so an Arts degree has a wide range of subject choices..ill just choose what I'm interested in

• Advertisement

Have you thought about social science...much better for mature students..much better department to deal with and very much dedicated to matures...there will be loads of like minded people in there...First year has sociology, social policy, philosophy, economics, psychology criminology in it and in 2nd and 3rd you branch out into all sorts of areas...there is dedicated masters in social work for social science graduate aswell..run by the same department...Arts is a bit of a Zoo..impersonal and easy to get lost in the giant classes..just a few ideas ..never too late to change the C.A.O...with arts you have to do a masters to get a job or do the teaching masters

No I haven't thought about social science..tbh it doesn't really interest me..I'd really like to study languages as I enjoyed them in school..maybe Portugese and Italian avoiding the big classes..I've visited theses countries and really enjoyed them. I'm not going to college to study for a job..I made that mistake first time around. It's the wisdom of old age haha. Btw are u a mature student.

Have you looked at the U.CC book of modules to see what each subject will entail there pretty good to plan out your route

Good for you...I hope it works out for you..I just hope I get my tuition fees paid otherwise I won't be able to afford to go. If they refuse I could defer my place for a year and reapply to Susi next year...but I reckon it's now or never.

i reckon youll get it...ring susi and ask them what they think ..if they sound dodgy on it..cancel it and start the process again youll get a different application number...will you be getting BTEA

No btea unfortunately..how do I cancel my application do u know?

ring them and tell them you to cancel it then just reapply online when your ready

Have you read this thread looks positive for you..might be worth asking a question on it to see how the people in the exact same situation as you got on last year with susi..link below

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057456082&page=2

Looks ok for me based on that..my gap is 25 years..and free fees didn't come in til 1996 so thanks for that ..maybe I'll be ok after all

I don't think it will make a difference tbh as I'm currently not in receipt of any sw payment

• Advertisement

Rang Susi this morning and the guy said due to new rules this year once there's a 5 year gap between level 8 courses..there should be no problem..but from what I've heard the information they give out over the phone can be unreliable.

Advertisement