Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSAP

Options
  • 06-03-2016 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

How did everyone find the test yesterday, I hate them kinda tests, like I feel confident but their is no way for sure knowing how I did, I finished quickly and had time to look over it but still having doubts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

I sat mine in Galway.

Like yourself, I think I did ok but then again...:confused:.

The essays were grand but the humanities questions were a mixed bunch.

I wasn't too fond of the 'anarchist' questions tbh.

Will just have to wait and see, I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Fame and Demise

The humanities questions were a bit weird, I felt. Like with some of them each of the answers could be the right one. I'm pretty slow at reading as well, so I thought a couple of the passages were a bit too long.

The essays were ok I think. I came out of it pretty confident that I did well, but the more I thought about it the more I think I might have just rambled incoherently for a few pages without particularly addressing the topic properly.

I suppose it's best just to forget about it for a few weeks until the results come out. No point stressing about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

I did mine in the Cork center.

I thought I did fairly well at the essays. Took up all the space available for them anyway and don't think i wrote total ****e so thats encouraging.

The question parts were a bit tricky though. The anarchist questions were tricky and some of the reading sections I found a bit tough simply because of the back and forth needed for them. Reading the questions before reading the passages did help a bit though. As ye said though, its hard to know how you have done in the questions because all the questions and answers are fairly ambiguous.

How many weeks till results and college offers do ye know.? June.?

What are ye hoping to study.?

The Msap site says the results will be out mid-April.

I just hope I did well enough to get called for interview.

I'm hoping to study Creative Writing at NUIG.

It'll be very tight for a place though. I think there are only 2 for mature students :(.

April isnt too bad. I heard June/July for the first round mature student offers.

My course didnt have an interview. Selection was based on letter of interest and the MSAP.

Hope to study Digital Humanities and Information Technology in UCC. Think there is about six places for my course so the odds are a little better.

• Advertisement

Serjical, fingers crossed that you get your course. :)

It sounds interesting. Did you have any second choice courses?

I only put down one course. That's all I am interested in.

Serjical, fingers crossed that you get your course. :)

It sounds interesting. Did you have any second choice courses?

I only put down one course. That's all I am interested in.

Thanks, I hope you get yours too Partridge.!

I didn't put anything else down. We were advised to put only one course down as it shows that you have a focus and desire for just that course and aren't just applying for everything so that you can go to college for anything subject at all.

The UCC mature student office held a lot of meetings and were available for questions at anytime so they were great. They even held a mock pre MSAP exam two weeks before the real one to help us prepare. It helped an immense amount.!

Its gonna be a long wait to find out eh :/

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Waylander1982

I was just wondering, does anyone have an idea what the MSAP cut off points are for their particular courses. I'm hoping to study Arts at UCC myself and, from what I can find, it seems to be upwards from a 90 precentile. That seems a bit high to me so any perspective you guys could give, in regards to your own courses, would help me get a general lay of the land.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭auskid

No way arts in ucc will be in the 90's ...early 70's at most...when i did it 4 years ago it was in the early 60's

auskid wrote: »
    No way arts in ucc will be in the 90's ...early 70's at most...when i did it 4 years ago it was in the early 60's

Well that certainly makes a bit more sense to me.

The only information I could find, in this regard, was on older threads here. Wherein the 90 percentile was mentioned by a number of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Fame and Demise

I presume it depends year to year. Like there's no point in them having a cut-off percentile because they might only end up with a handful of people

I was just wondering, does anyone have an idea what the MSAP cut off points are for their particular courses. I'm hoping to study Arts at UCC myself and, from what I can find, it seems to be upwards from a 90 precentile. That seems a bit high to me so any perspective you guys could give, in regards to your own courses, would help me get a general lay of the land.

Thanks in advance.

From what I understand, the 90 refers to your scaled score out of 150. There is no way that you would need to have scored in the 90th percentile. That would mean that only the top 10 per cent of people would be offered a place, which wouldn't be realistic.

From what I understand, the 90 refers to your scaled score out of 150. There is no way that you would need to have scored in the 90th percentile. That would mean that only the top 10 per cent of people would be offered a place, which wouldn't be realistic.

That is pretty much in line with how I was thinking. It makes sense that the Unversities would work from the highest precentiles down, until all alloted places are filled.

I just got some conflicting info in a number of other threads, gave me a bit of a panic attack:( Who would have thought that Boards is not the best place for reliable information..WEIRD! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭compo1

That is pretty much in line with how I was thinking. It makes sense that the Unversities would work from the highest precentiles down, until all alloted places are filled.

I just got some conflicting info in a number of other threads, gave me a bit of a panic attack:( Who would have thought that Boards is not the best place for reliable information..WEIRD! :D
    It depends a lot on how many places are available. You'll get your results as a score and as a percentile. A percentile of 82 got me into Arts in UCC no bother. That was last year.
    Results usually late June/early July, with offer, if you're lucky, a few weeks later.
    Then you'll be contacted about the Mature Student Orientation Day. (Information Overload!!!)
    Don't worry if you feel a bit lost at the start; we're all like that.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Any idea when we will be hearing back regarding results and whether we will be accepted

astonaidan wrote: »
    Any idea when we will be hearing back regarding results and whether we will be accepted

The MSAP website says the results will be out mid- April. Another week I'd say?

astonaidan wrote: »

It says the results are out 6 weeks after the exam. So I would expect some time after the 16th.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jacquelinem

HI. Did anyone get their MSAP 2016 scores yet? The six weeks is up.....I applied for Arts and Social Work in UCC and am wondering what the cut off is....thks

HI. Did anyone get their MSAP 2016 scores yet? The six weeks is up.....I applied for Arts and Social Work in UCC and am wondering what the cut off is....thks

I just got mine now written English really let me down 72 overall percentile 😢

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

I got mine this morning as well.

Module 1. 134. 86%ile

Module 2. 104. 70%ile

Overall. 119. 81%ile.

• Advertisement

I got an email from them this morning with my results too.

Which are good (I think). Anyone have any input on that?

Module 1. 135 scaled. 87%

Module 2. 104 scaled. 70%

Overall. 120 scaled. 83%

So that places me in the top 17% in the country i think.

Does anyone know how this will stand to me for UCC.?

It looks like me and Mac_Lad71 had very similar results.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Top 17 % let's not get carried away. Haha.
    I applied for Arts in UCC..and am confident 119 will be good enough.
    I am applying as a second chance student so fingers crossed on the tuition fees.

Module 1: Scaled score 132 - 81 Precentile
    Module 2: Scaled score 96 - 56 Precentile :(
    Overall: Scaled score 114 - 73 Precentile.

I am completely gutted! I was hoping to do Arts in UCC, this does not bode well for me I think.

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    Top 17 % let's not get carried away. Haha.
    I applied for Arts in UCC..and am confident 119 will be good enough.
    I am applying as a second chance student so fingers crossed on the tuition fees.

hahah well it does sound silly but it means that we did better than 83% of the people who sat the exam and 17% of people did better than us.

Overall: 73 Precentile.

I am completely gutted! I was hoping to do Arts in UCC, this does not bode well for me I think.

I have no idea of the cut off for all this. I wouldn't worry too much until you know that. Maybe try ringing the mature students office?

I'm looking for Digital Humanities and IT in UCC which is under Arts too. I think there is 6 places for mature students on that course.

I have no idea of the cut off for all this. I wouldn't worry too much until you know that. Maybe try ringing the mature students office?

I'm looking for Digital Humanities and IT in UCC which is under Arts too. I think there is 6 places for mature students on that course.

Congratulations on your score :) I would be quiet confident if I were in your shoes. Well done!

I called the Mature Students office and they said they will get back to me, as they didnt know the cut off yet. CK101 has 75 places for Mature Students so I am not completely devastated......yet.

Overall: Scaled score 114 - 73 Precentile.

Why are you gutted? :confused:

AFAIK, Arts in UCC needs a scaled score of around 90. You achieved 114. I'd say you will get a place no problem with plenty to spare.

Don't worry, be happy! :pac:

Module 1: Scaled score 142 - 93rd Percentile

Module 2: Scaled score 116 - 86th Percentile

Overall: Scaled score 129 - 92nd Percentile.

I'm happy with that :-) , although I have no idea whether it is good enough as there are only 2 places for matures on my chosen course.

Well done to all of you who sat the exam and I hope you get the course of your choice.

Why are you gutted? :confused:

AFAIK, Arts in UCC needs a scaled score of around 90. You achieved 114. I'd say you will get a place no problem with plenty to spare.

Don't worry, be happy! :pac:

From my understanding, a scaled score of 90 is only the cut off point, and does not guarantee a placement. Places are filled from the highest score/percentile down, so it depends on the amount of people with a 74 percentile or higher i.e. 1/4.

Congratulations on your own score, its quiet impressive. I'm sure it will get you your course. Best of luck.

• Advertisement

So guys, is it the scaled score which I scored 113 or the percentile which Im 72% which is what I get judged acceptable for NUIG. I emailed the mature officer their and asked her this question and she replied 80
    I cleared it up with her the scaled score judges your eligibility, the 72% is whether you get accepted, I nearly had a heart attack when she told me 80

Advertisement