Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Looking at pick up a bottle of something for a friend's birthday between 30-40 quid.

From reading back through some of this thread the Roe & Co is well worth it on offer for 25/30 quid - cheapest I've seen is 35 euro @ SuperValu

The Irishman Founders reserve seems well regarded at this price point around 35 -40 euro. Not sure if this set is available in many stores
    https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/wine-beer-spirits-irish-whiskey-irishman-founders-reserve-70-centilitre-/p-1093785000

Jameson Crested on offer at 30

Jameson Black Barrel on offer at 38

Any thoughts on the above? I understand it's subjective to each individual and it's most definitely not a one size fits all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

glic83 wrote: »
    Looking at pick up a bottle of something for a friend's birthday between 30-40 quid.

From reading back through some of this thread the Roe & Co is well worth it on offer for 25/30 quid - cheapest I've seen is 35 euro @ SuperValu

The Irishman Founders reserve seems well regarded at this price point around 35 -40 euro. Not sure if this set is available in many stores
    https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/wine-beer-spirits-irish-whiskey-irishman-founders-reserve-70-centilitre-/p-1093785000

Any thoughts on the above? I understand it's subjective to each individual and it's most definitely not a one size fits all.

Just looking at the SuperValu website there I would go for

Connemara -€35

Method and Madness Single Grain - €45

Writers Tears Copper Pot - €40

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

glic83 wrote: »

How about the€36 Potstill minis set of 4 small bottles .Far superior quality , one of which is a €250/260 full sized bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

This years Dream Cask will be announced on the 16th of May and will be on sale on the 18th.

Island Isolation Lockdown tasting number 6 Friday May 22nd 7:30 p.m.

We are please to announce our next online event “Island Isolation†where we sample 6 whiskies from the Island’s of Scotland. There will be whisky from Arran, Islay, Jura, Mull(pictured), Skye and Orkney which have a kaleidoscope of flavours for you to try.

Resident Scot, Michael Foggarty will guide us through this unique landscape of these islands and their whiskies.

On sale now for anyone interested on the L Mulligan Grocers website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Cazale wrote: »
    Island Isolation Lockdown tasting number 6 Friday May 22nd 7:30 p.m.

We are please to announce our next online event “Island Isolation†where we sample 6 whiskies from the Island’s of Scotland. There will be whisky from Arran, Islay, Jura, Mull(pictured), Skye and Orkney which have a kaleidoscope of flavours for you to try.

Resident Scot, Michael Foggarty will guide us through this unique landscape of these islands and their whiskies.

On sale now for anyone interested on the L Mulligan Grocers website.

Out of stock already!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

NIMAN wrote: »
    Re: the L Mulligan tasting events.

How many places are on them?

When they are on Zoom, do you have your camera showing yourself, or can you take part with no video?

You can have both camera and mic muted. They actually mute the mic when they get started after everyone is logged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Where do they announce the events?
    Can’t see any recently on FB.

It's World Whiskey Day today. I got myself a place on Master of Malts and That Boutique-y Whisky company's World Whiskey Summit tonight. There will be representatives from distilleries from South Africa, India, Sweden, Canada and Holland along with the more traditional whiskey producing counties. Only 100 places on zoom but think it might be on Facebook too. Looking forward to it.

Mellor wrote:
    Where do they announce the events? Can’t see any recently on FB.

They announce them on Twitter or you can sign up for emails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

I picked up a bottle of Lagavulin 16 about a year ago. It was the first time I’d tasted an Islay whisky, and I loved it. The bottle probably only lasted a few weeks.

Since then, I’ve tried a heap of different Islays. Some were nice (Bowmore 15) but others were just too peaty (Caol Ila).

I’ve finally gotten round to picking up another Lagavulin, and I have to say, it really is a great whisky. It’s definitely the pick of the bunch for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭KinnegadKid

What were your thoughts on the Lagavulin 16...I have one here ..considering opening it soon

Cazale wrote:
    This years Dream Cask will be announced on the 16th of May and will be on sale on the 18th.

This years Dream Cask release is a 28 year old ruby port single pot still whiskey. €490 for 500ml bottle at 51.5%. On sale through the birdhouse member site on 25th of May at 3pm.

What were your thoughts on the Lagavulin 16...I have one here ..considering opening it soon

One of my top ten whiskeys. Smoke, dried fruits and sea salt. Whats not to like! Open it.

Found this at the back of the whiskey cupboard. You inspired me to open it up.

Cazale wrote:
    It's World Whiskey Day today. I got myself a place on Master of Malts and That Boutique-y Whisky company's World Whiskey Summit tonight. There will be representatives from distilleries from South Africa, India, Sweden, Canada and Holland along with the more traditional whiskey producing counties. Only 100 places on zoom but think it might be on Facebook too. Looking forward to it.

Very informative night. Loving these whiskey nights in the kitchen!

Found this at the back of the whiskey cupboard. You inspired me to open it up.

I'm finishing a bottle of crested ten now first....let me know how you get on...I have the Lagavulin a few years now...mite its needs airing :)

It’s one of my favourite whiskeys. It’d be criminal for you not to open it. Give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Yeah one of my favourites. Brother got me a present of one at Christmas. I'm a big fan of Islay malts and this is my favourite.

Edit picked up a powers gold label. Not bad. Usually go for the three swallows but hard to resist at €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

On the topic of Islay, was looking to pull the trigger on either the Ardbeg Corryveckan or Uigeadail and not sure which to go for. Would people here rate one more than the other? I know Corry is meant to be more of an intense pure peat bomb which is definitely up my alley but the supposed complex sherry/peat combo of the Uige always sounded very interesting to me.

I'm a huge Laphroaig fanboy and really like Ardbeg 10 too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

New around these parts of boards.....

Currently sipping on a glass of Talisker 10.

On the topic of Islay, was looking to pull the trigger on either the Ardbeg Corryveckan or Uigeadail and not sure which to go for. Would people here rate one more than the other? I know Corry is meant to be more of an intense pure peat bomb which is definitely up my alley but the supposed complex sherry/peat combo of the Uige always sounded very interesting to me.

I'm a huge Laphroaig fanboy and really like Ardbeg 10 too.

If you like Laphroaig, then either Ardbeg Corryveckan or Uigeadail should be right up your street. Caol Ila is also one to consider if you like intensely peated whisky.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Uigeadail is a classic Ardbeg, but you can't really go wrong with Corryveckan either.

I seem to be drinking a lot of whisky in lockdown!

Just polished off a bottle of Talisker 10, one of my go-to longstanding favourites. Now I have opened the Game of Thrones edition Lagavulin 9.

I'm a big Lagavulin fanboy, and I think if I was limited to a single whisky, let alone a single Islay, it would be Lagavulin 16. You have to go all around whisky world to realise just how complete the 16 is.

Their distillery edition is pleasant for those who look for more of a cask finish, and there's a brash robustness to the airport retail special 10... I think the only one in the standard line up I haven't tried yet is actually the 8.

Anyway, getting back to the 9 ... I wouldn't ordinarily have sought out a Game of Thrones bottling, but this was a gift, and I've been pleasantly surprised. It's an exceptionally good Lagavulin... Amazing heather and honey notes, to the point that even my wife (Not known for her love of Islays) is digging it.

I have a bottle of Uigeadail but have the Corryveckan on my to buy list. Neither are for the faint hearted. The best description I heard of the Uigeadail is that it's like getting a punch in the face but wanting more. The sweetness from the sherry and the smoky peat works really well together and I think that just pips the Corryveckan. As you say the Corryveckan is an intense peat monster but it lacks the subtly of the Uigeadail.

I'm finishing a bottle of crested ten now first....let me know how you get on...I have the Lagavulin a few years now...mite its needs airing

It was nicer last night than this morning!

Cazale wrote:
    This years Dream Cask release is a 28 year old ruby port single pot still whiskey. €490 for 500ml bottle at 51.5%. On sale through the birdhouse member site on 25th of May at 3pm.

What do people think about this one? Last years Dream Cask 20 year old had mixed reviews compared to the initial Dream Cask 32. The recently released 27 year old is finished in ruby port casks so it's hard not to compare it to that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What do people think about this one? Last years Dream Cask 20 year old had mixed reviews compared to the initial Dream Cask 32. The recently released 27 year old is finished in ruby port casks so it's hard not to compare it to that one.
    I know zero details of this years Dream Cask.
    But I imagine that the oldest casks is >28 years. Whereas the 27, is a straight 27year old.

Edit:
    Oldest cask was distilled in 1989

It was nicer last night than this morning!

Overindulged ?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭sceach16

L Mulligan tasting Pearse Lyons

Tickets will go on sale at 7 p.m. this evening follow the link below.

https://www.lmulliganwhiskeyshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=pearsetasting

Cut and paste from email

• Advertisement

Overindulged ?

In my defence it was World Whiskey Day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement