Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

How often does Roe & Co come up on offer for 25 euro at Tesco? cheapest I've seen recently is 35 euro at Super Valu

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

glic83 wrote: »
    How often does Roe & Co come up on offer for 25 euro at Tesco? cheapest I've seen recently is 35 euro at Super Valu

Iv only seen it at that price once! Which was a few weeks (possibly months) ago. Fairly bad at judging time at the moment. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

It's been that price twice I think, first time was back in December time when they do that offer on all the Diageo whiskeys (Talisker, Cardhu etc.) i'm almost certain anyway. Then again a few weeks back when there were other whiskey offers, I think the caskmates were €25 and Crested as well but i'm not too sure on that. I wouldn't expect it too many times a year as I'd say sales are decent enough, i've seen non-whiskey drinkers picking up a bottle and drinking it mixed and it seems popular in cocktails and stuff as well when the pubs were open. Black Bush seems to be on offer for €25 every few weeks either in Tesco or O' Briens.

Search this thread and you'll find the dates or just follow it and check it regularly, one of us will spot it if its reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 thethinone

glic83 wrote: »

I picked it up for €25 in Tesco a day or two before paddy’s day this year. Every other time I’ve seen it on special it’s been for €35.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Re: the L Mulligan tasting events.

How many places are on them?

When they are on Zoom, do you have your camera showing yourself, or can you take part with no video?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

NIMAN wrote: »
    Re: the L Mulligan tasting events.
    How many places are on them?
    When they are on Zoom, do you have your camera showing yourself, or can you take part with no video?

I think it's 70 -100, there is a max on Zoom of 100 participants iirc.

On Zoom, you can hide video and mute your mic if you want. Some people left video on, but I think organiser mutes the other participants also sometimes.

See Zoom 'safe driving mode' option:
    https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362973-What-Is-Safe-Driving-Mode-

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,188 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You always have the option to turn off mic and camera. I had a 7:30 meeting this morning with 25 people. I just joined from my and lay there. No whiskey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I got the Roe & Coe last time it was 25 after the positive reviews in here, it was grand, I personally was blown away by it, 25 seems about right for me.

And what is the format roughly?

I am guessing each sample of talked about by an expert while you sample it?

Is there open questions allowed as it's going on?

How long does each whiskey get?

How long does entire session last?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

This. Beautiful.

Nikka-Coffey-Grain-776x1176.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Currently investigating this:

Dubliner-Coffee-Stout-9.jpg

First impressions are..well, mixed. It's got a very robust coffee flavour (no surprises there), but it is quite intense and will need a few more tastings to form a better opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Felexicon wrote: »
    L Mulligan have another tasting just gone live for purchase.

For Lockdown tasting number 5 we are delighted to welcome Rowan Lacey to our virtual tasting room.

Rowan has been passionate about Irish whiskey and other spirits for several years and began communicating this to others through a whiskey blog set up in 2016. He joined Irish Distillers as a Brand Ambassador in 2018 and, after working in France for a year, is now based in Ireland, where he provides education and training on Irish Distillers’ portfolio of whiskeys and premium spirits.

On the night we will be sampling -

Jameson Black Barrel
    Green Spot
    Redbreast 12 year old 
    Redbreast Lustau
    Method & Madness Wild Cherry
    Midleton Dair Ghaelach Knockrath Forrest

How big are the samples? I'm not a fan of tastings but for 40 quid I'd be tempted to just buy the samples if they're not tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

How does the Dubliner coffee stout compare to the Caskmates stout edition?

And what is the format roughly?
    I am guessing each sample of talked about by an expert while you sample it?
    Is there open questions allowed as it's going on?
    How long does each whiskey get?
    How long does entire session last?

Samples about 20-25ml, and the expert was running through tasting notes on them as we went along.
    The expert was talking about the distillery though as much as the specific whisky, it was kinda a mini tour of Speyside.
    The last session had 6 whiskies and ran from 730-915 or so, so that's about 15-20 minutes per whisky.
    You could type questions and every now and then the moderator would refer them to the expert, but it was rather informal and laid back.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    How does the Dubliner coffee stout compare to the Caskmates stout edition?

I found the Jameson Stout to be far more palatable, to be honest. Now, having said that, I didn't like the Jameson Stout overall, I found the IPA version far nicer.

Jameson Stout was far smoother, far more accessible but with the associated sourness of coffee evident on the palate.

I'll hold off on an opinion of the Liberties Coffee Stout for the moment until I have a few more tastes.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Samples about 20-25ml, and the expert was running through tasting notes on them as we went along.
    The expert was talking about the distillery though as much as the specific whisky, it was kinda a mini tour of Speyside.
    The last session had 6 whiskies and ran from 730-915 or so, so that's about 15-20 minutes per whisky.
    You could type questions and every now and then the moderator would refer them to the expert, but it was rather informal and laid back.

Thanks for that.

Are they aimed at people who know about their whiskies?

Would a complete newbie enjoy it?

Thanks for that.
    Are they aimed at people who know about their whiskies?
    Would a complete newbie enjoy it?

The tasting I did was focused on Speyside region of Scotland, so I think it presumed you knew a bit about it as a region and its style versus other Scottish regions.

The technical stuff about the distilleries wouldn't be for newbies.

But I think all, including a complete newbie, would enjoy the tasting notes section.

I think there was an Ireland v Scotland tasting which seemed more like one a newbie would appreciate (or rather would have less content they wouldn't get).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The tasting I did was focused on Speyside region of Scotland, so I think it presumed you knew a bit about it as a region and its style versus other Scottish regions.

The technical stuff about the distilleries wouldn't be for newbies.

But I think all, including a complete newbie, would enjoy the tasting notes section.

I think there was an Ireland v Scotland tasting which seemed more like one a newbie would appreciate (or rather would have less content they wouldn't get).

Ireland v Scotland is tonight. My samples are sitting here waiting patiently!

Am still waiting on mine for tomorrow night... it's a long way from Tipperary distillery to Dublin maybe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Looking forward to it. Any word on what the samples are yet? I know the Irish ones are from Kilbeggan but didn't hear what the Scottish ones are.

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote:
    Am still waiting on mine for tomorrow night... it's a long way from Tipperary distillery to Dublin maybe

Mine came in the last hour.

Cazale wrote: »
    Looking forward to it. Any word on what the samples are yet? I know the Irish ones are from Kilbeggan but didn't hear what the Scottish ones are.

No idea. And I won't make a fool of myself by guessing! It's part of the excitement.

How was the Irish v Scotland tasting? I missed out on tickets.

The whiskeys tonight for Ireland versus Scotland were:

Kilbeggan Small Batch Rye
    Glen Garioch 1797 Founders Reserve
    Tyrconnell 10 Year Old, Sherry Cask finish
    Auchentoshan Three Wood
    Connemara 12 year old
    Bowmore Vault Edition First Release - Atlantic Sea Salt

All new whiskeys for me. The Bowmore was my favourite by far. Lovely nose on the Tyrconnell too.

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    How was the Irish v Scotland tasting? I missed out on tickets.

Good selection of whiskeys. Very enjoyable and informative.

Glen Garioch Founder's Reserve
    Tyrconnell 10yo Single Malt, Sherry Cask Finish
    Auchentoshan Three Wood
    Connemara Peated 12yo Single Malt
    Bowmore Vaults Edition No. 1

I don't usually like peated whiskeys but the last two were really good. The Bowmore is spectacular.

Only quibble - the samples are small. About 15 ml.

Auchentoshan Three Wood
    Connemara 12 year old

All new whiskeys for me. The Bowmore was my favourite by far. Lovely nose on the Tyrconnell too.

Snap!

Interesting selection. I like Bowmore 12 & 15, but haven’t tasted any of the others. I’ll try again for the next tasting.

15ml is a bit stingy in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bowmore 15 used to be very competitively priced (for a known source, single, 15) but those days are gone. Is there a suspected age for that NAS release?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

Anybody tried The Liberator Irish whiskey? I like a port finish and this looks very interesting. Thinking of ordering this and the new JJ Corry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

Auchentoshan Three Wood
    Connemara 12 year old

Would be interesting to try a tasting with the "Game of Thrones" collection.

search?q=game%20of%20thr

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement