Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭supasoumi99

brinty wrote: »
    Where....

Might be tricky at the moment but I noticed that Glasgow Airport have always had it much cheaper than I have seen anywhere else (including Edinburgh Airport). Picked myself up a bottle for £36 a few months ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

Hogzy wrote: »
    Greenspot Chateau Montelena and Chateau Leoville Barton are €60 each in Mitchell & Sons at the moment. You get a free 50ml miniature of Greenspot with each bottle too. Not a bad price for them.

Just thought id let ye know as there are a few Greenspot regulars on this thread.

Thanks for this - picked up the regular GS for €50. Even with shipping it's cheaper than anywhere else except Amazon - free 5CL bottle with this too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭wandererz

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    That's a great price. I've been keeping an eye out for a bottle, but hard to justify the €89 in CWS. They don't have it in O'Briens.

If one has an Amazon business acount then it works out to E82 for a two bottle pack delivered.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Bottle of Glenfarclas 105 arrived today. Looking forward to having a nip. 60% cask strength though so may be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

A bottle of Middleton Very Rare has just arrived.

Can't wait for 5:00pm!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Just had a sample of Very Rare there, first time trying it. Very smooth at first, but finishes very peppery.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Looking at getting a bottle of Kilbeggan Single Grain Irish Whiskey.
    The website says "Kilbeggan's Single Grain Irish Whiskey has replaced the old 8 year-old Kilbeggan Single Grain."

I'm looking to get the one that was distilled from corn, by Alex Chasko, when he worked there. Does anyone know if the change relates to this being a different whiskey?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭conor678

Booked myself into a virtual whisky tasting session. £30 and you get sent 6 samples and a pass word to a zoom meeting where they talk you through each whisky.

Something different for a weekend and something I have always been interested in giving a go.

I'll let you know how I get on. Also if anyone knows of any other ones pleaselet me know. This one is a bit scotch heavy so would be interested in a predominantly Irish one

https://www.designmynight.com/vouchers/the-live-virtual-whisky-tasting-masterclass/the-live-virtual-whisky-tasting-masterclass

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

conor678 wrote: »
    Booked myself into a virtual whisky tasting session. £30 and you get sent 6 samples and a pass word to a zoom meeting where they talk you through each whisky.

A few of us here have signed up for similar sessions run by L Mulligans whiskey shop - if you step back couple of pages there's some chat about them.
    There's one tonight for Speyside, they run about once a fortnight on friday nights. They sell out quickly though, tonight's has 70 attendees.
    https://www.lmulliganwhiskeyshop.com/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Effects wrote: »
    Looking at getting a bottle of Kilbeggan Single Grain Irish Whiskey.
    The website says "Kilbeggan's Single Grain Irish Whiskey has replaced the old 8 year-old Kilbeggan Single Grain."

I'm looking to get the one that was distilled from corn, by Alex Chasko, when he worked there. Does anyone know if the change relates to this being a different whiskey?

I know the 8 year old Single Grain replaced the 'Greenore', and for sentimental reasons I was annoyed about about that as have fond memories of trips on the Greenore ferry!

The Kilbeggan Small Batch Rye is from Kilbeggan distillery rather than Cooley so I presume not the whiskey you are looking for.

I think Chasko has moved on now to Teelings now -could it be their Single Grain you are thinking of, it has high corn input? Unclear if it has background in Cooley.
    https://www.teelingwhiskey.com/teeling-whiskeys/single-grain-whiskey/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭conor678

Cheers I'll keep an eye on that. I see they have an Ireland vs. Scotland one coming up soon so I will look to get on that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I know a few people have missed out on the last 2.

Tickets go on sale at 5 today

Scotland v Ireland Whiskey Tasting

Our 3rd lockdown tasting is with Stephen Magennis of Beam Suntory and Michael Foggarty of L Mulligan Friday May 8th 7p.m.

Join Michael and Stephen as they go head to head to find who makes the best whisk(e)y!

3 whiskeys from Ireland and 3 from Scotland who will come out on top!

Please include your Eircode for speedy delivery

Price: €34.99 Inc VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Felexicon wrote:
    Tickets go on sale at 5 today

Got mine there now.

And there's another tasting on Saturday 9th May with L Mulligans - I signed up for this one instead:

Saturday 9th May at 7 p.m.
    Mistresses of Malt moves online with a tasting of Jennifer Nickerson’s Tipperary whiskeys.
    As usual (though unusual) we will be starting off with a cocktail, delivered to you pre-batched and bottled before a tasting via conversation of Tipperary ‘Big Field Poitin’ and three lovely expressions of whiskey, one of which has not yet been released!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Samuri Suicide

Just poured myself a drop of Scapa Skiren, one of my favourites. Very smooth with a very slight hint of honey. One of the few bottles where its very difficult to put the lid back on!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

These virtual tastings sounds fun, must sign up for one.

Tbh, I'd really only be interested in an Irish whiskey one.

odyssey06 wrote:
    And there's another tasting on Saturday 9th May with L Mulligans - I signed up for this one instead:

odyssey06 wrote:
    Saturday 9th May at 7 p.m. Mistresses of Malt moves online with a tasting of Jennifer Nickerson’s Tipperary whiskeys. As usual (though unusual) we will be starting off with a cocktail, delivered to you pre-batched and bottled before a tasting via conversation of Tipperary ‘Big Field Poitin’ and three lovely expressions of whiskey, one of which has not yet been released!

Got one of these too. The Scotland v Ireland Whiskey Tasting night sold out in 20 minutes.

Both sold out now.

The "Spey at Home" tasting from L Mulligans was the most craic I've had since this lockdown began... about the closest thing to being in a pub. I think for whisk(e)y tastings it nearly works better at home, more chilled out.

The Speyburn Bradon Orach & Glenkeith Distillery Editions were enjoyable, nice light typical Speysides I would have said.

The Cragganmore 12 year old single malt had some smoke on the finish, unusual for a Speyside, would make a nice post dinner digestif or nightcap.

I like the Glenfiddich 12 year old with its blast of wood & honey on the finish, can see how it divides opinions.

I loved the big rich fruity sherry bomb from the Tamnavulin sherry cask edition - it does exactly what it says on the tin :)
    But that was another one that divided opinion.

And you could taste the quality in the length of the finish from the Macallan 12 year old double cask. Would be nice to share one with James Bond apparently it's his official Scotch.

I had the Tamnavulin as best of the night by a long way.

Wasn't overly impressed with the McCallan tbh.

Thought the Speyburn was lovely and fresh. Almost cleaning the palate as you drink it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Picked up a bottle of Roe & Co last night. I really enjoyed it - very smooth, even though it's 45%. Tasted like a much more expensive whiskey. I'd consider it good value at it's usual price (c.€40), but at €25 in Tesco, it's a steal. I'd recommend it to anybody who hasn't tried it yet.

I bought this when it was on sale as well... i just opened it now. in a different league to blackbush... will definitely pick up a few bottles if it hits 25/30 euro again.
    Would agree some of the notes reminded me of more expensive whiskies...

I bought based on the above recommendation, thanks Mr Yoda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

picachu wrote: »
    I bought this when it was on sale as well... i just opened it now. in a different league to blackbush... will definitely pick up a few bottles if it hits 25/30 euro again.
    Would agree some of the notes reminded me of more expensive whiskies...

I bought based on the above recommendation, thanks Mr Yoda

Glad you liked it. I’ve only a few glasses left in my current bottle, so I’ll need to replace it soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Really enjoyed this myself. Purchased for the first time at Christmas and a second bottle a few weeks ago. Last weekend I bought a bottle of Black Bush (on offer compared to full price Roe & Co) and found it quite rough compared to the Roe & Co., whereas I previously thought they were quite similar.

For me now, the Roe is considerably better than the Black Bush, which I really don't see myself buying again. Just have to hope that the offers for 25/30 euro come up again.

Had a glass of Roe and Co the other night and it's tasty stuff. Bushmills needs to look at what some of the other Irish distillers are doing. Definitely being left behind these days.

L Mulligan have another tasting just gone live for purchase.

For Lockdown tasting number 5 we are delighted to welcome Rowan Lacey to our virtual tasting room.

Rowan has been passionate about Irish whiskey and other spirits for several years and began communicating this to others through a whiskey blog set up in 2016. He joined Irish Distillers as a Brand Ambassador in 2018 and, after working in France for a year, is now based in Ireland, where he provides education and training on Irish Distillers’ portfolio of whiskeys and premium spirits.

On the night we will be sampling -

Jameson Black Barrel
    Green Spot
    Redbreast 12 year old 
    Redbreast Lustau
    Method & Madness Wild Cherry
    Midleton Dair Ghaelach Knockrath Forrest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Cazale wrote: »
    Had a glass of Roe and Co the other night and it's tasty stuff. Bushmills needs to look at what some of the other Irish distillers are doing. Definitely being left behind these days.

Id say Bushmills are happy out selling their product to most of the other distillers. Afterall the majority of new releases are made up of bushmills as the base product. They might not want to be competing with their commercial customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 thethinone

Agree with what people are saying about Roe & Co. Very tasty stuff and great value when it’s on special for €25.

Anyone know who is actually making it for them at the minute?

Felexicon wrote:
    L Mulligan have another tasting just gone live for purchase.

Sold out very quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,188 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Cazale wrote: »
    Bushmill's have a range between the entry level and single malts. But they really don't market it well. Seems to be at the visitor centre and airports mostly.
    Felexicon wrote: »
    Jameson Black Barrel
    Green Spot
    Redbreast 12 year old 
    Redbreast Lustau
    Method & Madness Wild Cherry
    Midleton Dair Ghaelach Knockrath Forrest
    I'd be tempted to buy the set for my Dad, even as a stand alone set that comes after the lockdown.
    thethinone wrote: »
    Agree with what people are saying about Roe & Co. Very tasty stuff and great value when it’s on special for €25.

Anyone know who is actually making it for them at the minute?
    They are pretty tight lipped about that. It's a blend of a few whiskeys. So it's possible that it's not a made entirely by X or Y, but sourced and blended by Roe in their bottle facility.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement