Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Teelings releasing a peated whiskey called Blackpitts soon. Should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

What's an acceptable time to pour your first glass during quarantine?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Felexicon wrote: »

About 4/5 hours earlier than would have been considered acceptable pre-quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 EugeC90

My favorite quote to date is

"Weekend drinking rules apply to weekdays and airport drinking rules apply to weekends"

A healthy dose of Green Spot by a blazing fire in the back garden.

Not bad for a..........what day is it?

• Advertisement

Waterford Whisky are going to start releasing single farm origin bottles in June. It'll be interesting to see if terroir works with whiskey as it does with wine. Hopefully they release a miniature set of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Cazale wrote: »
    Waterford Whisky are going to start releasing single farm origin bottles in June. It'll be interesting to see if terroir works with whiskey as it does with wine. Hopefully they release a miniature set of them.

I never give my working terriers any alcohol.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Already announced that this was pushed back until at least September, no?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Already announced that this was pushed back until at least September, no?

Thats their pilgrim cuvée limited bottling, they are doing 2 single farm mass releases.

Ardbeg are releasing a 25 year old whiskey. Start saving now!

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Strange, I saw it on the L Mulligans website last night after reading the original post but it's not there this morning...

They have just released a Speyside tasting. It's on their website under events

• Registered Users Posts: 28,886 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They have just released a Speyside tasting. It's on their website under events

Sound, am signed up for it now :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Rew wrote: »
    Thats their pilgrim cuvée limited bottling, they are doing 2 single farm mass releases.

Cheers, didn't know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Really enjoying the Powers Old Fashioned in a bottle I must say. 25e in Tesco atm.

odyssey06 wrote:
    Sound, am signed up for it now

Sold out in two hours.

Sold out in two hours.

Yeah I missed out on the Ardbeg one by leaving it too long. Wasn't making the same mistake this time

All set for the Ardbeg night.

Waterford Distillery are having an online chat with their head distiller tomorrow at 12pm on their Facebook page. Should have been their big launch day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Wailin

Yeah got the e mail from them yesterday. They plan on getting the bottles out to those who were going before the rescheduled opening day in September.

The Ardbeg online tasting was a great night. A quick review below. Sample sizes were 15-20ml.

I was always intimidated by the peat in Ardbeg and other Islay whiskeys but a fellow thread member and a previous Ardbeg masterclass at whiskey live won me around. The Ardbeg 10 was first up. Heavily peated as expected. Smells like a bonfire on a beach with the salt from sea in the air. The standard Ardbeg expression. Bottled at 46%.

An Oa was a nice balanced whiskey. Sweeter and not as peaty as the 10. Bottled at 46.6%. Probably the easiest of the core range to drink.

Of the four core whiskeys Uigeadail has always been one of my favourites. Finished in sherry casks and bottled at 54.2%. As someone said tonight it's like being punched in the face and going back for more. A serious whiskey and in the top five in my collection.

I've tried the corryvreckan a couple of times and keep meaning to pick up a bottle. An abv of 57.1% and a nose/palette that lasts for ages. A proper peat monster but a drop of water brings the flavors out with a much creamier smooth finish. I'll get a bottle of it soon.

Drum is Ardbeg finished in rum casks. An abv of 46% the peat was subtler in this one with the tropical notes of pineapple and bananas and a creamy palette. When we added a drop of water it brought the peat back to the fore. Really liked this one.

Serendipity was released in 2005 and was the result of an accidental mixing of 20 % Glen Moray and 80 % 23 year old ardbeg. This had a lovely nose with hints of bubblegum and fresh paint. Soft on the palette and a short finish. A better whiskey on the nose but it didn't translate as well on the palette I thought. Abv of 40%.

Michael Fogarty from L Mulligan Grocers and Paul Tuohy from Ardbeg were great hosts. As someone not living in a big city I really think this will be the way forward for the future. Both hosts discussed how online tasting can reach such a wider audience than traditional nights in shops or pubs. This tasting had 36 people because they only had a limited amount of Drum/serendipity but next weeks sold out Speyside night will have 65 people.

They intend to do them weekly with the following week being Scotland versus Ireland. Three bottles from Kilbeggan and three from Bowmore with an ambassador chatting about them. They will have 100 places on that one and tickets go on sale next week.

• Advertisement

Great review and sounds like an evening well spent in good company. I need to get Ardbeg back into the cabinet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭2011abc

Yes ,great review .GOOD peat ( and amazingly lots of it !) is a totally different proposition to weak or mediocre stuff .I was at a similar Bruichladdich charity tasting last year and loved it .Who runs these ? Speyside sounds like the most accessible for ‘Irish’ fans .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Greenspot Chateau Montelena and Chateau Leoville Barton are €60 each in Mitchell & Sons at the moment. You get a free 50ml miniature of Greenspot with each bottle too. Not a bad price for them.

Just thought id let ye know as there are a few Greenspot regulars on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Got a bottle of Lagavulin 16 for £38. Hopefully it's nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

RasTa wrote:

Where....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

RasTa wrote: »

That's a great price. I've been keeping an eye out for a bottle, but hard to justify the €89 in CWS. They don't have it in O'Briens.

I was in Tesco yesterday. I saw Caskmates down to €25 again, so had to pick up one of each. :D

Supervalu have price cuts too on some whiskies at the moment. Black barrel down to €35.

Amazon, had a voucher and used a friends staff discount. £49 normally

RasTa wrote: »
    Amazon, had a voucher and used a friends staff discount. £49 normally

That's not quite "getting a bottle for £38" then??? A voucher is cash equivalent like.

• Advertisement

That's not quite "getting a bottle for £38" then??? A voucher is cash equivalent like.

Well the voucher was free for making a wishlist

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement